Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freedomfighter

Black People & Lacrosse

60 posts in this topic

Lacrosse is my new 2nd favorite sport (Tennis still rules in my opinion). I have attended several Poly games this year. Their recent playoff game with Northeast High School was one of the best athletic events i've attended. Great sportsmanship, effort, athleticism...

A couple of years ago I followed Walbrook when they dominated the City League with players like Eric Pitts (now at Shaw University on a basketball scholarship) and most recently Jamar Peete (now a redshirt freshman on a lacrosse scholarship at Limestone College).

I have personally seen lacrosse open doors for many young black men, some who never heard of the sport before high school.

I appreciate the efforts of people Balt. city coaches A.C. George and Ray Harcum who pour their heart and soul into developing boys into men through this sport.

In the City of the only Black college to ever field a men's lacrosse team (Morgan State - who beat then #1 Washington & Lee 10-9 in 1975 in what some consider the greatest upset in college sports history), I hope these efforts continue.

lax is all a matter of who opens their wallets and pays for the $kills.

all thing's even...i.e. rich white kid attending not inexpensive year round camps/leagues vs rich black kid attending not inexpensive year round camps/leagues....the...uh, how do they say..."athleticism" becomes the edge.

and...w&l was never "#1" in 1975...maybe in the upcoming movie script...along with those deep suthun twangs @ w&l.

all thing's even...i.e. rich white kid attending not inexpensive year round camps/leagues vs rich black kid attending not inexpensive year round camps/leagues....the...uh, how do they say..."athleticism" becomes the edge.

and...w&l was never "#1" in 1975...maybe in the upcoming movie script...along with those deep suthun twangs spoken @ w&l.

Lacrosse is my new 2nd favorite sport (Tennis still rules in my opinion). I have attended several Poly games this year. Their recent playoff game with Northeast High School was one of the best athletic events i've attended. Great sportsmanship, effort, athleticism...

A couple of years ago I followed Walbrook when they dominated the City League with players like Eric Pitts (now at Shaw University on a basketball scholarship) and most recently Jamar Peete (now a redshirt freshman on a lacrosse scholarship at Limestone College).

I have personally seen lacrosse open doors for many young black men, some who never heard of the sport before high school.

I appreciate the efforts of people Balt. city coaches A.C. George and Ray Harcum who pour their heart and soul into developing boys into men through this sport.

In the City of the only Black college to ever field a men's lacrosse team (Morgan State - who beat then #1 Washington & Lee 10-9 in 1975 in what some consider the greatest upset in college sports history), I hope these efforts continue.

Unless you follow lax, it's not common knowledge that one of the best college lax players - of all time - was black. His name was Jim Brown. Yes, the same Jim Brown who was a legend in the NFL playing for the Cleveland Browns.

http://lacrossememoir.blogspot.com/2010/02/jim-brown-lacrosse-and-black.html

and...w&l was never "#1" in 1975...maybe in the upcoming movie script...along with those deep suthun twangs spoken @ w&l.

"The Morgan Lacrosse Story" documents the rise of Baltimore's Morgan State University lacrosse program in the early 1970s. The film uses the official team sport of Maryland to honor the legacy of a ground-breaking team that would eventually pull off one of the greatest upsets in intercollegiate sports history. In 1975, Morgan defeated Washington and Lee University, the number one lacrosse team in NCAA Division II, which had not lost a regular season or home game in three years.

From the trailer for the documentary "Ten Bears" which I urge all lacrosse fans to watch.

"The Morgan Lacrosse Story" documents the rise of Baltimore's Morgan State University lacrosse program in the early 1970s. The film uses the official team sport of Maryland to honor the legacy of a ground-breaking team that would eventually pull off one of the greatest upsets in intercollegiate sports history. In 1975, Morgan defeated Washington and Lee University, the number one lacrosse team in NCAA Division II, which had not lost a regular season or home game in three years.

