Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fan202

AACO Football 2010

1,232 posts in this topic

I'm hearing that the A--hole running AA county Athletics told the high school football coaches (head) if they run the HSPD camp this year they will be fired!!!!!!! Have anyone else heard this bull*&^%!!!!!!!!

Not even the most highly sought-after recruits get to be around Division I head football coaches every day. And those that do see the Lane Kiffins and Nick Sabans of the world on a regular basis rarely develop a deep, personal connection with them.

Unless, of course, those coaches happen to be your father.

"I think it's pretty cool having a dad that's a Division I football coach," said Broadneck linebacker Va'a Niumatalolo, whose father, Ken, is the head coach at Navy. "Not too many kids can say that."

Considering there are only 236 Division I programs in the country, Niumatololo is indeed in pretty rare company. Football-wise, it's certainly a nice advantage for him, especially since he's a 6-foot-2, 220-pound rising senior who yearns to play in college.

"I give him his space, but he wants to get better and he wants the advice," Ken Niumatololo said. "He has the passion, so I've helped him in offseason drills and with conditioning and we'll break down certain parts of his game.

"I never wanted to force football on him," the coach continued. "I just wanted to see him do something he enjoyed. But he did enjoy football and I told him, 'This is something I can help you with. I can't really help you be a doctor or engineer, but I can help you with football (laughs).'"

There are other perks as well. Once in awhile Niumatalolo will head to the Navy facilities with his dad, where he'll work out with the players. It gives him an up-close-and-personal look at how elite college athletes train. Better yet, since Niumatalolo projects as a I-AA college prospect, he can consult with players and coaches on how to raise his stock.

"It definitely helps a lot having a dad with connections," Niumatalolo said. "He knows what college coaches are looking for in players."

Niumatalolo talks with his father every morning and night, even during football season. Ken Niumatalolo even has time to attend a few of his son's games at Broadneck, which is minutes from the Navy campus.

"When he comes to the games he always critiques me in a good way," Niumatalolo said. "One thing he always tells me is 'Play fast.' He means don't concern your mind with too many things; just let go and play like an animal."

Niumatalolo usually takes the advice to heart. During Broadneck's battle with Arundel last year, Niumatalolo showed off his strength and speed against one of the best offensive lines in the conference. On one play he fought through a double team, beat his man outside and sacked star quarterback Billy Cosh.

"He made plenty of key stops behind the line of scrimmage for us," said Broadneck coach Jeff Herrick. "He moves real well and has great ability to pursue laterally. He can read the play, he can stunt and he's a pretty daggone good athlete. And he's only getting better. He's developing rapidly."

Before Niumatalolo started sacking quarterbacks like Cosh, however, he was practically taking Football 101 as a youngster. With his dad as his guide, Niumatalolo's instincts and on-field savvy became rather advanced for a youth league player.

"I could see at an early age he could diagnose plays very well," Ken Niumatalolo said. "He had an innate ability; he was very intelligent. He could sift through traffic, get through the line, and recognize formations and tendencies."

Herrick saw it, too. Like the Navy head coach, he could tell right away Niumatalolo was a little more refined then most kids in Pop Warner ball.

"Va'a played on my son's team when he was little, so I got to see him real early on," Herrick said. "And as a coach you can always tell when kids have potential. You could tell he'd been around football all his life. He certainly was an athlete, but what stood out about him the most was his attitude and his willingness to work."

Thanks to Niumatalolo's work, he was prepared for varsity football as a freshman. He didn't play much that first year, but as a sophomore he began to assert himself. Last year he became a full-time starter and responded with 60 tackles, 20 tackles for loss and four sacks.

Next year could be Niumatalolo's leap to greatness.

"I want to be a force on defense," Niumatalolo said. "I want to get to the point where I'm unstoppable."

For that to happen, Herrick said Niumatalolo must get even stronger and faster. But the coach also admitted Niumatololo, along with teammate Nick Ochoa, have the potential to be the best linebackers in Broadneck history.

"We've had All-State linebackers like Tyler Moyer and Preston Pehrson, and Va'a and Nick could be right up there or even better," Herrick said. "They're part of the best group of linebackers that have come through this school and will be significant players now and in the future."

