Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

harcosportss

Harco Football 2009

1,219 posts in this topic

KnightSpider....If Harford County did it right, which unfortunatley I don't believe they will given their track record, they could build HT into something special. If done correctly it could rival the privates and not cost parents $12k -$18k a year. Winning the MIAA is nice but it does not compare to a State Championship...........

KnightSpider....If Harford County did it right, which unfortunatley I don't believe they will given their track record, they could build HT into something special. If done correctly it could rival the privates and not cost parents $12k -$18k a year. Winning the MIAA is nice but it does not compare to a State Championship...........

For Ht to do that they are going to have to pull from the rt 40. I cant see many kids from the Edgewood and Joppatowne area leaving to go up there. My neighbor plays jv lax and football for HT and I think they have been pulling some young kids from the JT rec lax program.

Joppatowne has won like 6 out of the last 8 regional championship and hasnt lost a county game in a couple years so it is going to be hard to get kids from down here. Plus HT is so far away up in the county. ET is located in a great place to pull alot of good kids.

I know when I was in school and the kids that were going to tech werent the athletically gifted kids. It was more of the kids that wanted to get away from the kids the went to middle school with and start over. But having Mcarthy up there and turning thier wrestling program around like 8 years ago has helped. Mcarthy has even pulled a couple kids from Joppatowne for wrestling.

What about Patterson MIll, what are their expectations, can they challenge bo manor and rising sun for the susq. division. . . .they are also a dark horse i think not mentioned earlier

If PM was going to ever have an advantage over anyone this would be the year. All of the kids on Varsity will have been playing for this coach for 3-4 yrs now and running the same system and plays with each other since they were freshman. With that being said I dont see them breaking .500 this year. They dont have enough size or speed to compete.

I respect your opinion but think you might be eating those words come November. Whats expected from Bel Air, second year with a new coach, should be seeing some improvement from a long year last year?

...With that being said I dont see them breaking .500 this year. They dont have enough size or speed to compete.

I would have to disagree. Keep in mind that LaFluer was out all of last year. Wann did a nice job of filling those shoes, but LaFluer will be as good, if not better then Nedo this season. Jones will be one of the top tailbacks in the lower league and Burke is a flat out playmaker.

The Huskies have had a year to beef up and mature. From what I have heard, they have had solid participation in their weight room all winter and spring and there is a great deal of excitement this summer. Their line will be the most improved unit in the entire league, upper or lower divisions. Remember, they started one freshman and two sophomores on Varsity last year and played competitive games, winning two.

LaFleur and a much improved lined, copuled with a schedule that is not too difficult puts Patterson Mill in good position. However, with all 1A teams, health is a big issue. You only have so many bodies to choose from and if injuries occur to key players (as they did last year) it can all go south very quickly.

On a separate note, I have not heard good things coming from the Bel Air program. It does not appear that players (or parents) are buying into Coach Alegi's program. When players don't buy in, it is difficult to win. When parents don't buy in, it is difficult to keep your coaching position.

Three coaching changes in five years and having to play the last two years on the road look to be taking their toll on the Bel Air program. However, I don't see the Bobcats improving much from last year. Keep in mind they only had three wins last season and a ton of lopsided losses. There three wins came against Patterson Mill, North Harford and Edgewood. Patterson Mill will be much improved, North Harford won't lose a 10 point lead with four minutes left in the game this year and Edgewood is not on the Bobcat scheduled. Bel Air is looking at one, maybe two wins max for 2009.

Agreed about the Bel Air program, it is sad what has happend to my bobcats since Riley has left. Even though he wasnt a great mastermind at football he did a nice job of keeping that program together. Once the prinicpal gets out of the school (or the program) the Bel Air program will once again be a dominate force in the county.

As for PM all the facts that you state are true and I agree with you. I have Personally seen them play and was not very impressed with the players. They had one or two very good guys but the rest were super JV players. They can and will get better but I dont see anything big for them this year. Winning breads winning and they havent done much of that in the past. But time will tell and I may be eating crowe at the end of the year. ( I usally do anyways)

Why did the Bel Air administration choose Allegi if he is already having problems with players and parents? What type of background did he have when they hired him? Didn't any experienced coaches apply for the job? Its too bad, because Bel Air should be more competitive in Harford County.

