Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Local Boy

"Green Stands For Greed"

55 posts in this topic

After watching the press conference on Rutgers University Women's basketball. I have to agree with their coach, when people "Imus" are allowed to say disgusting things just to get a rouse up, than they must be taken off the air. What a terrible thing to say about 10 very talented and intelligent young ladies. I only hope everyone who has a child going into college, has a coach as dedicated as this coach is to her players. She could have let it lie,but instead called Imus out. Way to go coach and Green does mean greed. She sees this remark as not only despicable but one in where Imus doesn't see a black or white young lady but how much money he can make off it and other shock thoughts. Anyone have any other views?

So, by your logic, every time an athlete says a stupid or demeaning thing, they should be removed from the team?

Have you ever heard the trash talk that goes on during a basketball game?

No one would be playing the games.

If you don't like the man, don't listen. Only his boss can "have him taken off the air"

I love the fact that they said there experience was ruined by his comments. Granted I will be the first to say the comments were completely out of line, but I would be willing to bet most of them did not know about what was said until after they were told about them. It is truely amazing in this country you can burn the flag but are not allowed to say anything that might offend someone. Do I agree with what was said, NO, but that doesnt mean someone should not have the freedom to say it.

So, by your logic, every time an athlete says a stupid or demeaning thing, they should be removed from the team?

If you don't like the man, don't listen. Only his boss can "have him taken off the air"

It's logic like yours that make people like Imus see nothing wrong with what he said. I'll be the first to admit that trash talking goes on on the court but, who hears it other than than the other players or anyone within earshot. This guy comes out and publicy humliates these young ladies with a statement like that. It was cruel and basically racsist to say the least. He should be fired or does "freedom of speech" allow for this type of behavior. Would he be man enogh to make a statement like that in these young ladies presence? I don't think so. He probably would have gotten his cowardly little butt whipped. A public apology or suspension would be letting him off too easy. He should be dealt with just as Jimmy The Greek was years ago for making such a classless statement... FIRED!!!

I think he said "than they must be taken off the air". Basketball players don't have mic when they talk trash during a game.

what he said was wrong, okay sure...it definately was.

But on a mass spectrum are people so ticked off they're losing sleep?

"OH I AM JUST SO OFFENDED BY WHAT HE SAID I COULDNT SLEEP LAST NIGHT"

It was wrong, people called him out on it, move on.

It's logic like yours that make people like Imus see nothing wrong with what he said. I'll be the first to admit that trash talking goes on on the court but, who hears it other than than the other players or anyone within earshot. This guy comes out and publicy humliates these young ladies with a statement like that. It was cruel and basically racsist to say the least. He should be fired or does "freedom of speech" allow for this type of behavior. Would he be man enogh to make a statement like that in these young ladies presence? I don't think so. He probably would have gotten his cowardly little butt whipped. A public apology or suspension would be letting him off too easy. He should be dealt with just as Jimmy The Greek was years ago for making such a classless statement... FIRED!!!

And Howard Cossell, Michael Ray Richardson

what he said was wrong, okay sure...it definately was.

But on a mass spectrum are people so ticked off they're losing sleep?

"OH I AM JUST SO OFFENDED BY WHAT HE SAID I COULDNT SLEEP LAST NIGHT"

It was wrong, people called him out on it, move on.

And who are you to tell people how to feel. It was not said about you. Michael Ray Richardson was just fired for comments about Jewish people.

And who are you to tell people how to feel. It was not said about you. Michael Ray Richardson was just fired for comments about Jewish people.

i'm one of those soldiers far far away who has nothing better to do before he turns in for the night.

you must of been one of those people who did lose sleep.

ZzZzZZZzzzzzzzzZzZZZz

you must of been one of those people who did lose sleep.

