Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunsades

Unusual Animal Sighting

83 posts in this topic

my BIL's house backs to Liberty Reservoir and he has seen bobcats there ......

I have posted on here before about the coyote I saw in the same area (Morgan Run / Liberty) about 5-6 years ago (and I have seen 100's of coyotes out west) ..........

This was near Klee Mill and Morgan Run

This was near Klee Mill and Morgan Run

my coyote sighting was south of that but it's all connected......

all those feeder streams are like highways right to the watershed.........

that's a huge area.........

speaking of animal sightings.....my daughter called me at work yesterday when she got home from school and there was a 3' blacksnake in our kitchen :) ........

even though she has held our pet snakes, she wasn't so calm about this one........

i know a few people that have said they thought they saw something that could have been a bobcat. Have they always been around or are they coming back?

They've always been around, but by the 1960's they had been hunted nearly to extinction in the state. Since then they've been protected and the populations have come back nicely.

I saw a fox this am crossing from Dundalk CC side with something in its mouth - beautiful sight.

Sunday on Dunmanway saw a vulture eating something on the sidewalk. Wow we need more of them to eat the rats.

Went fishing last night out @ Loch Raven (close to my house) for an hour or so before sunset and ran across the largest copperhead I have EVER seen in all of my days of camping / fishing..

This dude was over three foot "at least" and was incredibly thick as well. Crossed paths just as I was heading back out to my car. He was not to nice either .... :eek:

He had some awesome color to him too and WE just made a "mutual wave" to one another as we went our separate ways.;)

He was quite healthy to say the least.B)

saw a groundhog this morning on grays road, just off of wize ave. little dude was waddling along like he didnt have a car in the world.

also theres an osprey nest outside of my work on the same road. the funny thing is there are three ospreys that share the nest. i always thought that the two would chase the third away, but not in this case...

saw a groundhog this morning on grays road, just off of wize ave. little dude was waddling along like he didnt have a car in the world.

also theres an osprey nest outside of my work on the same road. the funny thing is there are three ospreys that share the nest. i always thought that the two would chase the third away, but not in this case...

Maybe it's the offspring - great birds.

Beavers are abundant on the Great Seneca Creek -- (montgomery county). I see them all the time. I am wondering why I never see any sort of dam -- lazy beavers? or just lost their skills?

Beavers are abundant on the Great Seneca Creek -- (montgomery county). I see them all the time. I am wondering why I never see any sort of dam -- lazy beavers? or just lost their skills?

my property backs up to a stream and we had a beavers back there about 5 years ago.....

they built a large dam and created quite a nice little pond......

problem was they were coming pretty far up the hill onto my property and taking down trees .......

it was quite the experience for the kids.....

just heard the wife yell about 30 minutes ago......

went out on the deck and there was a 3-4' black rat snake under the recliner she was laying on :) .......

looked like the snake was gravid to me......took it out to the woods.....

we have been overrun this year, maybe its the rain......

removed several babies from the garage, from the boat cover and a 3 footer from the kitchen last week.....

I had a friend tell me they saw coyotes late one night recently, on Register ave. She was looking at a mounted coyote taken in Harford county and said " oh that must be what I saw...they looked just like that".

This winter I think I saw fisher tracks in Balto county, just shy of the MD/PA line. Too big for mink, seemed a little too small for an otter for that time of year ( early march- no young otters,last years young would be pretty well grown) and the trail meandered parallel to 2 streams then headed up a hill into the woods away from the water. Seems to me an otter would go back to the water and travel within it to its source, then go overland to the next body of water. When I first saw the tracks I thought of a big buck mink, but the stride was way too far apart to be even a 5 pound mink. Fishers have similar feet to mink, just bigger.

Oh and mentioning the otters- Deer Creek and Little Falls have rather decent #'s of them.

If anyone in N balto county or N-west Harford needs beavers removed next trapping season, PM me. I'd be happy to catch otters and mink as well as muskrats too, and getting another spot for foxes/coons wouldn't hurt either.

I've seen Peregrine Falcon in Fells Point and Patterson Park... probably on it it's to the park from downtown to get a squirrel. I sat and watched a Peregrine Falcon dive and chase a squirrel around in an oak tree for 10 minutes in Patterson Park... It never got the squirrel.

One night a few years ago, after one of our big snow storms, I walked out of John Stevens and saw a fox walking right down the sidewalk on the other side of Thames St. This was before all of the construction down Fells St. It probably lived down in the fields by the old docks.

I've seen Peregrine Falcon in Fells Point and Patterson Park... probably on it it's to the park from downtown to get a squirrel. I sat and watched a Peregrine Falcon dive and chase a squirrel around in an oak tree for 10 minutes in Patterson Park... It never got the squirrel.

One night a few years ago, after one of our big snow storms, I walked out of John Stevens and saw a fox walking right down the sidewalk on the other side of Thames St. This was before all of the construction down Fells St. It probably lived down in the fields by the old docks.

Wow - about the fox - in such a populated area.

Peregrines come to my yard occasionally. I've seen them eat a whole pigeon - including the feet. Wish they'd be around more to kill the rats in our area - I had to stop feeding the birds because of them(rats).

I used to work on the top floor of the tallest building in downtown Salt Lake, and occasionally we'd see a Peregrine catch a pigeon mid-flight. Sometimes you'd just see feathers falling down in front of the window, and realize that you missed the action.

Not Maryland, but I back to about 160 acres of woods here in No AL, and I saw a small (juvenile) panther walking along our back fence line. Unmistakable. Jet black, thick, muscular, too large to be a domestic cat. Watched him for about 10 seconds as he walked along the fence, and then turned into the woods.

Not in Maryland but one morning in Tampa at 5:00 AM I went outside and saw a huge owl sitting on top of my pool screen. I could not believe his wingspan when he unfolded them and took off. It was awesome.

I know there are Coyotes and Bobcats in Harford county. Even some bear sightings.

One time I was driving down Ebenezer rd Essex, Chase area and a turkey flew right in front of my car.

Just got back from colorado. One day in the deeps brush, a rattler crossed my path -- probably 5 feet in front of me. I stayed out of the weeds and tall grass the remainder of the trip.

I was in the Evergreen/Morrison area -- approx. 40 miles west of Denver in the rising foothills.

Riding on the light rail from the south into the city I've seen deer at the Cherry Hill stop nearly all the way up to Waterview Ave. Deer sightings are fairly normal. The biggest I've seen was a small basket rack six-pointer. A ground hog at westport stop. He has a hole up on the hill behind the fence parking area.

Fox due south a 100 yards or so from the Cherry hill stop also. They have at least two dens dug into the side of the hill between the stop and the old RR bridge.