Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Attention Maryland drivers: Left-On-Red is legal here.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
145 replies to this topic

#1 Lazarus

Lazarus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,253 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:35 AM

In the state of Maryland, unless it's otherwise posted, it's legal to make a left turn on red from a one-way street to another one-way street.

It's in the Maryland Code, under Transportation, Title 21, Subtitle 2, Sub-Section 21-202:

(i)...Unless a sign prohibiting a turn is in place, vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal, after stopping as required by subsection (h) of this section, cautiously may enter the intersection and make:

(1) A right turn; or

(2) A left turn from a one-way street onto a one-way street.

(Source: http://www.michie.co...h.htm&cp=mdcode Type "left on red" in the search bar. )

So...if you are in Bel Air, for example, you can make a left on red from Courtland Street onto Main Street, from Office Street onto Bond Street, and from Baltimore Pike onto Main Street.

(This thread was inspired by the nice lady who flipped me the bird and told me I didn't know what I was talking about when she sat at Courtland and Main and waited and waited and waited for the light to change. I was behind her, leaned out my window, and called out to her that she could turn left...)
Dear Lord, please help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Washington, D.C., January 20, 2009: Nuremberg on the Potomac. :eek:

A warning from history: http://lib.store.yah...riccomment.html

#2 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,709 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:44 AM

In the state of Maryland, unless it's otherwise posted, it's legal to make a left turn on red from a one-way street to another one-way street.

It's in the Maryland Code, under Transportation, Title 21, Subtitle 2, Sub-Section 21-202:

(i)...Unless a sign prohibiting a turn is in place, vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal, after stopping as required by subsection (h) of this section, cautiously may enter the intersection and make:

(1) A right turn; or

(Source: http://www.michie.co...h.htm&cp=mdcode Type "left on red" in the search bar. )

So...if you are in Bel Air, for example, you can make a left on red from Courtland Street onto Main Street, from Office Street onto Bond Street, and from Baltimore Pike onto Main Street.

(This thread was inspired by the nice lady who flipped me the bird and told me I didn't know what I was talking about when she sat at Courtland and Main and waited and waited and waited for the light to change. I was behind her, leaned out my window, and called out to her that she could turn left...)

Lol, that is priceless.

Was she displaying her IQ with her finger wave?

With one cop for every square block in downtown BelAir, its amazing one wasn't wround then, but typical.

#3 TheCommodore7

TheCommodore7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:47 AM

Lol, that is priceless.

Was she displaying her IQ with her finger wave?

With one cop for every square block in downtown BelAir, its amazing one wasn't wround then, but typical.

For the record, I would imagine most people don't know this. Left on red is not usual and, as a guy who cares about road laws and etiquette too much for his own good, I was surprised to hear this.

If someone in the car behind me had yelled at me to make a left on red, I wouldn't give the finger, but I would think that person was wrong. Does that make me have a low IQ?

#4 Derf

Derf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:57 AM

Lazarus, it is legal however, not mandatory. If she didn't feel comfortable doing it, she doesn't need to. May I suggest, find another route or leave earlier? :)

#5 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,434 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:57 AM

(1) A right turn; or

The keywords being "after stopping" of which most drivers have no clue, especially involving right-on-red.

#6 microg

microg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:58 AM

(1) A right turn; or

Honestly I had forgotten about this law. Why? Because I don't drive one-way to one-way streets very often. Maybe she doesn't either. Presented this unusual situation, there is nothing like someone backseat driving you from the car behind you. Not knowing about this left on red exception she erred on the side of caution. To her, you probably looked like an angry driver just wanting to get to your destination 2 minutes earlier. This can be intimidating.

I try to follow the law and drive the best I can; I also try to allow for other peoples' mistakes and annoyances.

It's the lack of patience for and respect of others that seems to lead to a lot of driver aggression and accidents.

Edited by microg, 22 April 2009 - 07:00 AM.
Changed people's to peoples'

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,471 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:02 AM

For the record, I would imagine most people don't know this. Left on red is not usual and, as a guy who cares about road laws and etiquette too much for his own good, I was surprised to hear this.

If someone in the car behind me had yelled at me to make a left on red, I wouldn't give the finger, but I would think that person was wrong. Does that make me have a low IQ?

