#1 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,000 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:32 AM

I guess we'll have to buy the book to find out

It started with a routine real-estate transaction. Few people noticed when Attorney W. Ashbie Hawkins bought the rowhouse at 1834 McCulloh St. on a rainy June Thursday in 1910, but three weeks later, Hawkins was big news. As The Baltimore Sun reported in a front-page story, Hawkins was black. The Sun's headline: NEGRO INVASION.

Hawkins' purchase, and the reaction that followed, set off the chain of events that cemented Baltimore's neighborhood segregation--by class, race, and religion--for the next century, according to Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City (Ivan R. Dee). The book, former Sun reporter Antero Pietila's first, was 10 years in the making, and it is packed with unflattering stories about such Baltimore icons as Joseph Meyerhoff (who wouldn't sell to Jews in his Roland Park development), James Rouse (before he was an integrationist, he went along to get along with prevailing racist real-estate rules), and Morris Goldseker (who amassed the $11 million fortune bequeathed to his eponymous foundation as a notorious blockbuster whose rent-to-own contracts bankrupted the African-Americans to which he sold).

According to the article, the Sun maintained separate classifications for real estate ads through the early 60s: Colored, Gentile, Jewish. The article also notes that segregation ordinances were written following Hawkin's purchase, although doesn't go into great detail. The focus of the book is on the blockbusting that went on as neighborhoods changed dramatically in a few years.

Not in My Neighborhood: How Bigotry Shaped a Great American City by Antero Pietila.

Edited by Baltimatt, 08 July 2012 - 06:00 AM.

Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#2 SonOf Scribbler

SonOf Scribbler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:40 AM

I think I'll wait til the movie comes out.

#3 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:20 AM

I think the book will be an interesting read. My parents bought their first house in the arly 60's, and we were the 2nd or 3rd black family on the street.

#4 detectivemoose

detectivemoose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:24 AM

I think the book will be an interesting read. My parents bought their first house in the arly 60's, and we were the 2nd or 3rd black family on the street.

Out of morbid curiousity what is the makeup of your neighborhood now??:confused:

#5 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

Out of morbid curiousity what is the makeup of your neighborhood now??:confused:

I would estimate its 99.9% black.

#6 skeemer

skeemer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:31 AM

lol @ that headline.

#7 Nunczka

Nunczka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:32 AM

I wonder why???;)

#8 BikesAreBetter

BikesAreBetter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

Another good read, Black Picket Fences: Privilege and Peril among the Black Middle Class by Mary Pattillo McCoy.

Great even read even if you are not a Sociologist..

#9 ybnormal

ybnormal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,359 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

Maybe someone needs to write a book about white flight and the reasons for it, including but not limited to the Baltimore riots of 1968, increasing drug infestation and the crime associated with it...rather than reading'seeing it everyday in/on the news.

Tit-for-Tat ;)

#10 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:38 AM

I wonder why???;)

I would attempt to answer the question if I thought you were sincerely interested in the answer. There is about a snowball's chance in hell that you are actually interested in a serious and rational discussion.

Edited by sigmalady, 17 March 2010 - 08:21 AM.

#11 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

Another good read, Black Picket Fences: Privilege and Peril among the Black Middle Class by Mary Pattillo McCoy.

Great even read even if you are not a Sociologist..

Thanks for the recommendation.

#12 genghiskhanraven

genghiskhanraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,324 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:42 AM

I think I'll wait til the movie comes out.

You can watch the TV show Mad Men to see what life was like 50 years ago, boy howdy have things changed.

The bigger question is why would neighborhoods turn into violent cesspools once one race of people move out and another move in?

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,791 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:48 AM

You can watch the TV show Mad Men to see what life was like 50 years ago, boy howdy have things changed.

The bigger question is why would neighborhoods turn into violent cesspools once one race of people move out and another move in?

Drugs that one race of people introduced to those neighborhoods to make money
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#14 skeemer

skeemer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

Marijuana, for starters, was outlawed because it was considered a "negro" drug. Care to provide evidence for your claims?

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,791 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:55 AM

Marijuana, for starters, was outlawed because it was considered a "negro" drug. Care to provide evidence for your claims?

Feel free to do your research and compare black neighborhoods in the 50's(pre-drugs) to black neighborhoods from the 60's on(drug era). I'm not doing your homework for you

#16 luv_big

luv_big

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,492 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by sigmalady

I wonder why???;)

The racists moved out.
“Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.”
– Herman Melville

#17 skeemer

skeemer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

Feel free to do your research and compare black neighborhoods in the 50's(pre-drugs) to black neighborhoods from the 60's on(drug era). I'm not doing your homework for you

Translation: I don't have evidence for my claims.

#18 luv_big

luv_big

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,492 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by genghiskhanraven

Byng-F-in-GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.”
– Herman Melville

#19 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

The bigger question is why would some neighborhoods turn into violent cesspools once one race of people move out and another move in? Every black neighborhood is not a 'cesspool' of violence.

#20 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,791 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

Translation: I don't have evidence for my claims.

Translation: I don't know how to Google even when given a reference point, 'cause I stoopid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users