Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunsades

Unusual Animal Sighting

83 posts in this topic

Nearly got killed by running into a big Buck Deer in the middle of 29 south just outside of Columbia a while ago. How I missed it is a miracle -- within inches while going at least 70.

Per a Sunpaper online update this afternoon .... A Manatee has been seen in the waters around Havre De Grace over the weekend. DNR trying to capture the mammal and return it to Florida .... Must be an off-spring of Chessie, the visitor we had in the 90's ...:D

Per a Sunpaper online update this afternoon .... A Manatee has been seen in the waters around Havre De Grace over the weekend. DNR trying to capture the mammal and return it to Florida .... Must be an off-spring of Chessie, the visitor we had in the 90's ...:D

Cool.

Wonder if it was thinking "man, i cant see a thing, how the heck do i get out of here??" :D

Saw nice size Buck in good condition on Loch Raven Blvd north of Walker Ave

Was in the baseball field next to the Fire Department.

One thing you need to watch is the different between a "coy-dog" and coyote. When people thing they have seen a coyote, chances are they have probably seen a coy-dog. Coyotes have a more pronounced sway with their hips and are the howlers. Coyotes mate with the local wild dog population and there you have coy-dogs.

You want to see any and all wildlife, head on out to WMD or even bounce down 97 to Severn where my folks live and you will see a ton out that way as well.

Was hunting recently and saw a porcupine...when he saw me he scrambled right up a tree...I took some pics with my cell phone but its camera is so crappy you cant hardly tell what it is.

Was hunting recently and saw a porcupine...when he saw me he scrambled right up a tree...I took some pics with my cell phone but its camera is so crappy you cant hardly tell what it is.

cool, where? .........

never saw one around here but saw a few in Maine (and a lot DOR up there) .......

cool, where? .........

never saw one around here but saw a few in Maine (and a lot DOR up there) .......

Fairview Mountian Clear Spring about 10 miles west of Hagerstown.

This is Sunsades here again. The sighting I had at Compass Pointe Golf Club was 100% absolutely NOT a wild cat. This thing had very large, thick legs......very unlike a wild cat.

Sorry!

Deano

hikingtrails@hotmail.com

Saw a albino doe at Jeruselum Mill area of GP State park around Christmas the first time and about a half dozen times since..

Kept the exact location to myself to keep any DA poachers from killing her.

I saw a republican in Annapolis one time. Another time I thought I saw a fiscally conservative democrat down there paying for his own meal but I was mistaken.

pretty sure I saw one of these earlier today .......

Coopers Hawk

it was sitting in a tree at the side of the road as I rode by and the one thing that struck me was the black striped tail so this is what my google turned up .......

but then again , it could have been this, since it has a similarly striped tail :confused: .....

Sharp Shinned Hawk

on another front, came home from a party last night at around 11 and there were a dozen deer standing in the middle of my court .......

they are always out back but don't usually see them strolling down the middle of the street .......

pretty sure I saw one of these earlier today .......

Coopers Hawk

it was sitting in a tree at the side of the road as I rode by and the one thing that struck me was the black striped tail so this is what my google turned up .......

but then again , it could have been this, since it has a similarly striped tail :confused: .....

Sharp Shinned Hawk

on another front, came home from a party last night at around 11 and there were a dozen deer standing in the middle of my court .......

they are always out back but don't usually see them strolling down the middle of the street .......

I used to have a coopers hawk visit my rowhouse when I lived in the city. Their plumage does all sorts of things throughout the year so yours could have looked slightly different but definitely a prime suspect.

my sister sent me a picture this week taken by my BIL of a good size timber rattler that he came across in Gambrill State Park just outside of Frederick ......

I started googling and it seems that they are becoming more common and mountain bikers have been seeing them frequently in several parks ......

I always thought they were further west and rarer ........

Coopers and Sharpies can be a problem in identifying. The Sharpies are smaller than Coopers, but the thing that does it for me is to get a look at the tip of the tail when the bird is in flight. The Coopers' is rounded and the Sharpies is flat.......... see the links in ET's post.

my sister sent me a picture this week taken by my BIL of a good size timber rattler that he came across in Gambrill State Park just outside of Frederick ......

I started googling and it seems that they are becoming more common and mountain bikers have been seeing them frequently in several parks ......

