Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest JoeRoss578

Do you think it's OK to park in a spot that someone dug out?

Is it OK to park in a spot that someone else dug out?   113 members have voted

1. 1. Is it OK to park in a spot that someone else dug out?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

519 posts in this topic

OK, so the thread I started about a car that parked in the spot that I dug out was deleted. For the record, I knew that my Facebook profile was public. There's nothing on there that I'm worried about people finding out. A lot of you really surprised me though with your comments. So, I figured I'd ask: Do you think it's acceptable to park in a spot that someone else cleared out?

I don't understand how one can think that they should be able to park in a spot that someone else dug out. The streets are horrible, and it takes a lot of work to dig your car out. Isn't it common sense to dig your car out and use that spot out of common courtesy to your neighbors?

OK, so the thread I started about a car that parked in the spot that I dug out was deleted. For the record, I knew that my Facebook profile was public. There's nothing on there that I'm worried about people finding out. A lot of you really surprised me though with your comments. So, I figured I'd ask: Do you think it's acceptable to park in a spot that someone else cleared out?

I don't understand how one can think that they should be able to park in a spot that someone else dug out. The streets are horrible, and it takes a lot of work to dig your car out. Isn't it common sense to dig your car out and use that spot out of common courtesy to your neighbors?

I had my wife drive me to my doctor appintment today because parking is always tight. She parked in the alley and stayed with the car partially to avoid parking in a spot that had just been cleared .I am glad I did not have to decide whether to miss my appointment or park in such a spot. Thanks to my wife's going out of her way to help out this morning.

City of Hyattsville i has some positive advice during the snow emergency

http://www.hyattsville.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=168

3. PARKING AND DRIVING

Please do not shovel snow onto the street. We realize there is a huge amount of snow to move, but keeping streets clear for emergencies is a priority.If you clear a parking space, please clear all the way to the curb. As snow accumulates, cars often end up parked farther and farther from the curb. On many City streets, this can block access for plows.Most importantly, should you need to drive, please exercise caution, courtesy and respect for other drivers and emergency personnel on the streets. Accidentsare a very real concern right now, and road conditions may deteriorate quickly.

4. DIGGING OUT

Eventually, the snow will stop! (We promise.) Please keep an eye out for your neighbors and if you are able, consider lending a hand to the elderly or those with disabilities. You might also consider shoveling for residents who may be away. With flights canceled across the region, many of our neighbors cannot return home.You can also help by clearing snow and ice from the storm drains on your street. (They're marked with green and blue medallions.)If there's a fire hydrant on your block, dig out around that, too.Should you have any energy left, consider shoveling out the intersections around the local schools. Parents all over the area are probably more than ready to get their kids back to the books!Do exercise caution and take breaks when you work outside. The combination of physical labor and cold weather can be hazardous.

I think I am happy not to live in a world where that is an issue.

I have a long driveway and my one spot.

?

Was it deleted upon your request or did a mod take it upon themselves to "protect" you?

I was wondering when a thread like this would pop up again.

I feel the same now as I did in December

NO

I move tons of snow to clear my driveway. Thankfully, I have an Airens 1660 snow blower. I can't imagine the bickering your city folk go through although I was a city dweller some 14 years ago. Leaving that sheet hole of Baltimore was the best thing I ever did.

I think I am happy not to live in a world where that is an issue.

I have a long driveway and my one spot.

I always seem to have at least one of my doctors whose office is in a residential neighborhood and no designated parking places for his customers.

In looking for our house we didn't look at houses with no private driveway. During a snowstorm or flood is a good time to go house hunting not a bad time as some think.

Was it deleted upon your request or did a mod take it upon themselves to "protect" you?

I'm pretty sure a mod took it down to "protect" me. That's fine; I understand and respect his or her decision to do so. In the thread, people made a big deal about the fact that they could tell which company I worked for, the name of my wife, etc. and implied that I was not aware I made that information public, which is far from the case.

City of Hyattsville i has some positive advice during the snow emergency

http://www.hyattsville.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=168

3. PARKING AND DRIVING

Please do not shovel snow onto the street. We realize there is a huge amount of snow to move, but keeping streets clear for emergencies is a priority.If you clear a parking space, please clear all the way to the curb. As snow accumulates, cars often end up parked farther and farther from the curb. On many City streets, this can block access for plows.Most importantly, should you need to drive, please exercise caution, courtesy and respect for other drivers and emergency personnel on the streets. Accidentsare a very real concern right now, and road conditions may deteriorate quickly.

4. DIGGING OUT

Eventually, the snow will stop! (We promise.) Please keep an eye out for your neighbors and if you are able, consider lending a hand to the elderly or those with disabilities. You might also consider shoveling for residents who may be away. With flights canceled across the region, many of our neighbors cannot return home.You can also help by clearing snow and ice from the storm drains on your street. (They're marked with green and blue medallions.)If there's a fire hydrant on your block, dig out around that, too.Should you have any energy left, consider shoveling out the intersections around the local schools. Parents all over the area are probably more than ready to get their kids back to the books!Do exercise caution and take breaks when you work outside. The combination of physical labor and cold weather can be hazardous.

BTW, just to clarify, the snow that I put back onto that car came primarily from the street...just in a different location. The car that was parked in front of that vehicle will have a slightly easier time shoveling the remainder of the snow away from his or her vehicle. None of the snow that I originally cleaned off of my car went into the street.

Thankfully I haven't had to leave the spot that I labored over, however when I do I intend to leave a couple of chairs out to mark it. I'll vandalize any car that takes my spot, let's face it, this is Baltimore and there's zero chance the cops will catch me if I quickly smash a couple of windows.

I see some people already voted yes...I would like to hear your opinions on this...

Yesterday at work, a customer of mine was telling me how he and his son cleared out their 3 vehicles. They live in an apartment complex.

