Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

How do you buy a rifle or shotgun in Maryland

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 dogfish

dogfish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,374 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

Can you walk a newcomer through the steps?

From a store?

From an individual?
Since 1999

#2 Jaz

Jaz

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:57 AM

Go to Wal Mart, buy shotgun or rifle, go home. There is no waiting period or registration for long guns.

#3 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:47 AM

Not many in the Spring but there will be some coming up.

As opposed to the public perception, a "Gun Show" isn't like a Flea Market where everyone and anyone is walking in & out with guns. Though you will find private sellers, most are Licensed FFL Dealers and can have some exceptional buys during a show.

Do your Homework beforehand as to what you're looking for as in any other major purchase, use your head, not your ego. Consider what you're looking for and why and make your decision accordingly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

#4 MLArthur

MLArthur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,001 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:10 AM

The individual has to be a resident of the state you area resdent of or else you have to do the transfer through an FFL.
In MD the long gun cannot be a "MD regulated" firearm in order to do a "face to face" transaction between to MD residents. If it is a regulated long gun or a regulated handgun, then you have to do do the transfer through either the Maryland State Police, or through a MD regulated firearms dealer.
The exceptions are a transfer between immediate family members and inherited regulated firearms.
Never put off procrastinating till tomorrow when you can procrastinate today.

Obama for sportsmen.

#5 dogfish

dogfish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,374 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

Is there a list of Maryland "regulated" weapons?

Is it on DNR site?
Since 1999

#6 Jaz

Jaz

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,193 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:53 PM

Just pistols, machine guns, and whatever is legally classified in MD as an "assault" weapon. Though I am not sure the assault weapon thing is still active. Knowing the libs in charge in MD an "assault" weapon would be any auto loader.

#7 MLArthur

MLArthur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,001 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:59 PM

Is there a list of Maryland "regulated" weapons?

Is it on DNR site?

(p) "Regulated firearm" means:

(1) a handgun; or

(2) a firearm that is any of the following specific assault weapons or their copies, regardless of which company produced and manufactured that assault weapon:

Maryland Public Safety Article
ยง 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific
firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that
firearm:
( 1 ) American Arms Spectre da Semiautomatic carbine
( 2 ) AK-47 in all forms
( 3 ) Algimec AGM-1 type semi-auto
( 4 ) AR 100 type semi-auto
( 5 ) AR 180 type semi-auto
( 6 ) Argentine L.S.R. semi-auto
( 7 ) Australian Automatic Arms SAR type semi-auto
( 8 ) Auto-Ordnance Thompson M1 and 1927 semi-automatics
( 9 ) Barrett light .50 cal. semi-auto
(10) Beretta AR70 type semi-auto
(11) Bushmaster semi-auto rifle
(12) Calico models M-100 and M-900
(13) CIS SR 88 type semi-auto
(14) Claridge HI TEC C-9 carbines
(15) Colt AR-15, CAR-15, and all imitations except Colt AR-15 Sporter H-BAR rifle
(16) Daewoo MAX 1 and MAX 2, aka AR 100, 110C, K-1, and K-2
(17) Dragunov Chinese made semi-auto
(18) Famas semi-auto (.223 caliber)
(19) Feather AT-9 semi-auto
(20) FN LAR and FN FAL assault rifle
(21) FNC semi-auto type carbine
(22) F.I.E./Franchi LAW 12 and SPAS 12 assault shotgun
(23) Steyr-AUG-SA semi-auto
(24) Galil models AR and ARM semi-auto
(25) Heckler and KOCH HK-91 A3, HK-93 A2, HK-94 A2 and A3
(26) Holmes model 88 shotgun
(27) Avtomat Kalashnikov semiautomatic rifle in any format
(28) Manchester Arms "Commando" MK-45, MK-9
(29) Mandell TAC-1 semi-auto carbine
(30) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun
(31) Sterling Mark 6 (32) P.A.W.S. carbine
(33) Ruger mini-14 folding stock model (.223 caliber)
(34) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber)
(35) SKS with detachable magazine
(36) AP-74 Commando type semi-auto
(37) Springfield Armory BM-59, SAR-48, G3, SAR-3, M-21 sniper rifle, M1A, excluding
the M1 Garand
(38) Street sweeper assault type shotgun
(39) Striker 12 assault shotgun in all formats
(40) Unique F11 semi-auto type
(41) Daewoo USAS 12 semi-auto shotgun
(42) UZI 9mm carbine or rifle
(43) Valmet M-76 and M-78 semi-auto
(44) Weaver Arms "Nighthawk" semi-auto carbine or
(45) Wilkinson Arms 9mm semi-auto "Terry".

http://www.mdsp.org/...ult_weapons.pdf

Obama for sportsmen.

#8 IndispensableDestiny

IndispensableDestiny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

The individual has to be a resident of the state you area resdent of or else you have to do the transfer through an FFL.

You can drive into Delaware, buy all the (Maryland) unregulated long arms you want, and drive them back into Maryland. Of course, the comptroller expects you to pay Maryland tax when you get back.

A handgun or regulated long gun has to be transferred through and FFL.

#9 MLArthur

MLArthur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,001 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:12 AM

You can drive into Delaware, buy all the (Maryland) unregulated long arms you want, and drive them back into Maryland. Of course, the comptroller expects you to pay Maryland tax when you get back.

A handgun or regulated long gun has to be transferred through and FFL.

You cannot buy an unregulated long gun in Delaware without it being from an FFL. If you bought from a Delaware resident without involving an FFL in either DE or MD, then you are breaking federal law.

Obama for sportsmen.

#10 IndispensableDestiny

IndispensableDestiny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:48 AM

You cannot buy an unregulated long gun in Delaware without it being from an FFL. If you bought from a Delaware resident without involving an FFL in either DE or MD, then you are breaking federal law.

That's right. It wasn't clear to me that you were writing about private sales.

#11 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,747 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:10 AM

If you buy it from a dealer on line, they have to have a FFL or you need somone with a FFL to apply to.

Going through that with a Security shotgun I just bought, but its not that big of a deal unless you live in California.

Edited by jonsensback, 23 March 2009 - 07:29 AM.

#12 Ravenchamp

Ravenchamp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,681 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

Go to Wal Mart, buy shotgun or rifle, go home. There is no waiting period or registration for long guns.

many MD walmarts have stopped selling firearms all together, and i have let managers know just what an idiotic mistake it was too.
Dogfish, MD is a very UN-friendly firearms state unless you are a criminal.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.
The average response time of a .357 magnum is 1400 Feet Per Second

You Choose

#13 CPR4LIFE

CPR4LIFE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,444 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

many MD walmarts have stopped selling firearms all together, and i have let managers know just what an idiotic mistake it was too.
Dogfish, MD is a very UN-friendly firearms state unless you are a criminal.

Do you really want Wal Mart employees responsible for preventing theft of firearms from their stores?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Better to be hated than a hater.

#14 MLArthur

MLArthur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,001 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:06 AM

Do you really want Wal Mart employees responsible for preventing theft of firearms from their stores?

And really, just how many firearms are stolen from Walmarts? :rolleyes:
They are all locked up and you can't handle them without the clerk handing it to you and watching you.

No, the reason why they stopped selling them in some stores of MD (and in some they still do interestingly enough) is because some local anti gun politicians put pressure on them.
In PG county two Walmarts were pressured by one such politician who bragged about doing this in his campaign ad.....he lost by the way.

Obama for sportsmen.

#15 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,747 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:23 AM

Are you okay with inferior Walmart employees being responsible for preventing theft of pharmacuticals from their stores or is it just firearms that wads your BVD's?

BTW do have any cases where evil Walmart employees stole firearms?

#16 BS21213

BS21213

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

My question is where do you get a pistol and once you have it where can you go shoot it at targets.

Sounds fun to me. I guess shooting a rifle at targets sounds fun too.

Also how do you know what type is right for you? What type of pistol, or what type of rifle?

I'm pretty short 5'5" or so. Does that matter?

I guess I should have gone in the military but that ship sailed a long time ago!

#17 MLArthur

MLArthur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,001 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:46 PM

My question is where do you get a pistol and once you have it where can you go shoot it at targets.

Sounds fun to me. I guess shooting a rifle at targets sounds fun too.

Also how do you know what type is right for you? What type of pistol, or what type of rifle?

I'm pretty short 5'5" or so. Does that matter?

I guess I should have gone in the military but that ship sailed a long time ago!

There are some commercial ranges just outside of the city of Baltimore where you can go there and rent different handguns to shoot at targets to get the feel of which works for you best. Most, or all also offer a class that you should take first though for safety's sake and to learn the basics about how they operate if you have never fired a gun before, or take a friend with you who can teach you.
These commercial ranges also sell handguns. There are a few gun shops in the city, but not all sell handguns and some just sell long guns.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Obama for sportsmen.

#18 CPR4LIFE

CPR4LIFE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,444 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

So funny...make any comments about guns and the usual suspects come running just as fast as carp rising from the muck to get bread crumbs thrown in the water.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Better to be hated than a hater.

#19 MLArthur

MLArthur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,001 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

So funny...make any comments about guns and the usual suspects come running just as fast as carp rising from the muck to get bread crumbs thrown in the water.

So you were trolling then? I mean what other reason would you be posting in this thread talking about Walmart employees for?
Does this mean every position about guns you have expressed on this board was nothing other than trolling the whole time?

I mean a poster comes here to ask for help and just because it is about guns you have to jump in and make it something controversial you knew would get a response to. Why is that?

Obama for sportsmen.

#20 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,747 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

I hardly came running but I couldn't resist the snob *** stab you made at lowly Walmart employees, like they are scum on your shoe.

And still waiting for an example of Walmart employees selling stolen firearms since you brought it up as a fact.