Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High School Soccer 2010

1,236 posts in this topic

I do not think that you can say any 4A team will win it all hands down. Especially a team like Urbana that has never won a state soccer championship. I think that they will be very good, but playing against the 4A teams in the state is very difficult. They had a great showing in the state finals, but I do not believe that they will win it all hands down. They may get it done, but not without a lot of competition.

I do not think that you can say any 4A team will win it all hands down. Especially a team like Urbana that has never won a state soccer championship. I think that they will be very good, but playing against the 4A teams in the state is very difficult. They had a great showing in the state finals, but I do not believe that they will win it all hands down. They may get it done, but not without a lot of competition.

If you look at Urbana's schedule last season they played some quality teams in the regular season and playoffs, which i think everyone would agree with. Now take that schedule and tell me which of those teams stayed the same or got any better? i say none except maybe Good Counsel. They play good private schools like Mount Saint Joe's and Good Counsel in their regular season to get ready for competition. They hold they're own against those teams so tell me what public school rivals them this season or any? So your right when you say they may not win hands down but id love to hear which teams in 4A are going to be competitive enough to play with them again.

Wilde lake is my pick in howard county. With marriotts ridge and hammond battling it out with them till the end of the year. MR will have a tough time after losing 9 starters but still have one of the top 5 players in the state right now in sullivan. Look for river hill to surprisingly be near the top despite losing tons of talent

I think Riverhill will not be as good this year since they lost a lot of good starters and their upcoming JV players aren't that amazing. Wilde Lake is a good pick but Atholton may be up there as well even though they lost their starting forward. I'm pretty sure they can find someone who can step up and put goals in for them.

Teams that may cause Urbana trouble - any of the region winners can cause them difficulty in the state semis or within their region - Magruder, Whitman, Curchill, Sherwood, Bowie, High Point, Broadneck, Severna Park, Perry Hall, etc...

As far as the regular season goes - MSJ, TJ (who they beat in penalty kicks), Tuscarora, Good Counsel.

They do have everyone returning and I'm not saying that Urbana won't beat these teams, I just think that it is hard for anyone to say that winning 4A hands down will occur. There are a lot of teams with a lot of talent returning. I did not mean to state the obvious, I just think at that level it is hard to declare a clear cut favorite, especially a team that won playoff games last year in penalty kicks, barely getting by Broadneck and losing in the final. They did win those games and that counts for a lot, so best of luck to them winning the 4A.

My sleeper in HoCo is Oakland Mills. It will be interesting to see if Shea's return can revamp that program. Lot of kids over there who don't play in clubs (for many it's a money issue), but play out on the school field a lot - something you don't see a whole lot anymore.

Teams that may cause Urbana trouble - any of the region winners can cause them difficulty in the state semis or within their region - Magruder, Whitman, Curchill, Sherwood, Bowie, High Point, Broadneck, Severna Park, Perry Hall, etc...

As far as the regular season goes - MSJ, TJ (who they beat in penalty kicks), Tuscarora, Good Counsel.

They do have everyone returning and I'm not saying that Urbana won't beat these teams, I just think that it is hard for anyone to say that winning 4A hands down will occur. There are a lot of teams with a lot of talent returning. I did not mean to state the obvious, I just think at that level it is hard to declare a clear cut favorite, especially a team that won playoff games last year in penalty kicks, barely getting by Broadneck and losing in the final. They did win those games and that counts for a lot, so best of luck to them winning the 4A.

First off i have a question for everyone that is talking about tuscarora lol why is anyone saying they will be good? they lost a good amount of their team and dont have any strong players, just because they did well last year automatically makes them good this year? lol and for hsfan33 TJ isnt as good as they were last season and MSJ and Good Counsel are the private teams that i said they play for competition. So basically noone in the regular season and if history repeats itself they won play but maybe one of the teams you mentioned. They have to play teams like Dulaney and Patterson s0o0o0o0o i dont see any truely great teams for them until Semis again maybe, with the exception of any private schools they face in the regular season. And with experienced starters playing against private schools for their 2nd or 3rd time during the regular season the only teams i see them having trouble with in the semis and beyond would be either Whitman again or Sherwood.

