Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freedomfighter

Black People & Lacrosse

60 posts in this topic

buhehehe. i knew some horse would predictably go to the trough and say that. did i say "hockey"? do i stutter? u completely missed the mark. buhehehe. oh, no surprise.

lax has nothing to do with the expense of hockey equipment and ice-time...u silly goose. lax is cheap...but the $kills are bought...duh...there's no amount of money u can throw at camps to make a white kid run faster or jump higher. buhehehe...but to twirl a stick...yes, yes, yes! just takes a lot of instruction and practice babay. i mean, it's like why princeton/cornell are top rated with 0 scholarships...why 5 out of 7 ivy's were >=.500 in d-1 with 0 scholarships...and look at george hugely or whatever his name is.

why do the rich high skools dominate the poor ones in lax..but it tends to be the other way around in football?

lax...as morgan freeman might say if cast as the morgan state a.d. in "remember the bears"...after adam goldberg (cast as coach chip silverman) approaches him about fielding a lax team..."lacrosse?...isn't that a privileged white man's game?"

What proof do you have to back this up jackass?

buhehehe. i'm still waiting for the proof of your false presumption that i was applying "hockey" to lax my dear...then maybe i'll reiterate my proof...like, how's those ivys with 0 scholarships do vs d-1 football opponents? how's about basketball...i'll go there too...and we know about flukey kornell in the ncaa's this year. how many teams do the ivys place in the ncaa tournament with 0 scholarships every year. anybody get in over a double digit seed?

http://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/lacrosse/1/state/maryland.htm

lotsa lower-income skools there,eh?

http://www.maxpreps.com/rankings/football/1/state/maryland.htm

eastern vo-tech? is that where ray lewis sends his kids? gilman?

buhehehe. i'm still waiting for the proof of your false presumption that i was applying "hockey" to lax my dear...then maybe i'll reiterate my proof...like, how's those ivys with 0 scholarships do vs d-1 football opponents? how's about basketball...i'll go there too...and we know about flukey kornell in the ncaa's this year. how many teams do the ivys place in the ncaa tournament with 0 scholarships every year. anybody get in over a double digit seed?

lotsa lower-income skools there,eh?

eastern? is that where ray lewis sends his kids? annapolis (used to be lax power until white flight) two skools from upper marlboro? tj jas a significant aa population...among others. me don't see many skools in common in both lists...

the good football privates pluck a.a. kids with scholarships.

buhehehe. i'm still waiting for the proof of your false presumption that i was applying "hockey" to lax my dear...then maybe i'll reiterate my proof...like, how's those ivys with 0 scholarships do vs d-1 football opponents as opposed to the lax programs? how's about basketball...i'll go there too...and we know about flukey kornell in the ncaa's this year. how many teams do the ivys place in the ncaa tournament with 0 scholarships every year. anybody ever get in over a double digit seed like in lax?

lotsa lower-income skools in the lax linx,eh?

on the football-side...eastern? is that where ray lewis sends his kids? annapolis (used to be lax power until white flight) two skools from upper marlboro? t.j. has a significant aa population...among others. the good football privates like mcdonough pluck a.a. kids with scholarships.

me don't see many skools appearing in both lists. buhehehe.

Hardly. You are trying to apply the argument from hockey and completely miss the mark. No real surprise.

Invest to be good? Ridiculous.

Yep. Lax costs a fraction, and a small one at that, of what it does to play hockey. The real cost for hockey in the US (most schools in Canada have their own rink, and it is free to use...which is why pretty much everyone plays hockey in Canada...it's fun, and it's cheap) is not the equipment, but the ice time. To rent a sheet of ice for just one hour is about $350-$400. When I was involved with our high school hockey team, our annual operating budget was larger than the high school's PTA budget, at $25K/year. The high cost for ice time is one reason why inline hockey caught on big in the 80's and 90's... because any kid that had access to some asphalt (school/church parking lots, driveways, etc, etc), could get involved with inline hockey. Similarly, kids that have access to a field/lot, can get involved in lax, with minimal expense.

