Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Local Boy

"Green Stands For Greed"

55 posts in this topic

a teacher stands in front of his/her class an says "i have some rough looking girls in this class. yall are some nappy headed hoes". I guess that teacher should just be suspended as long as he/she apologizes.

Hardly a legitimate comparison - a captive audience in a classroom vs. a group of voluntary radio listeners. Bad analogy.

Make all the correct analogies you want, and skewer the guy for his comments. But remember that he's a shock-jock and has said outrageous things for a long time, not unlike several others out there. It's designed as harsh comedy (not funny to me) in order to get people to listen.

Offensive? sure. Life ruining? pure hyperbole.

Oh and don't let me forget Dave Chapelle last night saying "trailer dwelling fat *** white broads" and using the n---- word at least 20 times.

He should be fired also.

Personally I think Charles Barkley should spit on him right after the playoffs!

Personally I think Charles Barkley should spit on him right after the playoffs!

Too funny! Imus I've tried to watch his show but I reallly don't get it. ;) An apology was needed. Maybe he should have the girls on the show.

first, what nerve, did he look in the mirror lately, if u going to use negative words, no what they mean!! nappy is when you dont comb you hair and it bends up, and ho is a prostitute! which none of them girl are; them girl hair was fine, he just trying to use slang that he dont know nuthing about, he should be fired, and good for cal ripken for canceling the show he suppose to do with him! good for u cal!

Where was that stated again? Where is this invisible text. I dont know for sure. But Im going to goto bed now, I've got a long day tomorrow defending your freedom.

edit :

Pathfinder, there were many, many young and older people before you and there will be many more after you. You don't own that card. I'm one of them and I did it before you were a thought. Your service to the country is much appreciated but it doesn't give you the right to shout down any other citizen. There are many people that make our country what it is. While you are away there are police officers making sure your family is safe from harm. Firemen ready to rush in while others run the other way. Teachers that educate your kids, if you have any. I'm preparing to go to a job that will help keep you safe while you go about your business where ever you are. So you are not the only one and your opinion is of no greater value than any other lawbiding citizen.

Back to the issue at hand. Offensive, ignorant and uncalled for? Yes. Fired? No. It's his job to go on the air and say things to get a reaction. Let his listeners decide if he should be fired. If they stop listening, he'll be gone quicker than a NY second. This was just an unprovoked attack on a group of innocent by standers. Apologize, serve the two week suspension and leave college kids alone unless they do something really stupid. Should we brand a huge R for racist on his forehead, no. Besides TV has gotten so bad that they now broadcast a guy doing a radio show? Only thing more boring than that is watching paint dry.

Couple of interesting points that have surfaced in the last few days....

(1) Where's the outrage and indignation from the feminist groups? Imus' comments were gender specific, yet we've only heard about the racial side of this story?

(2) The specific language used by Imus is no different than what is found in the lyrics of much of the music, or music videos today.

Regarding point #2, I understand that it has to be taken in context, and more specifically, who's making the remarks. In one instance, it can be viewed as racist, while in another context, it's derogatory and denigrating...and stereotypes a certain segment of the population. No mater the context, all are offensive...but trying to change peoples hearts and stereotypes, through sensorship, will never work. All that happens is these feelings go underground....they don't go away. Only through education and by venting the issues will things ever truely change.

I wonder how many of these girls even heard of Imus before this?

Because the one girl said she is now scared for life. Come on now. Im sure these girls have been called worse by a x boyfriend, brother, sister, or best friend. I think some of them are just tring to get some money out of it.

Imus does alot for kids with cancer black, white or whatever.

Here is some info on is ranch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imus_Ranch

Was what he said wrong. Yea but move on. What about freedom of speech?

I wonder how many of these girls even heard of Imus before this?

Because the one girl said she is now scared for life. Come on now. Im sure these girls have been called worse by a x boyfriend, brother, sister, or best friend. I think some of them are just tring to get some money out of it.

Imus does alot for kids with cancer black, white or whatever.

Here is some info on is ranch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imus_Ranch

Was what he said wrong. Yea but move on. What about freedom of speech?

I'm so sick of the just move on BS. When is it time to stand for something?

(1) Where's the outrage and indignation from the feminist groups? Imus' comments were gender specific, yet we've only heard about the racial side of this story?

(2) The specific language used by Imus is no different than what is found in the lyrics of much of the music, or music videos today.

