Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
May 21st 2011

May 21st, 2011: Judgment Day

500 posts in this topic

Harold Camping lets out a hearty chuckle when he considers the people who believe the world will end in 2012.

"That date has not one stitch of biblical authority," Camping says from the Oakland office where he runs Family Radio, an evangelical station that reaches listeners around the world. "It's like a fairy tale."

The real date for the end of times, he says, is in 2011.

The Mayans and the recent Hollywood movie "2012" have put the apocalypse in the popular mind this year, but Camping has been at this business for a long time. And while Armageddon is pop science or big-screen entertainment to many, Camping has followers from the Bay Area to China.

Camping, 88, has scrutinized the Bible for almost 70 years and says he has developed a mathematical system to interpret prophecies hidden within the Good Book. One night a few years ago, Camping, a civil engineer by trade, crunched the numbers and was stunned at what he'd found: The world will end May 21, 2011.

"We are now translated into 48 languages and have been transmitting into China on an AM station without getting jammed once," Camping said. "How can that happen without God's mercy?"

His office is flanked by satellite dishes in the parking lot that transmit his talk show, "Open Forum." In the Bay Area, he's heard on 610 AM, KEAR. Camping says his company owns about 55 stations in the United States alone, and that his message arrives on every continent.

Employees at the Oakland office run printing presses that publish Camping's pamphlets and books, and some wear T-shirts that read, "May 21, 2011." They're happy to talk about the day they believe their souls will be retrieved by Christ.

"I'm looking forward to it," said Ted Solomon, 60, who started listening to Camping in 1997. He's worked at Family Radio since 2004, making sure international translators properly dictate Camping's sermons.

"This world may have had an attraction to me at one time," Solomon said. "But now it's definitely lost its appeal."

Camping is a frail-looking man, and his voice is low and deep, but it can rise to dramatic peaks with a preacher's flair.

As a young man, he owned an East Bay construction business but longed to work as a servant of God. So he hit the books.

"Because I was an engineer, I was very interested in the numbers," he said. "I'd wonder, 'Why did God put this number in, or that number in?' It was not a question of unbelief, it was a question of, 'There must be a reason for it.' "

Code-breaking phenomenon

Camping is not the only man to see truths in the Bible hidden in the numbers. In the late 1990s, a code-breaking phenomenon took off, led by "The Bible Code," written by former Washington Post journalist Michael Drosnin.

Drosnin developed a technique that revealed prophecies within the Bible's text. A handful of biblical scholars have supported Drosnin's theory, lending it an air of legitimacy, and just as many scholars have decried it as farce.

One of Drosnin's more well-known findings is that a meteor will strike Earth in 2012, the same year some people believe the Mayan calendar marks the end of times, and the same year the "2012" action movie surmised the Earth's crust will destabilize and kill most humans.

Meaning in numbers

By Camping's understanding, the Bible was dictated by God and every word and number carries a spiritual significance. He noticed that particular numbers appeared in the Bible at the same time particular themes are discussed.

The number 5, Camping concluded, equals "atonement." Ten is "completeness." Seventeen means "heaven." Camping patiently explained how he reached his conclusion for May 21, 2011.

"Christ hung on the cross April 1, 33 A.D.," he began. "Now go to April 1 of 2011 A.D., and that's 1,978 years."

Camping then multiplied 1,978 by 365.2422 days - the number of days in each solar year, not to be confused with a calendar year.

Next, Camping noted that April 1 to May 21 encompasses 51 days. Add 51 to the sum of previous multiplication total, and it equals 722,500.

Camping realized that (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) = 722,500.

Or put into words: (Atonement x Completeness x Heaven), squared.

"Five times 10 times 17 is telling you a story," Camping said. "It's the story from the time Christ made payment for your sins until you're completely saved.

"I tell ya, I just about fell off my chair when I realized that," Camping said.

James Kreuger, author of "Secrets of the Apocalypse - Revealed," has been studying the end of times for 40 years and is familiar with Camping's work. While Kreuger agrees that the rapture is indeed coming, he disputes Camping's method.

By Justin Berton, Staff Writer for the San Francisco Chronicle.

Camping's materials are available for review at http://www.familyradio.com (Literature online section)

The bible is very clear. Jesus himself said no one shall know the day of his return. Any Christian who spouts something that differs with that is engaging in blasphemy.

