Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lorn

how much does it cost to get a car's AC fixed?

38 posts in this topic

2002 Honda Accord.

Sounds like the AC is running, but no cool air. I wouldn't worry about it, but I'll be doing a lot of driving, and then need to get out of the car in a business suit without looking like I've been sitting in a sauna.

I know the price of the fix may depend on what is wrong, but anyone know a ballpark figure?

Hi Lorn. LTNS. The price for fixing the AC in my Tracker was $1,300.

Lorn, if the A/C just needs to be serviced and charged, you might get away with a much lower price. However, I received an estimate for our vehicle before our Impala (a Lebaron) and they wanted about $900 to replace the system.

Maybe our resident mechanic will see this and have a better idea? I'm sorry. I can't imagine not having A/C and especially with a business suit on. I hope it can be resolved without spending too much.

Have you had it serviced lately? Here a A/C service is around £60-£80 ($100-140?) and some companies guarantee a minimum 25% improvement in cooling efficiency afterwards.

RB, I hope that's an overestimate... :)

I was hoping the figure might be a few hundred at the most. Close to $1000 though...ugh. Thanks for the info, Sprightly and WM. WKDWZD, the car had basic service in maybe January. In PA, you have to have the car inspected annually. But I don't know if that would have included checking the AC.

If all they are going to do is evacuate and refill the freon (charge the system) it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars. If they have to replace the compressor or condenser, then more like $800. If the entire system is being replaced, then you're looking at well over $1,200.

If all they are going to do is evacuate and refill the freon (charge the system) it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars. If they have to replace the compressor or condenser, then more like $800. If the entire system is being replaced, then you're looking at well over $1,200.

Thank you -- very helpful info. :)

WKDWZD, the car had basic service in maybe January. In PA, you have to have the car inspected annually. But I don't know if that would have included checking the AC.

Obviously I don't know what is included on a US service sheet, but over here, the A/C air filter is part of the service, but apparently, the system needs to be re-gassed periodically. My own cars A/C (a Honda) is becoming noticeably less efficient and about due for attention, thats why I know the prices, I've looked around, ;) and that's @ 5 years and 24,000 miles.

AC is not part of a vehicle safety inspection.

The cost will vary greatly depending on what's wrong. Most parts will be a couple hundred dollars.

Just re-filling the system with freon will likely be around $100... but remember, it had to leak out from somewhere!

2002 Honda Accord.

Sounds like the AC is running, but no cool air. I wouldn't worry about it, but I'll be doing a lot of driving, and then need to get out of the car in a business suit without looking like I've been sitting in a sauna.

I know the price of the fix may depend on what is wrong, but anyone know a ballpark figure?

lorn.. the wife drives an '03 accord.. sounds like the compressor has bitten the dust. for us to replace it last year cost us $900..

You probably just need and EVAC and recharge. $150-200.

Compressor $750-800

Condensor can be expensive just tell them it ok to use and aftermarket condensor. There usually a $400-500 difference.

simple recharge of the freon should do the trick here.

How can you guys can't say that based on a description over the internet?

You can't. ;)

If all the freon leaked out of a fairly new car... you have a problem.

You have a leak somewhere that'll need to be fixed... or it's just gonna leak out again. It's a sealed system.

Simply adding freon will just be a waste of money, and will not fix anything long term.

I would first try Walmart or a autozone type place. They have Freon in a bottle you can do it yourself. It's worth a try for the $10 compared to a $100 checkout fee from a dealer.

First off, start the engine and look at the A/C compressor while the A/C is off, and then have someone turn it on. Upon turning it on, the magnetic clutch in the compressor pulley energizes and engages, causing it to turn the compressor (that's why the pulley always seems to spin when the engine's running, but the A/C compressor is not actually turning internally).

If it energizes and it turns the compressor without interupption, chances are your refrigerant levels are fine and you have some interior blockage in your ducts- either a blend or recirculation door). But if it chronically cycles on-off-on-off, that's a sign of low refrigerant.

*grabs the curtain and flings it open for effect and in a deep voice says*

An arm and a leg! :P

B)

How can you guys can't say that based on a description over the internet?

You can't. ;)

If all the freon leaked out of a fairly new car... you have a problem.

You have a leak somewhere that'll need to be fixed... or it's just gonna leak out again. It's a sealed system.

Simply adding freon will just be a waste of money, and will not fix anything long term.

It could last a year or more, leak or not.

Many times a shot of freon revived my vehicles AC for a extended period of time.

Four years ago it cost me around $600 and that was because labor was cheaper and rebuilt parts were used. I have a 91 Honda Civic and a great mechanic. It's still running well.

First off, start the engine and look at the A/C compressor while the A/C is off, and then have someone turn it on. Upon turning it on, the magnetic clutch in the compressor pulley energizes and engages, causing it to turn the compressor (that's why the pulley always seems to spin when the engine's running, but the A/C compressor is not actually turning internally).

If it energizes and it turns the compressor without interupption, chances are your refrigerant levels are fine and you have some interior blockage in your ducts- either a blend or recirculation door). But if it chronically cycles on-off-on-off, that's a sign of low refrigerant.

And this is why I would pay $800 - $1200 to have someone fix it :P I ain't standing over my engine when someone turns it on, plus I have no idea where my compressor is or what it looks like.

I just had mine fixed. I thought it was the compressor but it wasn't. I had a hole in one of the lines. They had to replace the line with a Mopar part, new freon and oil, and the total came out to $360.00. The diagnostic test before the repair was $50.00. I was told a dealership compressor would be almost $500 and a off the shelf would be about $300.

2002 Honda Accord.

If you can find somebody or somebody that knows somebody that does the work at home on the side, you can probably save about 40-50% off a shop price. After market replacement parts work just fine, and come with the same warranty as dealer parts. That ain't no lie.

Depends what's wrong. For awhile, I had to have mine charged every year, which typically costs around $100, because it had a verrrrry slow leak - a charge would last about a cooling season. Eventually I had to replace the evaporator, inside the dashboard, and that cost around $700.

To diagnose it, they will put in freon with a marker dye in it that fluoresces under UV. Then when the cooling stops working you take it back in and they identify where the dye has sprayed and from that where the leak is, and they will be able to tell you what it will cost. If the problem is the evaporator inside the car they won't see the dye.

Evaporators don't fail that often. I got unlucky. It is probably an o-ring somewhere, and depending where it shouldn't cost too much. If the compressor has failed that's likely a few hundred dollars.

If it holds a charge for a long while you can opt not to repair it, as I did for several years when I was considering replacing the car. When I decided to keep it 'til it died I decided to replace the part. If you decide not to repair the leak you might have to get the car recharged from time to time.

...bring a towel...

bikini.

arrive about 30 minutes early and ask the receptionist where the rest rooms are, so you can change clothes.

that's the way to do it...

BTW, bikini clad mobile uploads can be emailed directly to Aga@hottiemail.com

Oh, and Semi@babeoftheday.com