Niumatololo isn't sure he likes all the hoopla. Despite accolades from his father and coach, not to mention his selection to the Super-22 team as one of the rising stars in the Baltimore-metro area, Niumatololo doesn't consider himself a "special player."

"I don't really feel like I've fully developed to what I want to yet," Niumatalolo said. "I have potential, but I'm not there yet. This year will tell a lot."

Niumatalolo's humility stems from his parents, who preach modesty, respect and restraint. It's part of the reason Herrick believes Niumatalolo will be successful. After all, his ego will never get in the way.

"He has a great family, and their values are very good," Herrick said. "What he brings to the table in terms of work ethic, personality and character is a reflection of those values. That's something all coaches look for in a great player."

Niumatalolo's Mormon faith, which counts discipline and humility among its foremost virtues, certainly plays a role in his personality, too. He is clearly devoted to the religion, calling it "pretty much everything in my life." He prays morning, afternoon and night, before games, before meals and before bed. He attends a scripture-study class at 6 a.m. every day before school. He refrains from teenage temptations like parties, drugs and alcohol. In fact, Niumatalolo's faith is even influencing his college decision.

"I'd like to go to [predominantly Mormon] schools like BYU or Utah, because if I go to one of those schools it would be easier to fit in faith-wise and for me to go on my required mission at 19," Niumatalolo said. "My decisions are based around my religion. I'm very serious about it."

Serious enough to shun Navy, his dad's place of employment?

"Well, Navy would be nice, but with my dad there I think it would be kind of awkward," Niumatalolo said, chuckling. "The players might harass me, too."

Ken Niumatalolo will assuredly understand. He just wants to see his son succeed and grow into a fine man.

"As a father I'm very proud of him," Ken Niumatalolo said. "He's a very disciplined young man and a hard worker. And as a father and a coach, it's been fun watching him train and seeing him develop over the years. I'm eager to see what he'll be able to accomplish in the future."

Game ten,Broadneck at Old Mill might decide who is #1 in the county. I wonder how good North Point will be. They might have not made the playoffs last year if they were in AA county.

What do you guys think?

I will go with that. The only question for Broadneck would be the offensive and defensive lines. We have some holes that need filling. But if that is accomplished, we are loaded everywhere else especially our defense.

Game ten,Broadneck at Old Mill might decide who is #1 in the county. I wonder how good North Point will be. They might have not made the playoffs last year if they were in AA county.

What do you guys think?

Broadneck I think will be the top of the county. Dont underestimate North Point from last year. I know Old Mill beat them last year but Old Mill also hit a hot streak. I know football down there is not as tough as AA co but they still have tough teams like Westlake. There has to be something to say about a team that their varsity,JV,and freshman team all went undefeated right?

Herrick had some strong comments about Niumatalolo and Ochoa, which is great to hear. I think if both guys can get a little faster, they will be dominating. Here is Ochoa's highlights.

Broadneck returns all 5 linebacker from their 5LB set, so they should be pretty darn tough in the middle of the field.

If a player steps up as major offensive weapon this year in addition to Van Meter, it could be a really big year .

Broadneck I think will be the top of the county. Dont underestimate North Point from last year. I know Old Mill beat them last year but Old Mill also hit a hot streak. I know football down there is not as tough as AA co but they still have tough teams like Westlake. There has to be something to say about a team that their varsity,JV,and freshman team all went undefeated right?

I thought North Point didn't play westlake last year? I could be mistaken?

North Point beat Westlake 7 - 0 last regular football season. Westlake beat Potomac but lost to Huntingtown who beat River Hill in the playoffs.

North Point beat Westlake 7-0 in Week 7

Player at Annapolis getting looks from the IVY League schools (Watson).

Player at Annapolis getting looks from the IVY League schools (Watson).

What position does he play?

What position does he play?

they have him listed as a safety

Westlake played North Point last year and beat Westlake. I think they beat them either 7-0 or 14-7. I was surprise that Westlake lost to them. Then later found out, that westlake lost players due to engliblity

AACO HSPD @ NC has some nice Athletes out there this yr. Can't wait till the season starts!!!!!

they have him listed as a safety

He will play CB this year. It was hard to move 2 year starters.

I feel Meade is a sleeper in the county looking at the HSPD @ North County. they have alott of talent especially at the DB position to go along with Costen

So did anyone hear that the AA county Athletic director try to pull a plug on the hspd camp. Yup! Apparently you can't be and coach and run the team. Some crap! Worst Athletic director in the state because every other county can do it!

