thehats

AMC's "The Walking Dead"

400 posts in this topic

Great episode! 

Carol is a "force of nature!" 

At the risk of starting up a riot, did they just kill off Daryl? My guess is no.

Nope, don't think so, and I'm not entirely sure that Dwight is all that bad. 

Obviously the season finale is gonna be about Negan and uh....Lucille.  Only question is, who gets their skulls bashed in...

Git ready for the finale! Get some! 

Decent episode but I didn't like the cheap cliffhanger ending

My money is on Eugene being the member of Rick's group that Negan chose

They seemed to have given a lot of subtle hints that Eugene would be leaving

Edited by soulflower

I think it's going to be someone that will have a greater impact on another character than Eugene.

He would be my first pick as well. He proved himself and said his goodbyes. I think we also believe he ratted out his family but the new season will show he did not and paid the ultimate price for it. I thought the finale was excellent. 

A good read - http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/04/the-walking-dead-finale-who-dies-negan-kills-glenn-daryl-abraham-maggie-cliffhanger

I'd have to agree with their list.  It's going to be somebody that has way more impact than Eugene - and also, wasn't Eugene sitting off away from the row of Rick's group? 

Norman Reedus has a new show, so he's a pretty likely candidate.  The audio though that the article mentions, makes it seem pretty likely that they stick to the comics and it's Glenn.

This was a disappointing end to a disappointing season. The first half of the season largely dealt with the unbelievable incompetence of the Alexandria people with the one bright spot being the Morgan episode.

The second half of the season was a build up to the last ten minutes of and hour and half of largely watching the crew drive around in a RV. Then they cliff hung it. The only bright spot was the Carol episode.

At least we know the two bright spots of the season are the only two that could not have had a date with Lucille. I'm not sure who the two guys they hooked up with are.

This was a disappointing end to a disappointing season. The first half of the season largely dealt with the unbelievable incompetence of the Alexandria people with the one bright spot being the Morgan episode.

The second half of the season was a build up to the last ten minutes of and hour and half of largely watching the crew drive around in a RV. Then they cliff hung it. The only bright spot was the Carol episode.

At least we know the two bright spots of the season are the only two that could not have had a date with Lucille. I'm not sure who the two guys they hooked up with are.

I thought final episode was terrific.  I know some are upset because it was a cliffhanger, but c'mon, every shows does this kind of thing.  The RV parts were epic, and the scenes very memorable, especially as each roadblock grew in size and amounts of people.  Rick and his group were suddenly like rats in a maze, and in way over their heads.  The final scene with Negan was great - as with much of the show, extremely well cast in every way to match the comics when it's something from them.  The only two in the group (that were there) that I think it's won't be are Rick(obviously) and Carl(I won't go into why because I don't want to spoil anything).

Carol, well, I kind of feel(hope) that she is not long for this world.  Her death in the comics was disturbing, and I feel like they are building up to something equally if not more so for her.  There's kind of nowhere left to go, nothing more to tell with her.  Keeping her alive much longer is kind of silly.

Carol's death in the comics was a suicide over a feeling of not being wanted. Her character didn't develop at all. Carol in the TV show is more like Andrea in the comics.

Considering how Carol keeps getting the great plot lines and how awesome McBride is at playing her, she is one I hope sticks around. If they're not going to go with comics then my guess is that Daryl is the unfortunate one. His character isn't doing much these days and Reedus got a reality show from AMC.

The show could have been an hour long and still had the RV parts in it. Instead it got drug out.

Edited by SemiAuto

A good read - http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/04/the-walking-dead-finale-who-dies-negan-kills-glenn-daryl-abraham-maggie-cliffhanger

I'd have to agree with their list. It's going to be somebody that has way more impact than Eugene - and also, wasn't Eugene sitting off away from the row of Rick's group?

Norman Reedus has a new show, so he's a pretty likely candidate. The audio though that the article mentions, makes it seem pretty likely that they stick to the comics and it's Glenn.

I feel like they don't want people to use the Comics as spoilers for the show.

My first guess before the episode was Daryl. Mainly because he got his own show on AMC.

