Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

how much does it cost to get a car's AC fixed?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 lorn

lorn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,896 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

2002 Honda Accord.

Sounds like the AC is running, but no cool air. I wouldn't worry about it, but I'll be doing a lot of driving, and then need to get out of the car in a business suit without looking like I've been sitting in a sauna.

I know the price of the fix may depend on what is wrong, but anyone know a ballpark figure?

#2 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,181 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

Hi Lorn. LTNS. The price for fixing the AC in my Tracker was $1,300.
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#3 Webmommy

Webmommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

Lorn, if the A/C just needs to be serviced and charged, you might get away with a much lower price. However, I received an estimate for our vehicle before our Impala (a Lebaron) and they wanted about $900 to replace the system.

Maybe our resident mechanic will see this and have a better idea? I'm sorry. I can't imagine not having A/C and especially with a business suit on. I hope it can be resolved without spending too much.

#4 Red Baron

Red Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,953 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:54 AM

Billions and billions of dollars.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Did any of these groups protest against Big Government when it was illegally tapping our phones and denying habeas corpus rights... What we confront, in the anti-reform mobs, are people who approve of coercion and lawlessness, including when it is used by a strong leader... This mimics several of the characteristics Hannah Arendt discovered in the mobs tht brought totalitarianism to the modern world. -- Paul Grenier

#5 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Bloody Foreigner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,763 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

Have you had it serviced lately? Here a A/C service is around £60-£80 ($100-140?) and some companies guarantee a minimum 25% improvement in cooling efficiency afterwards.
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

#6 lorn

lorn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,896 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:02 AM

RB, I hope that's an overestimate... :)

I was hoping the figure might be a few hundred at the most. Close to $1000 though...ugh. Thanks for the info, Sprightly and WM. WKDWZD, the car had basic service in maybe January. In PA, you have to have the car inspected annually. But I don't know if that would have included checking the AC.

#7 Up2DaRack

Up2DaRack

Largo al Factotum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

If all they are going to do is evacuate and refill the freon (charge the system) it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars. If they have to replace the compressor or condenser, then more like $800. If the entire system is being replaced, then you're looking at well over $1,200.
  • There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, therefore it is good"; the other says, "This is new, therefore it is better." (W.R. Inge)
  • Talent is God-given - be humble. Fame is man-given - be thankful. Conceit is self-given - be careful. (John Wooden)

#8 lorn

lorn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,896 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

If all they are going to do is evacuate and refill the freon (charge the system) it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars. If they have to replace the compressor or condenser, then more like $800. If the entire system is being replaced, then you're looking at well over $1,200.

Thank you -- very helpful info. :)

#9 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Bloody Foreigner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,763 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

WKDWZD, the car had basic service in maybe January. In PA, you have to have the car inspected annually. But I don't know if that would have included checking the AC.

Obviously I don't know what is included on a US service sheet, but over here, the A/C air filter is part of the service, but apparently, the system needs to be re-gassed periodically. My own cars A/C (a Honda) is becoming noticeably less efficient and about due for attention, thats why I know the prices, I've looked around, ;) and that's @ 5 years and 24,000 miles.
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

#10 MR.WINDSTREAM

MR.WINDSTREAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

AC is not part of a vehicle safety inspection.

The cost will vary greatly depending on what's wrong. Most parts will be a couple hundred dollars.
Just re-filling the system with freon will likely be around $100... but remember, it had to leak out from somewhere!

#11 Sir Jazzalot

Sir Jazzalot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,454 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

2002 Honda Accord.

Sounds like the AC is running, but no cool air. I wouldn't worry about it, but I'll be doing a lot of driving, and then need to get out of the car in a business suit without looking like I've been sitting in a sauna.

I know the price of the fix may depend on what is wrong, but anyone know a ballpark figure?

lorn.. the wife drives an '03 accord.. sounds like the compressor has bitten the dust. for us to replace it last year cost us $900..
He who angers you, controls you...

#12 Jeffro126

Jeffro126

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

You probably just need and EVAC and recharge. $150-200.
Compressor $750-800
Condensor can be expensive just tell them it ok to use and aftermarket condensor. There usually a $400-500 difference.

#13 FearTheRaven

FearTheRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

simple recharge of the freon should do the trick here.

#14 MR.WINDSTREAM

MR.WINDSTREAM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

simple recharge of the freon should do the trick here.

How can you guys can't say that based on a description over the internet?

You can't. ;)

If all the freon leaked out of a fairly new car... you have a problem.
You have a leak somewhere that'll need to be fixed... or it's just gonna leak out again. It's a sealed system.
Simply adding freon will just be a waste of money, and will not fix anything long term.

#15 Jeffro126

Jeffro126

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:28 AM

I would first try Walmart or a autozone type place. They have Freon in a bottle you can do it yourself. It's worth a try for the $10 compared to a $100 checkout fee from a dealer.

#16 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,722 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

First off, start the engine and look at the A/C compressor while the A/C is off, and then have someone turn it on. Upon turning it on, the magnetic clutch in the compressor pulley energizes and engages, causing it to turn the compressor (that's why the pulley always seems to spin when the engine's running, but the A/C compressor is not actually turning internally).

If it energizes and it turns the compressor without interupption, chances are your refrigerant levels are fine and you have some interior blockage in your ducts- either a blend or recirculation door). But if it chronically cycles on-off-on-off, that's a sign of low refrigerant.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"This little piggie should have stayed home

#17 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

*grabs the curtain and flings it open for effect and in a deep voice says*

An arm and a leg! :P

:cool:
Flu

What is a veteran? This is the best definition I've found:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

#18 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,579 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:48 PM

How can you guys can't say that based on a description over the internet?

You can't. ;)

If all the freon leaked out of a fairly new car... you have a problem.
You have a leak somewhere that'll need to be fixed... or it's just gonna leak out again. It's a sealed system.
Simply adding freon will just be a waste of money, and will not fix anything long term.

It could last a year or more, leak or not.

Many times a shot of freon revived my vehicles AC for a extended period of time.

#19 CountessMeout

CountessMeout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

Four years ago it cost me around $600 and that was because labor was cheaper and rebuilt parts were used. I have a 91 Honda Civic and a great mechanic. It's still running well.
CountessMeout

#20 Guest_Downunder_*

Guest_Downunder_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

First off, start the engine and look at the A/C compressor while the A/C is off, and then have someone turn it on. Upon turning it on, the magnetic clutch in the compressor pulley energizes and engages, causing it to turn the compressor (that's why the pulley always seems to spin when the engine's running, but the A/C compressor is not actually turning internally).

If it energizes and it turns the compressor without interupption, chances are your refrigerant levels are fine and you have some interior blockage in your ducts- either a blend or recirculation door). But if it chronically cycles on-off-on-off, that's a sign of low refrigerant.

And this is why I would pay $800 - $1200 to have someone fix it :P I ain't standing over my engine when someone turns it on, plus I have no idea where my compressor is or what it looks like.