Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High School Soccer 2009

1,045 posts in this topic

i believe so. they moved into what i believe is a weaker class when they went to 3A. look at it this way..wont have to play marriotts ridge enroute to a championship.

sorry if i read it wrong but PH is not in 3A

i believe so. they moved into what i believe is a weaker class when they went to 3A. look at it this way..wont have to play marriotts ridge enroute to a championship.

you talking about river hill?

I know Panther League is being played again by Oakland Mills

i know liberty has a 7v7 also. not sure who is playing this year

anything going on in harco as far as summer league?

Teams that I think will be in the top four spots in HoCo this season, in no particular order:

I was impressed with Atholton last year and think they will be strong over the next few years with some impressive young talent, especially one of their central defenders (Chan?)

Marriotts Ridge returns a core of strong players and some talented incoming freshmen, including another outstanding Martinelli brother. Patrick Sullivan and Josh Stover should power the offense, Nick Koutrelakos (sp?) organizing the defense. Good returning MF as well.

River Hill should do well if they gel. They have a group of rising seniors (6 or 7?) on the same club team so they should be able to put together a good season. Their freshman GK Nick V. got stronger as the year went on so that's a big plus to have him in the net for three more years.

Mt. Hebron returns some strong players with good club experience. They will be led by Aidan Hoolachan, Kevin Fitch, and David Butko. With some hard work this summer they should have a good season.

I think it's going to come down to River Hill vs. Marriott's Ridge again. RH has a core of very good players who play on the same club team and that's usually an advantage. I think they will get past the loss of some very good seniors.

MR has lost its two stars and while I think their offense will be OK because their juniors produced last year, the big question will be their defense. Although I think they only lost one defensive starter, that player is their GK and that will be harder for them to overcome. I think MR is going to have to make some big adjustments.

It will be an interesting season.

Not many teams have a Killian and not sure you replace him, as Bwana posted.....you make adjustments.

Sweeper back (and the entire crew) may have to become far more disciplined than they were last year. Killian was also able to play well with his feet and was aggressive off his line allowing them to gamble at times.

Martinelli was the engine IMO and will be missed........but from what I have seen in summer league they have some very talented players returning.

You guys always forget the Eastern Shore, Pocomoke will win the 1A State Championships again this year losing only (1) senior last year. However this will be their last year for a long time, losing not only the majority of their key players but their head coach as well.

Have to agree with that. They are always in the hunt

Have to agree with that. They are always in the hunt

Agree. They have had a good run. Always impressive.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow. Here is to hard work and no injuries.

Not many teams have a Killian and not sure you replace him, as Bwana posted.....you make adjustments.

Sweeper back (and the entire crew) may have to become far more disciplined than they were last year. Killian was also able to play well with his feet and was aggressive off his line allowing them to gamble at times.

Martinelli was the engine IMO and will be missed........but from what I have seen in summer league they have some very talented players returning.

Yeah the summer league showed some very talented returning players for Marriotts Ridge, including a freshman Regional ODP keeper, as well as a returning senior who apparently plays on Maryland ODP and didn't start on the team last year. A parent at the game said that he will most likely be replacing Martinelli at forward. Also Killian may have been an amazing keeper but he wasn't even challenged in many games because of the strength of the defense who will all be returning. The team will have great chemistry and should prove to be very dangerous yet again, possibly even better than last year.

Also the summer league showed that Liberty will likely not be as strong as last year. The loss of Gillen and Rigby will hurt alot as they didn't show players with the caliber to replace them.

The Marriotts Ridge vs. Liberty game on Sept. 8th at Marriotts Ridge should be very fun to watch though, especially with so many of those players playing on club together.

Rumor is that Chan, the freshman sweeper for Atholton, will not be returning because he is transferring to a private school. Can anyone confirm this?

Ricky makes a valid point. Some people aren't easy to replace, but what if their entire replacement isn't even necessary? A team as successful as MR was a year ago only needs 2 solid players to replace their former stars for them to succeed again. It looks to me as though they've got more than just 2 solid replacements.

Ricky makes a valid point. Some people aren't easy to replace, but what if their entire replacement isn't even necessary? A team as successful as MR was a year ago only needs 2 solid players to replace their former stars for them to succeed again. It looks to me as though they've got more than just 2 solid replacements.

MR should have a good squad in 2009 but don't underestimate the importance to them of their two departed stars. They each brought a lot more to that team than just their skill level and even their leadership. They brought a winning attitude and winning experience, having both played on the excellent SAC 1990 team.

The MR coach is good enough to adapt to their leaving high school, but it will be a while (maybe just a short while) until the impact of not having them on the team is overcome.

The GK position may be up for grabs as the freshman keeper that RickyBobby mentioned is very good. Obviously he is not at Killian's level at this point in his development but he will grow and I am sure the Coach is very happy to have such a quality player coming into the system.

Even with Martinelli gone, MR should have more than enough offensive firepower to give other teams fits. The key as always is how good their defense will be. It was excellent last season and remember, Killian was a very vocal and commanding presence in the back. He was excellent at directing the defense. That will be the biggest challenge to his replacement, whoever it is. Some of that slack can be picked up by the defenseman Langenfelter who is a smart player and I think may be one of the captains this season.