But watching the finale and the episodes leading up to it, I feel like they really built up Eugene's character the way they usually do before a character gets killed

I could be wrong of course but I think if they were going to stick with the comic book fate for Glenn they wouldn't have done it this way...

I have to disagree on the Second half of Season 6

I hated the first half of S6 but by the second half they totally overhauled the story building up to the meeting with Negan.

Last night's episode was a great climax for the season.

I also like the fact that Rick's leadership and decision making is being called into question by the consequences his group is facing.

His "shoot first-ask questions later" approach to dealing with strangers and other groups in the universe around Alexandria, put his group on the path that led to Negan putting all his resources into stopping Rick. Clearly, murdering all those unnamed and unknown Savior people was a terrible idea.

Negan may be no more of a villain than Rick

Carol's death in the comics was a suicide over a feeling of not being wanted. Her character didn't develop at all. Carol in the TV show is more like Andrea in the comics.

Considering how Carol keeps getting the great plot lines and how awesome McBride is at playing her, she is one I hope sticks around. If they're not going to go with comics then my guess is that Daryl is the unfortunate one. His character isn't doing much these days and Reedus got a reality show from AMC.

The show could have been an hour long and still had the RV parts in it. Instead it got drug out.

To be fair, there were at least 15 to 20 minutes of commercials.

The frequent commercial breaks were super annoying.

I hated the first half of S6 but by the second half they totally overhauled the story building up to the meeting with Negan.

I also like the fact that Rick's leadership and decision making is being called into question by the consequences his group is facing.

His "shoot first-ask questions later" approach to dealing with strangers and other groups in the universe around Alexandria, put his group on the path that led to Negan putting all his resources into stopping Rick. Clearly, murdering all those unnamed and unknown Savior people was a terrible idea.

They spent seven episodes building up to 10 minutes. Then they cliffhung it. Uhg.

How much do you want to bet the first episode of season seven mostly deals with Carol and Morgan and they two guys they hooked up with that doesn't resolve the cliffhanger? :)

I agree that there were a ton of commercials which drug the show out longer than it seemed.

Edited by SemiAuto

Totally agree (as well as with your following post about the commericals, which is why I always DVR it and wait a half hour or so to watch). 

Negan and Rick are more alike than not, though Negan might be a little on the crazy side and has basically built a cult around him. 

They spent seven episodes building up to 10 minutes. Then they cliffhung it. Uhg.

How much do you want to bet the first episode of season seven mostly deals with Carol and Morgan and they two guys they hooked up with that doesn't resolve the cliffhanger? :)

Point taken.

Blame AMC for the filler episodes. Although, I don't think there were any filler episodes in the second half of S6 except the one where Denise is killed.

The seasons for TWD really could be 12 to 13 episodes long but because it's such a big hit for AMC, they're required to stretch each season to 16 episodes.

Well, it's Glenn.

https://soundcloud.com/user-364948986/etc

You can hear him say "m-maggie" (just like the comic), and then Maggie among others screaming "Gleeeennnn!".

If that's true, the actors on the show, including the actress who plays Maggie, are lying when they say they don't know or haven't been told which character was killed.

http://fansided.com/2016/04/03/walking-dead-chandler-riggs-doesnt-even-know-who-negan-killed/

Obviously, even if they do know, they probably wouldn't be allowed to tell us.

If that's true, the actors on the show, including the actress who plays Maggie, are lying when they say they don't know or haven't been told which character was killed.

http://fansided.com/2016/04/03/walking-dead-chandler-riggs-doesnt-even-know-who-negan-killed/

Obviously, even if they do know, they probably wouldn't be allowed to tell us.

Definitely, and you know, it could be a smoke screen too just to fool people, but I read somewhere else that Yeun's contract ended, so it seems pretty likely. 

They accomplished what great shows do though - getting people to talk about it the entire offseason, and anticipate the next :)

I'm inclined to agree with this pair of reviews.

