Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theravenlives2

....And the Baltimore Sun's Athletes of the Year are...

26 posts in this topic

GIRLS: Brooke Griffin, South River, Sr, Standout in Lacrosse (led team to first-ever state title) and Field Hockey. Will play for the National Champion Maryland Womens Lacrosse team next year on a full scholarship.

BOYS: Josh Selby, Lake Clifton, Sr., Picked as the #1 prospect in the country by rivals.com, Selby was the undisputed leader of the Lake Clifton program after transfering in this year. He will attend Kansas on a full basketball scholarship next season.

OK, there they are. Have at it, boys and girls...

GIRLS: Brooke Griffin, South River, Sr, Standout in Lacrosse (led team to first-ever state title) and Field Hockey. Will play for the National Champion Maryland Womens Lacrosse team next year on a full scholarship.

BOYS: Josh Selby, Lake Clifton, Sr., Picked as the #1 prospect in the country by rivals.com, Selby was the undisputed leader of the Lake Clifton program after transfering in this year. He will attend Kansas on a full basketball scholarship next season.

OK, there they are. Have at it, boys and girls...

I can say he was one of my 3 choices. I think being picked as the top prospect sealed the deal. Congrats to Josh and Brooke for the selection. Also, congrats to the other 9 candidates for being nominated.

I can say he was one of my 3 choices. I think being picked as the top prospect sealed the deal. Congrats to Josh and Brooke for the selection. Also, congrats to the other 9 candidates for being nominated.

Yeah being the #1 Ranked Player in the country without question won it for him. Congrats to both of them.

Congrats to both, Brooke is probably the best girls lacrosse player I've ever seen.

Has Selby cleared yet to play next year on the NCAA Level?

Yes he is already cleared.

I am dissapointed in the Selby selection. Without a doubt he is the best boys basketball player of the year but the award is for the athlete of the year. I would think that at a minimum an athlete would have to star in two sports if not three.

Have there ever been any other AOY who played only 1 sport?

I am dissapointed in the Selby selection. Without a doubt he is the best boys basketball player of the year but the award is for the athlete of the year. I would think that at a minimum an athlete would have to star in two sports if not three.

Thats exactly what im saying, i would have thought it would have been the best 3 sport athlete, but everything is everything. An yes Tavon won it last year, he technically was a one sport athlete because he didnt hoop last yr, and only came to track when he was basically bored.

Thats exactly what im saying, i would have thought it would have been the best 3 sport athlete, but everything is everything. An yes Tavon won it last year, he technically was a one sport athlete because he didnt hoop last yr, and only came to track when he was basically bored.

Who else would you have choosen?

Who else would you have choosen?

When, last year or this year?

I was referring to this year but since you asked how about last year as well? :)

Last year without a doubt tavon, he just did things to highschool football in this state that just cant be taken away. This year, im not to sure, i have no problem with selby winning it as he was the most dominant player in the metro for his perspective sport. But thats what basketball POY award was for, i jus thought the overall POY award would be for the most outstanding 3 sport athlete.

It rarely happens were a mainly one sport athlete wins(Selby actually ran cross country this year as well, not even sure The Sun knew that) but with this year Selby won because he did something that is special for the area and thats being the #1 ranked player in the country. Personally I do not think he should have won not because he was a one sport athlete but because he didn't lead his team to a state title in that one sport. Tavon won last year because he broke every state record and also led his team to 3 straight state titles as well as being POY for 3 years(which had never happen before).

So with all of that being said please answer the question of what other candidates that could have been POY besides Selby?

It rarely happens were a mainly one sport athlete wins(Selby actually ran cross country this year as well, not even sure The Sun knew that) but with this year Selby won because he did something that is special for the area and thats being the #1 ranked player in the country. Personally I do not think he should have won not because he was a one sport athlete but because he didn't lead his team to a state title in that one sport. Tavon won last year because he broke every state record and also led his team to 3 straight state titles as well as being POY for 3 years(which had never happen before).