ZzZzZZZzzzzzzzzZzZZZz

No because ignorant peopl like you and Imus don't surprise me.

no ignorance here, i would be the first to admit he's wrong. as was posted above. theres no need for it to be dragged out worse than the mel gibson thing.

and back to this, who am i to tell people how to feel? Feel however you want to. I didnt cry when Richardson made comments about Jews. I thought to myself "hmm is it true? no...so theres no reason to worry about it" and went on with my life.

no ignorance here, i would be the first to admit he's wrong. as was posted above. theres no need for it to be dragged out worse than the mel gibson thing.

So just let it go and move on. You be sure to let us know when more needs to be done.

and back to this, who am i to tell people how to feel? Feel however you want to. I didnt cry when Richardson made comments about Jews. I thought to myself "hmm is it true? no...so theres no reason to worry about it" and went on with my life.

So unless everyone reacts like you, they are wrong.

So just let it go and move on. You be sure to let us know when more needs to be done.

I moved on about 10 minutes after the story broke. But for those first 9 minutes and 59 seconds I wasn't sure how I was going to survive the day. Then i went and got some food and forgot about it. But when something more needs to be done, I'll contact you personally.

So unless everyone reacts like you, they are wrong.

Where was that stated again? Where is this invisible text. I dont know for sure. But Im going to goto bed now, I've got a long day tomorrow defending your freedom.

edit :

Feel however you want to.

I'm insulted and feel threatened by most of these hip-hop/rap songs and videos that I'm forced to listen to every time I turn on the radio/TV or hear around most high schools.

I think all those "artists" that create that crap should also be arrested/fired/lose their recording contracts.

What Imus said is wrong/stupid, but is no different than what we hear every day on any "urban" radio network.

I see Jesse Jackson still has his job/notoriety even after his "Hymietown" comment

touche'

golfer

and, yes it is "Freedom of Speech".

I don't give a wit about your feelings or anyone elses.

I care about idiot statements like, "he should be taken off the air"

Should a person be fired every time anyone disagrees and feigns offense?

That was rhetorical. I apologize.

Interesting topic...although not sure why it's on HS sports? In any event, no question the comments were outrageous.

My own feelings as to "what should be done" - Let the free market determine the outcome. If listeners stop tuning in, then advertisers will walk away...and ultimately Imus will be let go. If that's the outcome, then sobeit. But personally, I'm a big believer of freedom of speech, so any organized attempts by various groups, to have this individual removed, would run contrary to those beliefs.

Expressing indignation is one thing, but orchestrated efforts to remove him, are quite another.

a teacher stands in front of his/her class an says "i have some rough looking girls in this class. yall are some nappy headed hoes". I guess that teacher should just be suspended as long as he/she apologizes. This society is so troubled. The freedom of speech card is BS. Hey Pathfinder, i see that you're a soldier. If your fellow soldiers were insulted by a commander of a different race, u would expect them to just move on an continue to follow this man/women's orders. Things today are to easily swept up under the rug. Another thing, why is he apologizing? He's just an racist idiot an if this is what he thinks of black women, then why is he apologizing about it? When he was sitting with Sharpeton he quite eloquently said, "i just can't get anywhere with you people". It's a shame that this story is getting more attention than the death of the greatest football coach ever to carry a whistle, Eddie Robinson. Again i ask, who the hell is Imus?

RE: "The freedom of speech card is BS"

Seriously? WOW! :eek:

RE: "The freedom of speech card is BS"

Seriously? WOW! :eek:

slap, i only say that because people only pull that card when it's convient. Not that it's BS in a whole.

. Hey Pathfinder, i see that you're a soldier. If your fellow soldiers were insulted by a commander of a different race, u would expect them to just move on an continue to follow this man/women's orders.

Yep. Or it's their ***. Thats not to say that this commander wouldn't be reprimanded somehow. But they sure as hell better follow it. It's hard to compare the military sometimes to civilian world/press, because expectations are a hell of a lot higher. I could never say that, nor would i ever say that to someone under my command, but if I did they would probably follow the order, but then take the appropriate action against me.