Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

How long does it take to grow a ZZ Top type beard??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Aga

Aga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,034 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:19 AM

Does it take a few years, or are we looking at just a few months?

I think it is interesting how the facial hair is regarded in such cultures as the Moslems and Jewish sects.

I wonder if there is a "formal" premise for Americans that let their beards grow out and beyond...

Yea, I saw the Oakridge Boys performing this morning, made me curious. ;)

“Any man can hold her hand, only the elite can hold her feet" - Sole Man

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I Dream of Peace" - LeRoy Bell

"This machine surrounds hate and causes it to surrender" - Pete Seeger

#2 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,722 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:30 AM

Having had a trimmed beard for over 25 years, I would have to say that at a standard growth rate, it would take well over a year to get a beard that long.

And I bet it itches like a mofo!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"This little piggie should have stayed home

#3 George-WNEC

George-WNEC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

Having had a trimmed beard for over 25 years, I would have to say that at a standard growth rate, it would take well over a year to get a beard that long.

And I bet it itches like a mofo!

Having attempted, twice, well over five years. It all depends on the person though, some grow facial hair quickly.

Mine grows fast up to a point, then seems to stop... Have had it down to just touching my chest, that was 1.5 years and not near as full as those in ZZ Top.
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

2 Timothy 4:3-4

"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."

GOD said Hello today, Did you Hear HIM!? :)

#4 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,722 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:03 AM

Having attempted, twice, well over five years. It all depends on the person though, some grow facial hair quickly.

Mine grows fast up to a point, then seems to stop... Have had it down to just touching my chest, that was 1.5 years and not near as full as those in ZZ Top.

That was my take. It grows fast until it's about an inch or so long, then it slows up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"This little piggie should have stayed home

#5 MrRational

MrRational

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

I seem to recall that 1/2" per month is typical or average.
Do the math.
"The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by those who have not got it." --GB Shaw
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. (Joseph Joubert)
"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on." --Winston Churchill

#6 George-WNEC

George-WNEC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:12 AM

That was my take. It grows fast until it's about an inch or so long, then it slows up.

I tink I remeber an interview with Billy Gibons where he said it took seven years to get to the point he currently has... That is dedication, when mine was long, it was a pain always trimming here & there to keep the shape... Even now it is 7/8" or so, every day I am snipping here or there....
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."

#7 George-WNEC

George-WNEC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:19 AM

FYI- this sounds like a rockin CD, anyone have it?

A comprehensive four-CD collection of recordings from the London and Warner Bros. years, Chrome, Smoke & BBQ, was released in 2003. It featured the band's first single (A- and B-side), several rare B-side tracks as well as a radio promotion from 1979, a live track and several extended dance mix versions of their biggest MTV hits. Three tracks from Billy Gibbons' pre-ZZ band, The Moving Sidewalks, were also included.

#8 Gentile

Gentile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,624 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:25 AM

I grew mine out for two weeks while on vacation in Hawaii awhile back. Coming back with that crappy beard, I was deported to Mexico as soon as I hit stateside...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Our president hates beets, and I'm bummed" ~ PaintLady

#9 Aleph

Aleph

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

I can grow one out in about a month...oh...you mean facial hair...nevermind. :D

#10 Aga

Aga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,034 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

FYI- this sounds like a rockin CD, anyone have it?

I'll have to check it out George~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 Aga

Aga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,034 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

I tink I remeber an interview with Billy Gibons where he said it took seven years to get to the point he currently has... That is dedication, when mine was long, it was a pain always trimming here & there to keep the shape... Even now it is 7/8" or so, every day I am snipping here or there....

I can imagine it is an attention hog... primping here, preening there...

God forbid it should ever get in the way of the coveted "horizontal tango" when one wants to just past the time of day... or evening.

Aleph, you're nawtee... :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 alien bird

alien bird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

I find it interesting that Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill both have those beards, but Frank Beard doesn't.