Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

CADTV Channels Picked Up By New LG HDTV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 gobak2sleep

gobak2sleep

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:50 AM

I just got first HDTV this weekend, screwed in my cable wire to the back and did the auto setup for the channels. The tv picked up all these channels under 'CADTV' and some of the local channels here have a great looking picture.

Presently I pay comcast $9.99/month for very limited basic service. These channels show up under 'CATV'. So how am I able to see all these CADTV channels?

Also, is this an HD picture that I am seeing on channels like wbal and wbff in 'CADTV'? Its an awesome picture, much better than the other channels but I didnt think it was possible to see HD without connecting through an HDMI port.

#2 Snake_Plissken

Snake_Plissken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

I just got first HDTV this weekend, screwed in my cable wire to the back and did the auto setup for the channels. The tv picked up all these channels under 'CADTV' and some of the local channels here have a great looking picture.

Presently I pay comcast $9.99/month for very limited basic service. These channels show up under 'CATV'. So how am I able to see all these CADTV channels?

Also, is this an HD picture that I am seeing on channels like wbal and wbff in 'CADTV'? Its an awesome picture, much better than the other channels but I didnt think it was possible to see HD without connecting through an HDMI port.

"HD" refers to the screen resolution, not the connection method (coax or hdmi). Usual resolutions are 720p (lowest) and 1080i (intermediate) and 1080p (best, currently).

If you use the ol' rabbit ears with your HDTV, through the coaxial, you get HD up to 1080i. For free. Don't need Comcast at all. And the picture is much better, imo. And without using an HDMI port.

You use an HDMI port with a device such as a cable box, blu-ray player (which will get you 1080p, if your TV is capable), etc.

If it's coming in through your cable from Comcast, it is not OTA (over-the-air), and you are paying for it. If you are getting more channels than you think you should, then that is an issue with Comcast.

Edited by Snake_Plissken, 12 January 2010 - 10:37 AM.

#3 gobak2sleep

gobak2sleep

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

The comcast people confused me, they said there was 'no way' I could be getting an HD picture through the coaxial.

So why does comcast bother with an HD receiver box if you can get HD straight from the coaxial? Is it just to get 1080p instead of 1080i or maybe something to do with audio?

#4 Snake_Plissken

Snake_Plissken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:22 AM

The comcast people confused me, they said there was 'no way' I could be getting an HD picture through the coaxial.

So why does comcast bother with an HD receiver box if you can get HD straight from the coaxial? Is it just to get 1080p instead of 1080i or maybe something to do with audio?

Currently, you can only get 1080p from Blu-Ray, computers, or from video game consoles. (Just because you are using an HDMI port, doesn't necessarily mean you are getting 1080p. The source device must be transmitting a 1080p signal.)

There could be any number of reasons Comcast insists on a receiver box: anti-piracy, proprietary signal, conversion for older televisions, etc.

Edited by Snake_Plissken, 12 January 2010 - 11:34 AM.

#5 microg

microg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

Where I am (Comcast Balto Co) I can pick up MPT, WETA, WBFF, and WNUV in high definition from my QAM receiver unencrypted via the coax. They are also allowing many SD (standard definition) channels (cable and over the air) via QAM without encryption as well (approximately the same channel list as what you get from using the DTA box) but I understand they will be encrypting most of these in the near future.
Analog is about gone except for about 20 channels (obviously these are all in standard definition).

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,806 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

Money. I have sd Directv but on Raven game days I unplug my dtv box and plug in my rabbit ears to watch the game in HD.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#7 microg

microg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

It is my understanding that channels beyond the limited basic tier will eventually be encrypted and require a box. Channels within the limited basic service should be available to you without a box and yes, some of the local TV stations do show up over the cable in high definition. High definition can be transmitted over the coax if the signal is digital (but a digital signal does not always mean a high definition picture). The cable telephone representative was probably thinking you were viewing the analog cable signal and not realizing your tv could also scan the digital cable channels as well.

Another note: Comcast seems to routinely change their digital cable channel frequency assignments around. This does not affect those with a box as the box automatically deals with this but it does affect those that receive the digital signal directly into their TV.

#8 In_The_Ville

In_The_Ville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:31 PM

What channel numbers are you getting?
Government is not the solution. Government is the problem.

