Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gonzoliberal

Why Marijuana Is Central to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

312 posts in this topic

Baloney. Maybe people just don't think legalizing another mind altering substance is a good idea. It has nothing to do with religion.

It's not actually a "mind altering substance." Your not putting anything in your brain that isn't already there. Mind supplementing or mind enhancing sure. But mind altering. :rolleyes: Good Lord no.

"Mind altering" is that another way of saying people are changing their minds about Marijuana? :D:P

Hmm... so what other intrusive laws would you like to see created ??

What is intrusive to one is common sense to many. Some perverts like to have sex with kids. They find laws against that intrusive as well.

I used to think that. Then I grew up.

I'm kind of ambivilent about whether pot gets legalized. I don't smoke it no more, except under very special circumstances.

But I think you need to go back much farther than Nixon to find the roots of marijuana law.

Reefer madness, anyone?

Adults smoking weed is juvinile and embarrasing. Grow up and set better examples for our youth.:rolleyes:

Hmm... so what other intrusive laws would you like to see created ??

Do you mean they've already missed some?

It's not actually a "mind altering substance." Your not putting anything in your brain that isn't already there. Mind supplementing or mind enhancing sure. But mind altering. :rolleyes: Good Lord no.

"Mind altering" is that another way of saying people are changing their minds about Marijuana? :D:P

It doesn't take a genius to know that marijuana slows the reflexes as well as cognition. Do you want the pilot on your next flight puffing weed? How about people driving on the highway?

Marijuana should be reclassified, sold openly, and taxed just like alcohol and tobacco, being as though it's less dangerous than both.

I think the better and easier way to go is that the DEA Schedules should only apply to medical uses. ;)

The problem with legalizing all drugs is that under Obamacare we're ultimately going to have to foot the bill to clean up addicts. Therefore, I can't support legalization at this time.

In a perfect world, with a government not run by Marxists hellbent on socializing the entire nation, I'd be all for legalization. But I don't feel like paying for rehab through even higher taxes.

It doesn't take a genius to know that marijuana slows the reflexes as well as cognition. Do you want the pilot on your next flight puffing weed? How about people driving on the highway?

No-I much prefer them to be drunk.

No-I much prefer them to be drunk.

Thanks for making my point. Why would we want yet another problem on our hands by freely dispensing marijuana?

Adults smoking weed is juvinile and embarrasing. Grow up and set better examples for our youth.:rolleyes:

No more so then drinking a beer.

We have laws against alcohol use in these situations. Yet 30,000 people die each year on American highways. We can test for drugs with pretty much the same accuracy as alcohol.

Why can't the laws cover drugs as well?

I find it the height of hypocrisy that alcohol and tobacco, two substances with serious health implications are legal, while herb is not.

We have laws against alcohol use in these situations. We can test for drugs with pretty much the same accuracy as alcohol.

I find it the height of hypocrisy that alcohol and tobacco, two substances with serious health implications are legal, while herb is not.

The genie is out of the bottle with alcohol. Not so with marijuana. The question, as I said, is why create yet another grab bag of problems, which are sure to come, by legalizing it? The costs will outweigh the benefits, if any.

We have laws against alcohol use in these situations. Yet 30,000 people die each year on American highways. We can test for drugs with pretty much the same accuracy as alcohol.

Double dittos:cool:

I feel the same when I hear of someone at my work place getting fired because a random wiz test detected the joint he/she smoked last weekend, while I know for a fact some who drink their lunch every day and spend the afternoon in a beer buzzed bliss.

But that's just me.

Edited by Baltimatt

The problem with legalizing all drugs is that under Obamacare we're ultimately going to have to foot the bill to clean up addicts. Therefore, I can't support legalization at this time.

In a perfect world, with a government not run by Marxists hellbent on socializing the entire nation, I'd be all for legalization. But I don't feel like paying for rehab through even higher taxes.

MJ is not addictive but alcohol is. Do you pay for alcohol rehab for those addicts?

WHAT?

No one stated legalizing all drugs, only Marijuana, which is not addicting! B)

Thanks for making my point. Why would we want yet another problem on our hands by freely dispensing marijuana?

That didn't make your point-there are folks who will abuse any substance and sometimes our lives will be in their hands-pilot, surgeon,etc, yet despite all the rules/regulations pilots fly impaired and doctors operate drunk and most certainly people drive all the time under the influence.

It ain't the substance-it's the individual.

And if you think pot is not "freely dispensed" ask any teenager which is easier to obtain-pot or booze.

MJ is not addictive my arse.

If you think it is then you don't know anything about true addiction.

Inspired by the founders' Federalist Papers, a group of reformers have penned a series of essays exploring the role of cannabinoids in Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Interesting read...

excerpt;

Here we are in 2010 still living under Nixon’s law. That is our history: our tomorrow is much different. That’s because the tide has turned – and it’s a scientific tide. The endocannabinoid system (ECS) and the science surrounding this remarkable biological modulator, have transformed the battlefield and the logic of the CSA. This is no longer a civil war: it has morphed into a war between science and ignorance.

Hmnhm... science and ignorance, eh?

...and we all know the preference of the TeaParty-inspired "right".

Hmmm, those who are seemingly ignorant as to what the tea party. It's about the consitutional role of government.

And it's about the economy stu******....:)

I know of no one who gives a hoot about pot right now.

If you think it is then you don't know anything about true addiction.

Is marijuana use addictive?

Long-term marijuana use can lead to addiction for some people; that is, they use the drug compulsively even though it often interferes with family, school, work, and recreational activities. According to the 2003 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), an estimated 21.6 million Americans aged 12 or older were classified with substance dependence or abuse (9.1 percent of the total population). Of the estimated 6.9 million Americans classified with dependence on or abuse of illicit drugs, 4.2 million were dependent on or abused marijuana.57 In 2002, 15 percent of people entering drug abuse treatment programs reported that marijuana was their primary drug of abuse.58

Along with craving, withdrawal symptoms can make it hard for long-term marijuana smokers to stop using the drug.49 People trying to quit report irritability, difficulty sleeping, and anxiety.59,60 They also display increased aggression on psychological tests, peaking approximately 1 week after they last used the drug.61

In addition to its addictive liability, research indicates that early exposure to marijuana can increase the likelihood of a lifetime of subsequent drug problems. A recent study of over 300 fraternal and identical twin pairs, who differed on whether or not they used marijuana before the age of 17, found that those who had used marijuana early had elevated rates of other drug use and drug problems later on, compared with their twins, who did not use marijuana before age 17. This study re-emphasizes the importance of primary prevention by showing that early drug initiation is associated with increased risk of later drug problems, and it provides more evidence for why preventing marijuana experimentation during adolescence could have an impact on preventing addiction.62

Link: http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchReports/Marijuana/Marijuana4.html

Actually, YOU don't know what the he77 you're talking about.

It is funny watching drinkers try to argue against weed. That has to be the epitome of hypocrisy.