Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aped

A profile in "Whitopias".

145 posts in this topic

To each their own I guess.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1929729,00.html

Traveling some 27,000 miles, African-American journalist Rich Benjamin roamed the United States from 2007 to 2009 exploring a major demographic shift that's attracting remarkably little attention — the flight of white residents from cities and integrated suburbs into cloistered, racially homogeneous enclaves. Tidy communities such as St. George, Utah and Coeur d'Alene, Idaho — places Benjamin calls Whitopias — have grown at triple the rate of America's cities in recent years, raising troubling questions about the country's multiracial cohesion. The Stanford literature PhD chronicled his adventure in a new book, Searching for Whitopia: An Improbable Journey to the Heart of White America, and spoke with TIME about what he found.

(Read: "Resisting School Integration in Savannah"

You, a black man, sat in on a white separatist retreat. How did that go over?

They were curious and shocked they had found a black man on their premises. A lot of the members of the church took pains to explain to me the difference between white supremacy and white separatism. They said, "We don't think we're better than you, we just want to be separate from you.")

I can understand anyone wanting to leave the congestion and crime of big cites behind, but to actually seek out your new home based on race seems a bit weird.

And yet from time to time we read about blacks wanting to live in well-to-do but virtually all-black suburbs. There are probably as many reasons people move to Couer d'Alene as there are people who move to Couer d'Alene.

I bet crime and taxes are lots lower in these "whitopias." Fewer criminals and mooches I'm sure.

I bet crime and taxes are lots lower in these "whitopias." Fewer criminals and mooches I'm sure.

Schools. Don't forget schools. Safer and the kids are more likely to learn something more useful than how many grams of white powder make an eight ball...

And yet from time to time we read about blacks wanting to live in well-to-do but virtually all-black suburbs. There are probably as many reasons people move to Couer d'Alene as there are people who move to Couer d'Alene.

Atlanta comes to mind as one. But whatever. I think people should live where the wish without people trying to dissect their reasons.

I spent a week in Couer d'Alene. It's beautiful. It's clean. There are fewer people -- of any race -- it's pace is slower. It's the polar opposite of urban living. I can see why people would choose to live there.

What leads you to that conclusion?

Atlanta comes to mind as one. But whatever. I think people should live where the wish without people trying to dissect their reasons.

They made their reasons very clear read the article then again I am not surprised you would support this kkk retreat.

They made their reasons very clear read the article then again I am not surprised you would support this kkk retreat.

:rolleyes: I support people living where they wish. I don't support people using the KKK argument based on people living where they wish to live.

Pointless thread. Every race has a few people like this. The only thing I see here is aped trying to start a race war.

Aped--

Whoa. You are making it sound like the entire population of Idaho is made up KKK types. Did you read the article?

What surprised you about the communities you spent time in?

I was caught off-guard by the level of hostility to immigration reform in many of these communities and by how concerned many are by taxes — they believe taxes are too high. But I was also caught off-guard by how pleasant an experience it turned out to be, the personable warmth that greeted me in many cases.

I don't think the article really captured the gist the researcher was going for. There are podcasts that go into a lot more depth.

Very clearly, these are not "KKK retreats" but I do think they are a disturbing development. Certainly there's some folks who identify as racist and choose to live there, but the vast majority of people anywhere do not identify as racist. These types of communities are popping up WITHOUT any blatant racial planning.

I see these places as a refinement of the mcmansion communities that naturally and without obvious intent self-select an extremely narrow band of class, income, and cultural identity. As the author says, these are extremely pleasant places but they do not represent reality. They are a distortion of reality that will lead the inhabitants to insulate themselves from understanding others. That kind of insular lifestyle will lead to balkanization.

I don't think the article really captured the gist the researcher was going for. There are podcasts that go into a lot more depth.

Very clearly, these are not "KKK retreats" but I do think they are a disturbing development. Certainly there's some folks who identify as racist and choose to live there, but the vast majority of people anywhere do not identify as racist. These types of communities are popping up WITHOUT any blatant racial planning.

I see these places as a refinement of the mcmansion communities that naturally and without obvious intent self-select an extremely narrow band of class, income, and cultural identity. As the author says, these are extremely pleasant places but they do not represent reality. They are a distortion of reality that will lead the inhabitants to insulate themselves from understanding others. That kind of insular lifestyle will lead to balkanization.

When you have certain ethnic groups voting in lockstep to the tune of 98%, they have already balkanized themselves.

What leads you to that conclusion?

It's probably racist for me to point out that blacks commit a disportionate amount of the total crime in this country. It's also a racist observation that most urban areas are occupied by blacks.

And damnit, while I'm on a streak, it's a fair assumption to note that there's far more crime in any one night on Pennsylvania Avenue in Baltimore than there is in 100 years on Pennsylvania Avenue in Bel Air.

Sorry if the patently obvious is a racist plot or something.

When you have certain ethnic groups voting in lockstep to the tune of 98%, they have already balkanized themselves.

Excellent point.

It's probably racist for me to point out that blacks commit a disportionate amount of the total crime in this country. It's also a racist observation that most urban areas are occupied by blacks.

And damnit, while I'm on a streak, it's a fair assumption to note that there's far more crime in any one night on Pennsylvania Avenue in Baltimore than there is in 100 years on Pennsylvania Avenue in Bel Air.

Sorry if the patently obvious is a racist plot or something.

How dare you just speak to the facts. You know that's racist. You should have lied or just ignored the facts.

Very well. I give you that point.

But is that a good thing for any community?

Let's make laws against it.

Very well. I give you that point.

But is that a good thing for any community?

Can't say it looks like it's been a good thing for a large segment of the black community.

aped. It's this type of BS rhetoric that renders decent threads to comic racist crap. Congratulations. You want to read about a not so new KKK-ish organization? ... Here you go.

aped. It's this type of BS rhetoric that renders decent threads to comic racist crap. Congratulations. You want to read about a not so new KKK-ish organization? ... Here you go.

But that's different! :rolleyes: