#1 kathaksung

kathaksung

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

10 of 11 Poorest States Are Red States!

http://www.huffingto...67.html#s146769

But why is it like that when GOP says their economic policy is much better?

#2 Dem-Dar-Hills

Dem-Dar-Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:18 PM

You did read where most of the states that are red only voted for a GOP president........ did you read where the majority of those states are actually controlled on a day to day basis by a Democratic Governor. It kinda puts things in perspective a little.. changes the flavor of your thread title.
It should read.

"10 of 11 poorest states controlled by Democratic Governor ..shouldn't it??"

#3 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,985 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:26 PM

Dueling banjos just doesn't pay what it used to I guess.
"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."
~George Washington

Has Obama Taken Away Your Guns Yet?

#4 dsummoner

dsummoner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,319 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:02 PM

Who gives a damn about the aggregate?:P

It is the individual that matters.;)
Vae Victus
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is -- the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Churchill
Of course we're trying to be tax-efficient. Who doesn't want to be tax-efficient?" - The Edge of U2 on the use of Dutch tax shelters.
Merchant of Death & Ascriber of Jahbulon.
My purity is corrupted by my humanity - Me.

Amir of the Kufr Mujahiddeen

#5 SunsetSue

SunsetSue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,518 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

1. Who controls the largest cities in those states?
2. What is the cost of living in those states, compared to the "rich" states?

#6 HotDoggy

HotDoggy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

LOLOLOLOL Mississippi, is that "really" a state or just an offshore home to union thugs? :)

#7 dsummoner

dsummoner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,319 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

Well... it is fitting that one tin-foil shrink-wrapped kook fringe nutter associates poverty with 'Red States' and the other tin-fin foil shrink-wrapped kook fringe nutter is a Gaian Warmer religious nut.:P:D

The nutteria is of the Left.
Vae Victus
Some regard private enterprise as if it were a predatory tiger to be shot. Others look upon it as a cow that they can milk. Only a handful see it for what it really is -- the strong horse that pulls the whole cart. - Churchill
Of course we're trying to be tax-efficient. Who doesn't want to be tax-efficient?" - The Edge of U2 on the use of Dutch tax shelters.
Merchant of Death & Ascriber of Jahbulon.
My purity is corrupted by my humanity - Me.

Amir of the Kufr Mujahiddeen

#8 catmandew

catmandew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:10 PM

You did read where most of the states that are red only voted for a GOP president........ did you read where the majority of those states are actually controlled on a day to day basis by a Democratic Governor. It kinda puts things in perspective a little.. changes the flavor of your thread title.
It should read.

"10 of 11 poorest states controlled by Democratic Governor ..shouldn't it??"

Maybe you could be so kind as to enlighten us as to which 4 of these Governors of the states in the article are Democrats?

Haley Barbour, Governor of Mississippi
Rick Perry, Governor of Texas
Mark Sanford, Governor of South Carolina
Bobby Jindal, Governor of Louisiana
Bob Riley, Governor of Alabama
"The CIA never did anything the White House didn't want. Sometimes they didn't want to do what they did."
Otis Pike

#9 BirdsWillFly

BirdsWillFly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

Maybe you could be so kind as to enlighten us as to which 4 of these Governors of the states in the article are Democrats?

What's that you can't fix?:D

#10 catmandew

catmandew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

1. Who controls the largest cities in those states?

I don't have time to research that at the moment.

And if it comes out anything like who the Governors of those States are, you should be thankful of that.

2. What is the cost of living in those states, compared to the "rich" states?

Ok, I know this one! It tends to be kind of low. But, you know what?

That's factored in already, and they still have the highest percentages.

In 2009, 14.3 percent of all Americans -- or 42.9 million people -- had incomes that fell below the official poverty line, which varies from state to state.

"The CIA never did anything the White House didn't want. Sometimes they didn't want to do what they did."
Otis Pike

#11 catmandew

catmandew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

What's that you can't fix?:D

Here's another fun fact.

Did you know that of the 5 Dem Governors, 4 were preceded by Republicans?

Ernie Fletcher, former Governor of Kentucky
Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas
Gary E. Johnson, former Governor of New Mexico
Don Sundquist, former Governor of Tennessee

But of course, I'm sure those States weren't poor back then. :rolleyes:
Otis Pike

#12 redleg

redleg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,419 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:16 PM

Texas is one of the 10 poorest states? Really? And how long has LA had a Repub governor? As you are so fond of saying, how long should it take for a Repub governor to correct the corruption and incompetence of generations of total Dem control?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

#13 redleg

redleg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,419 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:17 PM

Here's another fun fact.

Did you know that of the 5 Dem Governors, 4 were preceded by Republicans?

Ernie Fletcher, former Governor of Kentucky
Mike Huckabee, former Governor of Arkansas
Gary E. Johnson, former Governor of New Mexico
Don Sundquist, former Governor of Tennessee

But of course, I'm sure those States weren't poor back then. :rolleyes:

And how many of those governors suffered from Dem legislatures?
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#14 Lansdowne11

Lansdowne11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

It seems that political party affiliation isn't what determines wealth or poverty since the south has been historically poor whether controlled by Republicans or Democrats. People in those states do tend to be more conservative and more religious (predominantly Christian), and perhaps the world view that comes along with those characteristics makes it difficult to seek wealth.

#15 redleg

redleg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,419 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

It seems that political party affiliation isn't what determines wealth or poverty since the south has been historically poor whether controlled by Republicans or Democrats. People in those states do tend to be more conservative and more religious (predominantly Christian), and perhaps the world view that comes along with those characteristics makes it difficult to seek wealth.

The South is also the area being most inundated by illegals.

#16 Lansdowne11

Lansdowne11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:49 PM

The South is also the area being most inundated by illegals.

California seems to get its fair share as well. In any event, those states are probably least able to provide the kinds of services illegals demand, so their presence only makes matters worse for the legal residents.

Southern poverty and the conservative bent is an interesting mix since so many people in those states take advantage of the very social programs Republicans are fond of cutting. It would be interesting to see how those states would survive with deep cuts to social programs.

#17 catmandew

catmandew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:01 AM

Texas is one of the 10 poorest states? Really?

Well technically speaking, one of the States with the highest percentage of people living under the poverty level, yes.

And how long has LA had a Repub governor?

LOL I don't think they've ever had a Governor, of either party.

As you are so fond of saying, how long should it take for a Repub governor to correct the corruption and incompetence of generations of total Dem control?

Let's see now. The deep South tilted dramatically towards the Republicans after the passage of the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts of....what....1964 and 1965?
Otis Pike

#18 catmandew

catmandew

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:09 AM

And how many of those governors suffered from Dem legislatures?

http://tinyurl.com/39o2dt9
Otis Pike

#19 Dem-Dar-Hills

Dem-Dar-Hills

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:34 AM

Who's falt is it? Lets look at the Governors and Party History shall we.

1. Since Mississippi became a state, it has had 63 governors, including 55 Democrats and 5 Republicans.

2. Arkansas has had only 4 Republican Governors in the last 120+ years.

3. Kentucky, since 1931 only three of the nineteen elected governors have been from the Republican party. Ernie Fletcher, elected in 2003, was the last Republican to hold the office.

4. Washington D.C., this is where all the elected Goverment folks call Home..

5. New Mexico- 11 republicans from 1912 to current, 15- dems

6. West Virginia - 19-dems 15-repub (2001 to current-DEMs)

7. Alabama- 44- Dems 4-Repubs

8. Louisiana - 4- Repubs in the last 130 years

Should I go on.........

From the responses to the article.
It certainly sheds a different light than the title of the thread indicated and I'm sure with further investigation the whole truth will be exposed.
Even your response didn't come up with the requisite 10 states..did it?

#20 SunsetSue

SunsetSue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,518 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:24 AM

I don't have time to research that at the moment.

And if it comes out anything like who the Governors of those States are, you should be thankful of that.

Ok, I know this one! It tends to be kind of low. But, you know what?

That's factored in already, and they still have the highest percentages.

The "poverty line" is an arbitrary thing. I can live on a farm that I own, growing my own food and selling some from my own farm stand and be below the arbitrary gov't "poverty line" and still have a decent life without needing food stamps, etc.

The problem with gov't programs is that they are not designed to do what they should be doing; getting people off the dole and making them self supporting. They are designed to bring people onto the dole who were getting by just fine without it and making them gov't supported freeloaders who won't take care of themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users