Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

]<ing

Ravens Will Use 4-5 Receiver Sets

43 posts in this topic

Very interesting IMO:

Ken Murray ofRavenInsider reports the landscape of the wide receiver position has changed dramatically for the Ravens already in the offseason. The additions of Anquan Boldin and Donte' Stallworth give the team the ability to go over the middle and to get deep. The return of Derrick Mason gives them a known and proven commodity.

That leaves the rest of the cast -- returning and incoming -- to forge a spot on the roster for themselves. That includes players like former first-round pick Mark Clayton and one-time hopeful Demetrius Williams. But it also includes holdovers like Justin Harper, Eron Riley and Marcus Smith, along with draft pick David Reed and free agents Chris Hannon, Maurice Price and Rodelin Anthony.

Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron indicated he will significantly expand the passing game packages the Ravens use.

"The best guys are going to play," Cameron said. "The good news is we've got a good group of guys that are going to push each other, make each other better. You know, if we have four or five [wide receivers on the roster], that gives us four-wides, that may give us five-wides packages [on the field]. So our packages can expand, which we need to do, and this is the year to do it. So my guess is, we're going to need them all."

Whenever I talk to certain Ravens fans, particularly older ones, they tell me that if there's one thing that Cam learned last year, its that he didn't have the recievers to do what he wanted to do.

Now he does and I honestly believe that he will try some five reciever sets.

I am skeptical about the 'Best guys will play' comment. Many feel that Kelley Washington should have been given a chance on the outside last year as a starter, over Mark Clayton. Washington caught everything thrown his way and Clayton was inconsistent. So, there was no harm in trying it. However, he did not try it.

Whenever I talk to certain Ravens fans, particularly older ones, they tell me that if there's one thing that Cam learned last year, its that he didn't have the recievers to do what he wanted to do.

Now he does and I honestly believe that he will try some five reciever sets.

I am skeptical about the 'Best guys will play' comment. Many feel that Kelley Washington should have been given a chance on the outside last year as a starter, over Mark Clayton. Washington caught everything thrown his way and Clayton was inconsistent. So, there was no harm in trying it. However, he did not try it.

We need to bring Washington back. He has more value both as a receiver and special teamer than Clayton/Demetrius. Cut the dead weight and bring back the guy who was actually productive.

We need to bring Washington back. He has more value both as a receiver and special teamer than Clayton/Demetrius. Cut the dead weight and bring back the guy who was actually productive.

agree, and id like to see some 4 wr sets with rice in the back field, joe can audible to what he thinks is best

agree, and id like to see some 4 wr sets with rice in the back field, joe can audible to what he thinks is best

I don't understand why he wasn't resigned unless it's his asking price

it doesnt seem hes gotten much interest? maybe he'd come back as the #4, im sure with all the new weapons, hed get open quite a bit. if he doesnt sign with another team by preseason, we should make an offer

1. boldin

2. mason

3. stallworth

4. clayton

the 5th spot is open for competition between williams, reed, smith, harper, riley. as good as kelly washington was last year, there is just no room for him. clayton sucks as a #2 but he could do some damage as the #4 in 4 WR set.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Kelly Washington come back, but he would have to earn his spot and I can't honestly say that he could beat out Clayton. As odd as it is for me to say that, it's true.

I also don't see David Reed not making the team.

<ing;6204580']Very interesting IMO:
Quote:

Ken Murray ofRavenInsider reports the landscape of the wide receiver position has changed dramatically for the Ravens already in the offseason. The additions of Anquan Boldin and Donte' Stallworth give the team the ability to go over the middle and to get deep. The return of Derrick Mason gives them a known and proven commodity.

That leaves the rest of the cast -- returning and incoming -- to forge a spot on the roster for themselves. That includes players like former first-round pick Mark Clayton and one-time hopeful Demetrius Williams. But it also includes holdovers like Justin Harper' date=' Eron Riley and Marcus Smith, along with draft pick David Reed and free agents Chris Hannon, Maurice Price and Rodelin Anthony.

Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron indicated he will significantly expand the passing game packages the Ravens use.

"The best guys are going to play," Cameron said. "The good news is we've got a good group of guys that are going to push each other, make each other better. You know, if we have four or five [wide receivers on the roster'], that gives us four-wides, that may give us five-wides packages [on the field]. So our packages can expand, which we need to do, and this is the year to do it. So my guess is, we're going to need them all."

In my best Butthead voice:

He said "So our packages can expand!"