I hate to admit it, but I've been driving 25 years and left on red is news to me:(
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#8 TheCommodore7

TheCommodore7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

I hate to admit it, but I've been driving 25 years and left on red is news to me:(

Exactly. But on a different point, left on red is legal, not mandatory. For example, I have had people honking at me to turn right on red many times in Baltimore. I chose not to because the huge SUV next to me meant I couldn't see oncoming traffic.

#9 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,709 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

Exactly. But on a different point, left on red is legal, not mandatory. For example, I have had people honking at me to turn right on red many times in Baltimore. I chose not to because the huge SUV next to me meant I couldn't see oncoming traffic.

Your right, I thpought the npost was sarcastic and the lady actually made the left on a red,lol.

So much for early morning thread reading with my low IQ because I would have flipped off anyone in front of me he made a left on a red.:D

I would bet the BelAir cops don't even know its legal.

#10 Lazarus

Lazarus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,253 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:11 AM

Lazarus, it is legal however, not mandatory. If she didn't feel comfortable doing it, she doesn't need to. May I suggest, find another route or leave earlier? :)

It wasn't that she didn't feel comfortable, it was that she didn't know about the law, but told me that I didn't know what I was talking about and then flipped me off. You don't get the incongruity of that???

(And by the way...I had been in a business on Courtland Street, which is one-way, and runs between Bond and Main. The only way off of Courtland is through the intersection with Main Street. I had no option to take another route. And are you seriously suggesting I make time to allow for drivers who impede others because they don't know the law???)

#11 TheCommodore7

TheCommodore7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:13 AM

And are you seriously suggesting I make time to allow for drivers who impede others because they don't know the law???)

You are right. Clearly waiting a couple minutes for a light to change is a life-altering impediment. I say you sue her for emotional damages along with the opportunity cost of waiting that extra minute.

#12 Lazarus

Lazarus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,253 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:14 AM

...It's the lack of patience for and respect of others that seems to lead to a lot of driver aggression and accidents.

I can't imagine something more disrespectful than giving the finger to a stranger in traffic. She was lucky I'm a gentleman...

#13 Lazarus

Lazarus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,253 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:15 AM

It's a relatively recent change to the law, if I recall correctly, perhaps within the last decade or so.

#14 microg

microg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

I can't imagine something more disrespectful than giving the finger to a stranger in traffic. She was lucky I'm a gentleman...

I agree with you there. Her display of the "universal sign" was uncalled for.

#15 TheCommodore7

TheCommodore7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

On that, we agree 100%.

#16 Derf

Derf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,340 posts

It wasn't that she didn't feel comfortable, it was that she didn't know about the law, but told me that I didn't know what I was talking about and then flipped me off. You don't get the incongruity of that???

(And by the way...I had been in a business on Courtland Street, which is one-way, and runs between Bond and Main. The only way off of Courtland is through the intersection with Main Street. I had no option to take another route. And are you seriously suggesting I make time to allow for drivers who impede others because they don't know the law???)

Yes, I am. Whether they're unaware of the law or are uncomfortable with performing the maneuver as long as the other driver isn't breaking any laws, you need to just deal with it. Or, seek counseling.

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,471 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

You are right. Clearly waiting a couple minutes for a light to change is a life-altering impediment. I say you sue her for emotional damages along with the opportunity cost of waiting that extra minute.

amazing isn't it?:P

#18 Marshan Man

Marshan Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,603 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

It's a relatively recent change to the law, if I recall correctly, perhaps within the last decade or so.

It ain't THAT recent. At least 10 years... :mad:

And turn your lights on when you use wiper blades too!! :mad:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]America Is Back! :rwb:

#19 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,471 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

Yes, I am. Whether they're unaware of the law or are uncomfortable with performing the maneuver as long as the other driver isn't breaking any laws, you need to just deal with it. Or, seek counseling.

if his panties are in a bunch over this one little thing I'm not sure counseling will help :D

#20 jefe96

jefe96

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:19 AM

It's the lack of patience for and respect of others that seems to lead to a lot of driver aggression and accidents.

Yes, you mean the idiots who have to switch lanes because it seems like the lane you're in is moving oh so much faster than theirs and then they end up riding your *** until they can squeeze through to change lanes again.