Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redlegs

John Elway on ESPN

78 posts in this topic

Rick Reilly has a new show called "Homecoming" in which he goes over an athletes upbringing and sports career. Today he had John Elway on.

There's just something about Elway that I don't like. I wish him no ill will, but I still find him to be a spoiled brat.

I was not a fan of the Colts or Broncos in '82, but that still chaps my behind.

John Elway is the source of all evil in the world. If he would have signed with the Baltimore Colts, the Colts would have never left Baltimore. I really hate him.

As a Colts fan, it sucked at the time, but made perfect sense after you realized what a mess it was here right around Draft day in 1982. You really can't blame the guy for watching out for himself like that. He's probably my favorite QB of all time. Just loved watching the 4th quarter comebacks.

John Elway is the source of all evil in the world. If he would have signed with the Baltimore Colts, the Colts would have never left Baltimore. I really hate him.

C'mon.. do you really think that would have helped that much? I don't.

Was anyone else bothered by his laugh??

I was listening from the kitchen and had to turn the show off! It was worse than Elliot's laugh on DC101...

You really can't blame the guy for watching out for himself like that.

I can and I do. He was saying the format and rules of the league didn't matter. He was saying he was bigger than the league. He was the first free agent to come out of college football. Eli Manning was the second.

Great talent, but I can't stand him.

This one's for John.....................................

[i get tired of hearing Pat Bowlen saying this on the Goober's Super Bowl win]

¡¡¡cójale!!!!

and go to hell!

Can't say you didn't learn anything new today! :D

I can and I do. He was saying the format and rules of the league didn't matter. He was saying he was bigger than the league. He was the first free agent to come out of college football. Eli Manning was the second.

Should *YOU* have been forced to go work on the Titanic before it hit the open seas, knowing what the potential outcome would be?

I didn't think so.

Eli Manning on the other hand. That's a different story in itself.

I've always hoped John Elway would get kicked in the head by a horse and have a permanent horseshoe imprint on his face.

I thought it was kind of fitting that Elway played for the Broncos because he really honestly looks like a horse. The guy has huge teeth and a sneer that reminds me of that old TV show Mr. Ed when he would start talking.

I disliked Elway for years. The Broncos getting stomped by the Redskins in the Super Bowl was enough (along with family from the D.C. area) to get me to root for the Skins before the Ravens came to Baltimore.

In the early '90s I saw an Elway interview on ESPN. He was asked about the "won't play for Baltimore" line. He said he'd spoken like an idiot, and it wasn't the town he didn't want to play for but Irsay. Irsay had screwed around with the previous few years' draft picks (especially the first rounders), and Elway didn't want to get caught up in that.

I couldn't blame him for feeling that way, especially with the hindsight of The Move.

I disliked Elway for years. The Broncos getting stomped by the Redskins in the Super Bowl was enough (along with family from the D.C. area) to get me to root for the Skins before the Ravens came to Baltimore.

In the early '90s I saw an Elway interview on ESPN. He was asked about the "won't play for Baltimore" line. He said he'd spoken like an idiot, and it wasn't the town he didn't want to play for but Irsay. Irsay had screwed around with the previous few years' draft picks (especially the first rounders), and Elway didn't want to get caught up in that.

I couldn't blame him for feeling that way, especially with the hindsight of The Move.

You know you're going to take the pleasure out of some folks' hate by sharing that, don't you?

It wasn't just Bob the Lush who was the problem--in fact it wasnt even mainly Irsay--it was HC Frank Kush, whom Elway pere & fils knew & loathed from his days as Arizona State HC. John had no intention of ever playing a down for a Kush-coached team if he could possibly avoid it--& as luck would have it, he could & did.

Should *YOU* have been forced to go work on the Titanic before it hit the open seas, knowing what the potential outcome would be?

I didn't think so.

