Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Is it ethical to keep a brain dead person alive to harvest organs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,440 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

Is it ethical to harvest organs of someone who is brain dead but on life support? Is it murder to harvest organs and turn off the support afterwards?

Republicans say the darndest things!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#2 Atlas

Atlas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

Is it ethical to harvest organs of someone who is brain dead but on life support?

That decision should be left up to the family or the person who has power of attorney as well as any living will/advanced directive that is on record.

#3 Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,440 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

That decision should be left up to the family or the person who has power of attorney as well as any living will/advanced directive that is on record.

I would agree, but there is so much focus on abortion when most are performed before there is a functioning brain, this is sort of similar in that the person is still alive, and unable to survive without support. If abortion is wrong, why isn't this wrong?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 redleg

redleg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,419 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

I would agree, but there is so much focus on abortion when most are performed before there is a functioning brain, this is sort of similar in that the person is still alive, and unable to survive without support. If abortion is wrong, why isn't this wrong?

This person had the opportunity to say one way or the other what would happen in this situation. A baby doesn't have that option.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

#5 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,111 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

Is this a legit question, Jack, or just a sneaky way to get to abortion?

I think that if the person is a signed donor, and the family agrees, every effort should be made to save the organs of a brain dead individual. As a donor myself, I know my wife would understand what I would want. If I'm toast, and I can save some lives, do what needs to be done.

#6 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

"Is it ethical to keep a brain dead person alive to harvest organs?"

When you say "a brain dead person", I assume you're talking about Liberals, in which case I would say, sure, they'd never know the difference!

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." -George Orwell, '1984'

In Liberal/Leftist politics, reality is an inconvenience best ignored. But unfortunately for the liberal agenda, 'reality' is that thing that even when you stop believing in it, is still there. As with all liberal experiments in social engineering, it’s the ‘good intentions’ that matter, not the ‘results’.

#7 Justthefax

Justthefax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

Is it ethical to keep someone alive only so oragans can be harvested?

No a person should be allowed to die a natural death.

A person is alive from the moment of conception, allow the person to live.

Keeping someone alive on life support who can never recover is wrong.
Tell a joke every day!
;) :)

I drum to the beat of a different walker!

Count Down Days left till the end of the Obamanation

#8 BWomble

BWomble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,547 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

Because when you agree to be an organ doner you should understand that this may happen while searches and cross matching goes on.

Just why in the hell do you care anyway?

#9 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,111 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:27 PM

I'd want to be kept alive, if it meant that it would allow some time for my organs to still be viable. If taking me off life support meant that certain organs would be rendered unusable, I'd be against that.

#10 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:30 PM

Is it ethical to harvest organs of someone who is brain dead but on life support? Is it murder to harvest organs and turn off the support afterwards?

Yes, and it would be wonderful for you to do this for someone else. Get a move on.

#11 sarge

sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

good question...ethical? that is subjective.

my 2 cents...if the person has a signed donor card and do no revive orders..then I say go for it.

if not...let the person die whole.

#12 JustaslowZ06

JustaslowZ06

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,137 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

1.Yes
2.No

#13 MLArthur

MLArthur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,001 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:33 PM

Is it ethical to harvest organs of someone who is brain dead but on life support?

No it is not ethical to harvest organs from a live person, but a brain dead person is not alive.

Is it murder to harvest organs and turn off the support afterwards?

You cannot murder someone who is already dead.
Never put off procrastinating till tomorrow when you can procrastinate today.

Obama for sportsmen.

#14 USA all the way

USA all the way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,548 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

I would want to be kept alive for my organs to be harvested and benefit others if I was brain dead. It would be unethical of you to deprive me of that right to provide one last service to other human beings. I have advance directives to this effect in place already.
"It's a thin line 'tween heaven and here." - Bubbles

#15 Trace21230

Trace21230

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,236 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

Nobody should threaten the life of the President.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Remember when we had a President who knew how to give a salute?

#16 Atlas

Atlas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

A person who is brain dead is not going to change or improve. Their bain no longer functions, and therefore, they are not alive. The only reason the heartbeat and breathing continue to function in a person who is brain dead, making the brain dead patient appear to be alive, is because those functions are controlled by the brainstem and not the brain.

While the unborn at some stages may not have a brain that is functioning, the difference is it will develop into a functioning brain and a functional life. It will change, it will improve, and it is alive.

#17 MLArthur

MLArthur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,001 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

I would want to be kept alive for my organs to be harvested and benefit others if I was brain dead. It would be unethical of you to deprive me of that right to provide one last service to other human beings. I have advance directives to this effect in place already.

I agree.
Never put off procrastinating till tomorrow when you can procrastinate today.

Obama for sportsmen.

#18 JamieGrey1

JamieGrey1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

The situations aren't the same at all. A person who is brain dead will never have a functioning brain again.

A fetus has the potential to have a functioning brain. To some extent -- and depending on what stage of the pregnancy -- a fetus has a functioning brain.

#19 Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,440 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:16 PM

Their bain no longer functions, and therefore, they are not alive.

While the unborn at some stages may not have a brain that is functioning, the difference is it will develop into a functioning brain and a functional life. It will change, it will improve, and it is alive.

But is it "alive" before it gets to that point of development. Why is one "not alive" and the other "alive"?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 Captain Jack Sparrow

Captain Jack Sparrow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,440 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

No it is not ethical to harvest organs from a live person, but a brain dead person is not alive.

You cannot murder someone who is already dead.

The Pope would disagree that they are already dead.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]