• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 Ngata Nother Suggs

Ngata Nother Suggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

I got called in for jury duty this upcoming week, and I really don't feel like dealing with it. I have a hard deadline at work and cannot afford to miss time even though my employer would understand. I just don't want to do it. The last time I had it I was chosen to sit on a jury for three days. It was awful. If I call in the day before and my number is one that has to report, what happens if I just don't show up? I understand my civic responsibility, but now is not a good time for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "I still have an intense fire inside me, and I want to play"... Welcome back #85

#2 BIRDFANINGA

BIRDFANINGA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

I got called in for jury duty this week, and I really don't feel like dealing with it. I have a hard deadline at work and cannot afford to miss work even though my employer would understand. I just don't want to do it. The last time I had it I was chosen to sit on a jury for three days. It was awful. If I call in the day before and my number is one that has to report, what happens if I just don't show up? I understand my civic responsibility, but now is not a good time for me.

VERY BAD THINGS. Bench warrants come to mind.
May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows your dead.

#3 Ngata Nother Suggs

Ngata Nother Suggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

What if I say my car wouldn't start or something
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "I still have an intense fire inside me, and I want to play"... Welcome back #85

#4 alien bird

alien bird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:21 PM

Q. What happens if I don't report to jury duty or I fail to respond to the Court's questionnaire?

A. If you fail to report for jury duty or do not complete the questionnaire, you will receive a summons and be required to show cause to the Administrative Judge as to why this information was not provided or why you did not report. You may also be subject to arrest and a fine.

http://www.baltimore...faq.html#happen

That's Baltimore County, but I'm sure the laws are similar in any Maryland jurisdiction.

#5 BIRDFANINGA

BIRDFANINGA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

What if I say my car wouldn't start or something

You would still need to report. Judges don't take shirking the duty very well. The only way out is to prove your inability to show, i.e. a letter from your employer, National Guard service, etc.

#6 Ngata Nother Suggs

Ngata Nother Suggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

I did the online questionnaire thing when I got the summons.

Someone please give me a way how I can get out of this and not get in trouble. With my luck I'll get put on another trial for some drug dealer who hires some hotshot lawyer to drag out proceedings, and then get stuck in a deadlocked jury again.

#7 Cal in upstate NY

Cal in upstate NY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

I got called for jury selection, but they never called my name... I had an out anyways... I knew the prosecuting attorney and the lead investigator in the case.
If the judge had asked me if I could be unbiased, I would have told him "No. Since I know these guys, I don't believe they would lie to me about the accused."
I'm sure the accused man's lawyer would have voted me out of there.

-
-

Long suffering Oriole fan.

-

#8 alien bird

alien bird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

Someone please give me a way how I can get out of this and not get in trouble.

There isn't a way, really. You could have rescheduled, but if it is this coming week you're pretty much stuck. You can always get out of sitting for a trial by making some stupid biased statements when they call your number, but that's not a guarantee either.

I've served jury duty three times. Once I sat all day and didn't get called or picked; once I served on a two hour trial; once I was rejected by the defense voir dire. It isn't the end of the world. Democracy is sometimes inconvenient.

#9 Ngata Nother Suggs

Ngata Nother Suggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

I got called for jury selection, but they never called my name... I had an out anyways... I knew the prosecuting attorney and the lead investigator in the case.
If the judge had asked me if I could be unbiased, I would have told him "No. Since I know these guys, I don't believe they would lie to me about the accused."
I'm sure the accused man's lawyer would have voted me out of there.

-

Yeah but I don't even want to report.

#10 alien bird

alien bird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

Tough luck is my best guess . . .

#11 Ngata Nother Suggs

Ngata Nother Suggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

There isn't a way, really. You could have rescheduled, but if it is this coming week you're pretty much stuck. You can always get out of sitting for a trial by making some stupid biased statements when they call your number, but that's not a guarantee either.

I've served jury duty three times. Once I sat all day and didn't get called or picked; once I served on a two hour trial; once I was rejected by the defense voir dire. It isn't the end of the world. Democracy is sometimes inconvenient.

Yeah. It really is an inconvenience. Crap, I guess I just need to hope they don't need me when I call in. If I'm there I'll just do it and won't try to weasel out of it. I just don't want to have to go to the courthouse at all. Especially Towson.

#12 BIRDFANINGA

BIRDFANINGA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

And that is where the very bad things get started.

#13 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

My daugther got a murder trial a couple of years ago,it took six days.

#14 Ngata Nother Suggs

Ngata Nother Suggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

My call in number is 72.

Does anyone know if that is good? Does it mean I'm at the end of the line? It's a pretty big number so I hope it means I'm like a reserve or something.

#15 alien bird

alien bird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

I just don't want to have to go to the courthouse at all.

Don't you get something like $15 for lunch? That makes it worth it. ;)

#16 Cal in upstate NY

Cal in upstate NY

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

Looks like you have no other choice.

I haven't been called in 20 years... It's probably just luck... I wonder if voter registration has anything to do with it.
A long time ago, I switched from "Republican" to "blank" to stop getting political junk mail.
By becoming a "blank", maybe I got taken off the jury duty list as an added bonus... (Just a guess on my part.)

-
-

Long suffering Oriole fan.

-

#17 alien bird

alien bird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

My call in number is 72.

Does anyone know if that is good? Does it mean I'm at the end of the line? It's a pretty big number so I hope it means I'm like a reserve or something.

The call in number doesn't mean much. Maybe you'll get lucky, the dockets will be light, and when you call in they'll say numbers 1 - 200 need not report. Or something like that.

#18 Ngata Nother Suggs

Ngata Nother Suggs

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

Looks like you have no other choice.

I haven't been called in 20 years... It's probably just luck... I wonder if voter registration has anything to do with it.
A long time ago, I switched from "Republican" to "blank" to stop getting political junk mail.
By becoming a "blank", maybe I got taken off the jury duty list as an added bonus... (Just a guess on my part.)

-

That's the other thing. i don't know how they found me in Baltimore County. I'm registered to vote in Harford County and never changed it.

#19 alien bird

alien bird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,555 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

My call in number is 72.

This message is for Monday, September 13, 2010. If your call-in number is 1 through and including 283, report at 8:30 a.m. Thank you.

http://www.baltimore...t/jurycomm.html

#20 thinking_man

thinking_man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,197 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

Someone please give me a way how I can get out of this and not get in trouble. With my luck I'll get put on another trial for some drug dealer who hires some hotshot lawyer to drag out proceedings, and then get stuck in a deadlocked jury again.

The prosecutor did not want me and and despite the fact I was dressed somewhat professionally I was dismissed. I had a friend tell me it was a badge of honor.

This was a few years ago.

My suggestion is not to hassle with them and to go if your number gets called. I live in Montgomery County so I'm not sure if policy is any different but from what I remember you can go up to the judge and explain why you may not be fit to sit on the jury. The prosecutor and the defense has a say on who gets picked. I remember going up there and saying something but I thought it was minor. I do not remember exactly what I said but it may have been enough to get me dismissed. Either that or I was profiled.

Keep that in mind. There will likely be more people there than they need.

Did you have that opportunity the first time you went and declined?
Be smart and don't lie. But if it works the same way as it does here I think you can find a way to increase your chances of not getting picked.

Good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users