41 replies to this topic

#1 ]<ing

]<ing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:10 AM

Very interesting IMO:

Ken Murray ofRavenInsider reports the landscape of the wide receiver position has changed dramatically for the Ravens already in the offseason. The additions of Anquan Boldin and Donte' Stallworth give the team the ability to go over the middle and to get deep. The return of Derrick Mason gives them a known and proven commodity.

That leaves the rest of the cast -- returning and incoming -- to forge a spot on the roster for themselves. That includes players like former first-round pick Mark Clayton and one-time hopeful Demetrius Williams. But it also includes holdovers like Justin Harper, Eron Riley and Marcus Smith, along with draft pick David Reed and free agents Chris Hannon, Maurice Price and Rodelin Anthony.

Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron indicated he will significantly expand the passing game packages the Ravens use.

"The best guys are going to play," Cameron said. "The good news is we've got a good group of guys that are going to push each other, make each other better. You know, if we have four or five [wide receivers on the roster], that gives us four-wides, that may give us five-wides packages [on the field]. So our packages can expand, which we need to do, and this is the year to do it. So my guess is, we're going to need them all."

#2 The Excellector

The Excellector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:17 AM

Whenever I talk to certain Ravens fans, particularly older ones, they tell me that if there's one thing that Cam learned last year, its that he didn't have the recievers to do what he wanted to do.

Now he does and I honestly believe that he will try some five reciever sets.

I am skeptical about the 'Best guys will play' comment. Many feel that Kelley Washington should have been given a chance on the outside last year as a starter, over Mark Clayton. Washington caught everything thrown his way and Clayton was inconsistent. So, there was no harm in trying it. However, he did not try it.
"Please take with you this final sword, the Excellector" - Leon. King's Field III, Playstation 1996

#3 reedpixuoff

reedpixuoff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

Whenever I talk to certain Ravens fans, particularly older ones, they tell me that if there's one thing that Cam learned last year, its that he didn't have the recievers to do what he wanted to do.

Now he does and I honestly believe that he will try some five reciever sets.

I am skeptical about the 'Best guys will play' comment. Many feel that Kelley Washington should have been given a chance on the outside last year as a starter, over Mark Clayton. Washington caught everything thrown his way and Clayton was inconsistent. So, there was no harm in trying it. However, he did not try it.

We need to bring Washington back. He has more value both as a receiver and special teamer than Clayton/Demetrius. Cut the dead weight and bring back the guy who was actually productive.

#4 rhannahs19

rhannahs19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

We need to bring Washington back. He has more value both as a receiver and special teamer than Clayton/Demetrius. Cut the dead weight and bring back the guy who was actually productive.

agree, and id like to see some 4 wr sets with rice in the back field, joe can audible to what he thinks is best

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,712 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

agree, and id like to see some 4 wr sets with rice in the back field, joe can audible to what he thinks is best

I don't understand why he wasn't resigned unless it's his asking price
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#6 Foggy Dewhurst

Foggy Dewhurst

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,528 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

Washington wants to be some place where he's at least a #3 receiver, that's not here..
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." Mark Twain..

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Life's a beach to me!

#7 s.r.genovese

s.r.genovese

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,261 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:14 PM

Washington wants to be some place where he's at least a #3 receiver, that's not here..

This.

#8 rhannahs19

rhannahs19

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

it doesnt seem hes gotten much interest? maybe he'd come back as the #4, im sure with all the new weapons, hed get open quite a bit. if he doesnt sign with another team by preseason, we should make an offer

#9 Iron Lion Zion

Iron Lion Zion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

1. boldin
2. mason
3. stallworth
4. clayton

the 5th spot is open for competition between williams, reed, smith, harper, riley. as good as kelly washington was last year, there is just no room for him. clayton sucks as a #2 but he could do some damage as the #4 in 4 WR set.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Run if you dare!

#10 WickedSolo

WickedSolo

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,197 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:44 PM

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Kelly Washington come back, but he would have to earn his spot and I can't honestly say that he could beat out Clayton. As odd as it is for me to say that, it's true.

I also don't see David Reed not making the team.
-You want some words to live by? Think about what you want said at your funeral.

-I didn't invent the wheel, just the crooked spoke adjacent...Aesop Rock

#11 The Excellector

The Excellector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

I'm so ready for Clayton to be gone...
"Please take with you this final sword, the Excellector" - Leon. King's Field III, Playstation 1996

#12 bdub85

bdub85

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:22 PM

I'm so ready for Clayton to be gone...

this.