From the trailer for the documentary "Ten Bears" which I urge all lacrosse fans to watch.

room .... you are amazing. Right or wrong, I respect your opinion ....

freedomfighter .. thank you for starting up this thread (topic). Washington & lee lacrosse under the leadership of one of the best coaches all-time, Jack Emmer, lead W&L to numerous "D - 1" playoff appearances in the 70's and 80's. In 1973 / 74 & 75, W&L reached the final four in D1. In 1974, they lost to JHU 11-10 in the semis afterwhich the Bluejays won the championship a few days later. W&L was 15 & 1 that year (74) and depending on the early season polls in 1975, there was a good chance they were ranked number one or very close to it the following year (75) because of their outstanding 74 campaign. W&L would drop down to D111 some years later as well.

http//www.generalsports.com/information/athletics_history/index[/url]

I was a 10th grader @ Towson HS in 1975 and can remember the incredibly talented lax teams of the Generals of W&L back in the day. :D

Slaps .. great link to Jim Brown. I can only relay what I was told by a family member about JB playing lacrosse and his abilities on the lax field was truly amzing indeed. I have always been a huge fan of JB for both his "athletism" and his straightforwadness with more importnat matters off the darn playing field. Matters that dwarf what we all do on the field of play and he is classy for all to consider ... B or W ....

IMHO of course ... right room .....

type in the W&L folks .. it will not save right for some reason .. could be because I am an old fart .... Everyone have a great weekend ...

I'm pretty sure this documentary was discussed on this web site, at length, last year.

Unless you follow lax, it's not common knowledge that one of the best college lax players - of all time - was black.

yeah it is.

His name was Jim Brown.

*thunderclap*

that was a great setup for the expected slappy.

Yes, the same Jim Brown who was a legend in the NFL playing for the Cleveland Browns.

not the godfather of soul? not "jb" from terry, howie, jimmy and jb? not the guy from "rin tin tin"? oh, he was white. man, r u serious? ~that~ jim brown?

thanx for the common knowledge.

yours is the only stuff that ever chex out dad...w & l was playing d-1 from their start until the late 1980's.

it is true w&l hadn't lost a regular season game in 1973 and 1974 (not the "three years" as in the script) but uva was the only power they played in the regular season. they owned uva though.

w&l finished 11 up 7 down in 1975...barely making the playoffs. not the powerhouse that the script makes 'em out to be. in 1976, they were waxed like 15-0 by cornell in the playoffs.

morgan in their own right had >=10 wins in 1975. not really slouches. i saw them defeat the delaware mud hens or whatever they're called. slapshot was there too.

so all we had was a better morgan team than in previous years beating a lesser w&l team than in previous years. they sorta met in the middle. i was at the game, with slapshot, it was 8-7, not 10-9. true, it was considered huge at the time, that early in the season and given the recent history, but knowing their final dispositions a month or so later, not that big. an upset, yes, but let's not embellish the magnitude, much less lie. i can still see the morgan guys all dancin and stuff. they had a huge defenseman, #17...george kelly. he shut the genralisimo's top gun down. he dominated both games i saw.

i guess bland faxs don't sell dvd's, eh?

Jim Brown was a most amazing athlete. I am surprised that the black communituh and the PC crowd has not pushed for more blacks to compete in lax, like the Tiger Woods impact on golf. Lax has really grown here in the Tampa area, with many clubs and some high school clubs that compete all over the place.

as i said, it's simply a matter of willingness to spend the bux.

le tigre benefited from practically 24-7 access to base golf courses. had earl been a civy, would he have spent the dough?

Slaps .. great link to Jim Brown. I can only relay what I was told by a family member about JB playing lacrosse and his abilities on the lax field was truly amzing indeed. I have always been a huge fan of JB for both his "athletism" and his straightforwadness with more importnat matters off the darn playing field. Matters that dwarf what we all do on the field of play and he is classy for all to consider ... B or W ....

Brown was a great football and lacrosse player.

...but he's a lousy human being.

he's a wife beater. he's been arrested for that multiple times over the years.

I didn't see the movie but didn't Ernie Davis also play lacrosse?

I don't think black kids are that much interested in lacrosse b/c playing the sport is not a way out of the ghetto whereas bassitball is. Same goes for football. And I see where MLB is somewhat disturbed that despite all their efforts in the inner cities, baseball is not attracting the young black like MLB believes it should.

Brown was a great football and lacrosse player.

...but he's a lousy human being.

he's a wife beater. he's been arrested for that multiple times over the years.

Jim Brown is a great human being and a great American. I urge everyone to watch a documentary called "Jim Brown: All-American" and research some of his work done w/ the Amer-I-Can program.

I have thought for a while that Morgan State bringing back their Lacrosse program would do wonders for African American Lacrosse. They could put on great camps, get some good in state scholarship and financial aid programs for their players, and provide some great role models for young black lacrosse players.

