Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daravenator

stocks you like for growth in the future

367 posts in this topic

with the baby boomers going into retirement I have been looking at 2 pharmacutical companies merck MRK

AND PFIZER PFE. any thoughts on stocks of the future?

British Petroleum

not sure they quite hit bottom yet let alone fix the leak

Stock picking is a fool's game. Buy an index fund, contribute to it every month and forget about it.

with the baby boomers going into retirement I have been looking at 2 pharmacutical companies merck MRK

AND PFIZER PFE. any thoughts on stocks of the future?

Merck is the subject of three or four major lawsuits right now. Are you sure you want to back that horse? Pfizer isn't much cleaner right now, either.

Stock picking is a fool's game. Buy an index fund, contribute to it every month and forget about it.

Id rather pick my own than leave it to some clown in a suit.

Those clowns often do their homework and produce excellent results with controlled levels of risk. It is not easy to pick stocks. It takes a lot of work and even then it is easy to end up with lemons or lack of diversification or some other wall street 101 f-up.

Folks picking stocks based on a hunch or an emotional feeling about the worth of a corporation are literally playing roulette with their money.

Folks picking stocks based on a hunch or an emotional feeling about the worth of a corporation are literally playing roulette with their money.

Never play the market unless you can afford to lose the money.

My family has done quite well with stocks. Usually have 3-4 at one time. GE has performed quite well for me this year bouncing around 14-19.

And I agree with dogstarr. Quite a few of these people do nothing with your portfolio. They have bigger clients to worry about. My father has been earning 20+% over the past couple years while the "pro" was earning less than 6%

we talked about GE on this forum earlier this year I do like their diversification and global status.

Those clowns often do their homework and produce excellent results with controlled levels of risk. It is not easy to pick stocks. It takes a lot of work and even then it is easy to end up with lemons or lack of diversification or some other wall street 101 f-up.

All the good it does when a dart can do as well. :P

Can Monkeys Pick Stocks Better than Experts?

Never play the market unless you can afford to lose the money.

This is true, I knew somwone once who would say stock trading is the unlimate game and money is just a way to keep the score.

Some managers are much better than others, I think you need some of as much as you can do, ie stocks bonds funds ect I happen to prefer the stocks, high risk, higher rewards. I do have a lot of savings bonds from back when they paid a good interest.

GE is a buy at current prices but Im buying EGLE

you mentioned this stock before I will have to check it out

GE is a buy at current prices but Im buying EGLE

You had a bunch of that already? Didn't you take a bath already when it went way down?

It is low but what do you see as a timeframe for them to pop back up?

It seems to me they are tied to Americans buying dry goods again ...and that may not happen for some time.

Do you even know how an index fund works?

I'm not sure what that is

are you picking a certain sector of funds in the market that are related?

Ill take my 15%-20% a year from stocks and run. Im not going to change what I been doing unless its broke.

You had a bunch of that already? Didn't you take a bath already when it went way down?

It is low but what do you see as a timeframe for them to pop back up?

It seems to me they are tied to Americans buying dry goods again ...and that may not happen for some time.

With EGLE I am down about 10% on paper but because I have been trading it and each time increasing the number of shares, I am sure I am in the green.

My goal is to accumulate shares over time. Waiting for the return to divideneds.

If you like to trade, this one as well as other dry bulk shippers are good money makers, they are constantly going up and down.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=egle

For EGLE they are more tied to China's steel industry, they haul iron ore, and have been steadely increasing the size of their fleet.

they are a little to broad for me, i like to pick out the good spots and leave the fat for others. Besides I enjoy the game.