Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gocaps

AACO Football

1,225 posts in this topic

Congrats to Damian Ferragamo and the whole OM team they really battled. Josh Furman is something else. A bif thanks to Neutral Observer of MdHigh with the updates. Next Friday Old Mill vs Wise I'll be there.

In this century, only PG and MoCo teams have won @4A. In fact, you have to go all the way back to 1994 to find another non-PG-MoCo team to win @4A, and that was AACo's North County.

Go Old Mill. Make history, and bring it home! :D

Congrats to OM! I was in AA Co tonight and read an article in the capital about how sherwood watered their field all week to dampen it and slow Furman down. He's on turf this week, should be fun.

Congrats to OM! I was in AA Co tonight and read an article in the capital about how sherwood watered their field all week to dampen it and slow Furman down. He's on turf this week, should be fun.

Do folks really buy into such nonsense? Is the capital an AACo source? If so, then do you really buy into this type of stuff. It rained all week long. There would have been no need whatsoever to have purposely watered down a field in this area to slow down a speedy team. Such silly would also make planting to tackle the Furmans of the world much more difficult since he knows first where he is going. Come on people.

Do folks really buy into such nonsense? Is the capital an AACo source? If so, then do you really buy into this type of stuff. It rained all week long. There would have been no need whatsoever to have purposely watered down a field in this area to slow down a speedy team. Such silly would also make planting to tackle the Furmans of the world much more difficult since he knows first where he is going. Come on people.

ALso, it would be nice if the sun had even sent anyone to the game to cover it. The article in todays paper is written by someone from the Washington Post.

If a two loss team from AA wins a title, that would be quite the statement for how good the league is. It is too bad we don't have any legit 3A teams that could also make some noise.

If a two loss team from AA wins a title, that would be quite the statement for how good the league is. It is too bad we don't have any legit 3A teams that could also make some noise.

Or how weak the 4a is this year!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Old Mill's Josh Furman the POY?

This question was originally posted on (Football: Preview for Class 4A and 3A Finals by hsreporter)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This question was originally posted on (Football: Preview for Class 4A and 3A Finals by hsreporter)

It all depends on what he can do against Wise.

There are so many other players in the mix that are deserving of the POY like Zwinak, Coker, Jennings, Young from GC, etc. but a good performance against Wise's D will separate him from the rest if Old Mill wins IMO...

It all depends on what he can do against Wise.

There are so many other players in the mix that are deserving of the POY like Zwinak, Coker, Jennings, Young from GC, etc. but a good performance against Wise's D will separate him from the rest if Old Mill wins IMO...

Speed

I saw Furman up close and personal and the kid is cut rock solid. If I didn't know any better, I would swear he worked out under mister strength and conditioning himself Joe Haden Sr, father of Florida's Joe Haden jr and Boston College Josh Haden. Joe Sr trained the three River Hill amigos Campanaro, Redd, and Eaddy.

Speed

I saw Furman up close and personal and the kid is cut rock solid. If I didn't know any better, I would swear he worked out under mister strength and conditioning himself Joe Haden Sr, father of Florida's Joe Haden jr and Boston College Josh Haden. Joe Sr trained the three River Hill amigos Campanaro, Redd, and Eaddy.

How do you think Old Mill matches up with Wise? Can Wise contain Furman on that field at M&T? It will be a much different field than Wise is used to that is for sure...

If not, he should be.

How do you think Old Mill matches up with Wise? Can Wise contain Furman on that field at M&T? It will be a much different field than Wise is used to that is for sure...

I'm a PG homie so it would be very difficult for me to say anyone can take a PG team. I wouldn't even want to give aid and comfort to the enemy before the championship game in revealing anything about Wise. But if I could have an outter body experience and objectively assess the match up, I would say Wise's D will have to play the game of the season to contain Furman AND his partner in crime in the backfield. OM runs Furman and runs Furman and runs Furman some more. Wise needs to stick Furman each and every time he carries the ball to help empty his tank for later in the game. Wise can further deplete Furman by going after him when he is on D. But understand that Furman in my opinion is not the only OM player to contain. They need to take care of both backs and account for the QB.

On the offense side, watching Wise is like watching paint dry. It is a base no thrills package that is just effective for them to win. Wise's QB, as most PG QBs, is just a running back who take the snaps. He is a thick short fullback looking fellow. Wise will run left, run right, run up the middle, and may be content to not pass on a single down. Smash mouth football is what immediately comes to mind.

I would like to see the Old Mill vs Arundel game to just how they scored so much since they weren't that productive against Sherwood.

