111 replies to this topic

#1 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,257 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

I was walking along E. 33rd Street near Union Memorial Hospital today, looking for signs of spring. Much of the snow had melted on the north side of the street, and I could see those little blue flowers that grow in the grass--what are they called? Also I saw one crocus in bloom.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#2 segram99

segram99

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,765 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:57 PM

Wow, crocus already, that is a good sign...

We had a large flock of red wing blackbirds out in the yard eating the cracked corn I threw out for the birds. That is a good sign...

Also hearing the Great Horned Owl talking back and forth out back in the woods is another. I think I read one time that this is the time of year they mate...

Come on April!!!
Either you decide to stay in the shallow end of the pool or you go out in the ocean.

Christopher Reeve (1952-2004)

#3 MrRational

MrRational

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

does shopping for an RV count?
"The power of accurate observation is called cynicism by those who have not got it." --GB Shaw
The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. (Joseph Joubert)
"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on." --Winston Churchill

#4 ch24

ch24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

My deck is dry. Except for where the roof is still melting. I shoveled the entire thing, dried out the rug and dog's bed, wiped down the chairs, and got the hammock ready.

Bring on SUMMER!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "Wouldn't take much for me to up and run.....to another life somewhere in the sun....."-Kenny Chesney

#5 Circe

Circe

Solidarity Forever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:48 AM

I do see the very early beginnings of buds on my purple leaf plum tree. Twenty-seven days until the first day of Spring :)

Tree buds form in late summer, usually about August.

#6 Aquanewt

Aquanewt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,548 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:34 AM

Blue things in the grass in Baltimore? Discarded 'crack vial' tops
"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges."

#7 Aga

Aga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,034 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:00 AM

I am hearing the birds of Spring sing in the mornings...

“Any man can hold her hand, only the elite can hold her feet" - Sole Man

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I Dream of Peace" - LeRoy Bell

"This machine surrounds hate and causes it to surrender" - Pete Seeger

#8 jadedsue

jadedsue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

before the dual blizzard affair, i had seen some daffodils poking up when i was in Canton for lunch. i hope they get uncovered soon.

#9 Ravenchamp

Ravenchamp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,681 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:38 AM

Patio Furniture is appearing in many stores, as well as spring clothes and swim suits
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.
The average response time of a .357 magnum is 1400 Feet Per Second

You Choose

#10 kiladyu

kiladyu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,998 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:16 AM

My daffs and crocus are struggling through the snow. It's good sign.
Semper flamma fumo proxima

. . .o
. . /L
=()>()

#11 lostmyway

lostmyway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

I walked through Home Deport yesterday and just hung around the lawn mowers and the seed area. Therapy.

#12 jadedsue

jadedsue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

just got back from my mother's and the doves are starting to stake out nesting sites on her patio...

#13 Apexbud

Apexbud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:28 PM

I was at my place in West Virginia yesterday and the streams are moving, so something is melting. Saw a flock of robins the other day too!
"The mountains are calling and I must go."
John Muir

#14 Ravenchamp

Ravenchamp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66,681 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

I was at my place in West Virginia yesterday and the streams are moving, so something is melting. Saw a flock of robins the other day too!

that's nice to hear:) March is on our door step so any left over winter will be short lived.
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.
The average response time of a .357 magnum is 1400 Feet Per Second

You Choose

#15 newpoppop

newpoppop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

Another sure sign of Spring is people reclaining the lawn furniture they used to save their parking places. :D
Give me the strength to change the things I can, the grace to accept the things I cannot, and a great big bag of money.

#16 ch24

ch24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

I don't know what the temp is, but I was just out in shorts and a tank top and it's NICE out :D I've got the slider open and all. I love fresh air.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "Wouldn't take much for me to up and run.....to another life somewhere in the sun....."-Kenny Chesney

#17 jadedsue

jadedsue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

I don't know what the temp is, but I was just out in shorts and a tank top and it's NICE out :D I've got the slider open and all. I love fresh air.

where are you? i like fresh air too, but not yet. :eek::D

#18 PaintLady

PaintLady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,306 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

before the 5 foot snow dump...i saw little green things peeking out of the ground here at the new house. i can't wait to see what is planted here. oh my...i'm simply longing for spring. <<<<<sigh>>>>>
What happens when we're dead? The irony is that all our questions will be answered after we die. We spend our whole life trying to figure out the truth and the only way we'll find out what it is, is to get hit by a bus. And the only comfort for Christians is that God is driving that bus. - John Ryman

#19 ch24

ch24

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:56 PM

where are you? i like fresh air too, but not yet. :eek::D

LMAO Perry Hall. I had it open yesterday too, had to shut it around 7 though, started getting REAL cold lol.

The slider is at the southern end of the house, so it's way sunny. That area gets real warm all afternoon. So having the door open isn't bad.

#20 doglover

doglover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,067 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:41 PM

We had the windows halfway down in the car this afternoon. :)

The only difference between dreams and reality is purely desire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users