The only way for the show to blow the moment was to overplay its cliffhanger, to leave the audience with nothing as it cut to black for another six months. Viewers knew Negan was coming; we didn’t know who he’d kill off. Well, we still don’t know, and frankly I don’t care to know at this point. Watching “Last Day on Earth,” I realized it didn’t really matter to me who Negan picked for death—I was just steeling myself for the gory violence that would result. When a show’s cast is facing execution, and you’re not worried about losing any of them, then it’s time to say goodbye. Goodbye, Walking Dead. It’s been a wild six years, but it’s long past time to bid farewell, and a baseball bat to the head is as good a way as any.

and

I’m sure there’ll be plenty of viewers who, though upset by this cliffhanger, will tune in next season anyway. And I’m sure when the network gleefully announces its ratings for this finale, the numbers will be astronomical. Good for AMC, I guess. But more than just being a not-so-great show, The Walking Dead has turned into an aggressively cynical series that seems to care far, far less about giving viewers a good story than it does about getting them to watch at all costs. And if that means pretending to kill a major character and then playing coy for four episodes, or advertising a supposedly wild 90-minute finale that’s largely fluff plus commercials, or killing a mystery character onscreen but making fans wait half a year to find out who (while hyping the hashtag #WhoIsIt?)—then that’s fine by the showrunner Scott Gimple and co.

I'm not quite ready to quit the show but if they're going to continue to substitute hype for story then there isn't much point in watching anymore.

Edited by SemiAuto

I'm inclined to agree with this pair of reviews.

and

I'm not quite ready to quit the show but if they're going to continue to substitute hype for story then there isn't much point in watching anymore.

Yeah, the critics murdered the Finale yesterday but I disagree that it wasn't a good episode or that the Show runners were wrong in how they handled the finale.

I was more disappointed in how they handled the fake death for Glenn in the first half of the season. That was unnecessary and not well done.

The ambiguity about who died in the S6 finale I think was actually well done and should pay off when the show returns in October. 90% of the people saying they're quitting the show will almost certainly watch the S7 premiere.

Everyone by now knows Glenn's fate from the comics. I don't mind them keeping audiences guessing about how the TV show story line breaks from the Comics.

I have a question about the walkers on the show. How come they never seem to come across walkers who are little kids (4, 5, 6) or ones who are really old (70's & 80's)?

The first half of the season was terribad on two fronts. The complete incompetence of the Alexandria residents combined with Glenn fake death was just bad.

The second half of the season was a build up to the last 10 minutes. Season six was the worst season of TWD. There was very little for me to like about it. They had two good episodes out of 16.

You said before you didn't really care about the Alexandria characters being killed off because they weren't that interesting. Now they seem to be doing that with the rest of the cast. That is not a good thing.

How much do you want to bet that the season 7 opener deals with Carol and Morgan and not Negan?

I have a question about the walkers on the show. How come they never seem to come across walkers who are little kids (4, 5, 6) or ones who are really old (70's & 80's)?

Sophia? The one kid walker that the Alexandria kid freaked out about before becoming zombie chow.

Reality: kids are hard to work with. Kids in extensive zombie make up would probably be a lot harder to work with.

As for old people, even middle aged zombies look old so it is kinda hard to tell.

The first half of the season was terribad on two fronts. The complete incompetence of the Alexandria residents combined with Glenn fake death was just bad.

The second half of the season was a build up to the last 10 minutes. Season six was the worst season of TWD. There was very little for me to like about it. They had two good episodes out of 16.

You said before you didn't really care about the Alexandria characters being killed off because they weren't that interesting. Now they seem to be doing that with the rest of the cast. That is not a good thing.

How much do you want to bet that the season 7 opener deals with Carol and Morgan and not Negan?

I thought the build up and the last ten minutes were great. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was the perfect choice for Negan.

I think the second half of the season revolved more around steering the characters towards their meeting with Negan than trying to decide which main character gets killed off. And Negan's introduction was great.

I will be disappointed but not surprised if they pick up with Morgan and Carol instead of where they left off with telling us who Negan killed.

I honestly don't know where the show goes from this point on but I view that as more of a good thing than a bad thing. Too much of TWD's story arc was becoming too predictable. At least now they have me guessing.

For the first time in a while Rick looked truly afraid and his leadership role for the group going forward seems uncertain...

Edited by soulflower