Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Costco to Join BJ's, Sam's Club, Walmart, etc. Accepting Food Stamps

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#1 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,434 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:27 AM

So, if you're that poor you can't afford groceries, how can you afford to pay the $50.00 annual membership fee? Or do you pool your money with 49 other people and shop together? According to the article, 36 MILLION Americans are receiving food stamps. I think 30 MILLION of them live right here in MD if the local gorcery stores are any indicator. Which brings up an interesting question, how can you afford a Lexus if you're receiving food stamps?

http://www.baltimore...0,5001916.story

#2 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:31 AM

Where are you shopping? I haven't noticed large numbers of people using food stamps when I go grocery shopping. Or perhaps I'm too focused on my own tranaction to worry about how other people are paying for their purchases.

#3 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:31 AM

You're forgetting that many of the recent additions to the food stamp rolls were previously middle class people who have now fallen on hard times. They probably paid their membership fees BEFORE they ever thought they'd need food stamps.
There once was a girl with a curl in the middle of her forehead. When she was good, she was very good; but when she was bad, she was horrid!

#4 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,900 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

Either way, I think you can more than make up the $45.00 ( BJ's is 45 for me anyway) in savings over a year, easy. IMHO, it is cost-efective, so you would not want food stamp recipients to use their benefits in the most economical way? I would give them kudos for smart shopping.

As for the businessess, why would they not want to avail themselves of an added customer base?

I'm not on FS, but my family uses a gallon plus of apple juice every day- at BJ's I essentially get it for half the supermarket price-- $3.89 for 2 gallons, so I make up my membership fee in that alone in roughly one month.

#5 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,434 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:01 AM

Where are you shopping? I haven't noticed large numbers of people using food stamps when I go grocery shopping. Or perhaps I'm too focused on my own tranaction to worry about how other people are paying for their purchases.

You have obviously never shopped at the Super Fresh in Woodlawn. And if you are that focused on "your own transaction", you better wake up and pay attention to everything going on around you or you'll find yourself a statistic. But, nice try at diversion anyway.

#6 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,434 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

You're forgetting that many of the recent additions to the food stamp rolls were previously middle class people who have now fallen on hard times. They probably paid their membership fees BEFORE they ever thought they'd need food stamps.

Good point and I agree, but, one cannot ignore the many "food stamp abusers" out there.

#7 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

Good point and I agree, but, one cannot ignore the many "food stamp abusers" out there.

You won't find me defending fraud. Nor will you find me defending the notion of cash assistance. Cash assistance should come after you've proven you're able to handle cash responsibly by middle class standards (i.e. you pay your necessities (food, shelter, etc.) first, then for extras if you have money left.)
There once was a girl with a curl in the middle of her forehead. When she was good, she was very good; but when she was bad, she was horrid!

#8 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:12 AM

You have obviously never shopped at the Super Fresh in Woodlawn. And if you are that focused on "your own transaction", you better wake up and pay attention to everything going on around you or you'll find yourself a statistic. But, nice try at diversion anyway.

I have shopped at the SuperFresh in Woodlawn, but I prefer Ellicott City or Timonium. They have better selections. What type of statistic would I become in a grocery store? Growing up in the city & having a military spouse has taught me to be aware of my surroundings. There really is a defference in being aware of what is happening and being focused on someone else's personal business. Based on your postings, I think you have an unhealthy focus on the negative.

#9 sonofboh

sonofboh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,786 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

i enjoy sneaking into costco to eat a bunch of free samples before buying the $1.50 soda and hot dog deal
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

when asked by Crowley to speak with him outside the residence, Gates replied, "ya, I'll speak with your mama outside."

#10 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,434 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

I have shopped at the SuperFresh in Woodlawn, but I prefer Ellicott City or Timonium. They have better selections. What type of statistic would I become in a grocery store? Growing up in the city & having a military spouse has taught me to be aware of my surroundings. There really is a defference in being aware of what is happening and being focused on someone else's personal business. Based on your postings, I think you have an unhealthy focus on the negative.

I am ex-military. I was trained to be aware of EVERYTHING going on around me. And I never said I "focused on someone else's personal business." How can you not notice someone if front of you at the checkout line at a grocery store, especially when it's an EXPRESS line and the person in front of you is using food stamps to purchase steaks, crab meat, everything but the essentials all the while taking forever? But thanks for your criticism. :rolleyes:

But hey, that's Ok, come down on me for being observant and not the ones abusing the system. Soooo typical.

