Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DJ1804

MD Girls High School Basketball 09-10!!

1,465 posts in this topic

Okay since no one else wanted to, I will give it a try!!

Let's talk positive about Girls High School basketball in Maryland!!

Try outs have begun....what's happening out there??? :)

Okay since no one else wanted to, I will give it a try!!

Let's talk positive about Girls High School basketball in Maryland!!

Try outs have begun....what's happening out there??? :)

Joppatowne is my sleeper team this season. A couple of out of state transfers could put them in the mix. I like them in Harford County. I think Poly could challenge City as the city team to beat behind Western and Digital if Melanie Williamson is not out too long with her knee injury. She just committed to Wagner by the way.

Stay tuned for an upcoming analysis of 1 through 5 of The Real Basketball Report's Pre-Season Top-30 teams:

1. Riverdale Baptist/Upper Marlboro, Maryland;

2. Seton Keough/Baltimore, Maryland;

3. St. Frances Academy/Baltimore, Maryland;

4. Lake Taylor/Norfolk, Virginia;

5. Elizabeth Seton/Bladensburg, Maryland.

Anyone want to start off with their try at it?

Stay tuned for an upcoming analysis of 1 through 5 of The Real Basketball Report's Pre-Season Top-30 teams:

1. Riverdale Baptist/Upper Marlboro, Maryland;

2. Seton Keough/Baltimore, Maryland;

3. St. Frances Academy/Baltimore, Maryland;

4. Lake Taylor/Norfolk, Virginia;

5. Elizabeth Seton/Bladensburg, Maryland.

Anyone want to start off with their try at it?

1. Elizabeth Seton - 4 Seniors, Good Chemistry

2. Seton Keough- 3 returning starters, addition of Walpher/Dukes

3. Riverdale Baptist- loss of baby twin? health of TW? if not, they are #1

4. Lake Taylor- BW 2011, nice group

5. West Springfield- well balanced team

* hearing SFA might not have their entire team, due to being eniligble, so can't rank them in top 5.

*if Spalding had a big girl they could be a top 7 team, Morrison, Swinson and ABF triple threat are studs. Plus Curtis!!! Still too young though.

*Arundel, McNamara and Western have so much talent its scary, but have no coaching compared to my top 5 teams.

*Good Counsel has good coaching, but only has the MD Flames(Cox) players.

*Holy Cross- Lost T.Williams, Lauren Chase, Chanel Mackey and Jordan Swails. Cant be top 5.

*Digital Harbor- Has some studs, but no way will have team chemistry, too many selfish players.

* SK, RB, ES and Spalding have brutal brutal schedules.

* Dont sleep on Oakton.

Just some thoughts?

Smack,

I don't know westerns coach but to say Rogers at arundel and Harrison at mcnamarra can't coach?

Riverdale Baptist/Upper Marlboro, Maryland: still pre-season #1 for now despite the loss of little-twin Tierra Hawkins; still tough with mainstays Ataira Franklin and Jello Richmond; big-time additions in Diana Logan and Whitney King; also look to Lauren Chase, Tiyonna Williams, and Kelilah Atkinson to put in work; if Riverdale can get any type of real post play going on, they should end up being #1 in our region, or close to it, because the Queen is back, and she ain't havin' it.

The difference with IAAM school and MPSSAA schools are the IAAM schools see each other all year so by the second or third time, they know how to play each other. MPSSAA schools have state playoffs. Most if not all of the schools they see are for the first time. Especially in the final four. Keough is good but that was Boswell 1st championship ever as a head coach. Might be her second so once again the IAAM homers need to relax and let the season progress. Plus the IAAM schools have a 2 week head start on the MPSSAA schools. Let's not forget Keough lost to City last season. SFA beat Keough, Western, and City in the regular season. Riverdale lost PG-Hawkins to eligibilty. Let's remember people, coaching is only as good as the players they coach. Keough had better players with BJ and Erica Ullman. They were a better team last season.

My top 5 Pre season:

1. Keough

2. Riverdale

3. SFA

4. Western

5. Arundel

Also let's keep in mind. This is pre-season. Most MPSSAA schools just got started monday. December is going to be really exciting. I predict alot of upsets early. But the stronger teams will prevail by mid January.