This is why I was so upset with last year's draft. No weapons for Joe as it bit Ozzie in the *** in Indy.

This year's draft should have been last year's draft.

And don't forget the TEs Dickson and Pitta who can double as WRs. I expect

them to start as WR before Clayton or the other ones.

MOUNT NACODY - NO RUNNING ALLOWED. IF ITS BLOOD YOU WANT, YOU'RE GONNA GET IT WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN.

AC/DC

STONES

This is why I was so upset with last year's draft. No weapons for Joe as it bit Ozzie in the *** in Indy.

MOUNT NACODY - NO RUNNING ALLOWED. IF ITS BLOOD YOU WANT, YOU'RE GONNA GET IT WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN.

AC/DC

STONES

So you would rather not have Michael Oher, Paul Kruger, and Lardarius Webb?

I have wanted a great CB drafted by the Ravens since before they let CMac go, but I like all of the players the Ravens have picked up since. Stop complaining about Ozzie's job in the drat until he totally derails.

AC/DC

STONES

what?:confused:

no no no. alot of our damage will come from two TEs sets.

Kelley Washington darn near caught everything near him. Mark Clayton didn't. Neither one really got great separation, but I can't see Clayton honestly beating out Washington if Kelley decides to come back. I know that he does not want to. First, he felt he was underused and that is very true. Second, he wants to be atleast a third reciever, as someone else already mentioned. That likely means that if he has to settle for being a third reciever, he would prefer to go to an established passing team. However, as someone else has also already mentioned, he has not drawn much interest elsewhere, which means he could decide to come back anyway.

You can pencil in Boldin as the z reciever and Mason as the X. Stallworth and Washington could both battle for the Y (Slot) position. I mean, it has been a while since Stallworth has played. Reed sounds like legit potential and could come in as a fifth reciever, someone we usually don't carry, if he could supplant Parmele in the return game.

the problem with kelly washington is he wanted to be a number 1 or number 2 wr... i remember reading that right after the season... so if u would rather have kelly and mason fine but i am fine with mason and boldin

Since Dickson is a WR in a TE's body, we might already have another Kelly Washington - provided Dickson can contribute on ST too.

We have at least two TE's that are comfortable being split out as WR's (Heap and Dickson). So we can still loose a couple of WR's - out of Clayton, Williams, Riley, Harper, and Smith - and still run some kind of 5 WR set. No point carrying any dead weight.

Boldin, Mason, Stallworth, Heap, Dickson, Pitta, Rice....we have a lot of guys who can catch the ball. Hell, the guys mentioned could all be on the field at the same time. I just hope that Ca, doesn't get too cute with the play calling to where we outsmart ourselves, or we put too much on Flacco.

Kelley Washington darn near caught everything near him. Mark Clayton didn't. Neither one really got great separation, but I can't see Clayton honestly beating out Washington if Kelley decides to come back. I know that he does not want to. First, he felt he was underused and that is very true. Second, he wants to be atleast a third reciever, as someone else already mentioned. That likely means that if he has to settle for being a third reciever, he would prefer to go to an established passing team. However, as someone else has also already mentioned, he has not drawn much interest elsewhere, which means he could decide to come back anyway.

You can pencil in Boldin as the z reciever and Mason as the X. Stallworth and Washington could both battle for the Y (Slot) position. I mean, it has been a while since Stallworth has played. Reed sounds like legit potential and could come in as a fifth reciever, someone we usually don't carry, if he could supplant Parmele in the return game.

Dude, the stupid love affair with Washington needs to end. He was NOT that good. He only had 2 TDs. He often got more looks from Flacco than Clayton did, and that was on Flacco, not on Clayton. Clayton was/is by far the more talented WR. Washington was very limited in what he could do. YES, he did make some great catches over the middle, but he HARDLY "caught everything thrown to him". In fact, I know he didn't, because HE dropped a pass in that same series against NE before Clayton did. It's just Clayton's dropped pass that is remembered. Mason drops passes frequently enough as well, but you don't see people jumping down his throat, saying he's DONE.

Then again, there were clowns online last season saying Washington should have been the #1 OVER Mason. That's the whole "New Guy" syndrome for you again. Regardless, I could almost guarantee you that if Williams had retained the #3 spot, he would have had a much bigger year, stats wise, than Washington. Why? Because he too is faster, more athletic, and more versatile. If Washington is SUCH a good WR, then why didn't he have a bigger career in Cincy and NE, playing with the likes of Palmer and Brady, ESPECIALLY NE, who likes to make use of a VARIETY of WRs. His entire time in NE was spent as a special teamer, he barely got any time as WR, and you have to wonder why that is. It CERTAINLY couldn't be because they just didn't realize how GREAT he was.

