Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Football Power Rankings: Week 12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 hsreporter

hsreporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

http://www.coachesai...ankings-Week-12

#2 hsreporter

hsreporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:09 AM

Congrats to Old Mill and Patterson.....

#3 Oldtime

Oldtime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

These rankings just lost all credibility when they dropped Damascus at #8 in
3a when they lost to #1.

#4 hsreporter

hsreporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:30 AM

Oldtime: In the playoffs, teams fall when they lose. However, at the end of the season--the final ranking--I look at the body of work from the whole season. I'll tell you right now, Damascus has a great body of work. But for now, they have to drop behind teams that are still playing. Would it be fair to rank Damascus ahead of Hereford if Hereford defeats QO to win a state title?

#5 cbl

cbl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

Oldtime: In the playoffs, teams fall when they lose. However, at the end of the season--the final ranking--I look at the body of work from the whole season. I'll tell you right now, Damascus has a great body of work. But for now, they have to drop behind teams that are still playing. Would it be fair to rank Damascus ahead of Hereford if Hereford defeats QO to win a state title?

Quince Orchard and Hereford will have to go through Linganore first. A very daunting task for either team. I have seen Linganore play and they are very, very good.

#6 Trip

Trip

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

Quince Orchard and Hereford will have to go through Linganore first. A very daunting task for either team. I have seen Linganore play and they are very, very good.

And Linganore will have to demonstrate its very very goodness when it boils down to win or go home. QC and Hereford are not going to just lay down like sheep. What you call daunting is but another day to some beasts of the jungle. Games are not won or lost on reps alone. Linganore will have to step up and beat evveryone in its path, EVERYONE, a daunting task also. :eek:
:eek: - The Fruit of the Loom - 85Knight - AgentOrange - TRIP - and DenverMatt
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#7 Oldtime

Oldtime

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

So deeper in the rankings you would have had Bennett ahead of a team like Clarksburg? Your logic just doesn't make sense.

#8 hsreporter

hsreporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

Oldtime: If J.M. Bennett would have won the Class 3A title, then yes, the Clippers would be ahead of Clarksburg....That logic makes perfect sense...

#9 hsreporter

hsreporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

Should McDonogh be ranked?

#10 lobstaman

lobstaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

These rankings below seem more "realistic" than the one on this posting. Hopefully, the link will work if not go tm Massey rankings for Maryland.

http://www.highschoo...sion=#division#

#11 hsreporter

hsreporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

With Gilman and No. 4 and McDonogh at No. 6---right now? Please.....And North Point ranked ahead of Old Mill, which just beat North Point 24-0? Wow. That's funny....Hey, it's like they say, everyone has an opinion.....

#12 hsreporter

hsreporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

Lobstaman: Thanks for showing me that poll, it made me laugh, and I needed to laugh today....

#13 itisabusiness

itisabusiness

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

Lobstaman: Thanks for showing me that poll, it made me laugh, and I needed to laugh today....

Polls are only good for entertainment purposes. Most are a joke and are only published to generate some form of discussion.

#14 lobstaman

lobstaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

The point I am trying to make is yes there are other sites that offer rankings other than the ONE YOU WORK FOR and if you read the rankings they were for last week not this week. You seem to be pushing your site on this forum. Why not use your own forum to push your beliefs. You do have a forum on your site and to me that seems like the perfect place to advertize your site not here. Last time I looked this was the Baltimore Sun site NOT coachesaid site.

#15 pringle

pringle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:36 PM

Funny thing is that the Massey poll isn't based on an "opinion". The poll is similar to the Sagarin or RPI, both polls being determined by strength of schedule, wins against common opponents, margin of victory, etc. By the end of the year, the Massey poll has a very high degree of predictive value. USA today uses the Massey poll to determine its national and regional ratings. Massey tosses the local bias out of the equation. You should link to it on coaches said.

#16 "ole Timer"

"ole Timer"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

I know it would be hard to do but, maybe ranking teams by what they really are could be of help. My suggestion would be to rank by three classification as follows:
1. Private schools- the gilmans and Calvert halls
2. Public schools- the Arundels and the Wise's
3. pseudo public- the Dunbars and the River Hills

With all of the advantages the privates and Tech. schools have with the ability to recruit, this type of ranking could be better.

#17 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

I know it would be hard to do but, maybe ranking teams by what they really are could be of help. My suggestion would be to rank by three classification as follows:
1. Private schools- the gilmans and Calvert halls
2. Public schools- the Arundels and the Wise's
3. pseudo public- the Dunbars and the River Hills

With all of the advantages the privates and Tech. schools have with the ability to recruit, this type of ranking could be better.

Again another misconception. Yes Privates recruit but because of their academic standards can not just take anybody. I can only speak about Gilman(I am sure its the same in a lot of the privates), they are at a HUGE misadvantage! There are only a few spots in each class each year, you just can't take that many students. Much easier for a public to get students at their school than a Gilman. Now schools like Dematha and Good Counsel have more leeway but the Gilman's, Georgetown Prep's of the state can not!

#18 "ole Timer"

"ole Timer"

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

Again another misconception. Yes Privates recruit but because of their academic standards can not just take anybody. I can only speak about Gilman(I am sure its the same in a lot of the privates), they are at a HUGE misadvantage! There are only a few spots in each class each year, you just can't take that many students. Much easier for a public to get students at their school than a Gilman. Now schools like Dematha and Good Counsel have more leeway but the Gilman's, Georgetown Prep's of the state can not!

But! not all privates operate the same. the real issue that gives me heartburn is the schools that are public, openly recruit and, toot their own horn about "doing things the right way".

#19 LHSlancerFAN

LHSlancerFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

I will tell you that Linganore did not look very very good Friday night against Damascus. Way too many turnovers, way too many penalties, pretty much just too many boneheaded plays in general. There is one big aspect of our game that is gonna have to be fixed before this Friday or we might be in for a long night. I really think a lot of people consider us the underdog based on how we played last week and having to play at Quince Orchard. I think its a pretty safe to bet to say that a lot of the Linganore fans are pretty nervous about this one, I know I certainly am!

#20 lobstaman

lobstaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:47 PM

http://www.highschoo...&timeoffset=300

Latest Massey Poll