Seeing I heard the Queen is stealing alot of kids. And she has her sights on the Baltimore Metro area next. Stay Tuned and very sad.

USA today regional rankings:

Records are 2008-09 final records.

East

1. St. Michael Academy, New York (25-3)

2. Mount Lebanon, Pittsburgh (31-0)

3. Murry Bergtraum, New York (24-2)

4. Germantown Academy, Fort Washington, Pa. (31-0)

5. Shabazz, Newark, N.J. (30-2)

6. Central Dauphin, Harrisburg, Pa. (29-2)

7. H.D. Woodson, Washington, D.C. (22-6)

8. St. John Vianney, Holmdel, N.J. (31-3)

9. Seton Keough, Baltimore (25-8)

10. Peddie School, Hightstown, N.J. (24-2)

This is what happen when rank Amateur (SMACKTALK) get on this board and voice their opinion with no fact.

The difference with IAAM school and MPSSAA schools are the IAAM schools see each other all year so by the second or third time, they know how to play each other. MPSSAA schools have state playoffs. Most if not all of the schools they see are for the first time. Especially in the final four. Keough is good but that was Boswell 1st championship ever as a head coach. Might be her second so once again the IAAM homers need to relax and let the season progress. Plus the IAAM schools have a 2 week head start on the MPSSAA schools. Let's not forget Keough lost to City last season. SFA beat Keough, Western, and City in the regular season. Riverdale lost PG-Hawkins to eligibilty. Let's remember people, coaching is only as good as the players they coach. Keough had better players with BJ and Erica Ullman. They were a better team last season.

My top 5 Pre season:

1. Keough

2. Riverdale

3. SFA

4. Western

5. Arundel

Also let's keep in mind. This is pre-season. Most MPSSAA schools just got started monday. December is going to be really exciting. I predict alot of upsets early. But the stronger teams will prevail by mid January.

Hey MDTerp, I respect your insight into the rankings.....trust me you appear to have more inside infor then I do....but I would only ask that you remember how we lost the last thread!! :)

So let's try to stay as positive as possible....I know I will be able to benefit from everyone's imput!!! :)

Seeing I heard the Queen is stealing alot of kids. And she has her sights on the Baltimore Metro area next. Stay Tuned and very sad.

How can you steal something that does not belong to you. Kids are not property. If a player and the family choose to go somewhere else because they feel the situation is better then so be it. You don't own the player. Why is it a sad situation if it is better for the kid. I think the coach who looses the kid may be sad, but that is the business of the game.

seeing i heard the queen is stealing alot of kids. And she has her sights on the baltimore metro area next. Stay tuned and very sad.

mdterp,

"what goes around comes around" remember sureshots 2008 regional championship team?

Riverdale Baptist/Upper Marlboro, Maryland: still pre-season #1 for now despite the loss of little-twin Tierra Hawkins; still tough with mainstays Ataira Franklin and Jello Richmond; big-time additions in Diana Logan and Whitney King; also look to Lauren Chase, Tiyonna Williams, and Kelilah Atkinson to put in work; if Riverdale can get any type of real post play going on, they should end up being #1 in our region, or close to it, because the Queen is back, and she ain't havin' it.

Agree, if healthy, I thought T Williams is out with knee? Baby twin out hurts team chemistry.

Seton Keough/Baltimore, Maryland: pre-season #2, and could end up #1 at he end of the school season; very solid roster with Aja Walpher coming in to run some things; Chelsea Dukes coming in to add some real versatility; Elizabeth Brown as a true post presence; and some essential athletes in Amber Singletary and Achiri Ade; a few other basic pieces over there, as well; great momentum coming off of last years IAAM Championship and off of the demolition of Oak Hill Academy in a national showcase.

How can you steal something that does not belong to you. Kids are not property. If a player and the family choose to go somewhere else because they feel the situation is better then so be it. You don't own the player. Why is it a sad situation if it is better for the kid. I think the coach who looses the kid may be sad, but that is the business of the game.

