Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High School Soccer 2009

1,045 posts in this topic

No excuses...watch the tape, because you were obviously not at the game. MR was a good team and played a competitive game. They go home with the trophy and the title, but I would like someone to finally be honest and have the guts to really talk about how the game went. There were many bad calls and many missed calls, but the fact is the ref called back an actual goal. The only goal scored in regulation. Teams get lucky and MR should thankful that luck was on there side in a yellow jersey.

Wow, do I hear sour grapes here? The ref had an obvious agenda? How silly is that? Bad calls happen. Missed calls happen. Its part of the game. How come you are not chastizing your players for missing shots or misplaying the ball or any of the myriad mistakes players make over the course of the game. Quit your crying. You guys played well and I'm sure if that game was played 10 times it would be 5-5. Accept your loss with dignity and sportsmanship and quit blaming other people for the loss. It happens!!

I do feel sorry for you. Be honest? Excellent advice. Fallston did not win. The ball in the net was not a goal since it was called back the ref on the field in the play. their was no hesitation on his part. He was there in the play. Don't like the call? Maybe you need to consider that is part of the game. Be honest? I am. MR won that game. Both teams were excellent. Both teams were well prepared. It was fun soccer to watch. However, the complaining going on now detracts much from the team AND the coach. Sad commentary on the sportsmanship of the coach...poor role model in THAT case.

please do not come on here and bicker if you are an upset player on a fallen short team..you have better use for your time

No excuses...watch the tape, because you were obviously not at the game. MR was a good team and played a competitive game. They go home with the trophy and the title, but I would like someone to finally be honest and have the guts to really talk about how the game went. There were many bad calls and many missed calls, but the fact is the ref called back an actual goal. The only goal scored in regulation. Teams get lucky and MR should thankful that luck was on there side in a yellow jersey.

I watched the video and from the angle given you can't see what foul may actually have occurred or may not have occurred, so I'm just gonna have to agree with the referees call because he had the best view of the play. And it's not MR fault that Fallston played poor defense on which they gave up the goal which is the reason they lost.

LOL...Not a player and honest soccer fan

hahaha never gets old hearing fallston complain, never gets old :rolleyes:

Did you actually watch the game? The ref did not just blow a call, he had an obvious agenda. I am not sure who has what opinion about coach hoover, but I think he displayed incredible sportsmanship. Fallston scored in regulation, the goal was nullified for no reason (watch the tape) and there were no goals after that...pretty simple math to me

He had an obvious agenda? Seriously? There were blown calls the whole game for both teams, but as you can see from watching the TAPE (your advice), he called the foul before the ball went in the net. It looks to me like the could be some holding of the keeper from the front by the Fallston player, but as someone said, the camera angle just isn't sufficient. The point is, the ref was 5 feet from the play, he saw it, and immediately called it. There was no hesitation.

To say that MR got lucky? That's just sour grapes. Both teams played very hard, and very well, and it was a great game. But look at the film again; MR hit the post once and missed 2 wide open shots that could've been passed in. Fallston had that corner and the chance early in the game where the MR keeper made a poor decision and mistimed coming out for the ball, and number 4 on Fallston hit the outside of the side netting with his shot on goal with very little angle. Those were the only solid chances that I saw Fallston have. It's annoying when people come on here after they lost, thinking complaining will get them back the game. I just don't like it when players, fans, and coaches (shouldn't even have to include the coaches part but for some reason, it's relevant) show poor sportsmanship after a high school game on a forum like this.

Fallston coach showed complete lack of class. The coach's behavior is embarrassing to the entire Fallston program. The program has shown that they don't know what it takes to win a state championship in recent years, with repeatedly coming short in the end. I think this display by their coach is just bitterness for his own failure to deliver a championship.

Wow, do I hear sour grapes here? The ref had an obvious agenda? How silly is that? Bad calls happen. Missed calls happen. Its part of the game. How come you are not chastizing your players for missing shots or misplaying the ball or any of the myriad mistakes players make over the course of the game. Quit your crying. You guys played well and I'm sure if that game was played 10 times it would be 5-5. Accept your loss with dignity and sportsmanship and quit blaming other people for the loss. It happens!!

\

Should a 60+ year old ref be on the field in in a state championship? Maybe, but not this one.

