Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Internet connection doesn't work on one laptop but does on the other

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Aleph

Aleph

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

HELP! :eek:

Internet works on my one laptop but suddenly does not work on the other. The Comcast tech tried to help me, but the thing still will not connect although it says I am connected.

Comcast high speed internet. This is strange. The PC is up and running well except for the internet problem.

Any ideas?

#2 georjec2

georjec2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,496 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

Try another Comcast technician. I had the same problem on Sunday. had to get the # off the bottom of the Wireless router log onta a web site given by the tech and authorize the second laptop.

#3 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:03 PM

HELP! :eek:

Internet works on my one laptop but suddenly does not work on the other. The Comcast tech tried to help me, but the thing still will not connect although it says I am connected.

Comcast high speed internet. This is strange. The PC is up and running well except for the internet problem.

Any ideas?

You're not offering enough details.

Wired? Wireless? Did you try right clicking on the Local Area Network icon and then "repair this connection?"

#4 Aleph

Aleph

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,208 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:00 AM

It's a wireless connection. I did EVERYTHING I could to repair it, including the "repair this connection" on the icon. Nothing works. Sure hope it's not the computer itself, which is operating perfectly otherwise.

Thanks georgec2 and douger for your suggestions. :)

#5 Justthefax

Justthefax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,538 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:10 AM

I have had that problem several times,

try rebooting.

Is the wireless on the lap top turned on? Many lap tops there is a button to turn it on and off.
Tell a joke every day!
;) :)

I drum to the beat of a different walker!

Count Down Days left till the end of the Obamanation

#6 FearTheRaven

FearTheRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

When you go to open your internet browser does it just say "Page cannot be displayed" or a different error?

Does it take long for the error to display or does it come right up?

I believe I can help but need more info.

#7 douger

douger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,168 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

Try resetting the router...there's usually a very small hole in the back that you stick something like a paper clip into. Hold that switch for about ten seconds, then let it reboot itself. Delete the wi-fi setting on the trouble computer, and let it rediscover the network.

If you've set up authentication, this wipes that out, so once you're done troubleshooting, make sure you re-enter your settings.

And if you haven't set up authentication, you should. Read your router manual on how to set up. You'll also need to match the settings in the wi-fi wizard.