So what happens to the Baltimore area basketball landscape if the top-tier kids roll south?

my apologies to the board. This was exact kind of talk that got the other board off of subject. Thanx DJ.

my apologies to the board. This was exact kind of talk that got the other board off of subject. Thanx DJ.

Hey - thanks to DJ for keeping folks on task. Thanks to you for sharing info you have. I look forward to the upcoming season.

St. Francis Academy/Baltimore, Maryland: pre-season #3, with by far the most formidable guard mob in the region, with youngins Dominique Hagins, Quay Malloy, Aaliyah Wilson, and highly-touted frosh Tychell King, to go along with big time vets Shatyra Hawkes, Deanna Harmon, and Breanna Hutchens; but St. Frances's success this season may depend on how far along athletic post Jonelle Britt has come; if she can hang this season, St. Frances has the potential to run any team in the region out of the gym.

Hey - thanks to DJ for keeping folks on task. Thanks to you for sharing info you have. I look forward to the upcoming season.

Right now it would be better for "top tier" kids, especially since there are no true elite teams ie...Boo Williams or Fairfax Stars in the Baltimore area to head south. This will allow the "top tier" kids to play at the elite level. The number of players coming out of the Baltimore area and going to D1 colleges are too far and too few between. There are too many talented kids in the area who are deserving of scholarships, but are getting over-looked because of the teams /schedules they are playing. I think the Baltimore area needs to unite and form one strong elite organization ie... old Baltimore Cougars with strong and fair leadership and get that Nike Sponsorship! If not you will see a lot more girls going south.

St. Francis Academy/Baltimore, Maryland: pre-season #3, with by far the most formidable guard mob in the region, with youngins Dominique Hagins, Quay Malloy, Aaliyah Wilson, and highly-touted frosh Tychell King, to go along with big time vets Shatyra Hawkes, Deanna Harmon, and Breanna Hutchens; but St. Frances's success this season may depend on how far along athletic post Jonelle Britt has come; if she can hang this season, St. Frances has the potential to run any team in the region out of the gym.

Right now I'd have to give the early edge to Keough. SF is having academic problems and a couple of kids could be out early. Shelton usually only goes 7 deep anyway so it might not be a big factor but they have an early season meeting so we'll see in due time.

So what happens to the Baltimore area basketball landscape if the top-tier kids roll south?

Why would any of our kids from Baltimore want to go south to play at Riverdale Baptist? This isnt AAU, name me the last kid that went from the Baltimore area HS to the D.C. area HS? and still lived in the Baltimore area? Akila Bethel lives in Columbia and she goes to HC thats the only one I know of. Plus, Akila along with Chase/Williams(RB transfers) are regretting going to HC. They feel they are not getting any College looks. When they were brought into HC, these kids had no idea that they were not allowed to be showcased on the AAU circuit. Their Head Coach feels that if Colleges want them, then they can come see them during their HS season. The Head Coach wants total control of these kids. So thats why Lauren Chase and Tyonna Williams departed for Riverdale Baptist.

So whoever is spreading that rumor about our girls heading south, is a joke.

Lets not forget SK beat RB last year in the ESPN Georgetown Prep showcase.

Also, why would our girls go south, when the Baltimore area has better players then the D.C. area?

Right now it would be better for "top tier" kids, especially since there are no true elite teams ie...Boo Williams or Fairfax Stars in the Baltimore area to head south. This will allow the "top tier" kids to play at the elite level. The number of players coming out of the Baltimore area and going to D1 colleges are too far and too few between. There are too many talented kids in the area who are deserving of scholarships, but are getting over-looked because of the teams /schedules they are playing. I think the Baltimore area needs to unite and form one strong elite organization ie... old Baltimore Cougars with strong and fair leadership and get that Nike Sponsorship! If not you will see a lot more girls going south.

TD- Name me one kid who would leave the Baltimore area and make the commute to a DC school? Sound like you have some inside scoop.

td- name me one kid who would leave the baltimore area and make the commute to a dc school? Sound like you have some inside scoop.

not sure but the word on the street is janna tucker will be heading to "riverdale" in school year 2010?