Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zack80

Are the days of MIAA lax dominance numbered?

87 posts in this topic

One can look at ILs top 100 and see 5 Md public school players, all going to good lax colleges. If this trend continues, will it seem worth it to send a kid to a private school to promote his lacrosse game?

41. Rustin Bryant, A, Hereford (Md.)/Maryland

44. Quinn Haley, A, Queen Anne’s (Md.)/Maryland

46. Jimmy Marlatt, M, River Hill (Md.)/Notre Dame

51B. Jake Haley, G, Queen Anne's (Md.)/Georgetown

53. Greg Edmonds, M, Centennial (Md.)/ Johns Hopkins

One can look at ILs top 100 and see 5 Md public school players, all going to good lax colleges. If this trend continues, will it seem worth it to send a kid to a private school to promote his lacrosse game?

I'm sorry, but is this your metric? Plenty of laxers from pubs have been going to good D1A programs. Severna Park sends a handful (or more) pretty much every year. So the top public school lax programs continue to send a handful of kids to play D1A lax. IMO, there's nothing new here.

The question to ask is - is the % changing? I'm not sure you can make any inference from the data presented above.

This much we do know, however, the number of applications to private schools has been droping. presumably due to the economy.

So 5 out of 100 are public school kids and that is a trend? With the number of kids participating in public schools they better get that many.

So 5 out of 100 are public school kids and that is a trend? With the number of kids participating in public schools they better get that many.

The 100 is for lacrosse players throughout the country.

7. Joe Meurer, LSM, McDonogh (Md.)/Ohio State

10. R.G. Keenan, F/O,Boys’ Latin (Md.)/North Carolina

24. Greg Dutton, G, Calvert Hall (Md.)/Ohio State

29. Pat Powderly, A, St. Paul’s (Md.)/Syracuse

36. Brian Cooper, M, Archbishop Spalding (Md.)/Maryland

39. Patrick Foster, A, Boys’ Latin (Md.)/North Carolina

40. Tyler Frederick, A, McDonogh (Md.)/Ohio State

54. Mark McNeill, M, St. Mary’s Annapolis (Md.)/ North Carolina

55. Emmett Cahill, D, Loyola-Blakefield (Md.) /Maryland

80. Dom Lamolinara, G, St. Mary’s Annapolis (Md.)/ Maryland

82. Andrew Barton, M, St. Paul’s (Md.)/ Providence

83. Jeff Fountain, A,St. Paul’s (Md.)/ Georgetown

86. Phil Castronova , M,Calvert Hall (Md.)/ Johns Hopkins

96. Kevin O’Neil, A, Boys’ Latin (Md.) /Villanova

97. Alex Chay, M, St. Paul’s (Md.) Georgetown

MIAA is still pretty dominate. Off the 100 or so kids playing D1 from all Md schools, less then 30% are from public schools.

MIAA will always draw the vast majority of the best talent, but you are seeing more and more kids stay in the publics and are still able to get in to top academic/lacrosse schools.

The real question - is there value in paying $100,000 to $300,000+ for your child to attend a private school. So folks beleive their is

The real question - is there value in paying $100,000 to $300,000+ for your child to attend a private school. So folks beleive their is

The last 6 guys on your list are well below the rankings of the 5 public schoolers.

To me the real question is "is it worth it to pay $100000-$300000 to try to develop him into a top lacrosse player, if he can become a top lacrosse player in the publics."

I believe many of the better lacrosse schools on Long Island and throughout New York are public.

Is a change in the wind in Maryland with 5 highly touted public schooler, including POY in Balt.? As slapshot notes, there doesn't seem to be a real trend yet.

The last 6 guys on your list are well below the rankings of the 5 public schoolers.

To me the real question is "is it worth it to pay $100000-$300000 to try to develop him into a top lacrosse player, if he can become a top lacrosse player in the publics."

I believe many of the better lacrosse schools on Long Island and throughout New York are public.

Is a change in the wind in Maryland with 5 highly touted public schooler, including POY in Balt.? As slapshot notes, there doesn't seem to be a real trend yet.

What High School in this area costs $300,000.

Schools like Dulaney, Broadneck, Severna Park, Mt. Hebron, Centennial, Towson, and Annapolis have been producing consistent D1 players for a long time. MIAA is still very dominant, this summer I saw Calvert Hall win a tournament against regional all star teams from all over the country.

What High School in this area costs $300,000.

LOL. I was thinking exactly the same thing. None of the schools mentioned are boarding schools...which is where you can run up the tab, considerably.

To be honest, I even question the $100K figure? The true "private" schools, like Gillman or Severn can push that figure for 4 years...but I can't think of too many parochial schools that approach $25K/yr for tuition.

SS: Agreed. That figure is ridiculous.