I wish I had a dollar for every guy claiming he has some mathematical system to figure out the end of the world.

Right..and the previous numbers from crunching them were:

About 30 CE: The Christian Scriptures (New Testament), when interpreted literally, appear to record many predictions by Jeshua of Nazareth (Jesus Christ) that God's Kingdom would arrive within a very short period, or was actually in the process of arriving. For example, Jesus is recorded as saying in Matthew 16:28: "...there shall be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." In Matthew 24:34, Yeshua is recorded as saying: "...This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." Since the life expectancy in those days was little over 30 years, Jesus appears to have predicted his second coming sometime during the 1st century CE. It didn't happen. More details.

About 60 CE: Interpreting the Epistles of Paul of Tarsus literally, his writings seem to imply that Jesus would return and usher in a rapture during the lifetime of persons who were living in the middle of the 1st century. More details.

About 90 CE: Saint Clement 1 predicted that the world end would occur at any moment.

2nd Century CE: Prophets and Prophetesses of the Montanist movement predicted that Jesus would return sometime during their lifetime and establish the New Jerusalem in the city of Pepuza in Asia Minor.

365 CE: A man by the name of Hilary of Poitiers, announced that the end would happen that year. It didn't.

375 to 400 CE: Saint Martin of Tours, a student of Hilary, was convinced that the end would happen sometime before 400 CE.

500 CE: This was the first year-with-a-nice-round-number-panic. The antipope Hippolytus and an earlier Christian academic Sextus Julius Africanus had predicted Armageddon at about this year.

968 CE: An eclipse was interpreted as a prelude to the end of the world by the army of the German emperor Otto III.

992: Good Friday coincided with the Feast of the Annunciation; this had long been believed to be the event that would bring forth the Antichrist, and thus the end-times events foretold in the book of Revelation. Records from Germany report that a new sun rose in the north and that as many as 3 suns and 3 moons were fighting. There does not appear to be independent verification of this remarkable event.

1000-JAN-1: Many Christians in Europe had predicted the end of the world on this date. As the date approached, Christian armies waged war against some of the Pagan countries in Northern Europe. The motivation was to convert them all to Christianity, by force if necessary, before Christ returned in the year 1000. Meanwhile, some Christians had given their possessions to the Church in anticipation of the end. Fortunately, the level of education was so low that many citizens were unaware of the year. They did not know enough to be afraid. Otherwise, the panic might have been far worse than it was. Unfortunately, when Jesus did not appear, the church did not return the gifts. Serious criticism of the Church followed. The Church reacted by exterminating some heretics. Agitation settled down quickly, as it later did in the year 2000.

1000-MAY: The body of Charlemagne was disinterred on Pentecost. A legend had arisen that an emperor would rise from his sleep to fight the Antichrist.

1005-1006: A terrible famine throughout Europe was seen as a sign of the nearness of the end.

1033: Some believed this to be the 1000th anniversary of the death and resurrection of Jesus. His second coming was anticipated. Jesus' actual date of execution is unknown, but is believed to be in the range of 27 to 33 CE.

1147: Gerard of Poehlde decided that the millennium had actually started in 306 CE during Constantine's reign. Thus, the world end was expected in 1306 CE.

etc...

(see http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl2.htm for a bigger list..there are plenty of others)

Dang. I thought I had another couple of years. Better start putting my things in order.

http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/outreach/tracts/may21/

With biblical evidence and assorted jibber-jabber.

Is it wrong to laugh at these folks?

One can laugh at these folks, because their belief is premised on a false assumption. But better to feel sorry for these folks and fear them because they may do anything when they think that the end of the world is nigh.

My brother belives in the rapture with all his heart. It hurts me to see his delusion but that didn't stop me from asking him for his house when he is raptured into heaven. Needless to say I received a cool reception. :D

But no one would be happier than me if it were all true. We'd finally be rid of that jackass in the Whitehouse.

Where is the evidence that the rapture is "delusional"....??? Your brother is safer believing in the rapture...because if he's right...you are going to be in Hades forever...while your brother goes straight to Heaven....you might find your brother is not delusional...if you pick up the Bible and actually read it....liberals will be laughing all the way to hell...and it's by choice...than you will have them all spend eternity laughing at the delusional brother who sits in paradise...while you sit in eternal torment....and hell is full of delusional people who never believed in hell. Of course..the Bible states that in the last days...there will be people purposefully ignorant...should anyone not belive in hell...just die tonight...without belief in Jesus Christ...and that's exactly where you will find yourself...by choice.

