Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

STOP with the shaky camera!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 kelsey59

kelsey59

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:42 AM

I am so tired of trying to watch a movie and they insist on using the shaky camera stunt. All it does is give me a headache and make a movie completely unwatchable. I guess this stupid idea started with Blair Witch Project which gave me a headache. Cloverland I watched about 3 minutes of it and turned if off and now District 9.

Maybe these directors need to go back to school, this trick adds nothing to the story.

rant done.

#2 highmc2

highmc2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,715 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

I believe the technique went mainstream with Saving Private Ryan. The handheld certainly puts the viewer in the action, but it is way overdone in many scenes these days.
Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. Henry David Thoreau

Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule. Nietzche

#3 kelsey59

kelsey59

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

I believe the technique went mainstream with Saving Private Ryan. The handheld certainly puts the viewer in the action, but it is way overdone in many scenes these days.

You're right Saving private Ryan was released earlier. For some reason it doesn't bother me with that movie, one of my favorites. I think Stephen Spielberg used it far more sparingly and it was less "giggly."

What annoys me is I liked the story in District 9, but I couldn't recommend it because of the camera work.

#4 Hexexis

Hexexis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

I am so tired of trying to watch a movie and they insist on using the shaky camera stunt. All it does is give me a headache and make a movie completely unwatchable. I guess this stupid idea started with Blair Witch Project which gave me a headache. ...

Not sure where it started, but "the land of the hand-held" (Dennis Miller's comment on the old Ben Stiller show) began decades ago: French new wave, Cassavettes, Fred Wiseman documentaries. I guess it's supposed to give that reality feel to the subject ("24"), but I don't think it's appopriate for, say, amateurs. So-called critics, tho, seem to drool over anything with the shaky stunts.
"...anyone who can offend almost anybody is [a] brilliant and original thinker."--S.I. Hayakawa

#5 TheGnosticMetatron

TheGnosticMetatron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

You're right Saving private Ryan was released earlier. For some reason it doesn't bother me with that movie, one of my favorites. I think Stephen Spielberg used it far more sparingly and it was less "giggly."

What annoys me is I liked the story in District 9, but I couldn't recommend it because of the camera work.

I think Spielburg was able to afford a better class of shaky camera...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Freedom was not secured from the tyranny of those who swore to best protect a capitalist democracy.
- The Black Terror

#6 Red Baron

Red Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

I can't watch a movie that has it. As much as I want to watch Private Ryan, once that shaky cam crap starts, I have to turn it off...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Did any of these groups protest against Big Government when it was illegally tapping our phones and denying habeas corpus rights... What we confront, in the anti-reform mobs, are people who approve of coercion and lawlessness, including when it is used by a strong leader... This mimics several of the characteristics Hannah Arendt discovered in the mobs tht brought totalitarianism to the modern world. -- Paul Grenier

#7 thehats

thehats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

I can't watch a movie that has it. As much as I want to watch Private Ryan, once that shaky cam crap starts, I have to turn it off...

that's a shame. the shaky-cam technique employed by spielberg in Saving Private Ryan does a great job of displaying the chaos from an infantrymans point of view. Saving Private Ryan is in my top 10 best films of all time, and the cinematography is the primary reason.

#8 TheJoKeR!

TheJoKeR!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

that's a shame. the shaky-cam technique employed by spielberg in Saving Private Ryan does a great job of displaying the chaos from an infantrymans point of view. Saving Private Ryan is in my top 10 best films of all time, and the cinematography is the primary reason.

I totally agree!

#9 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

Shakey camera/fast, unexpected angles, and scene cuts were a trademark of the earlier HLOTS episodes.

------------------------------------------

Taxation. Inch by inch, it's a cinch.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

The Democratic party... Blame you can believe in!

dude: you gonna vote?

Me: yeah but not for Obama.

dude: you racist bro?

Me: No, I just dont like Democrats.

dude: Whats a Democrat?