Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Is it ethical to keep a brain dead person alive to harvest organs?

33 posts in this topic

Is it ethical to harvest organs of someone who is brain dead but on life support? Is it murder to harvest organs and turn off the support afterwards?

Is it ethical to harvest organs of someone who is brain dead but on life support?

That decision should be left up to the family or the person who has power of attorney as well as any living will/advanced directive that is on record.

That decision should be left up to the family or the person who has power of attorney as well as any living will/advanced directive that is on record.

I would agree, but there is so much focus on abortion when most are performed before there is a functioning brain, this is sort of similar in that the person is still alive, and unable to survive without support. If abortion is wrong, why isn't this wrong?

I would agree, but there is so much focus on abortion when most are performed before there is a functioning brain, this is sort of similar in that the person is still alive, and unable to survive without support. If abortion is wrong, why isn't this wrong?

This person had the opportunity to say one way or the other what would happen in this situation. A baby doesn't have that option.

Is this a legit question, Jack, or just a sneaky way to get to abortion?

I think that if the person is a signed donor, and the family agrees, every effort should be made to save the organs of a brain dead individual. As a donor myself, I know my wife would understand what I would want. If I'm toast, and I can save some lives, do what needs to be done.

"Is it ethical to keep a brain dead person alive to harvest organs?"

When you say "a brain dead person", I assume you're talking about Liberals, in which case I would say, sure, they'd never know the difference!

Is it ethical to keep someone alive only so oragans can be harvested?

No a person should be allowed to die a natural death.

A person is alive from the moment of conception, allow the person to live.

Keeping someone alive on life support who can never recover is wrong.

Because when you agree to be an organ doner you should understand that this may happen while searches and cross matching goes on.

Just why in the hell do you care anyway?

I'd want to be kept alive, if it meant that it would allow some time for my organs to still be viable. If taking me off life support meant that certain organs would be rendered unusable, I'd be against that.

Is it ethical to harvest organs of someone who is brain dead but on life support? Is it murder to harvest organs and turn off the support afterwards?

Yes, and it would be wonderful for you to do this for someone else. Get a move on.

good question...ethical? that is subjective.

my 2 cents...if the person has a signed donor card and do no revive orders..then I say go for it.

if not...let the person die whole.

1.Yes

2.No

Is it ethical to harvest organs of someone who is brain dead but on life support?

No it is not ethical to harvest organs from a live person, but a brain dead person is not alive.

Is it murder to harvest organs and turn off the support afterwards?
You cannot murder someone who is already dead.

I would want to be kept alive for my organs to be harvested and benefit others if I was brain dead. It would be unethical of you to deprive me of that right to provide one last service to other human beings. I have advance directives to this effect in place already.

A person who is brain dead is not going to change or improve. Their bain no longer functions, and therefore, they are not alive. The only reason the heartbeat and breathing continue to function in a person who is brain dead, making the brain dead patient appear to be alive, is because those functions are controlled by the brainstem and not the brain.

While the unborn at some stages may not have a brain that is functioning, the difference is it will develop into a functioning brain and a functional life. It will change, it will improve, and it is alive.

I would want to be kept alive for my organs to be harvested and benefit others if I was brain dead. It would be unethical of you to deprive me of that right to provide one last service to other human beings. I have advance directives to this effect in place already.

I agree.

The situations aren't the same at all. A person who is brain dead will never have a functioning brain again.

A fetus has the potential to have a functioning brain. To some extent -- and depending on what stage of the pregnancy -- a fetus has a functioning brain.

Their bain no longer functions, and therefore, they are not alive.

While the unborn at some stages may not have a brain that is functioning, the difference is it will develop into a functioning brain and a functional life. It will change, it will improve, and it is alive.

But is it "alive" before it gets to that point of development. Why is one "not alive" and the other "alive"?

No it is not ethical to harvest organs from a live person, but a brain dead person is not alive.

You cannot murder someone who is already dead.

The Pope would disagree that they are already dead.

This person had the opportunity to say one way or the other what would happen in this situation. A baby doesn't have that option.

An unborn baby cannot sign a legal contract... and donating one's organs is a legal contrct... should this happen to me, I would love to be able to save someone else's life even after mine is sure to be terminated...

The Pope would disagree that they are already dead.

What do I care what the Pope thinks? I am an atheist.

The majority of Americans are not Roman Catholic.

But is it "alive" before it gets to that point of development. Why is one "not alive" and the other "alive"?

I already answered that.

Is this a legit question, Jack, or just a sneaky way to get to abortion?

I think that if the person is a signed donor, and the family agrees, every effort should be made to save the organs of a brain dead individual. As a donor myself, I know my wife would understand what I would want. If I'm toast, and I can save some lives, do what needs to be done.

I would suspect it's a little of both.

Are you talking about about the police officer killed in Oakland, CJS?