Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunsades

Unusual Animal Sighting

83 posts in this topic

I am new to this forum and wanted to register to get this off my chest. I was playing golf this past Saturday at the Compass Pointe golf club when I saw what looked to be a bobcat or lynk....just 20 feet in front of me on the cartpath. I followed him into the woods and watched him navigate on a downed tree before losing him. I'm not sure it was a bobcat but it certainly was not a coyote, fox, dog or any other creature I've ever seen! Anyone had any similar sightings in these parts of Maryland?

Please respond at hikingtrails@hotmail.com

Dean

Sunsades: Probably a wild cat. It would be unusual to find a bobcat or lynx in that area. Domestic cats can get very large when they get out and into the wild.

I thought I saw a fox one day at Perring Parkway and Putty Hill Road a while back.

I am new to this forum and wanted to register to get this off my chest. I was playing golf this past Saturday at the Compass Pointe golf club when I saw what looked to be a bobcat or lynk....just 20 feet in front of me on the cartpath. I followed him into the woods and watched him navigate on a downed tree before losing him. I'm not sure it was a bobcat but it certainly was not a coyote, fox, dog or any other creature I've ever seen! Anyone had any similar sightings in these parts of Maryland?

Please respond at hikingtrails@hotmail.com

Dean

Highly unlikely a bobcat or Lynx...not in that area...although, its quite Bobcat like to walk the length of a log or fallen tree......my guess is that a huge cat found a spot in the woods, stock piled with a abundant food source and simply grew fat and nasty...they do this sometimes....possum, coon and swamp rats are chocked full of protein and can make any animal grow big.

A lynx is definitely out. However, bobcats are not uncommon. I agree that sometimes feral cats can be big, not all scrawny. Bobcats can be up to 30 pounds, so they are really big.

I've only seen a bobcat once, but it was in PA.

Where ever they live, they tend to be shy.

Maine Coon Cat.

Most likely.

There are some in my neighborhood. Those things are scary!

Haven't been on this forum in ages, so am happy to have logged on and stumbled upon this thread. Last year we saw a mother (presumably) Bobcat and two little kittens right behind our house in Arnold, MD (not too far from your golf course). Our house backs to a deep, wooded ravine and wetlands, so they have plenty of hiding places. I own a Maine Coon ....it was not one of those...it was a Bobcat and could not be easily mistaken for a domestic.

Five years earlier, I nearly hit a Bobcat (maybe the same one?) with my car on College Pkwy.

Several years before that, my wife's friend found an "abandoned" kitten on the side of the road in PG County. She took it to the vet. When she returned, they refused to give it back, telling her that is was a Bobcat kitten.

After my last Bobcat sighting, I called DNR and learned that they're not uncommon in MD, even in relatively populated areas. They're just very secretive, so people seldom see them.

Bobcats do exist throughout MD. In fact, DNR is doing a study to determine how wide spread they are.

Bobcat study

Here's the table of sightings from the 2004-2005 hunter survey

Survey results

I once saw a bobcat on Interstate 95 about two miles north of the toll. (It was about 4:00 in the morning and it leaped onto a cement road barrier in my headlights). I had a meeting that day with Maryland DNR for a project I was working on and shared my experience and they agreed (based on my description) it was probably a bobcat that wandered in to the city.

and they agreed (based on my description) it was probably a bobcat that wandered in to the city.

From where? :confused:

Highly unlikely a bobcat or Lynx...not in that area...although, its quite Bobcat like to walk the length of a log or fallen tree......my guess is that a huge cat found a spot in the woods, stock piled with a abundant food source and simply grew fat and nasty...they do this sometimes....possum, coon and swamp rats are chocked full of protein and can make any animal grow big.

A.O.,

I thought you had retired until Fall football practice. I didn't kow you were the Daniel Boone/Davy Crockett type.:D

I thought I saw a fox one day at Perring Parkway and Putty Hill Road a while back.

You did. they are all through there.;)

A.O.,

I thought you had retired until Fall football practice. I didn't kow you were the Daniel Boone/Davy Crockett type.:D

I guess the Wvu thing did'nt give u a hint....

I once saw a bobcat on Interstate 95 about two miles north of the toll. (It was about 4:00 in the morning and it leaped onto a cement road barrier in my headlights). I had a meeting that day with Maryland DNR for a project I was working on and shared my experience and they agreed (based on my description) it was probably a bobcat that wandered in to the city.

Suure -- just walk'n right across 95 -- lol

Suure -- just walk'n right across 95 -- lol

Bummer, I was hoping for your validation.

Sunday May 24 Coyote walking across the 18th fairway at Ruggles Golf Club on APG. Didn't seem to be in any hurry and was not shy out in the open.

Saw a coyote a week ago slinking across Liberty road north of rt 27.

Saw a coyote a week ago slinking across Liberty road north of rt 27.

You mean west right? liberty runs east/west

27 runs north/south

I saw a bobcat in the liberty watershed once and another time along the Patapsco in Marriotsville area my brittany treed one.

You mean west right? liberty runs east/west

27 runs north/south

I saw a bobcat in the liberty watershed once and another time along the Patapsco in Marriotsville area my brittany treed one.

I saw what I believe to be a bobcat near Morgan Run

Coyotes are all over Catonsville. Never seen a bob cat but the bear last year was rather scary living right on the park and all.

Lots of "cougars" in catonsville

i know a few people that have said they thought they saw something that could have been a bobcat. Have they always been around or are they coming back?

I saw what I believe to be a bobcat near Morgan Run

my BIL's house backs to Liberty Reservoir and he has seen bobcats there ......

I have posted on here before about the coyote I saw in the same area (Morgan Run / Liberty) about 5-6 years ago (and I have seen 100's of coyotes out west) ..........