I do agree with you that its wrong to say they will win hands down because as we all know anything can happen in 4A. The reason im soo keen on Urbana is that it seems, to me atleast, that the competitivness of 4A has fallen a bit from last season. Urbana is one of the VERY few teams that did real well last season and has a strong core returning and good new talent joining the team. But im really hoping for an exciting season all around for 4A.

I don't know a state championship in 08 and in 09 a loss in the region final to the most impressive public school team in the state at least gives Tuscarora the chance to be competetive with Urbana. Yes, Urbana played Patterson and Dulaney last year, and did not play Perry Hall who was upset by Westminister. Perry Hall was pretty good, check their record against the privates and other top teams in the Metro area last year.

Winning a region is not easy!

Tuscarora did lose a lot, especially Meehan. Anyone know what Perry Hall, Whitman, High Point and Broadneck have returning?

Wilde lake is my pick in howard county. With marriotts ridge and hammond battling it out with them till the end of the year. MR will have a tough time after losing 9 starters but still have one of the top 5 players in the state right now in sullivan. Look for river hill to surprisingly be near the top despite losing tons of talent

wilde lake is a good choice. ODP they have a few players who play for a very strong U17 (U18 team this upcoming year) SAC PREMIER team that lost in the state final to Potomac. Actually the team is full of some of the best Howard County players including Wilde Lake, MR, River Hill and Hammond and is coached by River Hills Matt Shagague. I however do not think that River Hill will be good, they weren't THAT good last year and lost a lot of players. MR will be strong again. This Hammond team is better than the 2005 team that was a state finalist. Hands down.

I don't know about better than 2005 but they will be very good. But them, Wilde Lake, and MR should definitely be top 3 with Atholton as a sleeper. I wholeheartedly disagree with Oakland Mills being in contention at all.

I was hoping nobody would mention Perry Hall, because they should be very good by the end of the year. They are good up front and on defense, the only question marks will be goalie and midfield. They might be a little shaky early in the season(very tough schedule) by will improve greatly as the season goes along. Just a warning for Urbana, Perry Hall was in the same position last year in losing just 3 starters from a State runner-up team. PH's issue was bad team chemistry and then they went up against a unconsious goalie for Westminster in the playoffs, the goalie was phenominal. But I did see Urbana play last year, they were a very confident team, played well together and didn't seemd to get rattled. I think Dulaney could be a team to reckon with, but I can't remember how many players they are losing, but they did have some good unclassman last year.

Whew that's it fo me!

Dont overlook Centennial. They have some young talent, were playing their best soccer towards the end of the year and finished with similar record in County as Atholton and Hammond. Like W.L. and Atholton LY, they may be a year away from competing for the title.

Looks like there should be a good deal of parity in HoCo this year. M.R., R.H. and M.H. have all lost significant talent so expect them to take a step back, just depends on how big a step. Atholton loses a lot of goals but should be a stronger team overall. W.L. made a big splash last year knocking off M.R. early and should be in the mix big-time this year. Hammond will also have a strong squad with a good amount of quality players returning and should improve in the County (lost to Atholton, M.R., Reservoir, R.H. and W.L.). I will be surprised if a team wins 8 or 9 County games, but won't be surprised to see HoCo teams win Regionals in 3A and 2A.

Dont overlook Centennial. They have some young talent, were playing their best soccer towards the end of the year and finished with similar record in County as Atholton and Hammond. Like W.L. and Atholton LY, they may be a year away from competing for the title.

I'm not sure if Centennial will be strong this year. Even though they had similar records as other schools last year doesn't mean they are that strong. They had a similar record to Atholton because Atholton started losing most of their games toward the end of the year due to some of their better players having injuries or illnesses. Hammond and Wilde Lake will be strong this year as well as MR. Hammond has a big squad of seniors, I heard they have 14 seniors this year. So they are going to be a more aggressive tough team.

Centennial is definately a year away but don't be surprised if they're this year's W.L. and they knock off a few of the big boys. Unfortunately, injuries and illness are part of every teams season, hence the expression "you are what you're record says you are" so I shed no tears for Atholton. Does Hammond have any strong underclassmen? They seem to be returning most of a 6-win team, tough to get overly excited about that. Be careful banking on a ton of senoirs to get it done (see M.H. last year, loads of seniors, 6 County wins).