The father took his truck up to get his wife so his daughter could take her to the doctor in their mini-van.

In those few minutes, some dirtbag former city dweller pulled right into his spot.

When the father said "hey, move that car or you will regret it" or something like that the guy laughed and walked away.

The daughter took the mother to the doctor appointment while the father and the son spent some quality father/son time BURYING the guy's car under about 4 feet of snow. On top, in front, and on the sides.

Karma..got to love it!

Thankfully I haven't had to leave the spot that I labored over, however when I do I intend to leave a couple of chairs out to mark it. I'll vandalize any car that takes my spot, let's face it, this is Baltimore and there's zero chance the cops will catch me if I quickly smash a couple of windows.

Although violent thoughts went through my mind, I figured this was the most mature way to send a message that would have no problem being understood by the recipient...

BTW, just to clarify, the snow that I put back onto that car came primarily from the street...just in a different location. The car that was parked in front of that vehicle will have a slightly easier time shoveling the remainder of the snow away from his or her vehicle. None of the snow that I originally cleaned off of my car went into the street.
Good to hear . Its a big problem in some areas such as Hyattsville I have been taking the snow out of the street because I know If I don't the plow will push it and block my drive way. I just hate the salt going onto my lawn.

Yesterday at work, a customer of mine was telling me how he and his son cleared out their 3 vehicles. They live in an apartment complex.

The father took his truck up to get his wife so his daughter could take her to the doctor in their mini-van.

In those few minutes, some dirtbag former city dweller pulled right into his spot.

When the father said "hey, move that car or you will regret it" or something like that the guy laughed and walked away.

The daughter took the mother to the doctor appointment while the father and the son spent some quality father/son time BURYING the guy's car under about 4 feet of snow. On top, in front, and on the sides.

Karma..got to love it!

Basically, that's what I did (although only the front half of the car as it was just me), and some posters implied that I was immature and acted like a child...

I had my wife drive me to my doctor appintment today because parking is always tight. She parked in the alley and stayed with the car partially to avoid parking in a spot that had just been cleared .I am glad I did not have to decide whether to miss my appointment or park in such a spot. Thanks to my wife's going out of her way to help out this morning.

John:

You did the right thing. It's a matter of courtesy not to park in a spot dug out by someone who is usually the one who lives there.

At the very least, if someone parks there for a brief time, they should leave a note on the windshield where they will be.

When I used to live in an apartment someone parked in my spot that I dug out. It's not illegal, but you'd have to be a real POS to do that. I can't understand why anyone would think it's OK to do this. But there are a lot of stupid people out there that are lazy and want everyone else to work for them.

Basically, that's what I did (although only the front half of the car as it was just me), and some posters implied that I was immature and acted like a child...

Dude....it was childish. Again, if you are parked on a public street, you are not entitled to have that spot. If you want reserved parking, purchase a home with a driveway and garage. And we haven't addressed the possible body damage you did to this vehicle. Grow up man. I would have been a little upset if I struggled to dig out a spot and someone took it but that does not give me license to take it to another level. What's the next step...this person comes out, is told who did this to him and then proceeds to bash your head in? Come on man

Karma..got to love it!

While having empathy for the frustration ..... what happens if the parking spot thief comes back right away goes to his glove compartment gets a gun and blows away the father and son.

This is sort off on topic. But it still deals with the snowstorm...

I had an incident yesterday where I was driving up a hill that had room for only one car. I was about 50% of the way up when some woman starts her decent from the opposite direction down the hill. We met about 75% of the way up the hill and of course a traffic jam ensued. I had about 6-8 cars behind me. She had cars behind her, but since we were closer to the top most of the people behind her turned around and went back the other way.

The outrage here...

1. This woman got out of her car and wanted everyone on my side to backdown the hill.

2. Her car wasn't even 4 wheel drive. It was all wheel drive. but still not the best for the conditions.

3. She was afraid to back her car up so a total stranger had to do it.

My questions is... can't some people drive in these conditions with COMMON SENSE??? It never even occured to her to not start her decent down the hill until the path was clear.

I help several families in the City that are elderly and/or do not have transportation. If I find a cleared space, I take it. At times I am there for several hours. You think I'm going to shovel another space for myself when one is clear? Get a grip. Karma is a biotch, for real.

And I don't mind posting again that if you were my son, I would hose your car down. I'm sure your Mom and Dad would be proud.

You dig yourself out, not in.

Okay, two different scenarios.

There was a parking spot at my university when I moved back in after the storm. I dug it out and cleared the snow so I could park there. I dug myself IN. is it my spot now?

Same with my house. I went home to help my parents shovel their snow. There was an open spot noone had parked in, so I dug out the snow, and parked there. Since I dig up a spot to park IN, is it my spot permanently? Even if I may not come back?

I hear this saying sometimes, but I don't get it. You dig yourself out, and that alone should be reason not to take someones spot. I would never park somewhere in which I know someone took 2-3 hours digging up.....

This is sort off on topic. But it still deals with the snowstorm...

I had an incident yesterday where I was driving up a hill that had room for only one car. I was about 50% of the way up when some woman starts her decent from the opposite direction down the hill. We met about 75% of the way up the hill and of course a traffic jam ensued. I had about 6-8 cars behind me. She had cars behind her, but since we were closer to the top most of the people behind her turned around and went back the other way.

The outrage here...

1. This woman got out of her car and wanted everyone on my side to backdown the hill.

2. Her car wasn't even 4 wheel drive. It was all wheel drive. but still not the best for the conditions.

3. She was afraid to back her car up so a total stranger had to do it.

My questions is... can't some people drive in these conditions with COMMON SENSE??? It never even occured to her to not start her decent down the hill until the path was clear.

Easy answer: No. :)