Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

90@atime

Miaa baseball 2010

735 posts in this topic

CHC might not have that stud number 1, but whoelse in the league does this year? and their depth is very good

I may also be said that Eckerl had the same feeling about Geiger who pitched very little his junior year. He go hit hard in California and pitche sparingly after that, so I wouldn't worry to much about the comment made about CHC's junior pitchers

As for hitters, I agree that the lineup is strong. Bosse and Pastorius were ovr matched most of last year. However, I expect to see improvement with a year under their belts.

I may also be said that Eckerl had the same feeling about Geiger who pitched very little his junior year. He go hit hard in California and pitche sparingly after that, so I wouldn't worry to much about the comment made about CHC's junior pitchers

As for hitters, I agree that the lineup is strong. Bosse and Pastorius were ovr matched most of last year. However, I expect to see improvement with a year under their belts.

CHC is supposed to have this kid Baron, a junior transfer that was apparently told by CHC that he would be the 2 pitcher ....

regardless of talent you know that calvert hall will make a run this year. Their coaching is too good to let them have an off year, and I think they have the tools anyway to be successful. It doesn't matter if their staff is complete top to bottom they always have a bunch of live arms on the mound.

As for Gilman, they don't have a real number one pitcher. Brandon Casas' off speed stuff is filthy and he showed an incredible amount of guts last year on the mound as a freshman, picking up Gilman's only two wins. However, I don't think his fastball is overpowering and he isn't ready to be the number one over there yet.

Bryan Willis for the hounds on the other hand is a complete bust. Yeah he might top 85 but he couldn't throw a strike if he had a gun to his head. He has absolutely no poise on the mound and shouldn't even be getting looked at by D-1 coaches, he is that bad. Last year apparently he got offered by Georgetown and was getting looked at by UNC and Notre Dame, but really this kid is going nowhere, at least fast (HAHA!!!). Maybe if he stops getting his panties in a bunch he can turn things around and pick up his first varsity win.

Hopefully Ripken can step in and add a second reliable arm.

A buddy of mines son plays for Spalding and I got to see them a few times last year and this fall. As far as pitching goes they definitely have some good young arms. Neary is a Junior and is still very raw on the mound but when he is on he can be really good though I only saw him catch this fall. I know he beat Gibbons last year toward the end of the year and threw well. Smallenbrook and Grant have very live fastballs but control could be an issue. Joe Williams, Ryan? Wagner and a kid named Clark I know are all Sophomores who played Varsity as freshman and all 3 should have a big impact in 2010.

If the young guys continuing improving at a rapid pace they can contend in 2010 though I think 2011 is probably more their year.

Just like Heavy, I am intrigued by St Joe and wonder what to expect this year. Any St Joe early scouting reports?

regardless of talent you know that calvert hall will make a run this year. Their coaching is too good to let them have an off year, and I think they have the tools anyway to be successful. It doesn't matter if their staff is complete top to bottom they always have a bunch of live arms on the mound.

As for Gilman, they don't have a real number one pitcher. Brandon Casas' off speed stuff is filthy and he showed an incredible amount of guts last year on the mound as a freshman, picking up Gilman's only two wins. However, I don't think his fastball is overpowering and he isn't ready to be the number one over there yet.

Bryan Willis for the hounds on the other hand is a complete bust. Yeah he might top 85 but he couldn't throw a strike if he had a gun to his head. He has absolutely no poise on the mound and shouldn't even be getting looked at by D-1 coaches, he is that bad. Last year apparently he got offered by Georgetown and was getting looked at by UNC and Notre Dame, but really this kid is going nowhere, at least fast (HAHA!!!). Maybe if he stops getting his panties in a bunch he can turn things around and pick up his first varsity win.

No need to bash players by name.

Where did you get that info? Gilman doesnt have any scholarship baseball players or anyone who could play ball in college right now. As for Ripken, he should be reliable, but there is no need to trash someone like that. Anyway, I believe he had 2 wins their sophomore year.

Agreed.No need to bash Willis like that. I think he's got a lot of potential. He seems very raw on the mound, but with a lot of size and arm strength (something college coaches and pro guys like very much). I think he could have a much better season (a very good and successful one at that) this year if he does throw more strikes. I'm looking forward to see how the new revamped coaching staff at Gilman works with the talent they have. I think it's all agreed the league is very even this year. Someone could easily fall below expectations, or suprise all of us.

Yes. Loyola's new head coach is Terry Crowley Jr., son of the Baltimore Oriole hitting coach Terry Crowley Sr. Schiminger left Loyola after one year due to a new job that left him unable to coach or attend daily practices.

As always, one of the foundations of Loyola Baseball, Al Lardo will still coach. Al Lardo is basically a head coach on any coaching staff. His expertise is unheard of. He played collegiate baseball and didn't move on to the pro's due to an arm injury. Lardo is a great man to play for and definetly brings out the best in each kid.

2 years ago, the seniors now were sophmores. Those Loyola sophmores won the JV MIAA championship. Do you see them, with the same team they did as sophmores but now seniors, winning or at least finishing in the top 2 in the MIAA this year?