However, skill development does take money in almost every sport - whether it be thrrough an AAU basketball team, or a travel hockey/soccer/baseball team. Good coaches cost money. Skill development camps costs money. But in general, I agree, the cost for hockey is orders of magnitude more than lax.

But MONEY isn't everything. I suspect that one thing that limits the growth and development of lax in predominantly black neighborhoods, is the lack of qualified, or experienced lax coaches that live in those areas. As with hockey, there are black kids that play the sport, but it's rare to find an adult black male that has ever played hockey, or lacrosse. Lacking good/expereinced coaches in any area (black or white), for any sport, is going to limit skill development for the kids (black or white) in those areas. Severna Park is bless with many, many dads that have played the sport at a high level....and they continue to pass down to the kids their knowledge of the sport. There is a lax culture in Severna park and Broadneck that I have never seen anywhere else in the country. A culture where many kids, some as young as 5-6 years old can be seen walking down the street anytime of the year carrying their lax stick. Back in my day, it was a baseball glove and bat...now it's a lax stick and helmet. Until non-traditional lax areas have the coaches and the lax culture accepted by the kids...it's not likely they will be competitive at a high level.

Yep. Lax costs a fraction, and a small one at that, of what it does to play hockey. The real cost for hockey in the US (most schools in Canada have their own rink, and it is free to use...which is why pretty much everyone plays hockey in Canada...it's fun, and it's cheap) is not the equipment, but the ice time. To rent a sheet of ice for just one hour is about $350-$400. When I was involved with our high school hockey team, our annual operating budget was larger than the high school's PTA budget, at $25K/year. The high cost for ice time is one reason why inline hockey caught on big in the 80's and 90's... because any kid that had access to some asphalt (school/church parking lots, driveways, etc, etc), could get involved with inline hockey. Similarly, kids that have access to a field/lot, can get involved in lax, with minimal expense.

kkkkkoww...bee bee bee bee bee.

never has so much been said to say so little...especially when it's so obvious.

However, skill development does take money in almost every sport - whether it be thrrough an AAU basketball team, or a travel hockey/soccer/baseball team. Good coaches cost money. Skill development camps costs money. But in general, I agree, the cost for hockey is orders of magnitude more than lax.

"skill development" takes like $0 in basketball. with the right dna (size, speed, jump), just play street ball and then play for the high skool to get noticed...das it. i mean, it's not like 18 year olds with 0 years of college "skill development" waltz into the nba.

football...there is the equipment cost but camps and training are less significant. it's all dna. size, speed, instinct, strength...even beyond race, nobody goes to camps to train to be tom brady. he was hatched.

why do u think the nfl hold's a "draft combine" to test size, speed, instint, strength, etc.? that all comes from camps and not dna, right?

lax, on the other hand, it's more like...uh...skateboarding.

But MONEY isn't everything.

that stale cliche doesn't apply to lax.

I suspect that one thing that limits the growth and development of lax in predominantly black neighborhoods, is the lack of qualified, or experienced lax coaches that live in those areas. As with hockey, there are black kids that play the sport, but it's rare to find an adult black male that has ever played hockey, or lacrosse. Lacking good/expereinced coaches in any area (black or white), for any sport, is going to limit skill development for the kids (black or white) in those areas.

u mean the money to buy the coaches.

Severna Park is bless with many, many dads that have played the sport at a high level....and they continue to pass down to the kids their knowledge of the sport. There is a lax culture in Severna park and Broadneck that I have never seen anywhere else in the country. A culture where many kids, some as young as 5-6 years old can be seen walking down the street anytime of the year carrying their lax stick. Back in my day, it was a baseball glove and bat...now it's a lax stick and helmet. Until non-traditional lax areas have the coaches and the lax culture accepted by the kids...it's not likely they will be competitive at a high level.

severna park and broadneck are two of the wealthiest demographix in a.a. co. what's your point?...wealth of dads who went to lax camps begats lax camps for their kids? already been said with but a few words earlier in the thread. what's with your drawn out redundant posts anyway?...it doesn't even read that intellectual too good.

and by the way, 5-6 year olds with lax stix can be seen all over the wealthier areas of no. va, balty co., ho. co., philly, n.j, n.y., ct, ma, r.i., fla, colo...