I'm a PG homie so it would be very difficult for me to say anyone can take a PG team. I wouldn't even want to give aid and comfort to the enemy before the championship game in revealing anything about Wise. But if I could have an outter body experience and objectively assess the match up, I would say Wise's D will have to play the game of the season to contain Furman AND his partner in crime in the backfield. OM runs Furman and runs Furman and runs Furman some more. Wise needs to stick Furman each and every time he carries the ball to help empty his tank for later in the game. Wise can further deplete Furman by going after him when he is on D. But understand that Furman in my opinion is not the only OM player to contain. They need to take care of both backs and account for the QB.

On the offense side, watching Wise is like watching paint dry. It is a base no thrills package that is just effective for them to win. Wise's QB, as most PG QBs, is just a running back who take the snaps. He is a thick short fullback looking fellow. Wise will run left, run right, run up the middle, and may be content to not pass on a single down. Smash mouth football is what immediately comes to mind.

I would like to see the Old Mill vs Arundel game to just how they scored so much since they weren't that productive against Sherwood.

Thanks, Trip. I know all about Wise and have seen them a couple times this year so I know they don't play pretty. I just wanted to know exactly how good Furman is. I read this article about how the OM coach likes to "feed the beast" but I knew OM has another good running back that seemingly doesnt get as much attention. It should be a great game on Friday...

Thanks, Trip. I know all about Wise and have seen them a couple times this year so I know they don't play pretty. I just wanted to know exactly how good Furman is. I read this article about how the OM coach likes to "feed the beast" but I knew OM has another good running back that seemingly doesnt get as much attention. It should be a great game on Friday...

In the Sherwood game, they certainly fed him the ball a lot. I mean a lot.

The difference is probably the artificial turf. Furman is deadly on the stuff. Both Arundel and Broadneck have very good run defenses, but both games were on field turf and were shoot-outs. It is inevitable that he will break a few 60 yard runs per game on that surface.

Everyone knows where the threat is coming from, which makes his performance all the more impressive. Clements, their other running back, was their top guy a few years ago, but has unselfishly assumed his role with Furman's ascendance. That makes him pretty dangerous, too, as they reward him with scoring opportunities when you're expecting Furman to get the ball. Thorton, their QB, is not very accurate, and would probably have problems with Wise's secondary, but he's got good feet and mobility, so can give them first downs when you're looking for the other two.

I always felt that Wise's DB's would have matched up well against Arundel and predicted a win for Wise if they met. After watching some of the highlight tape from the Wise/TJ game I was a little underwhelmed about their chances against OM. If Wise is planning to grind it out, and doesn't have a real passing QB to respond with quick hits, I think the game goes to OM.

I thought Sherwood did a good job of limiting Furman. He got away for a long TD run but for the most part, he was stopped for little gains and often caught in the backfield. The box stats may show something different but Sherwood had to have been pleased with what they did on Furman. Sherwood just lost because of a couple big plays. OM was on the losing track entering the last minutes of the game.

Congrats OM football you have been good for years but never had someone to lead to the next step. I think you found him in Coach Ferragamo. The good just gets better.

See you in B-more GO PATS!

I grew up in AA county and now lve in PG. I have to go with Wise. I think Wise can contain Furman. Wise will gang tackle and will have speed to burn to corral Furman.

I know it has been a while ago, but Annapolis was able to keep Furman in check. Wise has Athletes like AN that can run. Wise D line will be a problem for OM. I say Clements will be the beast in this game. So much attention is put on Furman that Clements will hurt Wise.

Wise on O is a different story. OM is going to stop them. OM can play D. Wise with its no suprise offense needs to come with a trip play for the day (ala Nick in big games).

Ths will be a good game to watch, but not much stats. IT s going to be some HEAD BANGING in this one. Wise by 1 in 2OT.

I grew up in AA county and now lve in PG. I have to go with Wise. I think Wise can contain Furman. Wise will gang tackle and will have speed to burn to corral Furman.

I know it has been a while ago, but Annapolis was able to keep Furman in check. Wise has Athletes like AN that can run. Wise D line will be a problem for OM. I say Clements will be the beast in this game. So much attention is put on Furman that Clements will hurt Wise.

Wise on O is a different story. OM is going to stop them. OM can play D. Wise with its no suprise offense needs to come with a trip play for the day (ala Nick in big games).

Ths will be a good game to watch, but not much stats. IT s going to be some HEAD BANGING in this one. Wise by 1 in 2OT.

