Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terp52

So This is Representative Government?

26 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bal-md.wine08feb08,0,5827015.story

Most Maryland lawmakers, a swath of Democrats and Republicans from across the state, want adults to be able to have bottles of wine shipped to their homes, something that's legal in 37 other states. When it was filed last week, a bill repealing the quarter-century-old direct-shipping ban included the signatures of 106 of the 188 state legislators.

You'd think that would do the job, right? Petitions are set up to support wine (and beer) to be shipped to MD. But no. Sen. Conway knows what is best for us. But the proposal, as in years past, "is not going anywhere," according to the leader of the Senate committee that determines its fate.

Sen. Joan Carter Conway, a Baltimore Democrat and chairwoman of the Education, Health and Environmental Affairs Committee, said she has too many concerns to bring the bill up for a vote, though six of the nine committee members are co-sponsors.

"Conceptually, it's a good thing," Conway said of the proposal. "There are a few things I'm hung up on, and I don't think those can all be resolved this year."

So there you have it. Sen. Conway is "hung up" on a few issues. Like perhaps the fact that her husband is a liquor inspector in the city. So in a state that is struggling for money, Sen. Conway has found yet another way to screw both businesses that wish to send alcohol to Marylanders as well as those state brewers and growers that look for internet sales to boost profit.

It works in 37 other states, but Joan still has some concerns - enough to dismiss the rest of the states wishes.

For full disclosure, I am not a representative for any company or organization. Unlike Joan Conway, I am not in the pocket of the liquor distributors that strangle the market. I happen to like beer and wine and do not like the idea that a petition I signed at a local beer festival is just dismissed without cause. I also watched "Beer Wars" during the snowstorm and got a good look at how government and special interest combine to shut out businesses that challenge the status. The poor bastard at Dogfish Head Brewing in Delaware is putting up a good fight against the Big 3 and their lobbies.

You should all call Joan and let her know that her hang ups and conflicts are not our ******* problem. And when it comes time - vote all these lousy politicians out of office. This is just another example of how they do not represent us, they believe they control us.

Teens are gonna be ordering Merlot from Paso Robles?

That or Sierra Nevada's Torpedo. Kids will no longer resort to paying a bum or college student to buy their bottles of wine (do you even believe this) when they can order it online and wait a week or two to get it. Perfect sense. USPS and UPS can require that the person ordering the liquor be present when it is dropped off and show ID over 21. Now they have no problem passing a law that could require a cop to determine if someone is smoking inside their car with a child under 9 inside, but somehow this one has Conway hung up.

Never underestimate the power of the great Nanny State....or the overwhelming influence of the liquor lobby...throw in the pompous stupidity and obvious conflict of interest of Ms. Conway and again the majority of the hard working tax paying law abiding citizens won't be able to order gift baskets with wine, or get a few bottles of the stuff we found on vacation nor will the wonderful local wineries be able to expand their market and their businesses....Hey as long as the Grape Ripple is still available in her district she has nothing to worry about

There are a few things I'm hung up on, and I don't think those can all be resolved this year."

I would like to know what the things are.. Most bills get piggy backs and this one may, may have a few on there that leave loop holes... I can think of far better bills/issues that deserve time for debate on the floor over liquor being delivered......:rolleyes:

I would like to know what the things are.. Most bills get piggy backs and this one may, may have a few on there that leave loop holes... I can think of far better bills/issues that deserve time for debate on the floor over liquor being delivered......:rolleyes:

You know that if there were a tax or fee attached to it, she would be voting for this in a heartbeat.

You know that if there were a tax or fee attached to it, she would be voting for this in a heartbeat.

Perhaps, I don't know much about her to be honest.

I live in Conaway's district and have no idea what grape ripple is. I suspect that AnnE's post #5 is typical Sunspot racist BS. If all you have to offer is hate, sarcasm, and thinly veiled racism, STFU. Oh, wait, that would silence the entire GOP, wouldn't it?

The bill should be attached to a measure which doubles Maryland's alcohol excise taxes. They have been virtually untouched for half a century.

I live in Conaway's district and have no idea what grape ripple is. I suspect that AnnE's post #5 is typical Sunspot racist BS. If all you have to offer is hate, sarcasm, and thinly veiled racism, STFU. Oh, wait, that would silence the entire GOP, wouldn't it?

The bill should be attached to a measure which doubles Maryland's alcohol excise taxes. They have been virtually untouched for half a century.

Whoa, Captain Overreactor! Do you think it really helps African Americans and real instances of racism when you cry "racist" when one merely disagrees?:(

That tactic isn't helping Barry much, now is it?

Geez, get off your crutch and stop throwing baseless charges behind your keyboard.

So this:

"as long as the Grape Ripple is still available in her district she has nothing to worry about"

-- constitutes a statement of disagreement? Disagreement with what? From this statement I glean that AnnE feels that the residents of Conaway's district don't care about anything except the availability of "grape ripple." What message, exactly, am I supposed to take away from that?