"skill development" takes like $0 in basketball. with the right dna (size, speed, jump), just play street ball and then play for the high skool to get noticed...das it. i mean, it's not like 18 year olds with 0 years of college "skill development" waltz into the nba.

football...all dna as well. size, speed, instinct, strength...even beyond race, nobody goes to camps to train to be tom brady. he was hatched. i guess the nfl "draft combine" tests skills prospects learned from expensive camps like size, speed, agility, instinct, etc? right?

lax, on the other hand, it's more like...uh...skateboarding.

I suspect that one thing that limits the growth and development of lax in predominantly black neighborhoods, is the lack of qualified, or experienced lax coaches that live in those areas. As with hockey, there are black kids that play the sport, but it's rare to find an adult black male that has ever played hockey, or lacrosse. Lacking good/expereinced coaches in any area (black or white), for any sport, is going to limit skill development for the kids (black or white) in those areas.

Severna Park is bless with many, many dads that have played the sport at a high level....and they continue to pass down to the kids their knowledge of the sport. There is a lax culture in Severna park and Broadneck that I have never seen anywhere else in the country. A culture where many kids, some as young as 5-6 years old can be seen walking down the street anytime of the year carrying their lax stick. Back in my day, it was a baseball glove and bat...now it's a lax stick and helmet. Until non-traditional lax areas have the coaches and the lax culture accepted by the kids...it's not likely they will be competitive at a high level.

severna park and broadneck are two of the wealthiest demographix in a.a. co. what's your point?...wealth of dads who went to lax camps begats lax camps for their kids? already been said with but a few words earlier in the thread. what's with your drawn out redundant posts anyway?...it doesn't even read that intellectual too good.

and by the way, 5-6 year olds with lax stix can be seen all over the wealthier areas of no. va, balty co., ho. co., philly, n.j, n.y., ct, ma, r.i., fla, colo...

If they are trying to make it a scholarship sport, Title 9 makes it a difficult (i.e. expensive) proposition.

Or they could drop another sport. I know Michigan is desperately trying to add D1 lacrosse, so it should be interesting to watch these things play out.

You might find this interesting...the HC for Stony Brook that lost to UVA 10-9 last week is coached by an African-American

http://www.goseawolves.org/sports/m-lacros/mtt/sowell_rick00.html

There are definitely some black people in the game, I think the problem is more the popularity of the sport in predominately black areas. River Hill is playing in the Championship tonight, they have a black head coach, and I can think of several other good black HS coaches. I never realized Sowell was black though, he is certainly one of the hot young commodities in the game.

football...all dna as well. size, speed, instinct, strength...even beyond race, nobody goes to camps to train to be tom brady. he was hatched. i guess the nfl "draft combine" tests skills prospects learned from expensive camps like size, speed, agility, instinct, etc? right?

lax, on the other hand, it's more like...uh...skateboarding. why can't white people admit this? buhehehe.

kkkkaaaww...bee bee bee bee bee.

kkkkaaaww...bee bee bee bee bee.

lax, on the other hand, it's more like...uh...skateboarding. why can't white people admit this? buhehehe.

An additional fun fact about the glory days of W&L lacrosse: That 1975 team upset #1 Hopkins in the first round of the NCAA tournament, 11-7. It was an eight-team field at the time.

There are definitely some black people in the game, I think the problem is more the popularity of the sport in predominately black areas. River Hill is playing in the Championship tonight, they have a black head coach, and I can think of several other good black HS coaches. I never realized Sowell was black though, he is certainly one of the hot young commodities in the game.

Actually, both the men's and women's head coach for the lacrosse teams at River Hill are black.