There is only one thing that I have to say. Wise's field is grass and has been in horrible shape so they arent used to playing on turf like Furman has been. He got slowed down a bit at Sherwood but that wont happen on Friday. He is going to burn Wise because you dont know his speed until he is blowing by you. Plus you have Clements to worry about and that wont be easy for Wise to stop both of them. I think this might be the year that AACO finally brings the title home. Broadneck and Arundel tried and failed but Old Mill does it on Friday by 10pts.

Congrats OM football you have been good for years but never had someone to lead to the next step. I think you found him in Coach Ferragamo. The good just gets better.

See you in B-more GO PATS!

Coach F wasn't found cause he was never lost. He was just learning his trade for what he's doing now while he cut his teeth at DuVal-PG. :)

There is only one thing that I have to say. Wise's field is grass and has been in horrible shape so they arent used to playing on turf like Furman has been. He got slowed down a bit at Sherwood but that wont happen on Friday. He is going to burn Wise because you dont know his speed until he is blowing by you. Plus you have Clements to worry about and that wont be easy for Wise to stop both of them. I think this might be the year that AACO finally brings the title home. Broadneck and Arundel tried and failed but Old Mill does it on Friday by 10pts.

Some good points here....MAYBE.

Yes we assume that Wise will need to stop Furman and Clements and you say that Wise can't stop both but that sounds like OM will be playing with two footballs at once. That is not allowed. So since only one can carry the one ball at a time then it's a matter of stopping the person with the ball which seems to me what Wise does best.

I've seen Furman's play and he is a very explosive back but I think he shifts it into 2nd gear once he determines which hole he wants to try. Before that, he seems to tip toe looking for his opportunity and that is where to me he is more vulnerable to be stopped or limited.

But what the heck does ole Trip know.... :P

Some good points here....MAYBE.

Yes we assume that Wise will need to stop Furman and Clements and you say that Wise can't stop both but that sounds like OM will be playing with two footballs at once. That is not allowed. So since only one can carry the one ball at a time then it's a matter of stopping the person with the ball which seems to me what Wise does best.

I've seen Furman's play and he is a very explosive back but I think he shifts it into 2nd gear once he determines which hole he wants to try. Before that, he seems to tip toe looking for his opportunity and that is where to me he is more vulnerable to be stopped or limited.

But what the heck does ole Trip know.... :P

That is an excellent point Trip. Although Furman right now may is by far the most explosive player this county has seen since Ryan Callahan was at Old Mill, and Rayvon Johnson was at Annapolis; He does have a tendency to tip toe until he finds a hole which will allow a fast defense like Wise who also is very good at Gang Tackling to potentially corral him before he can put it in 5th gear. But if he is able to find that hole or bounce it outside and hit 5th gear, it's going to be a long night for Wise because I don't think they have anybody thats catching once he gets going. If that happens then Old Mill will finish the job that Annapolis, Arundel, and Broadneck was unable to do for the county this decade and win the big game and bring the championship home.

Combined poll that includes Massey, MaxPreps, MdHigh.com, MDVarsity and CoachesAid

1 Good Counsel 122

2 Linganore 121

3 DeMatha 117

4 Old Mill 108

5 Arundel 103

6 Huntingtown 91

7 Wise 86

8 Gilman 84

9 River Hill 79

10 Quince Orchard 74

11 McDonogh 72

12 Catoctin 58

13 Eastern Tech 55

14 Bishop McNamara 54

15 Flowers 36

16 Suitland 35

16 Georgetown Prep 35

18 Fort Hill 29

19 Sherwood 28

20 Annapolis 26

21 Gwynn Park 23

21 Broadneck 23

23 Hereford 18

24 Damascus 17

25 Queen Anne's 14

Others receiving votes in at least one of the polls:

Calvert Hall 10

Spalding 8

Douglass 7

Landon 6

Johnson 4

Joppatowne 3

Loyola 3

North Point 2

McDonough 2

Dunbar 1

Just wanted to say congratulations to AACO football for a great season. Old Mill - as much as hurts having you beat us in one of the greatest games I've ever seen, thank you for bringing home the title and making AACO look good! Annapolis and Broadneck - finishing in the statewide Top 25 says a lot about your programs and kids. Shout out to Spalding too for their MIAA B Title winning season. All these teams combined to make an AACO statement that we can play football too :)

Congrats to all the seniors and best of luck in future endeavors! Juniors - you have a high standard to work toward next season - keep it up!

At least you guys know how to win, or lose with class. More than i can say for some teams.