Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HolyCow

How Many Baseballs Used During An Average MLB Game?

17 posts in this topic

I believe that they need 90 baseballs to start a game. I don't know how many they use.

I believe the answer is 7!!!

or that might be the average number of runs we give up!

How many silly threads are started on the forum each day?

I have no idea what the answer is but I'll guess is that on typically 2-3 baseballs are used per each half inning. That would be 4-6 per inning and 36-54 per nine innings. Splitting the difference would be 45.

So that's my guess

Let's see...

A new ball per every 1/2 inning to start it = 18

Average 1 lost ball per batter put out = 54

Add some extras for more batters coming to the plate = 30

That's 102 and I think that is a conservative start.

So I'll go with 150.

Let's see...

So I'll go with 150.

Ohhhh!!! I thought it was for a double-header. :)

Here's the story. Tony DeMarco answered the question last week on his MSNBC sports page. He said estimates run 10-12 dozen per game. Sounds right when you look at balls hit for HRs and fouls into the stands.

Q: On average, how many baseballs are used during a regulation game? I see a lot of them thrown to the fans after only one or two pitches?

— Debbie Harris, Tampa, Fla.

A: Unusual given the game’s fascination with statistics, but no exact counts are done when it comes to baseballs used per game. But guesstimates run at about 10-12 dozen per game.

I’ve written once before about how umpires have gone too far when it comes to removing any ball that barely even grazes the ground — even when hitters don’t request the ball to be removed.

That certainly increases the number of baseball used per game, as does the practice of players throwing balls into the stands after the third outs of every half inning — a goodwill gesture started upon the resumption of play after the 1994 strike, when the game needed an image boost.

All I know is, I’d hate to be the clubhouse boy who has to rub up each and every baseball prior to each game with the special mud treatment that removes some of the slickness. That would be quite a task every day.

Let's see...

So I'll go with 150.

Here's the story. Tony DeMarco answered the question last week on his MSNBC sports page. He said estimates run 10-12 dozen per game. Sounds right when you look at balls hit for HRs and fouls into the stands.

Q: On average, how many baseballs are used during a regulation game? I see a lot of them thrown to the fans after only one or two pitches?

— Debbie Harris, Tampa, Fla.

A: Unusual given the game’s fascination with statistics, but no exact counts are done when it comes to baseballs used per game. But guesstimates run at about 10-12 dozen per game.

I’ve written once before about how umpires have gone too far when it comes to removing any ball that barely even grazes the ground — even when hitters don’t request the ball to be removed.

That certainly increases the number of baseball used per game, as does the practice of players throwing balls into the stands after the third outs of every half inning — a goodwill gesture started upon the resumption of play after the 1994 strike, when the game needed an image boost.

All I know is, I’d hate to be the clubhouse boy who has to rub up each and every baseball prior to each game with the special mud treatment that removes some of the slickness. That would be quite a task every day.

I'm going with Holy Cow's answer because it's about what I guessed in the first place! :)

I am guessing there are about 180 pitches per team in a game (20 by each team in each inning).

So, that would make 360 pitches in a game. Therefore, I guess 4315 balls are used per game.

I'm going with Holy Cow's answer because it's about what I guessed in the first place! :)

You win. As DeMarco wrote, it's only a guesstimate.

Adding to the count is the fact that almost every foul ball fielded by a ball girl/ball boy is handed over to a fan. 3rd and 1st base coaches typically toss foul balls into the stands as well.

Let's see...

So I'll go with 150.

how bout when Jeremy Guthrie is pitching?