Who do you think will be the team to beat in Howard County this season?

MR should have a good squad in 2009 but don't underestimate the importance to them of their two departed stars. They each brought a lot more to that team than just their skill level and even their leadership. They brought a winning attitude and winning experience, having both played on the excellent SAC 1990 team.

The MR coach is good enough to adapt to their leaving high school, but it will be a while (maybe just a short while) until the impact of not having them on the team is overcome.

The GK position may be up for grabs as the freshman keeper that RickyBobby mentioned is very good. Obviously he is not at Killian's level at this point in his development but he will grow and I am sure the Coach is very happy to have such a quality player coming into the system.

Even with Martinelli gone, MR should have more than enough offensive firepower to give other teams fits. The key as always is how good their defense will be. It was excellent last season and remember, Killian was a very vocal and commanding presence in the back. He was excellent at directing the defense. That will be the biggest challenge to his replacement, whoever it is. Some of that slack can be picked up by the defenseman Langenfelter who is a smart player and I think may be one of the captains this season.

Who do you think will be the team to beat in Howard County this season?

Well put. They will be good there is no doubt.

Top 4 teams in Howard County should be Marriotts Ridge, River Hill, and probably Atholton and Mount Hebron.

How is Anne Arundel county looking? Seeing as there isn't a county championship anymore and top teams in each county will be playing for the District V Title

Yeah the summer league showed some very talented returning players for Marriotts Ridge, including a freshman Regional ODP keeper, as well as a returning senior who apparently plays on Maryland ODP and didn't start on the team last year. A parent at the game said that he will most likely be replacing Martinelli at forward. Also Killian may have been an amazing keeper but he wasn't even challenged in many games because of the strength of the defense who will all be returning. The team will have great chemistry and should prove to be very dangerous yet again, possibly even better than last year.

Also the summer league showed that Liberty will likely not be as strong as last year. The loss of Gillen and Rigby will hurt alot as they didn't show players with the caliber to replace them.

The Marriotts Ridge vs. Liberty game on Sept. 8th at Marriotts Ridge should be very fun to watch though, especially with so many of those players playing on club together.

Rumor is that Chan, the freshman sweeper for Atholton, will not be returning because he is transferring to a private school. Can anyone confirm this?

Although I do agree with your asssessment. Summer league can provide opportunity to assess individual talent but is hardly an accurate tool to place value on the sum of the parts.

MR may turn out to be the best school in 2A and eventual state champs as well. Right now they most likely are the most skilled and early favorite.

As far as Liberty losing Gillen and Rigby that is a big hole to fill in the middle. Sweeper and center mid. Anxious to see who steps up. New coach as well. Very capable and qualified guy.

Losing Killian and Martinelli's "leadership" and "winning" mentality could possibly be easier done than said, if that's even possible. As far as winning, most if not all (?) of the starting squad this year has been on the team for the past 2 years (except for that new gk, of course) and they know how to win. 26 wins in 2 seasons is a pretty significant statistic.

The fact of the matter is, is that these players already know how to win. Whether Killian and Martinelli helped them, as they undoubtedly did, is beside the point because they should all have that mentality by now.

As far as leadership goes, I'm not sure that getting in trouble at numerous school sanctioned events for... various reasons shows as much leadership as possible. With the defense man at captain, MR should be facing a whole new player-to-player mentality.

As far as best in HoCo, I'd say MR, RH, MTH, Atholton and maybe even Oakland Mills. Don't forget that Reservoir is always solid, and how Centennial was almost able to shock both RH and MR last season.

Losing Killian and Martinelli's "leadership" and "winning" mentality could possibly be easier done than said, if that's even possible. As far as winning, most if not all (?) of the starting squad this year has been on the team for the past 2 years (except for that new gk, of course) and they know how to win. 26 wins in 2 seasons is a pretty significant statistic.

The fact of the matter is, is that these players already know how to win. Whether Killian and Martinelli helped them, as they undoubtedly did, is beside the point because they should all have that mentality by now.

As far as leadership goes, I'm not sure that getting in trouble at numerous school sanctioned events for... various reasons shows as much leadership as possible. With the defense man at captain, MR should be facing a whole new player-to-player mentality.

As far as best in HoCo, I'd say MR, RH, MTH, Atholton and maybe even Oakland Mills. Don't forget that Reservoir is always solid, and how Centennial was almost able to shock both RH and MR last season.

Why do you think that Martinelli and Killian got in trouble at "numerous school sanctioned events for... various reasons"? From what I've heard they were excellent leaders and showed this leadership off the field as well.

I can't see Oakland Mills anywhere near the top 4. They lost their long throw in which was the only thing that kept them in tight games, and even with that finished 1-8-2 in HoCo league. Reservoir should still be good though.

Why do you think that Martinelli and Killian got in trouble at "numerous school sanctioned events for... various reasons"? From what I've heard they were excellent leaders and showed this leadership off the field as well.

I can't see Oakland Mills anywhere near the top 4. They lost their long throw in which was the only thing that kept them in tight games, and even with that finished 1-8-2 in HoCo league. Reservoir should still be good though.

Why do I think that? Just what I've heard through what the kids say. Teenagers will be teenagers, but not even trying to hide obvious malbehavior is more irresponsible than doing it in the first place.