Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Chumash vs Torah vs Pentateuch vs Five Books of Moses

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 bootsy

bootsy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,600 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:56 PM

I thought long ago the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs had settled the matter. Glad I decided to see if things have changed recently given the great biblical discussions all over the globe and more scholarship on the Hebrew Language. They have changed a whole lot.
First of all the word "Chumash" doesn't exist on the site unless I don't spell it correctly.
However, I think quoting the site may explain it. Each of us probably will understand it differently.

I think it tries to give some real distinctions that exist in the 21st century according to many active forums all over the world. In the end it is dealing with Jewish Sacred Texts so the word Sacred tells all. It is not dealing with Bible. I do think it cleverly uses the word Pentateuch to explain some distinctions. I, myself, simply say "Gimme a Five" and Chumash means Five which is the equivalent of Pentateuch. The article in Wikipedia on this says there's no real study on this. For me, it's simply the same Hebrew text in different forms: Torah Scrolls, The Trope Trainer, On line texts, Bound books, the first Five books of every single Bible, the basis of Western Civilization today. The Muslim World children have yet to study it.
=====
House of Rep right now. Rep. Frank Wolf is saying that the Bible has more Middle Eastern geographical references than is realized. I can't believe this It's about a bill for promoting religious freedom. He's angry!! Halleluyah! Halleluyah! Halleluyah!! Oh, religious minorities in Iraq!!
==========
"The Torah

At the basis of all Jewish sacred texts is the Torah. In its most basic sense, the Torah is the Pentateuch - the five books of Moses, which tell the story of the Creation of the world, God's covenant with Abraham and his descendants, the Exodus from Egypt, the revelation at Mt. Sinai (where God enunciated the Ten Commandments), the wanderings of the Israelites in the desert, and a recapitulation of that experience shortly before the entrance to the Promised Land.

The principal message of the Torah is the absolute unity of God, His creation of the world and His concern for it, and His everlasting covenant with the people of Israel. The Pentateuch both embodies the heritage of the Jewish people - retelling its history, setting forth its guiding precepts and foretelling its destiny - and carries universal messages of monotheism and social conduct, which have had tremendous impact on western civilization. Thus, the Torah is also the origin of certain non-Jewish traditions, among them the recognition of the Sabbath as a day of rest.

Torah also signifies teaching. The Pentateuch itself uses the word Torah to denote a specific body of statutes; in this sense, Torah means "law," and is often so translated generally.

While Jewish tradition has throughout the centuries ascribed divine authorship to the Torah, many scholars and modern Jewish thinkers hold that the Torah was compiled incrementally by various authors over a long period of time, making it not only the shaper of Jewish history but also its product.
http://www.mfa.gov.i...sh Sacred Texts
Isaiah 42:8 I am YHWH, that is my name; my glory I give to no other,
nor my praise to idols.
Mechanical Arabic/Hebrew Quran ve-tikkun olam
WMI: NRSVWA