Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

announcerguydrew

Dave Cottle resigns as Head Coach at Maryland

75 posts in this topic

it's in the sports section breaking news right now,

Good ridence !

Never liked him as a coach or a person; and yes, I have known him on a personal level.

it's in the sports section breaking news right now,

Good ridence !

a good man lost his job over a game icehole. learn how to spell moron, riddance.

Well, first of all, it is RIDDANCE!!

Second, exactly who is your suggestion for a replacement? Don't say Zim (signed a big extension) or Gary Gait...no men, no experience, (just because you play well doesn't mean you can coach well)...Scott Marr...ditto on Big Time Experience....Paul Cantabene...is he the BEST???

What do you think???

he'll predictably say the army dude...but since i pre-empted it, he'll mull it for 15 seconds and come up with the loyola dude. but now i spoiled that.

i say the black dude from stoney brook or whomever the top assistant to the chubby red-haired guy at syracuse is. umcp needs a guy with tentacles all through n.y./l.i.

beardmore used to go up there...edell a little bit...but cottle was too local with no appeal for the studs up north, maybe the second-tier. let's face it, what little big-time talent balty produces on the men's side anymore is uva or unc bound...umcp is way down given other alternatives. but that's not necessarily the case in n.y./l.i.

Well, first of all, it is RIDDANCE!!

Second, exactly who is your suggestion for a replacement? Don't say Zim (signed a big extension) or Gary Gait...no men, no experience, (just because you play well doesn't mean you can coach well)...Scott Marr...ditto on Big Time Experience....Paul Cantabene...is he the BEST???

What do you think???

Paul Cantabene would totally instill life back into the Maryland program and the guy is one hell of a recruiter as well.

How about Jeff Tambroni from Cornell? Former Loyola asst. who has upstate cred at a school that can't match UMd. in anything but academics?

I've been waiting for Cottle to go since he got the job.

Tambroni turned down Princeton, I doubt he would go to Md. Remember, he is a central NY boy, born and bred. Grew up outside of Syracuse, went to Hobart. He has gotten Cornell farther than Cottle got MD, so I doubt he would leave the beauty of Ithaca for the chaos of College Park.

Pressler? Would he want to go back under the heat lamps? Would UMD want the association his name brings up? Fair or not, that's the way it is.

And Paul Cantabene? Would MD risk hiring someone who has never been a Div. 1 head coach before???

Despite what Cottle has done to the UM job, its still a plum job. The Ivy's have no scholarships to offer, so they survive on private school recruits whose parents don't even flinch at 50k/yr pricetags. That may have worked for a long time, but with lax exploding at the public high school level all over the country, those paltry 12.5 scholarships at an already discounted state college rate makes a heck of a difference. Upstate may be pretty 4 months a year, but that private school can't match UMD. If he turned down Princeton, so what, apparently the Denver job is better than that, right?

If he turned down Princeton, so what, apparently the Denver job is better than that, right?

with no more sons to get rubber-stamped into princeton, why not? you're comparing college park to the rocky mountains? tierney just went out there for the slower pace, lower expectations, cost of living for his sons (i presume they're on his staff) and cruise to retirement. his grand-children will get into princeton based on his legacy so there's no point in sticking around the congested east coast at his age.

I doubt Tramboni would leave Cornell, He has the program near the top of the mountain, and I heard he gets tremendous financial aid for his players their.

How about Jeff Tambroni from Cornell? Former Loyola asst. who has upstate cred at a school that can't match UMd. in anything but academics?

Ever? In any sport?

While very rare, it should be pointed out that Cornell reached the Sweet 16 this year, while the Terps were home watching.

Same thing in lax - Cornell is still alive, while Maryland is home.

Cornell has 3 men's lax championships, while Maryland has 2....oh, and Cornell was in the championship game just last year (losing to Syracuse in OT). Maryland? If you think the Maryland lax program is better than Cornell's, I just have one word to say - homer.

Hockey? One of the 4 sports in D1 that are self-supporting. You are aware that there are currently 3-4 players in the NHL that graduated from Cornell? Maryland? Anybody?