#11 golgo

golgo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,675 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:28 AM

I am ex-military. I was trained to be aware of EVERYTHING going on around me. And I never said I "focused on someone else's personal business." How can you not notice someone if front of you at the checkout line at a grocery store, especially when it's an EXPRESS line and the person in front of you is using food stamps to purchase steaks, crab meat, everything but the essentials all the while taking forever? But thanks for your criticism. :rolleyes:

But hey, that's Ok, come down on me for being observant and not the ones abusing the system. Soooo typical.

You seem to have completely glossed over the post that squashes your argument:

Either way, I think you can more than make up the $45.00 ( BJ's is 45 for me anyway) in savings over a year, easy. IMHO, it is cost-efective, so you would not want food stamp recipients to use their benefits in the most economical way? I would give them kudos for smart shopping.

As for the businessess, why would they not want to avail themselves of an added customer base?

I'm not on FS, but my family uses a gallon plus of apple juice every day- at BJ's I essentially get it for half the supermarket price-- $3.89 for 2 gallons, so I make up my membership fee in that alone in roughly one month.

"Meditation is terrific and all, but I've never heard of it saving anyone from a gang rape type situation."

"Lance Stephenson is like a supermodel with herpes"

#12 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,434 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

You seem to have completely glossed over the post that squashes your argument:

No I didn't, I was responding to some foolish criticism.

#13 mgofbmore

mgofbmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

That's not being observant. That is being nosey as hell. To the point you can know what they are purchasing. Since it is none of my business what other people buy at the market, I generally don't pay attention to thers' purchases
Playing The Blame Game Never Solves A Thing.

#14 CityLife08

CityLife08

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

I personally think that it is a good idea. And if someone on food stamps wants to pay the $45 membership fee then at least it is going to something smart and cost effective. If there is a family of 4 the basic neccisities get costly at a local grocery store. If they can get more product(at Costoco) for the same price they were paying for less product at the grocery store then that means they are thinking smart.

I think that i'd rather see $45 go to that membership then to the salon for that stylish hair doo, mani/pedi, or a new outfit for friday night.

#15 unclesharkey

unclesharkey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

So, if you're that poor you can't afford groceries, how can you afford to pay the $50.00 annual membership fee? Or do you pool your money with 49 other people and shop together? According to the article, 36 MILLION Americans are receiving food stamps. I think 30 MILLION of them live right here in MD if the local gorcery stores are any indicator. Which brings up an interesting question, how can you afford a Lexus if you're receiving food stamps?

http://www.baltimore...0,5001916.story

Food stamps is federal dollars that go right back into the economy.

The value in food stamps is based on the "household" income after specific deductions such as child care and shelter expenses, up to a maximum amount. Household size Maximum Monthly Food Stamp Allotment
1 $176
2 $323
3 $463
4 $588
5 $698
6 $838
7 $926
8 $1,058
Each additional person +$132

#16 sonofboh

sonofboh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,786 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

That's not being observant. That is being nosey as hell. To the point you can know what they are purchasing. Since it is none of my business what other people buy at the market, I generally don't pay attention to thers' purchases

its not being nosey at all, he's merely keeping an eye on what the gubmint takes from his paycheck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

when asked by Crowley to speak with him outside the residence, Gates replied, "ya, I'll speak with your mama outside."

#17 Guest_crabsnbeer_*

Guest_crabsnbeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:16 AM

You can buy BJ's with foodstamps?

#18 QQng

QQng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

I personally think that it is a good idea. And if someone on food stamps wants to pay the $45 membership fee then at least it is going to something smart and cost effective. If there is a family of 4 the basic neccisities get costly at a local grocery store. If they can get more product(at Costoco) for the same price they were paying for less product at the grocery store then that means they are thinking smart.

I think that i'd rather see $45 go to that membership then to the salon for that stylish hair doo, mani/pedi, or a new outfit for friday night.

I have a feeling the state will pay for their membership too. I would bet that Cosco would forfeit the membership to get the monies!! Business....

#19 QQng

QQng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

Food stamps is federal dollars that go right back into the economy.

The value in food stamps is based on the "household" income after specific deductions such as child care and shelter expenses, up to a maximum amount. Household size Maximum Monthly Food Stamp Allotment
1 $176
2 $323
3 $463
4 $588
5 $698
6 $838
7 $926
8 $1,058
Each additional person +$132

Yes, the money goes back into economy, just not used the way the system was meant for it to help. I wouldn't mind getting that extra money, along with housing, transportation, medical, utility assistant, cell phone, furnace....on and on.....

#20 QQng

QQng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:40 AM

I'm sure with food stamps, free membership, all the octomoms will be sitting their arses at the tables feeding those babies @ Coscos, BJ's, Sam's everyday! That will free up more money to git hair dids, nails, teeth caps,,phone cards, etc. They know how to "buck-the-system"!!