As for dominance, I do not see it ending anytime soon. The reason is simple - Depth. Each of these schools has one great lacrosse player, MIAA schools have several on one team, backed up by guys who would easily start at any of the public schools in the area. I do not see that ending anytime soon.

and the reason for depth??

it's an even...simpler..."metric"...coaching. publix gotta employ typing teachers like nickerson @ ampipe while the privates hire whomever they want for bigger bux.

and it's not the college scholly's the elites are after...it's ego...like any deranged competitive parent (i.e. 99.99% of parents) but with the money to buy the skills (face it, lax is a low level x-game...locals can't compete with fla, texas, cali, the d.r., etc. in baseball and they can't buy the dna required to dominate at hoops and pigskin...yet) which is why the elites ultimately turn down umcp offers.

and the reason for "Depth"??

it's an even...simpler..."metric"...coaching. publix gotta employ typing teachers like nickerson @ ampipe while the privates hire whomever they want for bigger bux.

and it's not the college scholly's the elites are after...it's ego...like any deranged competitive parent (i.e. 99.99% of parents) but with the money to buy the skills. let's face it, lax is a low level x-game...wealthy locals can't compete with the south and foreigners in baseball and they can't buy the dna required to dominate at hoops and pigskin...yet...so what's left for rich white kids? this is why the elites ultimately turn down umcp offers...they don't need it. they'd pay for a princeton degree before riding at umcp.

oh yeah, elites'll try to buy michael phelps "talent" which is the racket bowman and other swim clubs catering to the rich are in but that wears out after the elites begin to get a clue that swimming is another case of "dna or not". it's just not so obvious cuz of skin color.

and the reason for "Depth"??

and it's not the college scholly's the elites are after...it's ego...like any deranged competitive parent (i.e. 99.99% of parents) but with the money to buy the skills. let's face it, lax is a low level x-game...wealthy locals can't compete with the south and foreigners in baseball and they can't buy the dna required to dominate at hoops and pigskin...yet...so what's left for rich white kids? this is why the elites ultimately turn down umcp offers...they don't need it. they'd pay for a princeton degree before riding at umcp.

oh yeah, elites'll try to buy michael phelps "talent" which is the dubious racket "swim clubs" are in but that wears out (slowly) after the elites get a clue that swimming is another case of "dna or not". it's just not so obvious cuz of skin color...but by the time it becomes apparent to the elite parents that they spawned no spitz, thousands have been spent and it's hard to extract from the sport. that's where lax comes in.

Don't discount the fact that kids with parents that can pay for private school tuition and transportation are more likely to be able to afford the out of state tuition or private college tuition at the D1 schools that offer only small partial scholarships or none at all for lax. Remember its 12.5 full for the entire 40+ man roster, and none at the ivies. So yes, private schools, and public schools from wealthy areas will continue to dominate.

yes...yes...lax to the wealthy, behind ego that is, is an admissions ticket, not a tuition ticket.

cuz the pecking order for admission to the ivy league is #1 celebrity, #2, jox, #3, non-celebrity donors, #4 ability to pay sans aid (i.e. liquid cash on the table), #5 SAT.

the list doest inclue any private schools I assume? that may be part of the issue.

yes...yes...lax to the wealthy, behind ego that is, is an admissions ticket, not a tuition ticket.

cuz the pecking order for admission to the ivy league is #1 celebrity, #2, jox, #3, non-celebrity donors, #4 ability to pay sans aid (i.e. liquid cash on the table), #5 SAT.

There is also the notion of 'legacy' at some Ivies, i.e., parents or grandparents went there.

Race can make a difference. They like to have racial diversity.

Even geography can make a difference, many of the ivies like to have some level of geographic diversity.

legacies usually do not fall below #4 (ability to pay in cash) in the pecking order.

race and geography are good points and true but that all comes in sifting through the leftovers on the #5 (SAT...the bottom-tier) level. they have absolutely no bearing on #'s 1 through 4.

I think the cost can get to $100,000 pretty fast if you are going to a private 4 year high school. if you attended lower school you could easily add another $50k or more depending on how many years. then add in another $50k for the PG year. and you may want to add in 4-5 years of $40k to $50 so junior can play ball at an "elite college". (bucknell dickinson etc)

you could easily spend $300,000 so your kid can play lax in college. add in the cost of clubs, camps, trainers, lessons etc an over the top family could spend a fortune. and if they have 3 kids....

Dickinson is the ultimate legacy school, I hear they take the vast majority of their frosh class from the early decision pool. This way the wealthy parents can claim that their moron spawn go to a "selective" school.

LOL. I was thinking exactly the same thing. None of the schools mentioned are boarding schools...which is where you can run up the tab, considerably.

To be honest, I even question the $100K figure? The true "private" schools, like Gillman or Severn can push that figure for 4 years...but I can't think of too many parochial schools that approach $25K/yr for tuition.

K through 12 at local private school such as Gilman would approach 300k. Just high school would be a little under 100k. These types of schools help with college admittance regardless of lacrosse. Sure it's a ton of money, but most, if not all, offer non-athletic financial aid. Athletic aid too, but of course, none of them call it that.

This message is hidden because Room222 is on your ignore list.

Ditto

K through 12 at local private school such as Gilman would approach 300k. Just high school would be a little under 100k. These types of schools help with college admittance regardless of lacrosse. Sure it's a ton of money, but most, if not all, offer non-athletic financial aid. Athletic aid too, but of course, none of them call it that.

I was just talking HS, or 4 years.

Absolutely insane, and a waste of money (IMO) to spend that much. If your kid is that smart, and it truely is about education, then get them into a IB program, for example. Will easily match anything you will find at a top private school, but at no cost to you. But for those that money is no object...well, to each their own. There is growing evidence that going to the best HS's, and then the best colleges is absolutely no assurance of success later in life. I know many unemployed Ivy grads. The only good argument I've heard for going to top private hs/colleges, was to get "exposure" to those kids who come from wealth and power.

I went to the privates, and I know the game. For what it's worth, there is no school in the metro area that can even come close to those exclusive NE prep boarding schools - in terms of both cost, and matriculation rates to top colleges.