...and don't even get me started on Cornell's men's crew team. ;):rolleyes: They'd kick Maryland's butt...oh wait, Maryland doesn't have crew. OK, how about fencing? Bring it. :D

Despite what Cottle has done to the UM job, its still a plum job. The Ivy's have no scholarships to offer, so they survive on private school recruits whose parents don't even flinch at 50k/yr pricetags. That may have worked for a long time, but with lax exploding at the public high school level all over the country, those paltry 12.5 scholarships at an already discounted state college rate makes a heck of a difference. Upstate may be pretty 4 months a year, but that private school can't match UMD. If he turned down Princeton, so what, apparently the Denver job is better than that, right?

No. The difference is - to play at the Ivies, you ALSO better have your grades and SATs in order. So not only good athlete, but good scholars. But the Ivies take more than a handful of kids from the pubs. Look at Cornell's roster. About half of those kids are from the pubs. Mitch Beslisle from Severna Park HS, was a 4 year starter @Cornell (since graduated).

Cottle never could win the tough games. Not at Severn, not at Loyola and not at MD. And not a nice guy in my interactions with him.

Don't let the door hit you in the *****, Davie.

Are we saying in order for a Division I Men Lacrosse coach to keep his job, he has to win the championship, make final 4, or make the tournment every year.

There are so many names being speculated, this site lays out most of the potential candidates:

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/05/24/list-potential-maryland-candidates-long-and-diverse

I'd be happy about getting Marr, Cantabene, or Pressler...they have one of the top recruiting classes next year (if they stay committed) and still have guys like Travis Reed and Grant Catalino returning for their senior year, whomever gets the job is in a great position.

This is for MDvet...It's not every year..it was this year. THIS YEAR! With a loaded team ranked third in the nation. And this was after nine years.

Hey, they can't can the players, so they get rid of the next one (coach, manager) up! Trembley's next!!

Ever? In any sport?

While very rare, it should be pointed out that Cornell reached the Sweet 16 this year, while the Terps were home watching.

Same thing in lax - Cornell is still alive, while Maryland is home.

Cornell has 3 men's lax championships, while Maryland has 2....oh, and Cornell was in the championship game just last year (losing to Syracuse in OT). Maryland? If you think the Maryland lax program is better than Cornell's, I just have one word to say - homer.

Hockey? One of the 4 sports in D1 that are self-supporting. You are aware that there are currently 3-4 players in the NHL that graduated from Cornell? Maryland? Anybody?

...and don't even get me started on Cornell's men's crew team. ;):rolleyes: They'd kick Maryland's butt...oh wait, Maryland doesn't have crew. OK, how about fencing? Bring it. :D

Slappy, I know Cornell has a good B-ball program and Lax program, but the Ivy league isn't the ACC, which is the definition of big time athletics. Hockey? Crew? Fencing? ok you got me. The only program thats higher profile than an ACC lax job is Hopkins. ( I absolutely hate Syracuse so they aren't in the discussion)

Slappy, I know Cornell has a good B-ball program and Lax program, but the Ivy league isn't the ACC, which is the definition of big time athletics. Hockey? Crew? Fencing? ok you got me. The only program thats higher profile than an ACC lax job is Hopkins. ( I absolutely hate Syracuse so they aren't in the discussion)

You might want to check out Cornell's lax record in the NCAA for the past 4 years.

As was pointed out earlier, Cornell is and has been on the verge of a NC...why would he leave until that work is complete?

Talking Cottle resignation and more tonight on 105.7 The Fan...

Ed Norris has gotten The Fan permanently removed from my radio...

Are we saying in order for a Division I Men Lacrosse coach to keep his job, he has to win the championship, make final 4, or make the tournment every year.

with the relatively limited number of teams, yes.

football coaches are held to the same standard...except wayne fontes but i think he actually made the playoffs a couple of times.

This is for MDvet...It's not every year..it was this year. THIS YEAR! With a loaded team ranked third in the nation. And this was after nine years.

Hey, they can't can the players, so they get rid of the next one (coach, manager) up! Trembley's next!!

I disagree. It becomes very subjective to determinig what should happened this year.

Using your logic, Syracuse coach should be fired as he lost to Army, unranked team, and his team was ranked #2.