Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

90@atime

Miaa baseball 2010

735 posts in this topic

I have a friend at calvert hall and he says no one in the program has a fastball that fast. He says the fastest pitcher only throws 83-84

are you seriously arguing over 2 mph?

how about curley or gibbons? They both lost a lot last year (gibbons losing offense, curley losing pitching) but they always seem to put good seasons together. Peltz is going to have a big year for CG as will Frat.

I think Gibbons could finish just over .500 and possibly make a run in the end if no one gets hurt. Not sure how the hitting will be.

Loyola will be the power house at the plate this year. I think they have a lot seniors coming back that can hit. Not much pitch, I don't think.

Curley has lost a lot of pitching and they have a couple returning seniors and some upcoming talented sophmores. They will be young but like (JC) last year, this will be a building year. They will be soild in the infield and may surprise some teams if the young pitchers get it done against the avg. teams.

JC looks good based on last year. They did lose a good pitcher but they should hit the ball OK. They have a Junior and a Sophmore that can pitch but may take some time to make the adjustment.

CHC is and will be the team until someone knocks them out. My opinion is that they will be challanged this year by Loyola. I think they will make the playoffs but not much after that.

Good luck to all the teams, this is always a fun time of the year!

Can anyone verify this? I was speaking to a CHC junior righthander and he said that he was sloted to be the number 1 starter this year. However, there is a pitcher transfering to Calvert Hall in January that throws in the low 90's and may possibly be drafted. As a result the junior will be the number 2 starter. If this is true, the CHC has to be the favorite.

hate to say it but i agree witht the post about CHC being able to split into 2 squads and still dominate. the coaching staff @ Gilman is the envy of all the MIAA and will make an impact immediately. Gibbons has lost too much this year to be as big a factor as last year.

are you seriously arguing over 2 mph?

4 mph can make a big difference at this level believe it or not

4 mph can make a big difference at this level believe it or not

big difference, someone hitting 85 is significantly more dominating then even 82, 83

You don't need to throw 85-86 to dominate though at the high school level. Last year Loyola's Ryan Taylor threw from about 79 to 82 and he was very good and very consistent all year until he was hit by a line drive.

If you're going to dominate by throwing hard at the high school level you should be throwing 93+; pitching is more about control, deception, and movement. If you have all these things, you have a very good chance of succeeding.

You don't need to throw 85-86 to dominate though at the high school level. Last year Loyola's Ryan Taylor threw from about 79 to 82 and he was very good and very consistent all year until he was hit by a line drive.

If you're going to dominate by throwing hard at the high school level you should be throwing 93+; pitching is more about control' date=' deception, and movement. If you have all these things, you have a very good chance of succeeding.[/quote']

Completely agree. You do not NEED to throw 85-86, however, you can miss more spots in highschool ball throwing 86 than you can 80. The extra six miles an hour is big at this level. And let's be honest, 93+ would dominate the league, but there aren't too many guys throwing that (regardless of people throwing around MPH carelessly these days). So, if this new CHC guy is "throwing 90+", then not only are they the favorites for sure, but I want to see this guy throw

Ryan Taylor was phenomenal against CHC last year shutting them out, but the 2nd time around they hit him pretty good

That was his first start after injury. He didn't look like his velocity was there yet.

Can anyone verify this? I was speaking to a CHC junior righthander and he said that he was sloted to be the number 1 starter this year. However, there is a pitcher transfering to Calvert Hall in January that throws in the low 90's and may possibly be drafted. As a result the junior will be the number 2 starter. If this is true, the CHC has to be the favorite.

this sounds completely incorrect, where did you hear this

That was his first start after injury. He didn't look like his velocity was there yet.

Yeah I remember being at that game he definitely didn't have it back. It's a shame he suffered that injury so late in the season--he was the horse for Loyola before the injury at the St. Joe game, and afterwards he never looked quite the same.

while talking on the subject about Taylor from the 2009 Loyola team, anybody have any information or statistics on the fall seasons of college freshman this year who played MIAA baseball last year? Any of these freshman looking to contribute a good amount of playing time at the college level this season?

In particular, Andrew Parker (Gibbons), Jack Carey (St. Pauls), Pat Blair (CHC), Kevin Shields (Loyola), Harry Slade (Loyola), Ryan Taylor (Loyola), Blake Geiger (CHC), Eddie Palmer (Spalding), Evan Cain (CHC), and Mark Quaranta (Loyola)

this sounds completely incorrect, where did you hear this

From a junior right-hander from CHC. I'm just trying to verify information. If this is false, I will remove the post.

amybody have the real scoop why schwarzenberg let CGS? heard a bunch of different things...dont really belive any of them. just wondering..

Definetly agree with you. Loyola is the team to beat this year. Strong seniors coming back this year. Mentioned earlier with Loyola's GREAT outfield (Cullen, Lardo, and Bruns) all returning starters. and some returning starters from the infield also (Marrow, Sedney).

With a new coach at Loyola again this year, I am hoping to see Loyola perform like they did sparingly last year and take down the Hall for the MIAA crown.

I am confused. Did Loyola get a new head Varsity coach again? Did Schiminger leave? The Loyola website still lists him as the head coach.