Anyone But O'Malley 2010

#9 gobak2sleep

gobak2sleep

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

What channel numbers are you getting?

seems like most of the channels the come with regular cable. the hd channels are 2-1, 11-1, 26-4 and 45-1. mar, bal, weta, and bff.

i think microg nailed it, there is a QAM receiver in the tv that picks up the unencrypted channels but apparently some may not be unencrypted for long.

i just hope they dont decide to encrypt in the middle of the playoffs this weekend cause i cant get a good OTA signal at my house. :eek:

#10 catmandew

catmandew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

I use a pair of rabbit ears myself on my 42" HD (1080-something) TV, as I pay for no cable HD. But my neighbor recently bought a new digital (720 I think) TV, and asked me to set it up for her, with her "full basic" no-box cable (same as mine). Fortunately, her TV is small enough (4x3 aspect ratio, low 20-something inch diagonal) to not make the SD channels look like crap. But I was surprised to find OTA HD channels coming through on her set, and on the same channel designations as I get OTA.
"The CIA never did anything the White House didn't want. Sometimes they didn't want to do what they did."
Otis Pike

#11 PA Tim

PA Tim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

Money. I have sd Directv but on Raven game days I unplug my dtv box and plug in my rabbit ears to watch the game in HD.

Depending on what box you have, you might not need to unplug it. I connected my rabbit ears directly to the DirecTV DVR. It then scanned the local channels and now they are all listed in the menu.
My Shelties: Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey http://www.dogster.com/dogs/520236

#12 thehats

thehats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,560 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Depending on what box you have, you might not need to unplug it. I connected my rabbit ears directly to the DirecTV DVR. It then scanned the local channels and now they are all listed in the menu.

same here. almost every direcTV receiever (except the HR21, the black HD-DVR i believe) have built-in antenna connections to recieve OTA-HD locals, and other digital broadcasts.

(some local channels broadcasting over-the-air have alternate channels. when i was in pittsburgh last month, my brother-in-law had an all-movie channel that came over the air from the local NBC affiliate via an alternate channel.)

#13 MisterGQ

MisterGQ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:52 PM

you are picking up clear QAM. The remaining channels of comcast are encrypted known as 5C.

Network stations have to stay clear qam and cannot be encrypted.

as to why comcast does not know about it is because many of those that work for comcast does not understand the technology.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 gobak2sleep

gobak2sleep

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

so i only have one 'audio out' on the back of this tv and its a digital optical out.

if i go buy an optical cable for this to plug into my receiver, will it be putting out audio? im still coming in straight from the wall through the coaxial on the back of the tv, no comcast box.

#15 PA Tim

PA Tim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

That's how mine is set up. Optical audio out from TV to receiver. Then turn off the TV speakers if you wish. The coax and HDMI cables supply both audio and video input, so you shouldn't have to worry about any separate audio cables other than the one optical cable.
My Shelties: Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey http://www.dogster.com/dogs/520236

#16 Evil Yoda

Evil Yoda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40,375 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

as to why comcast does not know about it is because many of those that work for comcast does not understand the technology.

Comcast does not train their people very well. If you call five times about a problem you will probably get five different answers. Often what one person says will contradict what the previous person told you. Do not rely on anything that anyone there tells you. I just went through a tedious process related to my having moved; I am speaking from experience. If FIOS was available here, I'd likely drop Comcast, since everyone I know who has FIOS seems to really like it.
Government ~ Bailouts

"Nature, time, and patience are the three great physicians. Still, it might be time to consult Dr. Feldman about the grapefruit-sized growth hanging from the side of your throat.
"

#17 MisterGQ

MisterGQ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,550 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:59 PM

Comcast does not train their people very well. If you call five times about a problem you will probably get five different answers. Often what one person says will contradict what the previous person told you. Do not rely on anything that anyone there tells you. I just went through a tedious process related to my having moved; I am speaking from experience. If FIOS was available here, I'd likely drop Comcast, since everyone I know who has FIOS seems to really like it.

Completely agree.

Fios is unbelievable. My only complaint is that FIOS is part of Verizon. If I could get FIOS with another company (and assuming that company was not Comcast), I would.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]