Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gonzoliberal

Why Marijuana Is Central to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

312 posts in this topic

It is funny watching drinkers try to argue against weed. That has to be the epitome of hypocrisy.

Yep, cigarette smokers too.

Baloney. Maybe people just don't think legalizing another mind altering substance is a good idea. It has nothing to do with religion.

Beat me to it.

Speaking of ignorance, well that post.............

Baloney. Maybe people just don't think legalizing another mind altering substance is a good idea. It has nothing to do with religion.

Unless you're a Rastafarian....B)

[/color][/size]

Link: http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchReports/Marijuana/Marijuana4.html

Actually, YOU don't know what the he77 you're talking about.

Your source is suspect and biased and the definition of addiction used is too broad. I don't need an article to tell me what I know from experiance. Withdrawal from alcohol can be fatal, withdrawal from weed can be psychologically uncomfortable but there are no real physical symptoms.

Your source is suspect and biased and the definition of addiction used is too broad. I don't need an article to tell me what I know from experiance. Withdrawal from alcohol can be fatal, withdrawal from weed can be psychologically uncomfortable but there are no real physical symptoms.

Link?

Some chose not to accept, is that millions of people across the United States already use Marijuana illegally and legally.

I guess the clinics are filled with addicts. :rolleyes:

Unless you're a Rastafarian....B)

Zoroastrian, Pagan, Native American, Jewish, Amathionian, etc. etc.

You really don't have a clue do you? Evangelicals have been arguing against legalizing pot for years and since they've always made up a significant voting block, politicians don't want to touch the issue.

Even now, 80% of Americans support legalizing marijuana but for some reason it's still illegal even though it's been proven alcohol is much more dangerous. So if you're going to use the "mind altering" substance argument, logic would tell us you support making alcohol illegal right?

WRONG. Why? Because we already have been down that road and know it leads nowhere. In fact, when alcohol prohibition was lifted, it damn near put the mob out of business.

You really don't have a clue do you? Evangelicals have been arguing against legalizing pot for years and since they've always made up a significant voting block, politicians don't want to touch the issue.

Even now, 80% of Americans support legalizing marijuana but for some reason it's still illegal even though it's been proven alcohol is much more dangerous. So if you're going to use the "mind altering" substance argument, logic would tell us you support making alcohol illegal right?

WRONG. Why? Because we already have been down that road and know it leads nowhere. In fact, when alcohol prohibition was lifted, it damn near put the mob out of business.

The alcohol argument could be used to advocate for the legalization of pretty much any substance. As I said, alcohol is an established fact. Would it be better if we didn't have widespread alcohol use? No doubt but that is hardly an argument for marijuana. I'd also like to see polls showing 80% of Americans favor legalization. Of course, mobs of people have historically supported all sorts of bad ideas so this would hardly be a first.

The genie is out of the bottle with alcohol. Not so with marijuana. The question, as I said, is why create yet another grab bag of problems, which are sure to come, by legalizing it? The costs will out weight the benefits, if any.

That genie isn't out of the bottle as well? I don't have any verifiable figures, but I'd say millions with a "s" smoke pot.

I doubt we'd be having this disagreement if the subject were guns. Pretty much the same points apply. You have people that would be reasonable with pot, you'd have people that would not.

Why penalize the responsible people?

That genie isn't out of the bottle as well? I don't have any verifiable figures, but I'd say millions with a "s" smoke pot.

I doubt we'd be having this disagreement if the subject were guns. Pretty much the same points apply. You have people that would be reasonable with pot, you'd have people that would not.

Why penalize the responsible people?

I have no figures either but I'd venture to say that the regular users of pot are a drop in the ocean to those who drink beer, wine and spirits. My point is why make that number vastly larger?

The alcohol argument could be used to advocate for the legalization of pretty much any substance. As I said, alcohol is an established fact. Would it be better if we didn't have widespread alcohol use? No doubt but that is hardly an argument for marijuana. I'd also like to see polls showing 80% of Americans favor legalization. Of course, mobs of people have historically supported all sorts of bad ideas so this would hardly be a first.
Not sure about 80% because that's a hard number to get folks to agree about anything. But I think I have read % as high as 70 depending on education level and geograghics.

In the same token, I'm sure you could get polls that believe 30% of Americans think organized religon or even fast food should be illegal, so excuse me if I don't jump in on your minority opinions.

I have no figures either but I'd venture to say that the regular users of pot are a drop in the ocean to those who drink beer, wine and spirits. My point is why make that number vastly larger?

Because having it being illegal causes more problems then if it were legal, controlled and taxed like alcohol. Additionally people under the influence of weed are much less likely to be involved in anti social behavior than those drinking alcohol.

Because having it being illegal causes more problems then if it were legal, controlled and taxed like alcohol. Additionally people under the influence of weed are much less likely to be involved in anti social behavior than those drinking alcohol.

Countries like Holland have done similar things with harder drugs and it hasn't worked too well. One could rationally make the argument that we should legalize anything to control and tax it and take it out of the hands of criminals but what kind of society would that make? I just have an aversion to legalizing something simply because lots of people do it anyway.

How much does marijuana cost these days? When I was in college, way before the "war on drugs" it cost about ten dollars per ounce and serious criminal types were not involved in the transactions (so I have heard).

Not sure about 80% because that's a hard number to get folks to agree about anything. But I think I have read % as high as 70 depending on education level and geograghics.

In the same token, I'm sure you could get polls that believe 30% of Americans think organized religon or even fast food should be illegal, so excuse me if I don't jump in on your minority opinions.

Nobody is asking you to jump in on anything.

Countries like Holland have done similar things with harder drugs and it hasn't worked too well.

We are not talking about heroin here, we are talking about weed.

One could rationally make the argument that we should legalize anything to control and tax it and take it out of the hands of criminals but what kind of society would that make?

It would be a society where we are free to do what we want with our own bodies. What legal standing does the government have to prohibit it's citizens from ingesting a natural substance? Does the goverment own our bodies or do we?

I just have an aversion to legalizing something simply because lots of people do it anyway.

We did that with alcohol or would you prefer we go back to prohibition of that drug?

We are not talking about heroin here, we are talking about weed.

It would be a society where we are free to do what we want with our own bodies. What legal standing does the government have to prohibit it's citizens from ingesting a natural substance? Does the goverment own our bodies or do we?

We did that with alcohol or would you prefer we go back to prohibition of that drug?

Alcohol was legal and then made illegal. That's an entirely different situation. As for controlling your body, that sounds great until it starts to affect others who have to foot the bill for crimes, accidents, medical treatments, etc. Overall, we have much bigger fish to fry than this. I just don't think it's a good idea and I've stated why.

Alcohol was legal and then made illegal.

Uhhh.. so was everything that's currently illegal ...lol

gonzo, you DON'T know anything about the TEA Party inspired right. In your tiny brain, you see a bunch of redneck uber Christian busybodies. You couldn't be farther from the truth for many TEA Party members.

Well their are a lot of Christian busybodies. Alot of ethnic haters. And some waterfront peeps.:D