From what I know of his background he was the JV coach over at Havre de Grace. Did alright there but nothing special. I think they brough him in because he speaks well, so probally did well in the interview and the prinicpa wanted a youg guy in there who he could mold to fit his vision.

From what I hear non of the other coaches on the staff wanted to move up and take on the head role. I wonder why?

Bel air has only had 2 winning seasons since 98. So why is any of this surprising. Even when riley was there BA would have a good team about every 4 years.

Now that BA lost alot of kids to PM it will only get worse.

Did it seem that any other BA sports suffered the loss of kids. I haven't paid attention

Bel air has only had 2 winning seasons since 98. So why is any of this surprising. Even when riley was there BA would have a good team about every 4 years.

Jtowne, I would agree and disagree with you. I would disagree with BALaxer in the fact Bel Air will be dominent. They were never dominent (that is where I agree with you). However, I will say Bel Air was always competitive under Coach Riley. They had six winning seasons under him ('93, '94, '97, '98, '03, '04) and multiple .500 seasons.

The main reason for their multiple .500 seasons was their out of conference schedule. They played Urbana (in the middle of their record setting run), Middletown DE, Salesianum, and Thomas Johnson. Right there are eight losses (keeping in mind two year contracts between schools in football). Keep in mind Bel Air always seemed to draw Elkton on their schedule, who is always the class of Cecil County.

Under Coach Riley the Bobcats were always competitve in the county and carried winning county records. They were seldom blown out in county games (although it does happen over an 11 year career). I don't know what Coach Riley's record against county opponents was, but I would venture a guess that it was a winniing record; around .600 or .650.

I don't think Bel Air will ever be a dominent team. In order to be dominent you have to put years of success in a row. I think about the CM Wright teams of the early '90's, the Aberdeen teams of the late '90's and the Joppatowne teams this entire decade as dominent.

Nevertheless, it would be nice to see the Bobcats return to respectability. Last season many of their games were over in the first half. That was something that hadn't been seen at Bel Air since the '91 and '92 seasons under Coach Blizzard. Time will tell, but I have heard more negative comments then positive comments over the past year coming out of Bobcat country.

PTI you also have to remember Bel Air was the second biggest school in the county until the last couple years. They have a good record against much smaller schools. Thier losses were against teams they shoudl have been playing.

Also good to see you back on the boards.

I wonder why Bel Air stopped playing JC. It was a great rivalry.

When is JC first day of pratice?

I liked it when Joppatowne used to play JC.

I will say that my loyalty and frustration did blind me a little. Dominate was a little to strong of a word to use, Ill say competitive or respected. I would also like to add to the list of tough teams that Bel Air has played was Wild Lake. Especially the year after they won the 3A championship. So while they may not be "dominate" I would like them to regain their competitive nature they had under Riley.

Honestly.

JT will win the county. they have to much talent and young talent that will grow over years at that.

FH-Losing alot of talent. but still have a few good ones barile, montgomery, vecchioni,and creaghan. not to mention and outstanding line led by lovick. they have enough talent to have a winning season.

CMW-dont know much besides the RB Williams. hes a real threat. they lost alot of big guys though.

EDG-not sure

HDG-still has alot of talent left. losin hines will hurt i believe there QB can pick up that slack. Very athletic.

does anyone else in the county matter? or at least makin any noise?

Don't forget to mention NH. They return most of their big boys, including their entire backfield.

Is Turner going to be the starting QB this year?

Does anyone know if there are any Harford county players named to the Crab Bowl so far?

Damn my eagles looking bleak. Eagle football hasn't been good for a long long time. Who do they have coaching them now?

Does anyone know if there are any Harford county players named to the Crab Bowl so far?

The Linebacker from Joppatowne, I think is name is Jake McGinnis? That's all I know of.

a couple years ago edgewood mattered.

with washington and bell.

but yeah NH could be back not sure about there skill players but they always have big hogs up front.

Don't forget to mention NH. They return most of their big boys, including their entire backfield.

Is Turner going to be the starting QB this year?

Turner will be the starting QB again this season. He is more fluent in running the option then Barben is and is much more agile.

Barben will be playing WR/Slot. He has nice hands and is a hard-nosed athlete that isnt afraid to go over the middle. He better fit in the the slot then he did under center and gives Turner a reliable target on passing downs.

However, NH does NOT return their entire backfield. Their RB Bayer is scheduled for Tommy John surgery. He injured his elbow during the baseball season and will miss the 2009 football season.