Regarding point #2, I understand that it has to be taken in context, and more specifically, who's making the remarks. In one instance, it can be viewed as racist, while in another context, it's derogatory and denigrating...and stereotypes a certain segment of the population. No mater the context, all are offensive...but trying to change peoples hearts and stereotypes, through sensorship, will never work. All that happens is these feelings go underground....they don't go away. Only through education and by venting the issues will things ever truely change.

As for your point (1), i was wondering the same thing. The only person that said something about this not just being about race but about women was C. Vivian Stringer.

We'll never heal from the past. Why should blacks forget their history.

That's one of the biggest problems in America. People want blacks to forget and forgive. I may forgive, but we must NEVER forget. If we don't teach our children the truth's of our nation, they'll never understand the inequalities we face on a daily basis.

America has inslaved blacks, lynched blacks, raped blacks and tourtured blacks. The fruits of my ancestors labors have enriched generations of white families.

Not only does Imus need to apologize, but America needs to apologize then MAYBE we can move on.

In a world where we have a war going on in 2 countries, a potential war with a 3rd, a pandemic called AIDS, 30,000+ murders each year in this country, failing urban public education system, healthcare system that is not serving the needs of millions of people. a crumbling family structure, rampent unemployment in minority communities, an immgration policy in state of confusion. gobal warming leading to worldwide imbalances just to name a few issuses far far more important that what Imus said or who is Anna Nicole's baby daddy but that is what is on the TV .. Why do we continue to DUMB down the veiwing/listening public.

In a world where we have a war going on in 2 countries, a potential war with a 3rd, a pandemic called AIDS, 30,000+ murders each year in this country, failing urban public education system, healthcare system that is not serving the needs of millions of people. a crumbling family structure, rampent unemployment in minority communities, an immgration policy in state of confusion. gobal warming leading to worldwide imbalances just to name a few issuses far far more important that what Imus said or who is Anna Nicole's baby daddy but that is what is on the TV .. Why do we continue to DUMB down the veiwing/listening public.

Why? Because as a whole, society dosen't have the balls to stand for anything anymore. Everyone just wants to "move on". It's such a shame. Besides we dummied down the white house for the last 8 years an the dumb stuff just trickled down into everythig else.

An i really don't think the Imus thing and the Anna Nicole's baby daddy thing are on the same level.

Why should america apoligize?? Maybe if you can show me ONE american who owned a slave then yes I agree that person should apoligize. Me personally I never owned one therefore would never apoligize. Second I love how you like to blame 200 years of problems on slavery. Granted it was a terrible time although initiated by there own kind who sold them into slavery. Oh and the last time I checked there have been many white women raped and white people killed. Todays problems have little to do with slavery and alot to do with people who refuse to accept responsibility for there actions and instill those values into the kids. No one deserves to be taught that due to your color anything should be handed to you. In a perfect world the sex and race of applications to work school and everything else would not be there and each should strive to do the best. Instead due to certain people too many believe that the world owes certain people things and they should not have to compete, thus setting many up for failure and the cycle continues.

Why should america apoligize?? Maybe if you can show me ONE american who owned a slave then yes I agree that person should apoligize. Me personally I never owned one therefore would never apoligize. Second I love how you like to blame 200 years of problems on slavery. Granted it was a terrible time although initiated by there own kind who sold them into slavery. Oh and the last time I checked there have been many white women raped and white people killed. Todays problems have little to do with slavery and alot to do with people who refuse to accept responsibility for there actions and instill those values into the kids. No one deserves to be taught that due to your color anything should be handed to you. In a perfect world the sex and race of applications to work school and everything else would not be there and each should strive to do the best. Instead due to certain people too many believe that the world owes certain people things and they should not have to compete, thus setting many up for failure and the cycle continues.

I love it when people can have great civil converstaions.................I agree that there is a lack of accountablity within society today. But, i'm not talkin about teaching someone that because of their color something should be handed to them. That's insane. But, a person should be taught the history of their people. The postive & negative. When my parents taught me the history of my people yes it did put a chip on my shoulder that i still carry today. We don't have to go back to slavery we can go to the 60's. Care to explain that? i by no means think that this world owes anybody anything, an black children that are taught the proper history of their people are not taught that because of the color of their skin that it owes them anything. That chip that I carry reminds me that since i'm black, i can't be average i have to be above average. My friend, i don't know you, but i think that is something that you will never understand.

http://www.break.com/index/double_standard.html

What would have happen if this was a white guy talking about black people like this?

