Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

BGE Turn Off Notices

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#1 jwf21403

jwf21403

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

I have often heard that BGE does not turn off electricity in the winter. I think it was November -April.

With the exorbitant bills they have been pumping out this winter, I wonder what they will do. I bet they have a lot of turn off candidates.

The PSC accepted their "it's colder" excuse; but now they are encouraging BGE to work with people that are behind and offer a payment plan.

Any bets on how willing BGE will be to work with someone? Greedy bastards!
Tune in for the sharpest commentary for all things Anne Arundel at Eye on Annapolis! Follow me on Twitter.

#2 discojamal

discojamal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

the 'it's colder' excuse is pure BS
"That's not what your mother said last night, Trabek!"

#3 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,421 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:45 AM

anybody run stats on temperatures this winter? Seems to me, outside of a few short cold snaps, it hasn't been all that cold.

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,755 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:55 AM

anybody run stats on temperatures this winter? Seems to me, outside of a few short cold snaps, it hasn't been all that cold.

I was thinking the same thing
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 Costanza

Costanza

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

http://www.baltimore...0,5694557.story

#6 krj9999

krj9999

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:05 PM

For Baltimore (using data from BWI), total heating degree days were:

772 in February 2009 (compared to 764 in 2008 with one extra day)
1099 in January 2009 (compared to 911 in 2008)
817 in December 2008 (compared to 841 in 2007)
587 in November 2008 (compared to 562 in 2007)

So this winter has been significantly colder than last year.

#7 Sedu

Sedu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,763 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:07 PM

I can understand why people are upset about their high energy bills, but it is no conspiracy. My electric bill has doubled since the rate increase but it is easy to track my usage by reading my meter so I know the bill is correct. I am using the same average daily electric as last year, about 525kw in a 30 day month. So there is no mystery here---the rates have skyrocketed not my usage.
Are you eyeballing me punk?

#8 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,356 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

From the Washington Post:

"Of particular concern are tens of thousands of Pepco, Washington Gas and BGE customers who could lose service April 1, when a winter restriction on shut-offs ends.

Maryland utility officials told the Public Service Commission that they are stepping up efforts to reach vulnerable customers and to offer them payment plans that can spread out their debt. "Our goal is to assist customers in any way possible," said Jeannette Mills, BGE's senior vice president of customer relations and account services. But 70 percent of customers on payment plans default, officials said."

http://www.washingto...2603735_pf.html

#9 Wizard777

Wizard777

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,146 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

Ah Hell! I can remember when Winter started in November and could last until March. Winter used to be a season that lasted months. Not weeks as it currently does.
Support The Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008 !
Marijuana Policy Project
We too have a dream. A dream in which we are judged by what we do instead of what we smoke. A dream in which we are not at "war" with a Government we would rather serve than fight. Everyone need somewhere to belong

#10 aliensquirl

aliensquirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

Those people with overdue utility bills don't have anything to worry about. All they have to do is let Obama know and he'll pay it for them. This will be another excuse for him to spend (read 'waste') the government money.

#11 baltimoreron

baltimoreron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,418 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:47 PM

The PSC accepted their "it's colder" excuse; but now they are encouraging BGE to work with people that are behind and offer a payment plan.

The raises for O'Malley's PSC seem to be well-deserved. No way Ehrlich's PSC comes up with a brilliant plan like that. ;)

BGomallEy
Old & Busted - Big Ben. New hotness - Joe Cool.
... R.I.P. Arch

#12 jwf21403

jwf21403

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:54 PM

Agreed that the energy usage is consistent (if not down a bit due to conservation from the 74% rate hike), but it is still a tough nut to swallow!
Tune in for the sharpest commentary for all things Anne Arundel at Eye on Annapolis! Follow me on Twitter.

#13 aliensquirl

aliensquirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

I have often heard that BGE does not turn off electricity in the winter. I think it was November -April.

With the exorbitant bills they have been pumping out this winter, I wonder what they will do. I bet they have a lot of turn off candidates.

Any bets on how willing BGE will be to work with someone? Greedy bastards!

All of your questions and wonderings are included in the article at http://www.baltimore...0,5694557.story .

#14 baftab

baftab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

My experience with my January usage bill is a bit different from most. I mostly agree with everyone, and think there are 2 issues here. The first is about shear cost of energy being very high and too much for a "normal" user to easily afford. The 2nd issue is BGE billing practices. Personally, I think BGE should be forced to buy electricity in the short term to lower costs for users. I don't see why we have to pay for their poor timing of the energy markets. Here's my experience with a crazy January bill.
I successfully challenged the electricity usage quoted in my bill for January. I contacted BGE and after almost 4 weeks, finally got to talk to someone who had a brain, knew what numbers were, and could do something to correct an obvious error on BGE's part. My bill covered a 34 day billing period. BGE, for some unknown reason, took 2 meter readings covering the last 28 days of the period. They then "estimated" the usage for the 6 days on the front end of the period. This is what I found...
The meter readings indicated that my usage was 39 kWh/day for the last 28 days in the cycle, during the coldest temperatures of the month (Avg. ~30 degrees). Then they estimated that for the 6 days on the front end of the billing period I used 106 kWh/day when the avg. temperature was 44 degrees. Estimating in this fashion is not correctable by nature. They tried to slip one by me and got caught. They also proceeded to make it ever so frustrating to correct the obvious error and sent me numerous responses by mail and by phone indicating that my problem was with mother nature's cold temperature. In the end a person from thier investigation department, who concluded in a letter that she "found no irregularities" finally admitted to the obvious error when I called her asking her to qualify her findings with the meter reading and temperature data. In the end, they lopped off the 40% increase in my usage/bill and apologized. I say they should rot in hell. I suggest that if you can do some simple math, call BGE, ask for a supervisor, get the meter read/estimation data for the ENTIRE billing period and see if you can uncover a similar abuse of estimated charges. Estimating on the front end of a bill IS NOT corrected by later meter reads!!!!

#15 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,356 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

What would happen if everyone in the state banned together and boycotted BGE by not paying their bills? Would BGE shutoff everyone's electricity? Hmmmmm.

#16 jwf21403

jwf21403

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

What would happen if everyone in the state banned together and boycotted BGE by not paying their bills? Would BGE shutoff everyone's electricity? Hmmmmm.

Interesting....

You can also turn your meter upside down and it will run backwards (think turning back an odometer). But then the seal is broken and you committed a felony I believe.

I have heard that for some reason if you put a sand bag on top of the meter, liike a sock filled with playground sand, that the meter will run slower. Maybe something to do with the iron in the sand.

#17 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,356 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

Wouldn't a strong magnet stop the thing entirely? The rotating disk seems to be made of metal.

#18 aliensquirl

aliensquirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

Clip the wires. You'll be in the dark, but at least you won't have to worry about that damned disk going round and round and round and ... :cool:

#19 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,061 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:11 PM

Wouldn't a strong magnet stop the thing entirely? The rotating disk seems to be made of metal.

The powers that be might notice that all of the sudden, you're not consuming electricity.

They're really concerned that any continuation of the directive to not turn of the power, simply works as an incentive for folks to not even try to pay. And that makes sense, but I was a little surprised to see the Sun include that in the story.

#20 George-WNEC

George-WNEC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:30 PM

Interesting. I just got a notice that they plan to lower my rates by 25% if I do nothing, but I can lock in my rate for one year at .99...

Anyone else get this and, should we gamble or not? (yes I have already made my decision,,)
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

2 Timothy 4:3-4

"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."

GOD said Hello today, Did you Hear HIM!? :)