I think the point is that the NFL draft is set up so that the worst teams have first crack at the best college talent. And as the No. 1 pick overall, he was certainly drafted by a lousy team. But I don't blame Elway, I blame Irsay for making a lousy deal with Denver. Then-Colts GM Ernie Accorsi has always said--and I believe him--that if the Colts had just been patient, they could have signed him.

I didn't think so.

Eli Manning is no different than John Elway. He threw a fit when he was drafted by San Diego. He didn't even want his pic taken as a #1 pick and pouted until he was traded to the NYG. Same difference with the exception of Elway having baseball to fall back on.

Your first point is off the mark. We're talking about the NFL and the rules set by the league. We're not talking about cruise ships.

I think the point is that the NFL draft is set up so that the worst teams have first crack at the best college talent. And as the No. 1 pick overall, he was certainly drafted by a lousy team. But I don't blame Elway, I blame Irsay for making a lousy deal with Denver. Then-Colts GM Ernie Accorsi has always said--and I believe him--that if the Colts had just been patient, they could have signed him.

Ernie Accorsi is still saying that. He had a book out about 2 years ago where he goes through the whole situation. He blames Irsay and Kush and not Elway. He also blames Irsay for making that deal with Denver. That bothered Accorsi enough to quit over.

Elway rules!!! I'm only 30 though so the Colts thing was before my time. One good thing to come out of the trade is: ESPN doesn't have to compare Elway,Unitas and Manning over who is the greatest Colts QB of all-time :D.

Ernie Accorsi is still saying that. He had a book out about 2 years ago where he goes through the whole situation. He blames Irsay and Kush and not Elway. He also blames Irsay for making that deal with Denver. That bothered Accorsi enough to quit over.

I haven't read the book, but I heard him interviewed a year or two ago. I think he mentioned something about having talked to Elway's agent right before the trade was made, and his agent had basically hinted that John wasn't going to play baseball. Accorsi left the conversation very confident that the Elway situation would work out and that he would sign with the Colts. Then the morons took over...

I can't blame Elway in any way for the move. Irsay was the problem. He was always the problem with that franchise. He likely would have traded Manning in a drunken stupor at some point back around 98 after he threw 28 INTs his rookie year. He would have moved the Colts to L.A. a couple years ago too.

I thought it was kind of fitting that Elway played for the Broncos because he really honestly looks like a horse. The guy has huge teeth and a sneer that reminds me of that old TV show Mr. Ed when he would start talking.

Oh thank God someone else is being petty. Don't have any feeling one way or the other, except that he has the highly annoying habit of never closing his mouth, it's always partyl agape. Hate that, really gets into slack jawed territory.

Thank God I'm so perfect.

I've always disliked Elway - well before I had ever heard about him dissing Baltimore.

He was the first free agent to come out of college football. Eli Manning was the second.

elway had the choice to play baseball...there have been other nfl draft pix with other professional options that teams took a chance on...drew hensen, dave winfield...

Eli Manning is no different than John Elway. He threw a fit when he was drafted by San Diego. He didn't even want his pic taken as a #1 pick and pouted until he was traded to the NYG. Same difference with the exception of Elway having baseball to fall back on.

Your first point is off the mark. We're talking about the NFL and the rules set by the league. We're not talking about cruise ships.

The circumstances of the situations are not similar.

As a Colts fan, it sucked at the time, but made perfect sense after you realized what a mess it was here right around Draft day in 1982. You really can't blame the guy for watching out for himself like that. He's probably my favorite QB of all time. Just loved watching the 4th quarter comebacks.

The you should be a TD fan; before TD Punkway was nothing.

The you should be a TD fan; before TD Punkway was nothing.

I think most folks who remember Elway's career well enough would disagree with that.

I didn't think so.

Well let's ask all those DRAFTED for WWI, WWII, Korea and 'NAM. opps one problem hundreds of thousands died and can't be asked.

Now stack that to poor little Punkway's NFL going to get paid DRAFT.

Titanic:rolleyes::eek: