Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High School Soccer 2010

1,236 posts in this topic

Final espn national ranks:

http://rise.espn.go.com/boys-soccer/team-rankings/fall-2010-rankings/Fall-2010.aspx?pursuit=BoysSoccer

Dematha: #4

Gilman: #45

Marriotts Ridge: #49

ESPN Maryland state rankings: 1. DeMatha (24-0-0*), 2. Gilman (17-2-3*), 3. Marriotts Ridge (18-1-0*), 4. Magruder (16-1-2*), 5. Urbana (16-2-1*).

NSCAA NATIONAL RANKINGS:

http://www.nscaa.com/hsRes.php?it=2378

Dematha: #3

Marriotts Ridge: #24

Final Post Rankings:

1)DeMatha

2)Episcopal

3)M.R.

4)Magruder

5)Res.

6)Urbana

7)Northern

8)S.P.

9)R.H.

10)Sidwell Friends

I thought I had wrapped it up for the season until someone told me to visit the Linganore Soccer website. Prominently displayed is the following quote:

"Saturday night saw the end of an 8 game win streak losing to Reservoir 3-0 in the state semifinals. It was the best run by the Lancers in 12 years. Our boys outplayed Reservoir in virtually every aspect of the game with more than twice as many scoring opportunities but were unable to find the net. Reservoir's only real weapon was a very tall forward and they were able to use that to score on three set pieces."

(http://www.linganoresoccer.com/index.php)

There's a fine line between pride and denial. I realize that the Resi loss was tough to swallow and that your side did have a lot of chances. But tough D is part of the game, as are set pieces. If you can't penetrate one and defend the other, then challenge yourselves to get better in those areas next season. Successful individuals learn to look in the mirror rather than blame others for their disappointments. Respect yourselves; Respect the game.

Final Post Rankings:

1)DeMatha

2)Episcopal

3)M.R.

4)Magruder

5)Res.

6)Urbana

7)Northern

8)S.P.

9)R.H.

10)Sidwell Friends

I'd agree more with the ESPN rankings and move Urbana ahead of Resi.

I thought I had wrapped it up for the season until someone told me to visit the Linganore Soccer website. Prominently displayed is the following quote:

"Saturday night saw the end of an 8 game win streak losing to Reservoir 3-0 in the state semifinals. It was the best run by the Lancers in 12 years. Our boys outplayed Reservoir in virtually every aspect of the game with more than twice as many scoring opportunities but were unable to find the net. Reservoir's only real weapon was a very tall forward and they were able to use that to score on three set pieces."

There's a fine line between pride and denial. I realize that the Resi loss was tough to swallow and that your side did have a lot of chances. But tough D is part of the game, as are set pieces. If you can't penetrate one and defend the other, then challenge yourselves to get better in those areas next season. Successful individuals learn to look in the mirror rather than blame others for their disappointments. Respect yourselves; Respect the game.

no joke. it was not really difficult for me to congratulate marriott's ridge. it was the right thing to do and they deserved it.

no joke. it was not really difficult for me to congratulate marriott's ridge. it was the right thing to do and they deserved it.

That's because Liberty is a class act - players and coaches.

Happy Thanksgiving!

That quote is awful.

If you get beat 3-0 walk away and try to learn from it, don't try to make excuses.

What if that's truly his opinion about the game? Lately, I've hated the media for scrutinizing everything athletes and coaches say. If he thinks they outplayed Res, then let him be. All that matters is that state title -- that's it. If Ling's coach thinks he can win by saying these things, more power to him.

What if that's truly his opinion about the game? Lately, I've hated the media for scrutinizing everything athletes and coaches say. If he thinks they outplayed Res, then let him be. All that matters is that state title -- that's it. If Ling's coach thinks he can win by saying these things, more power to him.

I guess that's one way to look at it. But if those are the words of the Coach (I have no idea if they are, but let's assume this given your commentary), then there is only one way a vastly superior side loses to an 11 person team comprised of a single talented player. Ling was out-coached. If, at the end of trashing Res as essentially unworthy of the victory -- Boo Hoo, you want some cheese with that w(h)ine -- the writer added a single sentence admitting they were outcoached (or out-hustled, or out-something), then I could have at least respected the writer. But to give no credit to your opponent or to admit any failure on your team's part shows both poor sportsmanship and lousy leadership.

I want to believe that the greater Linganore community are far better sportsmen than this poorly misguided web-site editor lost in his/her self-absorbed fantasy world.

I guess that's one way to look at it. But if those are the words of the Coach (I have no idea if they are, but let's assume this given your commentary), then there is only one way a vastly superior side loses to an 11 person team comprised of a single talented player. Ling was out-coached. If, at the end of trashing Res as essentially unworthy of the victory -- Boo Hoo, you want some cheese with that w(h)ine -- the writer added a single sentence admitting they were outcoached (or out-hustled, or out-something), then I could have at least respected the writer. But to give no credit to your opponent or to admit any failure on your team's part shows both poor sportsmanship and lousy leadership.

I want to believe that the greater Linganore community are far better sportsmen than this poorly misguided web-site editor lost in his/her self-absorbed fantasy world.

Agreed, the writer could've done something... But now the assumed coach has that reputation to live with. Either way, he loses.

"Saturday night saw the end of an 8 game win streak losing to Reservoir 3-0 in the state semifinals. It was the best run by the Lancers in 12 years. Our boys outplayed Reservoir in virtually every aspect of the game with more than twice as many scoring opportunities but were unable to find the net. Reservoir's only real weapon was a very tall forward and they were able to use that to score on three set pieces."(http://www.linganoresoccer.com/index.php)

What's that old expression - "Fool me once, your fault. Fool me twice, my fault. Fool me three times and I'm not a very good coach"? Something like that.