Just to be straight the head coach is Jim Crowley, brother of Terry, son of Terry. Jim has been coaching for many years. The new jv coach, Andrew Fava a Loyola alumnus, was drafted by the Yankees and played 3b for NC State.

Where did you get that info? Gilman doesnt have any scholarship baseball players or anyone who could play ball in college right now. As for Ripken, he should be reliable, but there is no need to trash someone like that. Anyway, I believe he had 2 wins their sophomore year.

Actually, they do have a kid, there centerfielder Scott Johnson. He's played varsity since his sophmore year and from what ive heard has an offer from Flordia A&M. He also has been a pitcher and will contribute this year.

Actually, they do have a kid, there centerfielder Scott Johnson. He's played varsity since his sophmore year and from what ive heard has an offer from Flordia A&M. He also has been a pitcher and will contribute this year.

Yes, Johnson was the best player on the team last season as a junior and has nice tools (especially speed). I agree that Willis is raw and will need to throw strikes to be effective - throws hard though. I look for considerable upgrades in hitting, pitching and defense at gilman this year, but most of that will come from underclassmen (the junior who hit cleanup most of the season last year hit about .150 with no power). Safe to say Sheets won't keep running him out there this year. I think it's fair to say they will be improved, but probably still a year or two away from challenging for the league.

big difference, someone hitting 85 is significantly more dominating then even 82, 83

I disagree. In the MIAA, if you aren't touching 90 you won't dominate any team with your fastball. Even Brandon Erbe had his struggles against the league's better teams. You've gotta have some movement and control. If you have those things then you really only need one half decent offspeed pitch. I remember in games against Steve Johnson he would only throw a handful of offspeed pitches the entire game because he could throw either of his two fastballs to any part of the strike zone. But if a pitcher lacks velocity, control or movement then he will need a quality number two option. 85 used to be commonplace in the MIAA when I played 5 years ago.

A buddy of mines son plays for Spalding and I got to see them a few times last year and this fall. As far as pitching goes they definitely have some good young arms. Neary is a Junior and is still very raw on the mound but when he is on he can be really good though I only saw him catch this fall. I know he beat Gibbons last year toward the end of the year and threw well. Smallenbrook and Grant have very live fastballs but control could be an issue. Joe Williams, Ryan? Wagner and a kid named Clark I know are all Sophomores who played Varsity as freshman and all 3 should have a big impact in 2010.

If the young guys continuing improving at a rapid pace they can contend in 2010 though I think 2011 is probably more their year.

Just like Heavy, I am intrigued by St Joe and wonder what to expect this year. Any St Joe early scouting reports?

Spalding is too young to know anything about yet. They are the wildcard in the league in my opinion. I think Neary pitched last year because the Sr's didn't perform down the stretch and he just stepped up because that's who he is. I doubt he will pitch this year. They have 3 Jr. pitchers, Grant, Smallenbrooke, and Gardiner. They have a gaggle of Sophs that pitch, Clark, Wells, Williams, Wagner, the list goes on. They also have a good looking hard throwing lefty freshmen but I can't remember his name.

MSJ will not be a wild card this year, Draper, Spahn, Lee, Schilling, Rodgers,.... They have a whole lot of leadership and a great young crop coming up. If I'm making predictions, here is my final standings list for the top 5

1. Loyola

2. MSJ

3. Calvert Hall

4. Spalding

5. St. Paul/Gillman

I disagree. In the MIAA, if you aren't touching 90 you won't dominate any team with your fastball. Even Brandon Erbe had his struggles against the league's better teams. You've gotta have some movement and control. If you have those things then you really only need one half decent offspeed pitch. I remember in games against Steve Johnson he would only throw a handful of offspeed pitches the entire game because he could throw either of his two fastballs to any part of the strike zone. But if a pitcher lacks velocity, control or movement then he will need a quality number two option. 85 used to be commonplace in the MIAA when I played 5 years ago.

You don't need to dominate with a 90 mph fastball. If you're throwing 82-83 with a good two-seamer and 85 with a 4-seam, you can be more dominant than someone who throws 91-92 but doesn't change speeds, have good movement, use an off-speed pitch, or locate his pitches.

I agree with Lets go O's that it is more about pitching. We have all played and had fits with that guy who throws 80-81 with a nice change, good breaking ball and just knows how to pitch. I think kids at a young age still don't get that and are always so concerned with the gun.

I do know what Irish is saying though. If you are just a one pitch guy (FB) 85 is not going to get it done unless you can paint like Picasso. It will take about 90 for a kid to rely on a fastball that he can't locate to be successful in the MIAA and if he can't find the zone at all he will obviously still struggle.

On the same token if you are throwing 82-83 with a good change and good breaking ball, that fastball will seem more like 90 because you can't cheat on it.

I agree with letsplay2 on this. Loyola's Ryan Taylor was probably one of the top 4 or 5 pitchers in the Miaa last year before his injury, and he reportedly threw from 79 to 82 with a good changeup and curve.

Off the top of my head,

Bosse

Lardo

Neary

Peltz

These four were standouts last year, just the first 4 I thought of.