Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Which Race Commits the Most Crime

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
130 replies to this topic

Poll: In absolute numbers, which race commits the most crime? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

In absolute numbers, which race commits the most crime?

1. Whites (16 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Blacks (28 votes [58.33%])

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

3. Don't Know (4 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 RTB

RTB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:10 PM

In absolute numbers, which race commits the most crime in America, blacks or whites? Take a look at the figures from the Department of Justice.

http://www.fbi.gov/u...a/table_43.html

#2 PurpleApocalypse37

PurpleApocalypse37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

Can you post the population of each ethnicity in this country?
Time you enjoyed wasting, is not wasted.

#3 LarryN

LarryN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,905 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

Sure, in absolute numbers whites commit more crimes

66% commits 69.7%
13.5% commits 28.2%

They are lumping Hispanics in somewhere. Either that, or Hispanics don't commit any crimes.
"She's like the ex-girlfriend they're SO over, never want to see again, have already forgotten about -- really, it's O-ver -- but they just can't stop talking about her." --- Ann Coulter, discussing Sarah Palin

#4 Ranger John

Ranger John

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,761 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:23 PM

In absolute numbers, which race commits the most crime in America, blacks or whites? Take a look at the figures from the Department of Justice.

Well done. You've just demonstrated that 12% of the population is responsible for not quite 30% of all arrests. :rolleyes:
You just think I'm heartless because mine doesn't bleed like a George Romero slasher movie.

#5 whitefeather

whitefeather

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:28 PM

Well done. You've just demonstrated that 12% of the population is responsible for not quite 30% of all arrests.

bingo
"He tasks me! He tasks me! And I shall have him. I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" Kahn

#6 Realistic767

Realistic767

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,186 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:28 PM

Well done. You've just demonstrated that 12% of the population is responsible for not quite 30% of all arrests. :rolleyes:

Exactly.

I am less interested in total crime numbers as I am in the disproportionate numbers of violent crimes. Maybe I have my priorities misplaced and I'm not racially sensitive enough.
He that lives upon HOPE will die fasting.
-- Ben Franklin

#7 Atlas

Atlas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

That's not an accurate comparison and gives a skewed perception. That's like comparing New York City's murder rate to Baltimore City's murder rate. New York City has more murders than Baltimore, but does that mean New York City is safer? No, because you have to account for population differences, and when you do, New York City is much safer than Baltimore City

If you are going to compare by race then you have to account for population differences between the races to have an equal comparison.

Non Hispanic whites account for approximately 66% of the population, Hispanics account for 15%, blacks account for 14%, and Asians account for 5%.
The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled in Haynes v U.S. (390, U.S. 85, 1968) that criminals are legally exempt from any form of firearms licensing and firearms registration on 5th amendment grounds. What do you call a government that recognizes Constitutional rights for criminals, but can not grasp the definition of "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" for law-abiding citizens?

#8 Monroe

Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

I wonder why?
Barry, covered in baby oil, will stand in front of a full-length mirror in an alcoholic blackout ... swaying back and forth admiring himself. - Gene

#9 RHB

RHB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,933 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

I wonder why?

Ask RTB.

#10 Guest_crabsnbeer_*

Guest_crabsnbeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

I wonder why?

A culture that accepts failure.

#11 Monroe

Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:38 PM

A culture that accepts failure.

Who accepts failure?
Barry, covered in baby oil, will stand in front of a full-length mirror in an alcoholic blackout ... swaying back and forth admiring himself. - Gene

#12 Guest_crabsnbeer_*

Guest_crabsnbeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:38 PM

They are lumping Hispanics in somewhere. Either that, or Hispanics don't commit any crimes.

The FBI stats do count most hispanic people as white. I am not sure why.

#13 Realistic767

Realistic767

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,186 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

I wonder why?

I bet you have a few ideas why.
He that lives upon HOPE will die fasting.
-- Ben Franklin

#14 Guest_crabsnbeer_*

Guest_crabsnbeer_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:44 PM

Who accepts failure?

The neighborhoods and families where many of these criminals live.

Crime thrives where it is tolerated. A recent string of thefts from a vehicles in my neighborhood resulted in multiple meetings, phone calls, and tons of emails. County Councilmen were involved, as well as state delegates and senators. The police increased patrols and neighbors locked doors and installed motion detector lights.

#15 RTB

RTB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:44 PM

Like that's news. Yet a majority of respondants believe that 12% commits 50+%. Which tells us a lot about much many people actually understand about race and crime? If I asked what the risk of anyone being the victoim of a random violent crime vs. being killed by their spouse, I'll bet the responses would be equally inaccurate.

#16 Monroe

Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

I bet you have a few ideas why.

Yeah, not placing a high enough value on education, putting too high an emphasis on material goods, not following through on fatherhood and living in the moment, instead of planning for the future.

What were you thinking I would say?

#17 Monroe

Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,391 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

The neighborhoods and families where many of these criminals live.

Crime thrives where it is tolerated. A recent string of thefts from a vehicles in my neighborhood resulted in multiple meetings, phone calls, and tons of emails. County Councilmen were involved, as well as state delegates and senators. The police increased patrols and neighbors locked doors and installed motion detector lights.

What's the racial makeup of your neighborhood?

#18 RTB

RTB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:48 PM

That's not an accurate comparison and gives a skewed perception. That's like comparing New York City's murder rate to Baltimore City's murder rate. New York City has more murders than Baltimore, but does that mean New York City is safer? No, because you have to account for population differences, and when you do, New York City is much safer than Baltimore City

If you are going to compare by race then you have to account for population differences between the races to have an equal comparison.

Non Hispanic whites account for approximately 66% of the population, Hispanics account for 15%, blacks account for 14%, and Asians account for 5%.

No. We're talking about the oft repeated claim that blacks commit most crime in America. A claim I've seen innumerable times of this thread. I want to see exactly what the real numbers are and, as important, what perceptions are about the real numbers.

#19 RTB

RTB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

The FBI stats do count most hispanic people as white. I am not sure why.

Because they're white?

#20 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,868 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

Races don't commit crimes; people do.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo