• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:52 PM

So I went to the Renn Fair last weekend and this was my first time in the area. This massive hospital complex that looked pretty much abandoned caught my eye and curiosity. It really looked interesting.

So today I remembered to google it and find that this was a black mental asylum built in the early 1900's and used up until 2004.

I can only imagine the history this building has.

Anyone have any stories or information on it? Any way possible to get a tour and take some photographs?

#2 KiaT

KiaT

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:04 PM

So I went to the Renn Fair last weekend and this was my first time in the area. This massive hospital complex that looked pretty much abandoned caught my eye and curiosity. It really looked interesting.

So today I remembered to google it and find that this was a black mental asylum built in the early 1900's and used up until 2004.

I can only imagine the history this building has.

Anyone have any stories or information on it? Any way possible to get a tour and take some photographs?

It wasn't only for blacks.
Why would you want to visit that place, unless you're hunting ghosts?

#3 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

It wasn't only for blacks.
Why would you want to visit that place, unless you're hunting ghosts?

according to everything I have read it sure was only for blacks

"The facility was enabled by an act of the Maryland General Assembly on 11 April 1910 as the Hospital for the Negro Insane of Maryland"

It wasn't integrated until the 1960's.

As for my reasons for going? I like to take pictures, I like history, and I like interesting places. Why do people like to dress up in silly outfits and shoot fake guns at each other in fields all weekend long? :)

#4 bluecrab420

bluecrab420

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

I had a friend that worked there but he has been dead over 20 years!

Here are some pictures from Google Images!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,531 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

"The facility was enabled by an act of the Maryland General Assembly on 11 April 1910 as the Hospital for the Negro Insane of Maryland"

As for my reasons for going? I like to take pictures, I like history, and I like interesting places. Why do people like to dress up in silly outfits and shoot fake guns at each other in fields all weekend long? :)

I visited a family member that was housed there for a while in the early 90s and I have to say -- it gave me the creeps even then -- and it wasn't the living patients that were creepy. It was the complex. <shriver>
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner was you.

#6 vietnam vet against the war

vietnam vet against the war

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,176 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

"The facility was enabled by an act of the Maryland General Assembly on 11 April 1910 as the Hospital for the Negro Insane of Maryland. This act also explicitly specified that the facility should not be located in Baltimore. On 13 Dec., 1910 the Board of Managers purchased farm land located at Crownsville, Maryland for the sum of $19,000 which had formerly been farmed for willow and tobacco."

http://en.wikipedia....Hospital_Center

Before the facility closed it was integrated. There was also an alcohol/drug detox unit on the campus, and I think a minimum security lock-up.

The last time I saw the hospital it looked like a perfect movie set for a 1920s-1940s film.

#7 KiaT

KiaT

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

I haven't figured that out either! :confused: :D

#8 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

I visited a family member that was housed there for a while in the early 90s and I have to say -- it gave me the creeps even then -- and it wasn't the living patients that were creepy. It was the complex. <shriver>

Yeah as we were driving past the place it seemed a bit creepy to me as well and that was before I even knew it was a mental asylum although I had a good hunch.

Looking at the google images for it I noticed that somebody posted interior shots of the hospital on their flickr page so they were able to get in somehow... legally or illegally.

#9 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

I haven't figured that out either! :confused: :D

see we all have silly hobbies. I'm sure you have something rather odd that interests you as well.... right? :D

#10 KiaT

KiaT

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

see we all have silly hobbies. I'm sure you have something rather odd that interests you as well.... right? :D

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! :eek:

:cool:

#11 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,531 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

I've gone to the Rennaisance Festival many times and it has always been fun. Hint -- go when it's drizzling -- less people and there is plenty of tree shelter. :)

#12 PaintLady

PaintLady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,306 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

that whole crownsville hospital complex has always given me the creeps when i have driven by it. creepy...indeed!!! :eek: :eek:
What happens when we're dead? The irony is that all our questions will be answered after we die. We spend our whole life trying to figure out the truth and the only way we'll find out what it is, is to get hit by a bus. And the only comfort for Christians is that God is driving that bus. - John Ryman

#13 Sprightly

Sprightly

Relaxing in Bimini

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54,531 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

Haunted:

http://www.flickr.co...tos/3850260104/

http://www.flickr.co...ice/3963500103/

This is good:

http://forgottenphot...ille/index.html

#14 ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:01 AM

The state still owns it, and AA county wanted to buy it but I believe the state said no.
Boys, set your batons to womp. But Chief, mine is stuck on twirl.

#15 sigmalady

sigmalady

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:21 AM

I remember going there as a little girl to visit a family member.

#16 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:39 AM

I worked with a guy (criminally insane) who had to go there once a month,they would check him out to make sure he was taking his meds. I remember a few times when they would regulate his meds and he was like a different person for a coulple of weeks. He loved going there,he always told me that it was very easy to get laid there. I remember discussions for years about closing it,the cost of runnning it and,it was full of asbestos. They got estimates on abatements that ran over a million dollars. You can clearly see from Debbie's pictures the asbestos pipe lagging and floor tile.

#17 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,570 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

Is this the place that's up for sale?

Nevermind...I was thinking of Glen Dale

#18 zenwalk

zenwalk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,729 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:08 AM

I worked with a guy (criminally insane) who had to go there once a month,they would check him out to make sure he was taking his meds. I remember a few times when they would regulate his meds and he was like a different person for a coulple of weeks. He loved going there,he always told me that it was very easy to get laid there.

Crownsville a place to get laid? LOL You sure you aren't confusing the place with the Renaissance festival? There is a lot of overlap.
"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#19 Brian

Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,188 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

Crownsville a place to get laid? LOL You sure you aren't confusing the place with the Renaissance festival? There is a lot of overlap.

Do you really think those people that were living there didn't have sex?

#20 Oriole-Bob

Oriole-Bob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

Hmm now I really want to go. I get creeped out, get cool pictures and get laid :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users