Fallston coach showed complete lack of class. The coach's behavior is embarrassing to the entire Fallston program. The program has shown that they don't know what it takes to win a state championship in recent years, with repeatedly coming short in the end. I think this display by their coach is just bitterness for his own failure to deliver a championship.

Poppycock!

Things that bother me the most is when they combine the public school and private team stats or rankings in the paper.

When mpsaa picks the players for the all-state, most of the private school players are on the first team. The news don't normally recognize the public school and they do more favor to private.

I think both private & public schools should not be in the mix b/c they are not from the same environment.

Indeed!

Did you see where a ton of MSJ players are from? AA County. From Glen Burnie to Lothian.

Regional teams should never be compared to local teams. If we all played by the same rules, private teams would never be in the top 10.

\

Should a 60+ year old ref be on the field in in a state championship? Maybe, but not this one.

He wasn't 60+. Because he has gray hair he's 60+? Watch the tape. He does a damn good job of being where he's supposed to be, on both set pieces and on the run of play, just as he's supposed to. The refereeing crews in ALL of the state final games that I have watched, which includes this one of course, have left nothing to be desired.

He wasn't 60+. Because he has gray hair he's 60+? Watch the tape. He does a damn good job of being where he's supposed to be, on both set pieces and on the run of play, just as he's supposed to. The refereeing crews in ALL of the state final games that I have watched, which includes this one of course, have left nothing to be desired.

I concur. They are generally the more experienced better refs out there. A little grey hair does not make them incapable of officiating at a high level. I also watched the games and even being more critical than the average fan I was more than satisfied with their performance on the whole.

I've been pm'd with the age of that ref. What is your guess?

I was at the Marriotts Ridge / Fallston game and thought the refs did a very good job. Both teams got verballed for being physical at times and I thought the refs let the game play, yet kept things in check. Certainly fouls are missed in every game, but that usually goes both ways.

Don't forget the fan bias / perspective from which you view the game: I know the Marriotts Ridge fans were amazed/upset that one of Fallston's players didn't get a second yellow card on what was a flagrant foul late in the game (knocked over a MR player near the endline.) Even the commentators, who are neutral, made a point of commenting about the foul.

Secondly, had the goal not been called back, I'm sure the Marriotts Ridge fans would have been angry that the corner kick was even called in the first place. It sure looked like a goal kick would have been the correct call, but once again, the refs are on the field and have the closer view.

As far as the goal that was called back, the call was made before the ball went in the goal. The ref was in great position to make the call. I couldn't see what happened, but it was very obvious from the quick response of the ref that he saw something - no indecisiveness whatsoever.

Finally, it's always a shame that one team has to lose such a close, exciting game. Both teams were excellent and should be proud of their seasons.

does anyone know when all-county teams will be out?

I think around 10-15 of December.

I was at the Marriotts Ridge / Fallston game and thought the refs did a very good job. Both teams got verballed for being physical at times and I thought the refs let the game play, yet kept things in check. Certainly fouls are missed in every game, but that usually goes both ways.

Don't forget the fan bias / perspective from which you view the game: I know the Marriotts Ridge fans were amazed/upset that one of Fallston's players didn't get a second yellow card on what was a flagrant foul late in the game (knocked over a MR player near the endline.) Even the commentators, who are neutral, made a point of commenting about the foul.

Secondly, had the goal not been called back, I'm sure the Marriotts Ridge fans would have been angry that the corner kick was even called in the first place. It sure looked like a goal kick would have been the correct call, but once again, the refs are on the field and have the closer view.

As far as the goal that was called back, the call was made before the ball went in the goal. The ref was in great position to make the call. I couldn't see what happened, but it was very obvious from the quick response of the ref that he saw something - no indecisiveness whatsoever.

Finally, it's always a shame that one team has to lose such a close, exciting game. Both teams were excellent and should be proud of their seasons.

The HS game is over and MR won the state. No dispute and now go to see what the best players in the country are doing. Not HS or county games, come on...

Any top players from Fallston & MR are in the showcase this weekend?

See this link:

http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/Development-Academy/Events/Winter-Showcase-09/Winter-Showcase-Home/Schedule-Results/Nike-Friendlies.aspx

So high school soccer tryouts are underway. Any good info? Anyone have the look of a good exciting team?