I repeat: sounds like more racist Sunspot BS to me. Don't want to be called a racist? Stop saying that the (mostly black) residents of Conaway's district only care about the availability of cheap fortified wine.

(I googled it.)

I live in Conaway's district and have no idea what grape ripple is. I suspect that AnnE's post #5 is typical Sunspot racist BS.

If you have no idea what grape ripple is then what is it in AnnE's post that makes you suspect that she's a racist?

I've had beer delivered, not knowing it was illegal in Maryland. My In-laws signed me up for a beer of the month club and the UPS guy wouldn't deliver it unless I was there.

This is a no-brainer and there is no rational reason why wine and beer can't be shipped from out of state.

For the record I'm a registered Democrat....and Grape Ripple was the cheap wine of choice that we white and black teenage hoodlums used to mix with the grain alcohol and Hawaiian punch..Colt 45 never did much for my tastebuds..nor the other girls...we didn't wait for mail order...we had older brothers :) So blocking mail order wine will not cut down on teenage drinking as long as there are liquor stores and friends with unlocked cabinets...however as I've aged considerably since then...I have developed a taste for a nice rich red...but God forbid I should want another bottle of that stuff from Ohio or Virginia or New York that isn't a big enough winery for the MD liquor mafia to stock...

but hey...my older brother lives in Virginia so, life is still good :) just don't open the bottle bro...till I get there!!!

Losing out on the extra tax revenue must not be the problem. You can get wines delivered to MD as long as the wine is not sold there.

I am a republican, clownpants, and if you knew me would know your statement is pathetic. Don't match one dumb statement with an equally ignorant one of your own.

reading the actual article may help: Adam Borden, director of Marylanders for Better Beer and Wine Laws, a lobbying group, said direct shipping would generate about $1.5 million per year in state and excise taxes.

So when you go to the ballot remember this: All 188 lawmakers and Gov. Martin O'Malley, a Democrat, are up for election this fall, further imperiling the wine-shipping bill. According to a 2008 analysis by The Baltimore Sun, more than 80 percent of state legislators have received campaign contributions from the liquor lobby.

One more time. Average MD citizen goes to a Wine Festival in Balto.Co. He/she finds a great wine made in Elkton, Calvert Co. or the Eastern Shore. You love it and want to buy more but do not have the space or money to make the purchase right then and there. Because they do not produce mass quantities of the wine they can't get it on most shelves in liquor stores. And because of this system, you can't simply go online and order it when you have the time and cash. Or if you wished to send some as a gift. So MD businesses lose out. The same businesses we gave tax credits to grow wine instead of tobacco. The same start up companies that Obama touts as people that put workers back into the game. So who loses? You, me, the business owners. But that doesn't bother Joan, her liquor board husband, or the liquor lobbies that hold our politicians by the short hairs. Pathetic, and just a small piece of what is wrong with our system. These scumbags JUST DON"T CARE about us. It's a cycle of greed and corruption that oozes through every pore of them. So even if this fails, please, please take the time to vote them out of office. Comfort does nothing but feather their beds.

This means so much to me when I can't get my street plowed for 4 days:rolleyes:

The other problem, she said, is that it is difficult for state officials to collect taxes from out-of-state entities - or penalize faraway violators.

Other states manage to do this.

It's about distributors wanting to keep their state-mandated monopoly. That is, after all, what liquor boards are for, as Bruce Bereano certainly knows.

Me, I'd like to see ordering wine by individuals made legal. I see some fine offers out there, open only to residents of other states.

If the sponsors of the bill can't get it to the floor, them vote their ineffective asses out!:rolleyes:

If the sponsors of the bill can't get it to the floor, them vote their ineffective asses out!:rolleyes:

That's the spirit! Call or email these simpletons and let them know you are watching.

How is it possible that Conway can keep this from going to a vote? This is a clear conflict of interest with her husband working as a liquor inspector! She needs to turn this over to someone that can be completely objective.....ohh but that is not possible in the great free state of Maryland where the liquor lobby contributes ( pays off) most of our politicians. Her real concern is the money. VOTE HER OUT!

How is it possible that Conway can keep this from going to a vote? This is a clear conflict of interest with her husband working as a liquor inspector! She needs to turn this over to someone that can be completely objective.....ohh but that is not possible in the great free state of Maryland where the liquor lobby contributes ( pays off) most of our politicians. Her real concern is the money. VOTE HER OUT!

The same way it's possible to keep many gun rights bills from being voted on. A commitee chair shoves it in a desk drawer, and that's the end of it.

As close to a monarchy as you can get without having one.

She's representing the people that paid her off, the liquor lobby.

Her hero is Nancy Popalosy, except she doesn't have a clown grin.

She jumped up and down so much during the Presidents State of the Union address, she developed a case of hemorrhoids.