#13 Strange Bru

Strange Bru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,146 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:24 PM

<ing;6204580']Very interesting IMO:

Quote:
Ken Murray ofRavenInsider reports the landscape of the wide receiver position has changed dramatically for the Ravens already in the offseason. The additions of Anquan Boldin and Donte' Stallworth give the team the ability to go over the middle and to get deep. The return of Derrick Mason gives them a known and proven commodity.

That leaves the rest of the cast -- returning and incoming -- to forge a spot on the roster for themselves. That includes players like former first-round pick Mark Clayton and one-time hopeful Demetrius Williams. But it also includes holdovers like Justin Harper, Eron Riley and Marcus Smith, along with draft pick David Reed and free agents Chris Hannon, Maurice Price and Rodelin Anthony.

Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron indicated he will significantly expand the passing game packages the Ravens use.

"The best guys are going to play," Cameron said. "The good news is we've got a good group of guys that are going to push each other, make each other better. You know, if we have four or five [wide receivers on the roster], that gives us four-wides, that may give us five-wides packages [on the field]. So our packages can expand, which we need to do, and this is the year to do it. So my guess is, we're going to need them all."

In my best Butthead voice:

He said "So our packages can expand!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GO RAVENS!!

#14 52 knock outs

52 knock outs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

This is why I was so upset with last year's draft. No weapons for Joe as it bit Ozzie in the *** in Indy.

This year's draft should have been last year's draft.

And don't forget the TEs Dickson and Pitta who can double as WRs. I expect
them to start as WR before Clayton or the other ones.

MOUNT NACODY - NO RUNNING ALLOWED. IF ITS BLOOD YOU WANT, YOU'RE GONNA GET IT WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN.

AC/DC
STONES

#15 Strange Bru

Strange Bru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,146 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

This is why I was so upset with last year's draft. No weapons for Joe as it bit Ozzie in the *** in Indy.

MOUNT NACODY - NO RUNNING ALLOWED. IF ITS BLOOD YOU WANT, YOU'RE GONNA GET IT WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN.

AC/DC
STONES

So you would rather not have Michael Oher, Paul Kruger, and Lardarius Webb?

I have wanted a great CB drafted by the Ravens since before they let CMac go, but I like all of the players the Ravens have picked up since. Stop complaining about Ozzie's job in the drat until he totally derails.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GO RAVENS!!

#16 ReedThis_20

ReedThis_20

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

AC/DC
STONES

what?:confused:

no no no. alot of our damage will come from two TEs sets.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BREAKOUT YEAR

#17 The Excellector

The Excellector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,758 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

Kelley Washington darn near caught everything near him. Mark Clayton didn't. Neither one really got great separation, but I can't see Clayton honestly beating out Washington if Kelley decides to come back. I know that he does not want to. First, he felt he was underused and that is very true. Second, he wants to be atleast a third reciever, as someone else already mentioned. That likely means that if he has to settle for being a third reciever, he would prefer to go to an established passing team. However, as someone else has also already mentioned, he has not drawn much interest elsewhere, which means he could decide to come back anyway.

You can pencil in Boldin as the z reciever and Mason as the X. Stallworth and Washington could both battle for the Y (Slot) position. I mean, it has been a while since Stallworth has played. Reed sounds like legit potential and could come in as a fifth reciever, someone we usually don't carry, if he could supplant Parmele in the return game.

#18 kris21054

kris21054

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

the problem with kelly washington is he wanted to be a number 1 or number 2 wr... i remember reading that right after the season... so if u would rather have kelly and mason fine but i am fine with mason and boldin
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#19 dj

dj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

This will be the best offensive unit in the 14 years of ravens history. Which isn't saying much, so I wouldn't get too pumped up about it just yet.
"I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from goin' insane."

#20 SouthSide

SouthSide

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

Since Dickson is a WR in a TE's body, we might already have another Kelly Washington - provided Dickson can contribute on ST too.

We have at least two TE's that are comfortable being split out as WR's (Heap and Dickson). So we can still loose a couple of WR's - out of Clayton, Williams, Riley, Harper, and Smith - and still run some kind of 5 WR set. No point carrying any dead weight.

Boldin, Mason, Stallworth, Heap, Dickson, Pitta, Rice....we have a lot of guys who can catch the ball. Hell, the guys mentioned could all be on the field at the same time. I just hope that Ca, doesn't get too cute with the play calling to where we outsmart ourselves, or we put too much on Flacco.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users