Not sure if that will ever happen, but I feel in increased buzz around Baltimore City lacrosse this year, compared to recent years.

shako and me nailed it. there's no "stick dreams" and u gotta inve$t to be good.

I have thought for a while that Morgan State bringing back their Lacrosse program would do wonders for African American Lacrosse. They could put on great camps, get some good in state scholarship and financial aid programs for their players, and provide some great role models for young black lacrosse players.

Not sure if that will ever happen, but I feel in increased buzz around Baltimore City lacrosse this year, compared to recent years.

They have a club team now and are trying to get the program restarted.

That is great news, I really love hearing that. Their stadium is beautiful as well.

That is great news, I really love hearing that. Their stadium is beautiful as well.

In the recent past, Morgan's athletic department has been run in an incompetent, disgraceful manner.

To think, Morgan was the first black college to play in and win a football bowl game (Tangerine Bowl - 1967, MVP: Willie Lanier - greatest middle linebacker in NFL History - IMO). They also won a Natl Champioinship in Hoops (Div. II led by Marvin "The Human Eraser" Webster - 1974), and as recently as the 1980's fielded a great wrestling team.

Well, things are starting to look up. For lacrosse and athletics as a whole at Morgan.

As to lacrosse, A local high school coach who wins wherever he coaches and is all about lacrosse and helping black boys through the sport is working to get them back into the NCAA and become their coach. If this happens, it will be a good thing and they will be winning games in 2 years.

shako and me nailed it. there's no "stick dreams" and u gotta inve$t to be good.

Hardly. You are trying to apply the argument from hockey and completely miss the mark. No real surprise.

Invest to be good? Ridiculous.

buhehehe. i knew some horse would go to the trough and say that. did i say "hockey"? do i stutter?

lax has nothing to do with the expense of hockey equipment and ice-time...u silly goose. lax is cheap...but the $kills are bought...duh...there's no amount of money u can throw at camps to make a white kid run faster or jump higher. buhehehe...but to twirl a stick...yes, yes, yes! just takes a lot of instruction and practice babay. i mean, it's like why princeton/cornell are top rated...and look at george hugely or whatever his name is.

why do the rich high skools dominate the poor ones in lax..but it tends to be the other way around in football?

lax...as morgan freeman might say if cast as the morgan state a.d. in "remember the bears"...after adam goldberg (cast as coach chip silverman) approaches him about fielding a lax team..."lacrosse?...isn't that a privileged white man's game?"

buhehehe. i knew some horse would predictably go to the trough and say that. did i say "hockey"? do i stutter?

lax has nothing to do with the expense of hockey equipment and ice-time...u silly goose. lax is cheap...but the $kills are bought...duh...there's no amount of money u can throw at camps to make a white kid run faster or jump higher. buhehehe...but to twirl a stick...yes, yes, yes! just takes a lot of instruction and practice babay. i mean, it's like why princeton/cornell are top rated with 0 scholarships...why 5 out of 7 ivy's were >=.500 in d-1 with 0 scholarships...and look at george hugely or whatever his name is.

why do the rich high skools dominate the poor ones in lax..but it tends to be the other way around in football?

lax...as morgan freeman might say if cast as the morgan state a.d. in "remember the bears"...after adam goldberg (cast as coach chip silverman) approaches him about fielding a lax team..."lacrosse?...isn't that a privileged white man's game?"

buhehehe. i knew some horse would predictably go to the trough and say that. did i say "hockey"? do i stutter? u completely missed the mark. buhehehe. oh, no surprise.

lax has nothing to do with the expense of hockey equipment and ice-time...u silly goose. lax is cheap...but the $kills are bought...duh...there's no amount of money u can throw at camps to make a white kid run faster or jump higher. buhehehe...but to twirl a stick...yes, yes, yes! just takes a lot of instruction and practice babay. i mean, it's like why princeton/cornell are top rated with 0 scholarships...why 5 out of 7 ivy's were >=.500 in d-1 with 0 scholarships...and look at george hugely or whatever his name is.

You might find this interesting...the HC for Stony Brook that lost to UVA 10-9 last week is coached by an African-American

http://www.goseawolves.org/sports/m-lacros/mtt/sowell_rick00.html

They have a club team now and are trying to get the program restarted.

If they are trying to make it a scholarship sport, Title 9 makes it a difficult (i.e. expensive) proposition.