Do not forget your dog. http://eternal-earthbound-pets.com/

This is tricky. I have one cat, his name is Cat, who is 17 or 18 years old. What are the chances he'll last to the rapture. He's otherwise healthy, but I fear his soul may note be saved.

Now that I think of it, how can I go wrong dropping $110 ?

Why bother having an opinion about them one way or another? They believe what they believe. I'm fairly certain that you're not being impacted.

Where is the evidence that the rapture is "delusional"....??? Your brother is safer believing in the rapture...because if he's right...you are going to be in Hades forever...while your brother goes straight to Heaven....you might find your brother is not delusional...if you pick up the Bible and actually read it....liberals will be laughing all the way to hell...and it's by choice...than you will have them all spend eternity laughing at the delusional brother who sits in paradise...while you sit in eternal torment....and hell is full of delusional people who never believed in hell. Of course..the Bible states that in the last days...there will be people purposefully ignorant...should anyone not belive in hell...just die tonight...without belief in Jesus Christ...and that's exactly where you will find yourself...by choice.

LOL There is no Hell. Get real. Such a notion is Antithetical to the notion of God. If you believe in God then Hell cannot exist.

Here's the logic. If God is all knowing, all wise and all loving, then the concept of hell negates one of God major characteristics.

Also, if we Humans can forgive the most henious of crimes then God must therefore forgive all henious crimes and sins. If he doesn't then Human beings are better than Him and thus his Godhood is false.

Of course there is always the possibility that God is a crotchety superbeing with Hemrroids who doesn't deserve our worship.

I've never heard of this group, but they sound a lot like Harold Camping who has predicted the end of the world, but the Bible says no one will know what day that is.

No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.” (Matt. 24:36-37)

As I say

You cant consign me to your version of hell

because I dont believe in your particular version of God.

As I say

You cant consign me to your version of hell

because I dont believe in your particular version of God.

But, would you bet your pet's eternity on it?:D

....liberals will be laughing all the way to hell...and it's by choice...than you will have them all spend eternity laughing at the delusional brother who sits in paradise...

Why do you assume all liberals reject Jesus Christ and his teachings? In fact, Jesus Christ's teachings and his lifestyle would be rejected by most who consider themselves conservative today. Jesus wouldn't be a model member of most Christian Churches and would be received very cooly, if at all. Before judging all liberals as hell-bound devil worshippers, it would be wise to look within and ask yourself how you feel about the living Christ instead of the one portrayed by humans who have twisted him to be more like what they wish than what he is.

A religion based on fear, retribution and death. You better believe or else !!!

I for one do not believe that god needs anything from me in order to be happy...if he/she/it does well that's just too bad. God will just have to be happy without my worship and adoration.

But, would you bet your pet's eternity on it?:D

sure he will never be able to complain to me

I've never heard of this group, but they sound a lot like Harold Camping who has predicted the end of the world, but the Bible says no one will know what day that is.

No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.” (Matt. 24:36-37)

Great post and it is true that no one will know the exact hour or date. The atheists on this board better hope that they have this "God" thing right or they may have a very long time to think about the mistake in their beliefs.

If they are right ( which they are not) then we really do not lose anything since God does not exist anyway.

Believing something doesn't make it true. On the other hand, not believing something doesn't make it not true. Your belief is irrelevant as to whether or not something exists.

A religion based on fear, retribution and death. You better believe or else !!!

I for one do not believe that god needs anything from me in order to be happy...if he/she/it does well that's just too bad. God will just have to be happy without my worship and adoration.

My thoughts exactly. An all knowing and loving god would not be a fear monger. And furthermore, nothing in God's creation can oppose his will. So this whole concept of a devil kinda fails, too.

http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/outreach/tracts/may21/

With biblical evidence and assorted jibber-jabber.

Is it wrong to laugh at these folks?

Isn't this stuff their business.

I tend not to criticize the details of one's religion unless they intend to infringe on my rights or geee, I don't know.... BLOW US UP.

I'm just sayin'.

This is a 0.5 on a 10 scale regarding problems with religion.