I'm hearing that the A--hole running AA county Athletics told the high school football coaches (head) if they run the HSPD camp this year they will be fired!!!!!!! Have anyone else heard this bull*&^%!!!!!!!!

I heard the same thing! One of the coaches actually told me.it's a rule that the coach can't. It's not all the coaches , Just the North County coach because he was the site manager. but it's alot of crap. coach was given this..

Site manager or coach.

So the coach step down because he wants to coach this season!

But all the rest of the counties are allowed to do this. Bull^$)#@

Redskin, I'm guessing that you probably heard half a story that was told to you by somebody who also heard half a story!! I'm not sure how a bunch of this stuff works, but i do know this, generally speaking when decisions are handed down from a governing body to its members there is probably a valid reason for it. I have no idea the specifics of this camp or what it even is. What I do know is that I attend a number of sports events in AA County, not just Arundel games, and I see the county athletic director at all of them, he is at every meaningful game every county team plays and certainly has the best intrests of players and schools in mind when any of those types of decisions are made, so posting derogatory comments about a person because of something you are hearing is a bit of an over reaction don't you think?.

Gotcha now...The backup you speak of is Nick Rossatti. He is in the number one spot. The transfer is Mike Williams and I would expect that he would compete for the starting spot. The 7on7s and scrimmages leading up to the season will tell the story. Old Mill and Broadneck early will be Baptism by fire.

Rossati was the backup, and the games I saw him in last year has me a bit worried, especially the early games on the schedule. The kid has a strong arm, I'll give him that but he did look a little panicked when he was on the field. My guess for Arundel is that we'll see a lot of Joe Blackwell especially early on and we'll see more of the Wildcat runs that were a staple during Nick Elko's time. Cosh couldn't run like Elko and didn't need to. Not sure if Rosati can run the ball or not but I'm guessing we'll see Tyler Young (Soph) get some snaps as a Wildcat QB

Redskin, I'm guessing that you probably heard half a story that was told to you by somebody who also heard half a story!! I'm not sure how a bunch of this stuff works, but i do know this, generally speaking when decisions are handed down from a governing body to its members there is probably a valid reason for it. I have no idea the specifics of this camp or what it even is. What I do know is that I attend a number of sports events in AA County, not just Arundel games, and I see the county athletic director at all of them, he is at every meaningful game every county team plays and certainly has the best intrests of players and schools in mind when any of those types of decisions are made, so posting derogatory comments about a person because of something you are hearing is a bit of an over reaction don't you think?.

Well being a former coach in AA co. I know the man and Redskin is correct. He is an idiot. The hspd camp is a simple camp, no pads, run by Gary Liddick at North County and the majority of the county coaches work it. They work individuals with kids from other schools. It really is about teaching youth football. They have these rules restricting what we are able to do during the offseason where other counties go nuts. They want to know why MD hs football doesnt compete with the surrounding states like PA, VA, Ohio, it is because of these rules that keep us from having spring ball, or being able to take pads to a team camp over the summer.

Who said anything about Arundel?

Well being a former coach in AA co. I know the man and Redskin is correct. He is an idiot. The hspd camp is a simple camp, no pads, run by Gary Liddick at North County and the majority of the county coaches work it. They work individuals with kids from other schools. It really is about teaching youth football. They have these rules restricting what we are able to do during the offseason where other counties go nuts. They want to know why MD hs football doesnt compete with the surrounding states like PA, VA, Ohio, it is because of these rules that keep us from having spring ball, or being able to take pads to a team camp over the summer.

It's not run by Gary Liddick anymore. The athletic director for the county made him step down for it. Apparently their is a rule saying the coach of the school that is hosting it isn't allowed to coach the hspd and run it.

Gave him a choice.

Coach in August or coach the hspd.

So liddick picked coach in august

It's not run by Gary Liddick anymore. The athletic director for the county made him step down for it. Apparently their is a rule saying the coach of the school that is hosting it isn't allowed to coach the hspd and run it.

Gave him a choice.

Coach in August or coach the hspd.

So liddick picked coach in august

Gary used to run it when I coached at it. Like I said that is a reason we are so far behind everyone else in hs football. (meaning PA, VA, ohio)