Clayton and Williams belong on this roster. Plain and simple. We will likely keep Reed as the #6 WR/return man. So 6 WRs sounds good. Clayton and Williams are both still talented guys, and if Cam really is a "genius" (remember Billick being called that?), then he'll find ways/packages to USE them and utilize their strengths. He should have and could have done that last season. He, at the very least, could have had some 4-wide sets with Williams last year, but didn't. Williams was literally active all 16 games, but they never bothered to use him. Early in the season I remember even seeing them put TROY SMITH in a 4-wide formation, instead of Williams. What slap in the face to the poor guy. He was healthy all season...putting him on the field more almost arbitrarily would have led to him making more plays. As it is, he looked GOOD against GB (would have had at least 1, if not 2 TDs, were it not for PI), and also GOOD against the Bears. But the only reason they used him was because Washington, who by that point was ALREADY disappearing in certain games, got hurt.

Washington was decent, but he should have been the #4, not Williams.

And Boldin/Mason/Clayton/Stallworth/Williams, could work out just fine. But ultimately, it comes down to Flacco actually improving as a passer. If he doesn't, all the talent in the world isn't going to help him play better.

I don't understand why he wasn't resigned unless it's his asking price

I believe, and I may be wrong, that he is holding out for a guaranteed #2 or #3 spot on a roster. If he returns to Baltimore, which is possible, he would be competing for the 3rd, 4th, or even 5th spot on the depth chart.

I believe a gem may fall from another team due to roster cuts that could be a viable addition to fill a spot. Clayton and Co will need to showcase themselves to make this team. Reed maybe a practice squad addition. I think M. Smith or Harper could be viable if healthy but I rather doubt it via past experience. We'll still need a reserve so I hope they pan out or cut because they have choices and they also include other teams roster cuts.

Dude, the stupid love affair with Washington needs to end. He was NOT that good. He only had 2 TDs. He often got more looks from Flacco than Clayton did, and that was on Flacco, not on Clayton. Clayton was/is by far the more talented WR. Washington was very limited in what he could do. YES, he did make some great catches over the middle, but he HARDLY "caught everything thrown to him". In fact, I know he didn't, because HE dropped a pass in that same series against NE before Clayton did. It's just Clayton's dropped pass that is remembered. Mason drops passes frequently enough as well, but you don't see people jumping down his throat, saying he's DONE.

Then again, there were clowns online last season saying Washington should have been the #1 OVER Mason. That's the whole "New Guy" syndrome for you again. Regardless, I could almost guarantee you that if Williams had retained the #3 spot, he would have had a much bigger year, stats wise, than Washington. Why? Because he too is faster, more athletic, and more versatile. If Washington is SUCH a good WR, then why didn't he have a bigger career in Cincy and NE, playing with the likes of Palmer and Brady, ESPECIALLY NE, who likes to make use of a VARIETY of WRs. His entire time in NE was spent as a special teamer, he barely got any time as WR, and you have to wonder why that is. It CERTAINLY couldn't be because they just didn't realize how GREAT he was.

Clayton and Williams belong on this roster. Plain and simple. We will likely keep Reed as the #6 WR/return man. So 6 WRs sounds good. Clayton and Williams are both still talented guys, and if Cam really is a "genius" (remember Billick being called that?), then he'll find ways/packages to USE them and utilize their strengths. He should have and could have done that last season. He, at the very least, could have had some 4-wide sets with Williams last year, but didn't. Williams was literally active all 16 games, but they never bothered to use him. Early in the season I remember even seeing them put TROY SMITH in a 4-wide formation, instead of Williams. What slap in the face to the poor guy. He was healthy all season...putting him on the field more almost arbitrarily would have led to him making more plays. As it is, he looked GOOD against GB (would have had at least 1, if not 2 TDs, were it not for PI), and also GOOD against the Bears. But the only reason they used him was because Washington, who by that point was ALREADY disappearing in certain games, got hurt.

And Boldin/Mason/Clayton/Stallworth/Williams, could work out just fine. But ultimately, it comes down to Flacco actually improving as a passer. If he doesn't, all the talent in the world isn't going to help him play better.

Why don't you just put a hit out on Joe Flacco right now, I'll be more than happy to sick the cops on your sorry ***.

Ahmen