I always thought they were further west and rarer ........

The range of the timber rattler extends from southern New Hampshire south through the Appalachian Mountains to northern Georgia and west to southwestern Wisconsin and northeastern Texas. Populations were once found on Long Island and in most mountainous and hilly areas of New York State, except in the higher elevations of the Adirondacks, Catskills and Tug Hill region. They are now found in isolated populations in southeastern New York, the Southern Tier and in the peripheral eastern Adirondacks.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7147.html

This is Sunsades here again. The sighting I had at Compass Pointe Golf Club was 100% absolutely NOT a wild cat. This thing had very large, thick legs......very unlike a wild cat.

Sorry!

Deano

hikingtrails@hotmail.com

Holy crap are you serious? You really created a thread in 2009, never posted again, and then three years later you come back to conduct threadomancy? Seriously? You are insane. You are so insane, that I had to log into this forum after months of inactivity to tell you this. I'm afraid you might hurt someone - like they might find you eating someone's face or shooting up a college campus. And stop posting your email address - it's not a smart thing to do if you value your anonymity and privacy.

I'm guessing you saw a gorilla or a rhino.

The range of the timber rattler extends from southern New Hampshire south through the Appalachian Mountains to northern Georgia and west to southwestern Wisconsin and northeastern Texas. Populations were once found on Long Island and in most mountainous and hilly areas of New York State, except in the higher elevations of the Adirondacks, Catskills and Tug Hill region. They are now found in isolated populations in southeastern New York, the Southern Tier and in the peripheral eastern Adirondacks.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7147.html

I am pretty familiar with their range......

when i said further west, I meant further west in maryland ........

they are becoming pretty frequent all around the frederick area and other points east of where I typically associated them in maryland ......

speaking of rattlers, my oldest who lives in cali had to fend off a pacific rattler that was striking at one of her dogs in her yard the other day .......

our dog had a red fox cornered in the yard yesterday .......

he was chasing him back and forth for a few minutes before the fox got by him and squeezed out under the gate .......

the dog stayed down in that corner of the yard for hours pacing back and forth with his nose up in the air :) ......

Saw a albino doe at Jeruselum Mill area of GP State park around Christmas the first time and about a half dozen times since..

Kept the exact location to myself to keep any DA poachers from killing her.

we were vacationing in the finger lakes region a few weeks ago and one day coming back from the geneva area we saw some white deer inside the fenced in area of the old seneca army depot ........

we thought we had really scored a rare sighting and were pretty excited .......

the next day we were on a fishing charter out on seneca lake and I mentioned it to the captain and without missing a beat he asked, "up at the old army base?" and told us a story .......

so I googled it later and lo and behold these white deer, which are not albinos, have their own web sites and are quite common.......

http://www.senecawhitedeer.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_white_deer

I saw a republican in Annapolis one time. Another time I thought I saw a fiscally conservative democrat down there paying for his own meal but I was mistaken.

lmao too funny

we were vacationing in the finger lakes region a few weeks ago and one day coming back from the geneva area we saw some white deer inside the fenced in area of the old seneca army depot ........

we thought we had really scored a rare sighting and were pretty excited .......

the next day we were on a fishing charter out on seneca lake and I mentioned it to the captain and without missing a beat he asked, "up at the old army base?" and told us a story .......

so I googled it later and lo and behold these white deer, which are not albinos, have their own web sites and are quite common.......

http://www.senecawhitedeer.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_white_deer

thanks for sharing....cool pix...

never heard of white deer before now

albinos yes

had the pleasure of getting sika and whitetails

Saw a cougar probably 200 yards down the road from my house in southern Lancaster County in mid May this year. Just walking alongside the road by a cornfield. They aren't known to populate PA anymore, but then with the abundence of deer statewide, not to mention rabbits and other small mammals, it makes sense that cougars would live here. The one I saw was not an adult, but may have been a released pet, or just starting out on its own.

I am pretty familiar with their range......

when i said further west, I meant further west in maryland ........

they are becoming pretty frequent all around the frederick area and other points east of where I typically associated them in maryland ......

speaking of rattlers, my oldest who lives in cali had to fend off a pacific rattler that was striking at one of her dogs in her yard the other day .......

I have killed three Eastern Diamondbacks in back of my house in the last ten years. They are protected but we have dogs and got a pass.