I don't look at it as the sport not being in the predominately black areas...I mean it was only added to Montgomery County at the Varisty level 8-10 years ago. While Lax is growing all across the country it is only in the last 10 years that it has expanded to places like Az, Ca, Florida to the point that can legitmately have competitive teams - not only internally but against other areas of the country including the main home bases of Maryland, LI and upstate NY.

Or they could drop another sport. I know Michigan is desperately trying to add D1 lacrosse, so it should be interesting to watch these things play out.

u mean the club is desperate for the skool to make it d-1.

Link?

While those associated with Michigan's lacrosse club may "desperately" want it, it's not in the cards anytime soon. Given the state of Michigan's economy, and cutbacks at the university....I haven't heard of or read about any planned expansions....and I'm on campus 3-4 times a year. I'd be very surprised if this happened within the next 3-5 years.

Most B10 schools have club teams...including lax. But it's a huge committment of univsrsity resources to go from club to NCAA.

Further, I'm not even aware that lax is a sanctioned high school sport in the state of Michigan. The one Midwestern state where high school lax is sanctioned at many schools (in the Chicago area), is Illinois. Several of my son's roommates @Purdue played high school lax in Chicago. If I had to guess, Illinois will add lax before Michigan does. But that's only a guess...and I don't think any B10 school is planning to add anymore sports until the economy turns around.

dollar late, day short once again slappy...but u are the master at taking a concise 13 word statement and burying it irrevocably with b.s. and the obvious.

Link?

While those associated with Michigan's lacrosse club may "desperately" want it, it's not in the cards anytime soon. Given the state of Michigan's economy, and cutbacks at the university....I haven't heard of or read about any planned expansions....and I'm on campus 3-4 times a year. I'd be very surprised if this happened within the next 3-5 years.

Most B10 schools have club teams...including lax. But it's a huge committment of univsrsity resources to go from club to NCAA.

Further, I'm not even aware that lax is a sanctioned high school sport in the state of Michigan. The one Midwestern state where high school lax is sanctioned at many schools (in the Chicago area), is Illinois. Several of my son's roommates @Purdue played high school lax in Chicago. If I had to guess, Illinois will add lax before Michigan does. But that's only a guess...and I don't think any B10 school is planning to add anymore sports until the economy turns around.

Every summer there is talk ever Michigan and FSU (they are considered the most organized and funded club teams out there) making the step up from club lax to DI on laxpower.com forums. Every year the UM club coach (its his full time job) comes on and says it is a long way off. This year, the UM coach came on and said that it was a lot closer and that it could happen sooner rather than later (some if depended on B10 expansion). Now, does that mean it is going to happen, no. But the conversation changed recently.

Every summer there is talk ever Michigan and FSU (they are considered the most organized and funded club teams out there) making the step up from club lax to DI on laxpower.com forums. Every year the UM club coach (its his full time job) comes on and says it is a long way off. This year, the UM coach came on and said that it was a lot closer and that it could happen sooner rather than later (some if depended on B10 expansion). Now, does that mean it is going to happen, no. But the conversation changed recently.

Don't know anything about FSU, and quite frankly, don't care about FSU.

Lets try this again..."link, please?" Preferably from the AD, or someone at Michigan who has the authority to make this happen.

While Michigan has won 3 back-to-back-to-back national club lax titles, and there's tremendous support and desire from within the club to go D1, the unfortunate reality is - the addition of men and woman's lax (they would need both to balance out Title IX), will cost money the athletic department doesn't have right now. Blue is just finishing up a HUGE upgrade to the Big House, and the aging Crisler Arena is also in needs of some love. It's a dump, if you ask me. I'm up at Michigan a lot, as my son goes there. The financial climate, both in and outside of athletics at Michigan, and the state of Michigan (in general) is bleak...more so for the state. No doubt in good financial times, lax at Michigan would already be a D1 sport.