Predictions are guesses but for the fun of it, here is how I see it. I will base in on Regular season only. Though I would love nothing more than to see a new team on top I am going to give the Hall its due and still say they are the team to beat. I have Loyola number 2. I do think they have some unknowns on the hill. I saw a kid named Roberta? pitch who I thought was pretty good though I thought he pitched backwards to much. Decent FB and good breaking ball. Would welcome some Loyola fans take on who will be number one on the hill. 3-6 is where it gets tough. But I am calling for the young guns of Spalding to finish 3rd. Watch out for this team in 2011 so they may be a year off but I have them at number 3. At 4 I have Mount St Joe. The Mount could even be better as I know they had a pretty good JV team when this team was was together as sophs and they always have alot of talent. I am going to go with Gibbons 5th and Gilman sneaking in at 6th. I am probably least familiar with JC, McDonough, St Pauls and Curley so it is probably why I don't have them in the top 6. This should spark some friendly debate. Other top 6 rankings welcome.

I am confused. Did Loyola get a new head Varsity coach again? Did Schiminger leave? The Loyola website still lists him as the head coach.

Yes. Loyola's new head coach is Terry Crowley Jr., son of the Baltimore Oriole hitting coach Terry Crowley Sr. Schiminger left Loyola after one year due to a new job that left him unable to coach or attend daily practices.

As always, one of the foundations of Loyola Baseball, Al Lardo will still coach. Al Lardo is basically a head coach on any coaching staff. His expertise is unheard of. He played collegiate baseball and didn't move on to the pro's due to an arm injury. Lardo is a great man to play for and definetly brings out the best in each kid.

2 years ago, the seniors now were sophmores. Those Loyola sophmores won the JV MIAA championship. Do you see them, with the same team they did as sophmores but now seniors, winning or at least finishing in the top 2 in the MIAA this year?

Yes. Loyola's new head coach is Terry Crowley Jr., son of the Baltimore Oriole hitting coach Terry Crowley Sr. Schiminger left Loyola after one year due to a new job that left him unable to coach or attend daily practices.

As always, one of the foundations of Loyola Baseball, Al Lardo will still coach. Al Lardo is basically a head coach on any coaching staff. His expertise is unheard of. He played collegiate baseball and didn't move on to the pro's due to an arm injury. Lardo is a great man to play for and definetly brings out the best in each kid.

2 years ago, the seniors now were sophmores. Those Loyola sophmores won the JV MIAA championship. Do you see them, with the same team they did as sophmores but now seniors, winning or at least finishing in the top 2 in the MIAA this year?

I put in my top 6 in an earlier post. I have them finishing 2nd. They definitely have a shot at winning it all and I am predicting around 13-5 or 14-4 in the MIAA and a 2nd seed in the playoffs.

Loyola's coaching staff has a lot of baseball experience and knowledge, as both HC Jim Crowley and assistant Al Lardo played at a high level, and Crowley was in the pros for a while.

Loyola's #1 pitcher this year should be Mike Roberta. He doesn't throw too hard, but he looked like he had pretty good command and movement the one time I saw him pitch last year (the playoff game against CHC). CHC is still the team to beat, it's just that teams like Loyola and Spalding will be right there challenging this year.

I'm just not sold on Swearingen, Trimmer, and Sgroi for the Hall. They did ok last year, but not particularly good, and they all had times when they were hit pretty hard.

Coach Eckrel said this last year: "When Mike [Trionfo] or Blake Geiger pitch, we win. When it's anyone else [Trimmer, Sgroi, Swearingen], it's a crapshoot."

I think he was pretty brutally honest, and I think it might be the same this year, however, obviously, they don't have Mike or Blake this year. Hopefully those guys step up to fill in the holes, but if their own coach says that about them, it might be tough.

Other Number 1 starters?

CG: Peltz

LOY: Roberta

CHC: The Big 3

Curley, GIL, JC, MCD, STP, MSJ, SPALD??

Thats true but what a year of experience can do. Speaking of experience, its going to be interesting to se how Gilman does because they have a very young staff which 2 sophomores in the starting rotation and only 2 seniors on the staff. They were a great hitting team last year but they suffered from lack of pitchers.

Coach Eckrel said this last year: "When Mike [Trionfo] or Blake Geiger pitch, we win. When it's anyone else [Trimmer, Sgroi, Swearingen], it's a crapshoot."

I think he was pretty brutally honest, and I think it might be the same this year, however, obviously, they don't have Mike or Blake this year. Hopefully those guys step up to fill in the holes, but if their own coach says that about them, it might be tough.

Other Number 1 starters?

CG: Peltz

LOY: Roberta

CHC: The Big 3

Curley, GIL, JC, MCD, STP, MSJ, SPALD??

CHC might not have that stud number 1, but whoelse in the league does this year? and their depth is very good

CHC might not have that stud number 1, but whoelse in the league does this year? and their depth is very good

This is a very good point. Top velocity this year might only be 86. Good velocity, yes. Not what it has been in the past. A definite offensive year.

As for Gilman, how well did they hit last year? I don't think many can compete with CHC's offensive lineup. Returners to the lineup:Fitz, Bryant, Merkel, Bosse, Welling, Lenovitz...

^ very good hitters

This is a very good point. Top velocity this year might only be 86. Good velocity, yes. Not what it has been in the past. A definite offensive year.

As for Gilman, how well did they hit last year? I don't think many can compete with CHC's offensive lineup. Returners to the lineup:Fitz, Bryant, Merkel, Bosse, Welling, Lenovitz...

^ very good hitters

Gilman batted about 370 as a team but they still cant compare with the hall