Centennial is definately a year away but don't be surprised if they're this year's W.L. and they knock off a few of the big boys. Unfortunately, injuries and illness are part of every teams season, hence the expression "you are what you're record says you are" so I shed no tears for Atholton. Does Hammond have any strong underclassmen? They seem to be returning most of a 6-win team, tough to get overly excited about that. Be careful banking on a ton of senoirs to get it done (see M.H. last year, loads of seniors, 6 County wins).

I'm not sure about a lot of underclassmen, but the two players I do know of Jake Nelson and an African-American boy who are seniors that play together on the SAC PREMIER team I mentioned earlier. Nelson used to play on the Potomac Academy team and may be the best player on that SAC team. They will be strong, they will be contenders.

What about Century? They won their Region last year only to be beaten 2-0 by Marriotsridge. I heard they are returning a number of Seniors including their top goal scorer.

Don't have a lot of knowledge about Carroll Cnty, sorry. I'm sure Nelson and Sindju (I think) are strong, all of the top teams (M.R., R.H., Atholton and W.L.) have multiple "Premier" Club players on their roster (some made All County last year), but 2 of the last 3 years it's been a Junior taking Player of the Year.

Shouldn't Reservoir be strong (they tied for 2nd last year)?

For reference that sac team's roster can be found here: http://www.gotsport.com/rankings/team.aspx?teamid=12433. They have 09 county first teamers in nelson and najib (who graduated) and second teamers in glazer and maybe some others. But I would expect a lot more names to be on the '10 all county teams, especially if they actually did make the state final

Don't have a lot of knowledge about Carroll Cnty, sorry. I'm sure Nelson and Sindju (I think) are strong, all of the top teams (M.R., R.H., Atholton and W.L.) have multiple "Premier" Club players on their roster (some made All County last year), but 2 of the last 3 years it's been a Junior taking Player of the Year.

Shouldn't Reservoir be strong (they tied for 2nd last year)?

yes. but reservoir lost their extremely big goalie. (over 6ft.) and they didnt have any JV or backup keepers that are nearly as good. Need something special between the pipes to be a special team.

For reference that sac team's roster can be found here: http://www.gotsport.com/rankings/team.aspx?teamid=12433. They have 09 county first teamers in nelson and najib (who graduated) and second teamers in glazer and maybe some others. But I would expect a lot more names to be on the '10 all county teams, especially if they actually did make the state final

The Bays U17 team also has some impact players in the County but they seem to have fallen off after winninng State Cup in '09. SAC U16 team is also strong, but the U15's appear to be the stud team ("pound for pound") so look for a few of those names too (they have another Martinelli!).

yes. but reservoir lost their extremely big goalie. (over 6ft.) and they didnt have any JV or backup keepers that are nearly as good. Need something special between the pipes to be a special team.

I agree. That's one of the reasons I like Centennial. I know Atholton, R.H. and M.R. have solid keepers, not sure about Hammond or W.L.

Hammond's keeper-who I thought was pretty good-graduated. I heard somewhere last spring that his younger brother is a keeper as well and can fill in.

Also heard that a goalie from Good Counsel-who played for Potomac Academy-is transferring to RH and could challenge for the keeper position...but I also heard that he might try out for kicker on the football team instead.

Hammond's keeper-who I thought was pretty good-graduated. I heard somewhere last spring that his younger brother is a keeper as well and can fill in.

Also heard that a goalie from Good Counsel-who played for Potomac Academy-is transferring to RH and could challenge for the keeper position...but I also heard that he might try out for kicker on the football team instead.

I heard the goalie from Good Counsel is pretty good. If he does choose to play soccer he could potentially replace the starting goalie at RH. This could benefit RH even more.

There are also many academy players scattered around the county. Hammond has a few from Potomac, RH's goalie is from Bays I think, and Atholton has at least one player from Bays and Potomac.

It's hard to predict who will win Countys because the game of soccer is pretty funny. Anything can happen in soccer.