Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RTB

Which Race Commits the Most Crime

In absolute numbers, which race commits the most crime?   48 members have voted

1. 1. In absolute numbers, which race commits the most crime?

• Whites
    • Blacks
    • Don't Know

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

131 posts in this topic

Well done. You've just demonstrated that 12% of the population is responsible for not quite 30% of all arrests. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

I am less interested in total crime numbers as I am in the disproportionate numbers of violent crimes. Maybe I have my priorities misplaced and I'm not racially sensitive enough.

In absolute numbers, which race commits the most crime in America, blacks or whites? Take a look at the figures from the Department of Justice.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/data/table_43.html

That's not an accurate comparison and gives a skewed perception. That's like comparing New York City's murder rate to Baltimore City's murder rate. New York City has more murders than Baltimore, but does that mean New York City is safer? No, because you have to account for population differences, and when you do, New York City is much safer than Baltimore City

If you are going to compare by race then you have to account for population differences between the races to have an equal comparison.

Non Hispanic whites account for approximately 66% of the population, Hispanics account for 15%, blacks account for 14%, and Asians account for 5%.

They are lumping Hispanics in somewhere. Either that, or Hispanics don't commit any crimes.

The FBI stats do count most hispanic people as white. I am not sure why.

Who accepts failure?

The neighborhoods and families where many of these criminals live.

Crime thrives where it is tolerated. A recent string of thefts from a vehicles in my neighborhood resulted in multiple meetings, phone calls, and tons of emails. County Councilmen were involved, as well as state delegates and senators. The police increased patrols and neighbors locked doors and installed motion detector lights.

Well done. You've just demonstrated that 12% of the population is responsible for not quite 30% of all arrests. :rolleyes:

Like that's news. Yet a majority of respondants believe that 12% commits 50+%. Which tells us a lot about much many people actually understand about race and crime? If I asked what the risk of anyone being the victoim of a random violent crime vs. being killed by their spouse, I'll bet the responses would be equally inaccurate.

I bet you have a few ideas why.

Yeah, not placing a high enough value on education, putting too high an emphasis on material goods, not following through on fatherhood and living in the moment, instead of planning for the future.

What were you thinking I would say?

The neighborhoods and families where many of these criminals live.

Crime thrives where it is tolerated. A recent string of thefts from a vehicles in my neighborhood resulted in multiple meetings, phone calls, and tons of emails. County Councilmen were involved, as well as state delegates and senators. The police increased patrols and neighbors locked doors and installed motion detector lights.

What's the racial makeup of your neighborhood?

That's not an accurate comparison and gives a skewed perception. That's like comparing New York City's murder rate to Baltimore City's murder rate. New York City has more murders than Baltimore, but does that mean New York City is safer? No, because you have to account for population differences, and when you do, New York City is much safer than Baltimore City

If you are going to compare by race then you have to account for population differences between the races to have an equal comparison.

Non Hispanic whites account for approximately 66% of the population, Hispanics account for 15%, blacks account for 14%, and Asians account for 5%.

No. We're talking about the oft repeated claim that blacks commit most crime in America. A claim I've seen innumerable times of this thread. I want to see exactly what the real numbers are and, as important, what perceptions are about the real numbers.

Like that's news. Yet a majority of respondants believe that 12% commits 50+%. Which tells us a lot about much many people actually understand about race and crime? If I asked what the risk of anyone being the victoim of a random violent crime vs. being killed by their spouse, I'll bet the responses would be equally inaccurate.

The reason for that is because that 12% IS responsible for about 50% of all murders and non-negligent manslaughter and more than 50% of all robberies. Which means that 12% tends to make the news 50% of the time as most news outlets don't have the time to cover lesser crimes.

Bernie madoff. How many people did he affect? Lets add them all up. Lets figure out homw much money he stole.

Him and people like him are criminals. I think he alone affected more people than every black purse snachers in a year? At least.

The reason for that is because that 12% IS responsible for about 50% of all murders and non-negligent manslaughter and more than 50% of all robberies. Which means that 12% tends to make the news 50% of the time as most news outlets don't have the time to cover lesser crimes.

Nah, I'd say that 12% makes the news about 70- 80% of time time. I wonder why that is?

Ask RTB.

I'm actually glad to see both you, and RTB posting in the same thread. Now I know there are two different posters. I was really starting to question whether the poster was a little crazy. This really explains a lot :D