Wow! Stating it that way does changed my thought some although I am still ok with the selection. Do you think they consider the body of work from previous years?

I've heard rumors but does anyone know why Selby was thrown out of John Carroll ?

Wow! Stating it that way does changed my thought some although I am still ok with the selection. Do you think they consider the body of work from previous years?

I am Ok with it as well, I just would have selected someone else. I think they do consider previous years some what. I do not think that's the case with Selby though.

Heyyy!:rolleyes: You still did not give a name for this year.

It doesnt really matter this year, i just thought it would be a 2 or 3 sport athlete.

A few other candidates from multiple sports that could be considered. Many are from the privates, although that is just because they are the ones i know best.

Joe Meurer, McDonogh football, lacrosse

Pat Carey, North County Football, wrestling

matt jablonski, Loyola Cross country, soccer (at the same time!) indoor/outdoor track.

Matt Hnatiuk, Loyola, football, wrestling, baseball

jennings, Gilman, Football, basketball

What bothers me as well about the selection, is the interviw with Selby about the selection. He brags about wanting to be a one and done at Kansas-- if he has to go 2,3,4 years it looked like it would be torture for him. Of course he was one and done at several high schools as well. . . Then to say it is everykid's dream. . . to do that.. turned my stomach.

All that said I don't think the award should go to anyone on the basis of what they may do in college or professionally, but should rather honor a students high school carreer.

A few other candidates from multiple sports that could be considered. Many are from the privates, although that is just because they are the ones i know best.

matt jablonski, Loyola Cross country, soccer (at the same time!) indoor/outdoor track.

What bothers me as well about the selection, is the interviw with Selby about the selection. He brags about wanting to be a one and done at Kansas-- if he has to go 2,3,4 years it looked like it would be torture for him. Of course he was one and done at several high schools as well. . . Then to say it is everykid's dream. . . to do that.. turned my stomach.

All that said I don't think the award should go to anyone on the basis of what they may do in college or professionally, but should rather honor a students high school carreer.

I agree with you for the most part but i cant sit hear and listen to that. School is not for Selby, he does not brag once about being one and done, he just states that he would like to, and that if the opportunity is there he will take it. The kid struggled with school, its not for everybody, and college damn sure isnt. Selby was the most dominating player in the NATION. Baltimore has never had that before, not pinning you down for hating, but you have to think about it from his perspective.

I agree with you for the most part but i cant sit hear and listen to that. School is not for Selby, he does not brag once about being one and done, he just states that he would like to, and that if the opportunity is there he will take it. The kid struggled with school, its not for everybody, and college damn sure isnt. Selby was the most dominating player in the NATION. Baltimore has never had that before, not pinning you down for hating, but you have to think about it from his perspective.

Damn, I agree with you for the first time. If that Jablonski kid is offered millions of dollars by Phil Knight to run in the Nike stable he might choose to forego college also.

I am not hating on Selby. He is clearly the best basketball player in the Metro area this year. He has been judged by some to be the best basketball HS player in the country, but the award is for the Athlete of the year. I will give him all the props in the world for basketball, but for overall athlete of the year i don;t think he qualifies.

The MPSSAA recognizes 12 male sports, and the MIAA for one also recognizes ice hockey, rugby, squash, men's volleyball, and water polo.

My thinking is that no matter how much you dominate one sport, an award for overall athlete is not one that you should win.

I personally believe it was a 4 athlete race, Selby, Jennings(who also led Gilman's track team to the MIAA championship and area#1 ranking), Justin Gross(football,indoor/outdoor track standout) and Jablonski.

Selby wasn't bragging he was just simply stating what he wants out of college. A lot of kids feel this way. His profession is going to be basketball. If a lawyer can become on in one year they would do the same. We all know what he is going to college for and so does the school. They are using him more than he is using them actually. So see no problem in what he said.