Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jadedsue

Steamed Crabs

29 posts in this topic

I kind of like Captain James. Not the world's best crabs but always very good, and I really like the location (as long as there isn't a recent fish kill that makes the harbor smell like rotting tuna salad.)

Take a walk on the wild side Sue! Go to the River Shack in Charlestown! A quiet, informal little place that even has a beach you can eat your crabs at.

where is Charlestown?

Charlestown is located in Cecil County across the Northeast River from Northeast, Md. It is 7 miles from HDG. If you decide to go there, let me know and I will give you directions. The River Shack is closed on Tue. & Wed.

# Take I-95 to Perryville, Maryland

# Exit 93 (Perryville/Port Deposit) go toward Perryville to Route 40 turn left onto Route 40

# Go through 3 lights

# Turn right onto Route 7 (East); (You will see a road for Route 7 (West) about half a mile before Route 7 (East) -- Do not take Route 7 West!).

# Go 1 1/4 mile on Route 7 turn right onto Route 267.

# At the firehouse in Charlestown, Route 267 veers left; stay straight (onto Market Street).

# Proceed 2 blocks to the river, and turn left. The Wellwood is on the left.

# The River Shack is immediately behind the Wellwood

It's been a long time since I've been there, but Shultz's crab house in Essex used to be a favorite. Also went to Bill's Terrace Inn not long ago, excellent crabs. Though neither place is remotely upscale. ;) But how upscale do you really need to eat steamed crabs?

Never had the crabs there, but Dock of the Bay is a nice setting to eat outside on a pleasant evening...

Try Jimmy's in Dundalk. The boys are doing a great job of running it since he passed. For good value and a view try Harris's just across the Bay Bridge. All their food and service is great.

harris's x 2.

nice place! i'ev had crabs there a couple of times and they have been good...none yet this year though...

We just moved to Queenstown. Anyone have any suggestions for crabs around here?

Harris' is a nightmare! I've always done well at the Crab Deck @ Kent Narrows. Hillside Steak & Crab House in Centreville may be a bit closer, but doesn't have the water side dining the Crab Deck offers...

You just can't get a good steamed crab meal in this town.
What about the place on Frederick Rd in Catonsville? I forget the name of the place, but I got some crabs there a couple of years ago and they were great.

What about the place on Frederick Rd in Catonsville? I forget the name of the place, but I got some crabs there a couple of years ago and they were great.

You're referring to Ship's Cafe, and yes, they have good crabs. (I was joking in my earlier post.) The problem with Ship's Cafe is that, other than the steamed crabs, everything else is cooked in the deep fryer. Catonsville Gourmet across the street is much better.

By way of qualification I lived in and around Baltimore for over 45 years and have cracked the shells in many a back yard, bar and crab house. I don't give a damn if I can see the water, if the waitstaff smiles or if I have to drive several miles to get there. I want consistency, year round availability, a fair price and cold beer. When I find a place that meets those standards then and only then will I recommend it to friends. Having said that I give my #1 vote to "Bill's Terrace Inn" in Essex. Twice a year when I return to Baltimore (have to keep that accent) I always stop at Bills.

I retired several years ago and live along the Taxas Gulf Coast. Crabs here are plentiful and available year round. I usually get 25lb of seasoning shipped direct from J.O. Spice Company near Arbutus every year. Luckily, there are several fresh seafood wholesale dealers within a 15 minute drive that have blue crabs delivered directly from the boats twice daily. They are sold by the pound and they let customers choose their crabs directly from 100lb wooden holding crates with tongs. You put your crabs in a reinforced bag, the counterman weighs it then fills another bag with ice to keep them chilled for your trip home to the steamer. The price last week was $2.25 lb.

Now if only I could find a place that has sluffing trays for fresh soft crabs......

OK, i need to take my daughter and bf out for their BDays. I was thinking Canton Dockside. Any other better crab joints in BMO?

Try Cravin' Crabs located at 4609 Annapolis Road; Baltimore, MD 21227; 410-636-2722. They have been voted as having the BEST carry-out steamed crabs in Baltimore by the Maryland Life Magazine for past two years!