I am not appoligizing for anything. My family was still Norway, England, Italy, and England until the early 1900's

He would be ask to make a public apology an then everyone would be ask to "move on"....................................There are idiot in every race. What's your point? The use of stereotypes rather than reality to describe or draw conclusions about people of different racial or ethnic backgrounds is "THE CORE OF RACISM!". I don't care if you're green, purple or as blue as a smurf.

That's one of the biggest problems in America. People want blacks to forget and forgive. I may forgive, but we must NEVER forget. If we don't teach our children the truth's of our nation, they'll never understand the inequalities we face on a daily basis.

America has inslaved blacks, lynched blacks, raped blacks and tourtured blacks. The fruits of my ancestors labors have enriched generations of white families.

Not only does Imus need to apologize, but America needs to apologize then MAYBE we can move on.

I ain't apologizin for nothin. I didn't enslave a soul and neither did my family back to my grandparents at least. I am not responsible for the feelings of an entire race because of mine.

I ain't apologizin for nothin. I didn't enslave a soul and neither did my family back to my grandparents at least. I am not responsible for the feelings of an entire race because of mine.

I wouldn't really expect america to apologize. Like i said, you apologize for mistakes. That attorney dude owes the Duke lacrosse players an apology. Duke University owes those players an apology. Everyone in that community that pre-judged them owes them an apology. That was a mistake. Imus' words, slavery or the 60's weren't a mistake.

Duke did the right thing. Get out of Dodge and let the legal system work itself out. What credible school is going to latch on to what is questionable behavior by their students, guilty, innocent or otherwise.

I would never ask for an apology from anybody, nor am I inclined to give any. Why do people constantly seek approval from those that neither understand nor respect you?

I do think the young ladies hold the moral high ground in this issue, but what is that worth? You think Imus will change a lifetime of ignorance in 2 weeks? A college and military washout, and a junkie on top of that. He would be lucky if I let him shine my shoes. I hardly value anything he has to say.

Duke did the right thing. Get out of Dodge and let the legal system work itself out. What credible school is going to latch on to what is questionable behavior by their students, guilty, innocent or otherwise.

I would never ask for an apology from anybody, nor am I inclined to give any. Why do people constantly seek approval from those that neither understand nor respect you?

I do think the young ladies hold the moral high ground in this issue, but what is that worth? You think Imus will change a lifetime of ignorance in 2 weeks? A college and miltary washout, and a junkie on top of that. He would be lucky if I let him shine my shoes. I hardly value anything he has to say.

This may have been the best post yet. Thanks to you i'm done with this thread. I'm enlightened. Thank u Japark

honestly i just dont see the value in giving a damn what other people think about you. its possible to accomplish anything regardless of your race. every person of every color has been discriminated before in their lifetime. the question you have to ask yourself is...is it worth it to dwell on the ignorance of others or is just easier to go about your life saying f*** them i know who i am and what im not and im not going to let anyone bring me down. racism has always exsisted and always will. those that hold prejudices really piss me off but hey sucks to be them there the ones missing out on some truly special human beings by being bigoted and narrow minded.

Don't think anyone expects blacks to forget. No more than Jews should forget the Holocaust. But "moving on" is a whole different thing than forgetting or even forgiving the sins of the past.

Personally, I would think it would be very difficult to effectively function in society with such a huge chip on one's shoulder? But that's just me.

I haven't heard a lot from women's groups either but Hillary Clinton released the following remarks:

"When our children are young, we teach them to dream big and reach for the stars, and that if they work hard enough they can accomplish anything.

This year the Rutgers women's basketball team defied the odds and lived up to their dreams, providing inspiration to every little boy and girl beginning to pick up a ball or open a book. These remarkable young women reached the pinnacle of success and won the hearts of basketball fans everywhere with their grace, skill, and poise. They are role models deserving our praise -- and our support.

Don Imus's comments about them were nothing more than small-minded bigotry and coarse sexism. They showed a disregard for basic decency and were disrespectful and degrading to African Americans and women everywhere.

Please join me in sending the young women of Rutgers a message of respect and support. Show them that we are proud to stand with them and for them."

Hillary