As I said, I'm not hearing/reading it from high levels, and while the fans and the club coach (a club coach has got zero cred/authority) wants it to happen...there are dwindling resources at Blue...not to mention there's no strong, grass roots fan base for lax in Michigan. It's not Maryland, where there's a lot of support for the sport. The one strong point that they have to support their case is their lax record the last 3 years. They've outgrown club lax.

I'm of the opinion that until the financial situation improves - drammatically - I just don't think it's in the cards at this time. I hope I'm wrong.

Lacrosse is my new 2nd favorite sport (Tennis still rules in my opinion). I have attended several Poly games this year. Their recent playoff game with Northeast High School was one of the best athletic events i've attended. Great sportsmanship, effort, athleticism...

A couple of years ago I followed Walbrook when they dominated the City League with players like Eric Pitts (now at Shaw University on a basketball scholarship) and most recently Jamar Peete (now a redshirt freshman on a lacrosse scholarship at Limestone College).

I have personally seen lacrosse open doors for many young black men, some who never heard of the sport before high school.

I appreciate the efforts of people Balt. city coaches A.C. George and Ray Harcum who pour their heart and soul into developing boys into men through this sport.

In the City of the only Black college to ever field a men's lacrosse team (Morgan State - who beat then #1 Washington & Lee 10-9 in 1975 in what some consider the greatest upset in college sports history), I hope these efforts continue.

I know this isn't the purpose of this thread, but you did briefly mention tennis. I play D1 college tennis and have noticed a lot more black athletes lately, not only in D1 but also in DIII tennis. I think this is a really good think. DI tennis has way too many foreign players in my opinion and that is part of the reason why the U.S. has had trouble producing good professionals lately.

This message is hidden because Room222 is on your ignore list.

Dude just go away. I was going to waste my typing skills demeaning you, but you do a good enough job all by yourself. BTW, I can't read your reply.

Link?

I don't have a link, but I did an interview with the Michigan coach at the Adidas tournament last summer, and I asked him afterwards, and he said we want to be d1. Not sure about the administration, but I know he wants it bad.

I don't have a link, but I did an interview with the Michigan coach at the Adidas tournament last summer, and I asked him afterwards, and he said we want to be d1. Not sure about the administration, but I know he wants it bad.

Fair enough. But this pretty much sums it up - "he said we want to be d1"

No surprises there. We all want to be D1. ;)

Don't know anything about FSU, and quite frankly, don't care about FSU.

Lets try this again..."link, please?" Preferably from the AD, or someone at Michigan who has the authority to make this happen.

While Michigan has won 3 back-to-back-to-back national club lax titles, and there's tremendous support and desire from within the club to go D1, the unfortunate reality is - the addition of men and woman's lax (they would need both to balance out Title IX), will cost money the athletic department doesn't have right now. Blue is just finishing up a HUGE upgrade to the Big House, and the aging Crisler Arena is also in needs of some love. It's a dump, if you ask me. I'm up at Michigan a lot, as my son goes there. The financial climate, both in and outside of athletics at Michigan, and the state of Michigan (in general) is bleak...more so for the state. No doubt in good financial times, lax at Michigan would already be a D1 sport.

As I said, I'm not hearing/reading it from high levels, and while the fans and the club coach (a club coach has got zero cred/authority) wants it to happen...there are dwindling resources at Blue...not to mention there's no strong, grass roots fan base for lax in Michigan. It's not Maryland, where there's a lot of support for the sport. The one strong point that they have to support their case is their lax record the last 3 years. They've outgrown club lax.

I'm of the opinion that until the financial situation improves - drammatically - I just don't think it's in the cards at this time. I hope I'm wrong.

Can't find the coaches quotes but here is MOGOblue - see the bottom of the article. As I said, the coaches tone changed this year because in the past he has said it wasn't happening and now have a different tone. like I said take for what it is worth. Still a long way away but a step in the direction for lacrosse.

http://mgoblog.com/content/michigan-lacrosse-national-champions

as for your comment about it being not sanction in Michigan...Michigan St lax, before the program folded, was the western representative to the tournament for years. So that isn't a prerequiste.